Random Thoughts Thread

53 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

^nice.  It’s like August here in NE Ohio.  Was 91 and humid yesterday.  #MudFarmLife

Going to be cooler this weekend, though.  Driving up to Syracuse, NY for the weekend. 

Ughhhhh, Humid sucks big time. Also talk about making #MudFarmLife even more challenging. Loved the photos, thank you for keeping us updated on what goes on there. Enjoy the drive to Syracuse and rest as you deserve it.

Will the sister be going with you or just you this weekend?

Stay cool, I will! :P Loving this cool spring/start to summer.

7 hours ago, David said:

Ughhhhh, Humid sucks big time. Also talk about making #MudFarmLife even more challenging. Loved the photos, thank you for keeping us updated on what goes on there. Enjoy the drive to Syracuse and rest as you deserve it.

Will the sister be going with you or just you this weekend?

Stay cool, I will! :P Loving this cool spring/start to summer.

Yeah, she's going along..we are going to see Paul McCartney in concert (closest stop on his Got Back tour).   Should be fun and a change of scenery. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Random but timely thought:

TOMORROW is National Donut Day.

Check the chains and the indies for their specials so you can scarf down a donut or two.

National Doughnut Day 2022: Where to score freebies and deals (today.com)

• Thanks 1

Seems a giant price cut for Chevrolet BOLT is being done, up to 18 percent. That means a new starting price of $26,595 from $32,495 and the Bolt EUV will start at $28,195 down from $35,695.

GM to cut prices on EV Chevrolet Bolt up to 18 percent | Reuters

Could not find this on the GM web site.

4 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

You can probably make multiple stops ... just like one does during a "Costco lunch."

3 krispy creams in the general seattle area, wonder if I can hit them all. :P 

• Haha 1

Krispy Kreme glazed donuts are the best!

Dunkin' Donuts strawberry filled donuts are a close second. Well, the ones that I tasted and ate in the 70s and 80s at least.  Tim Hortons Donuts suck BIG TIME!!! 

I am not a big donut guy. We only have 1 Krispy Kreme location and its far from where I work and live. It was near my mother-n-law's house. But she passed away a couple of years ago so I dont visit that area anymore.  Therefore I dont eat donuts anymore. 

There is a Greek equivalent called τιγανίτες. English spelling tiganites.  Its fried dough smothered in honey. Sesame seeds are optional. Those I die for. Unfortunately my wife REFUSES to make me.  Since my mom and  mother-n-law passed away, I have no where to go and eat them anymore.  There is a place called MR. Puffs in the Montreal region that makes tiganites. There is an outlet near my restaurant. I just havent had the desire to go.  I miss my mom and mother-n-law.   :(  

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Krispy Kreme glazed donuts are the best!

Dunkin' Donuts strawberry filled donuts are a close second. Well, the ones that I tasted and ate in the 70s and 80s at least.  Tim Hortons Donuts suck BIG TIME!!! 

I am not a big donut guy. We only have 1 Krispy Kreme location and its far from where I work and live. It was near my mother-n-law's house. But she passed away a couple of years ago so I dont visit that area anymore.  Therefore I dont eat donuts anymore. 

There is a Greek equivalent called τιγανίτες. English spelling tiganites.  Its fried dough smothered in honey. Sesame seeds are optional. Those I die for. Unfortunately my wife REFUSES to make me.  Since my mom and  mother-n-law passed away, I have no where to go and eat them anymore.  There is a place called MR. Puffs in the Montreal region that makes tiganites. There is an outlet near my restaurant. I just havent had the desire to go.  I miss my mom and mother-n-law.   :(  

Yea, this looks yummy! 😋 🤤

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I'm not on board here.  I do not like Krisy Kreme donuts and their oil slick like glazing at all.  I will readily stop by Dunkin and I'm okay with Tim Horton's donuts as well.  I like the drier cake frosting of the latter two places.

These Greek treats sound similar to but look different from loukoumades, which always seem to be available at Greek festivals.  As much as I like Greek festivals, they can get pricey for their a la carte pricing.

Loukoumades-recipe-Greek-Donuts-with-Hon

If I have room after the meat, potatoes/fries, and baklava, I might try these.  And they are also good.

This conversation is useful because it's reminding me not to miss out on National Donut Day!

• Agree 2

So had to fill up both the Escalade ESV and Trailblazer SS. The SS takes premium and the Escalade regular. Gas fill-up for both today was $246.72.

Talk about crazy gas prices, good thing I do not just drive random these days and work from home.

• Sad 1

Tiganites and loukoumades are very very similar. In all honesty, I think one is a variation of the other. Tiganites being flat and individually being of different size and shape and usually bigger than loukoumades and loukoumades being made round and more uniform to each other.  

And  I was thinking more of loukoumades rather than tiganites to be honest.  My aunt used to make tiganites and my mom loukoumades.  I definitely preferred the loukoumades.  Been awhile...

Looks like @trinacriabob is more Greek than I am at this point.  LOL 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, David said:

So had to fill up both the Escalade ESV and Trailblazer SS. The SS takes premium and the Escalade regular. Gas fill-up for both today was $246.72.

Talk about crazy gas prices, good thing I do not just drive random these days and work from home.

We've had crazy gas prices in Quebec since the mid '80s to be honest. In Quebec now, its ludicrous.  Its Europe levels of high gas prices right now up here.  

EVs are looking better and better by the minute...

• Agree 1

This I found very interesting and so true about these types of cars.

10 Times Manufacturers Built Cars Gearheads Begged For... But No One Bought (hotcars.com)

Sad as many were pretty amazing cars. 

@oldshurst442 Seems the NSX are not selling and actually depreciating according to this story, maybe you could pick one up on the cheap.

• Haha 1

^^^

I could sell the idea to the wife as:

"Hey babe, its a hybrid!!!"

Or 

"Hey babe, Im in the middle of a mid-life crisis over here.  I NEED this car, capisce.   At least Im not out here trying to seduce younger chicks, amirite???!!!" 

Either quote with a thick, New Jersey mafioso Italian accent. 

While I play this song as I say these things...

2019 Acura NSX First Drive Review | Expert Reviews | AutoTrader.ca

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Seems the dealers and their crazy markups will be the death of some dealers and I am fine with that as long as I have a place to go and test fit myself in the EV.

Let the non-negotiable price of the EVs via online sales begin.

Dealer excessive greed be damn.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2022/06/01/ev-online-sales-ford-uber-lyft/7474822001/?gnt-cfr=1

WOW, Lots of news from Ford over the last 24hrs.

Ford CEO Forecasts $25,000 EV Price War, Brand's Future EVs Sold Online (insideevs.com)

Ford CEO anticipates EV price war, shakeout to favor China, and industry consolidation (greencarreports.com)

Electric car price war is coming, says Ford CEO - Electrek

Ford CEO sees electric vehicle price war as EV costs decline | MarketBeat

Ford CEO sees electric vehicle price war as EV costs decline - ABC News (go.com)

Ford CEO Jim Farley Says Direct Sales, No Ads, Will Sell Future EVs (thedrive.com)

So many more, but seems Ford sees the future to be online set price sales of EVs, price competition with auto companies selling EVs will end up costing some to close especially from China, but also in Japan, Europe and America. Not enough room for everyone, nor enough market for them all.

Interesting times we live in.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, David said:

WOW, Lots of news from Ford over the last 24hrs.

Ford CEO Forecasts $25,000 EV Price War, Brand's Future EVs Sold Online (insideevs.com)

Ford CEO anticipates EV price war, shakeout to favor China, and industry consolidation (greencarreports.com)

Electric car price war is coming, says Ford CEO - Electrek

Ford CEO sees electric vehicle price war as EV costs decline | MarketBeat

Ford CEO sees electric vehicle price war as EV costs decline - ABC News (go.com)

Ford CEO Jim Farley Says Direct Sales, No Ads, Will Sell Future EVs (thedrive.com)

So many more, but seems Ford sees the future to be online set price sales of EVs, price competition with auto companies selling EVs will end up costing some to close especially from China, but also in Japan, Europe and America. Not enough room for everyone, nor enough market for them all.

Interesting times we live in.

I can't imagine missing dealing with a salesperson. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I can't imagine missing dealing with a salesperson. 

I would rather pay a set price and have a professional customer service center than deal with the idiots that attempt to play manipulation games at the dealership of today.

I know @Robert Hall would too, maybe this is a tech thing as I do not miss the haggling to get a price and have them attempt to manipulate people on their purchases.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, David said:

I would rather pay a set price and have a professional customer service center than deal with the idiots that attempt to play manipulation games at the dealership of today.

I know @Robert Hall would too, maybe this is a tech thing as I do not miss the haggling to get a price and have them attempt to manipulate people on their purchases.

Oh I don't think it's a tech thing. I don't know anybody who looks forward to dealing with those people. 

Funny enough, the price haggling is probably the only part of the transaction that I don't hate. Them trying to upsell me on every little thing and then proceeding to try and convince me I need all of those upcharges, is what drives me the most nuts. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, David said:

Yes, I have no interest in dealing with the obsolete business model of random pricing and dealerships with idiotic sales drones..    But we would still need some sort of service centers (though cars today require much less maintenance than in ancient times). 

Edited by Robert Hall

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes, I have no interest in dealing with the obsolete business models of random pricing and dealerships with idiotic sales drones..like any other consumer product, the price should be fixed.    But we would still need some sort of service centers (though cars today require much less maintenance than in ancient times). 

Not all consumer products have fixed pricing. Walk into a store then go online to Amazon. You'll find varying prices for the same item. Home appliances have random/holiday sales and 0% financing throughout the year as well. Cell phones are the same exact way. 

The more I think about it, the more I think prices vary more often than you'll find the same exact thing for the same exact price everywhere. 

12 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes, I have no interest in dealing with the obsolete business model of random pricing and dealerships with idiotic sales drones..    But we would still need some sort of service centers (though cars today require much less maintenance than in ancient times). 

Jim Farley per the stories I posted above has said he sees the future where all Ford Dealers are Professional Customer Service Centers, not dealerships. He stated you would order the EV from Ford's web site and choose which service center to pick it up at.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Not all consumer products have fixed pricing. Walk into a store then go online to Amazon. You'll find varying prices for the same item. Home appliances have random/holiday sales and 0% financing throughout the year as well. Cell phones are the same exact way. 

The more I think about it, the more I think prices vary more often than you'll find the same exact thing for the same exact price everywhere. 

Prices do vary depending on who is selling, but they are still fixed at a specific point in time and vendor..i.e. I don't go in the Apple store and haggle, or go on Amazon and haggle.   It's not a flea market...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Prices do vary depending on who is selling, but they are still fixed at a specific point in time and vendor..i.e. I don't go in the Apple store and haggle, or go on Amazon and haggle.   It's not a flea market...

I understand what you're saying but is it all that different with car shopping? Call 5 different dealers and get 5 different prices? Go to 5 different stores and a pound of chicken breast is 5 different prices...and I'd wager it's all coming from the same or maybe only two different sources. 

I understand the haggling aspect you're talking about and I understand what you mean. 

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I understand what you're saying but is it all that different with car shopping? Call 5 different dealers and get 5 different prices? Go to 5 different stores and a pound of chicken breast is 5 different prices...and I'd wager it's all coming from the same or maybe only two different sources. 

I understand the haggling aspect you're talking about and I understand what you mean. 

Yeah, but the pound of chicken breast doesn't have to go to the sales manager to see if he can do anything on your trade, and he doesn't add two basis points to your loan's interest rate, and he doesn't try and sell you undercoating, and the price doesn't magically go up if you decide to pay cash.... and so on.

I would like to go to the store, select the options I want, check the box (or not) for CadillacCare Warranty, opt for financing (or not) with no dealership overhead, and get an upfront amount on my trade if I have one.

The process should be as simple as buying a phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah, but the pound of chicken breast doesn't have to go to the sales manager to see if he can do anything on your trade, and he doesn't add two basis points to your loan's interest rate, and he doesn't try and sell you undercoating, and the price doesn't magically go up if you decide to pay cash.... and so on.

I would like to go to the store, select the options I want, check the box (or not) for CadillacCare Warranty, opt for financing (or not) with no dealership overhead, and get an upfront amount on my trade if I have one.

The process should be as simple as buying a phone.

All great points and I completely agree. 

Just the idea of the dealerships being able to sway your interest rates should be illegal. They should be required to show you all of your financing options if you aren't already being financed through your own bank or paying cash. 

They just tell you the rate and you're either okay with that or your not. 

Just a couple weeks ago I was talking to a female coworker who was vehicle shopping and she got financing through her bank ahead of time and when she was ready to buy the Nissan dealership was going to charge her MORE because she wasn't financing through them. Smartly, she walked and found another Rogue Sport that she wanted where the dealership wasn't playing games with her. 

• Agree 1

On 6/3/2022 at 9:06 AM, David said:

snag_54d7621c.png

I did the donut thing TWICE on Friday.  Just to be a goofball.

I figured something like this national day calendar existed.  I will have to download it and circle the events that interest me.

On 6/3/2022 at 12:45 PM, ccap41 said:

I don't know anybody who looks forward to dealing with those people. 

Funny enough, the price haggling is probably the only part of the transaction that I don't hate. Them trying to upsell me on every little thing and then proceeding to try and convince me I need all of those upcharges, is what drives me the most nuts. 

I look at this in a different way.  

It's all about whether you "like" your salesperson or not.  If you don't "like" them - and you usually know that fairly quickly - then it's hard for them to sell you anything you don't want, including some car you were investigating in a noncommittal, information gathering sort of way.

It's easy to say NO.

The few times I've bought - new (and keep them for a long time), they gave me a real good price right away, or I got a good price along with some rebate or card earnings applied, and I signed on the dotted line.

I've got some great NO stories and, of course, most of them would have an adversarial quality.  But I've got a NO story that stands out to me as funny.

When I was looking at LaCrosse-Grand Prix-Monte Carlo, I went into a Pontiac dealership and was looking at some Grand Prixs.  The salesman was really laid back and friendly.  It turned out he was related to this family business and wasn't that motivated.  He said something like along these lines, 'Open it up, check it out, I'll get the keys, and we'll take her for a spin.  Just for the heck of it.'   He was going, 'Yeah, drive on this freeway, step on the gas, check out this long ramp, drive down this road next to the river, blah, blah.'  It's like he wanted to joyride and talk.  I told him I had been in South Florida a month or so before, to which he responded, "Yeah, I was down in Lauderdale once ... had a great time chasing skirt."  We drove back to the dealership, I thanked him, got his card, and drove off in my car laughing.  In this case, I didn't want to give him the business because he was such a flake, in addition to deciding that I would not be buying that car of the three I was considering.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

On 6/6/2022 at 12:38 AM, oldshurst442 said:

And then California comes along  to renew my love affair with her.  

There are a lot of "messed up" people because they like both New York and California and, because they get into these moods, they tend to move back and forth.  This would be people who have that sort of money.  And some of these people have residences in both places.

Say it all with a New York accent:

When in New York:  "the weather is awful"

When in California:  "there is no culture here,"  "you can't get good food at 1 a.m."

They love to whine.
- - - - -

The second photo looks more like La Jolla (San Diego) even though I was thinking it could be near Palos Verdes or Laguna Beach, but I'm not sure.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

There are a lot of "messed up" people because they like both New York and California and, because they get into these moods, they tend to move back and forth.  This would be people who have that sort of money.  And some of these people have residences in both places.

Say it all with a New York accent:

When in New York:  "the weather is awful"

When in California:  "there is no culture here,"  "you can't get good food at 1 a.m."

They love to whine.
- - - - -

The second photo looks more like La Jolla (San Diego) even though I was thinking it could be near Palos Verdes or Laguna Beach, but I'm not sure.

I used to have to do yearly tradeshows in NY City and hated it, smelly, decay and the subway system is nasty dirty and smelly. So glad no more tradeshows are done in that overpriced, over crowded place. Yet, I get the photographic possibilities of living there. Still way to crowded for me to ever go back again.

On the other hand while the sunsets can be amazing, southern California is crazy crowded too and has it's own weird smell of decay and way too many people that do not care about others property and damage it then you have the lack of clean water, restrictions are in place for most of southern California and the heat sucks.

Yup will pass on living or visiting either place.

• Haha 1

Interesting, Polestar has debuted their First Performance SUV.

Polestar to debut first electric performance SUV, Polestar 3, in October 2022 - Polestar Global Media Newsroom

Production will start at the begining of 2023 and full details will come out on October 2022 as well reservations open. Production to be done in the USA for the market and China production for local and EMEA market.

653378_20220607_Polestar_3.jpg

Polestar has produced two electric performance cars. The Polestar 1 was built between 2019 and 2021 as a low-volume electric performance hybrid GT with a carbon fibre body, 609 hp, 1,000 Nm and an electric-only range of 124 km (WLTP) – the longest of any hybrid car in the world.

The Polestar 2 electric performance fastback is the company’s first fully electric, high volume car. The Polestar 2 model range includes three variants with a combination of long- and standard range batteries as large as 78 kWh, and dual- and single-motor powertrains with as much as 300 kW / 408 hp and 660 Nm.
From 2022, Polestar plans to launch one new electric vehicle per year, starting with Polestar 3 – the company’s first electric performance SUV. Polestar 4 is expected to follow in 2023, a smaller electric performance SUV coupe.
In 2024, the Polestar 5 electric performance 4-door GT is planned to be launched as the production evolution of Polestar Precept – the manifesto concept car that Polestar released in 2020 that showcases the brand’s future vision in terms of design, technology, and sustainability. As the company seeks to reduce its climate impact with every new model, Polestar aims to produce a truly climate-neutral car by 2030.

Ford has sided with California on setting stricter air standards and a move to EVs. Seems this time they also agree with the EPA as they reverse the attempts to roll back clean air and water standards from the last administration. Now just have to get all the other auto companies to get on board with this.

Ford Sides with EPA and California in Lawsuit to Allow Tougher Clean Air Standards | Ford Media Center

3 hours ago, David said:

I used to have to do yearly tradeshows in NY City and hated it, smelly, decay and the subway system is nasty dirty and smelly. So glad no more tradeshows are done in that overpriced, over crowded place. Yet, I get the photographic possibilities of living there. Still way to crowded for me to ever go back again.

On the other hand while the sunsets can be amazing, southern California is crazy crowded too and has it's own weird smell of decay and way too many people that do not care about others property and damage it then you have the lack of clean water, restrictions are in place for most of southern California and the heat sucks.

Yup will pass on living or visiting either place.

They dont make songs about Seattle tho...

Of ALL the musical genius that came out of Seattle, and there is a LOT,  NONE have sung about Seattle... 

If you could make it there, you could make it anywhere is talking about NY not Seattle.   The little old lady who drives a super stock Dodge is from Pasadena, NOT Seattle. 

NYC is home to Batman, Superman, Spiderman.

Macaulay Culkin was left alone IN New York, NOT Seattle.  (Originally in Chicago)

Dell Griffin and Neil Page were working IN NY to get to Chicago.  They wouldnt even think about being in Seattle one iota... (cute little reference there) 

Crocodile Dundee visited NY AND Los Angeles.  NOT Seatltle. 

New York is FAMOUS for its subway system and taxis...  

LA is famous for its hot rodding, roller skating,  surfer lifestyle.

NYC and LA overcrowded and overpriced?   Lets talk about overcrowded and overpriced...coffee from Starbucks.  How about we add another adjective starting with over.  Overrated coffee from Starbucks.  

California has its own music sound.  Same for NYC.  NYC was home to many musical sounds.

Seattle has...grunge 🤮

Whoa.

Best Whoa GIFs | Gfycat

Where did all that hatred come from???

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, David said:

Interesting read for those that like input from Sandy Munro.

Be Warned: Only Tesla, Ford & Rivian May Survive, Says Industry Expert (insideevs.com)

Although I like Sandy Munro, I dont understand how he could come to a conclusion that only 3 (presumably he is ONLY talking about the ones from the US) automakers to survive when he

1. hasnt really seen anything Ultium from GM because GM hasnt really launched anything Ultium just yet therefore cannot possibly see what or how Utlium will do in the market place.  He hasnt been able to see and give an opinion on Ultium on how good or bad or how it compares to Tesla, Ford and Rivian...

How does HE know what tech the Lyriq will have? 

How does HE know what the public will do for the Lyriq?

How does HE know how the EV Silverado will fare against the F150 EV both in the market place and tech wise?

2. Hasnt really seen anything of concrete from Rivian.  Other than that one SUV...  And isnt Rivian currently having production woes and financial woes?  Let them get by the chip shortage, the inflation, the production woes of 2022 and 2023 and possibly 2024 and THEN we could talk about Rivian becoming the new Big 3 from Detroit...  Is Rivian even from Detroit? 

3. Ford.  Nothing really concrete from Ford either. Other than the Mach E.  The F150 EV aint out yet.  He hasnt seen it to tear it down...  

Pretty bold statements to make also considering that Tesla's quality issues are a huge concern and Tesla's manufacturing capabilities are STILL questionable REGARDLESS if people will always flock to Tesla.  People cant buy a Tesla if Tesla cant produce the cars to meet demand. IF Ford is THAT good, then people WILL go to Ford if Tesla cant meet demand.

And they (Tesla) CANT meet demand. They increase production, quality goes further down the shyytter...   Tesla stays neutral to where they can comfortably build, produce and have decent quality, and it WONT be enough.  GM will further get left over sales... especially if Utlium is that good as they say it is...  And they means not only GM engineers, other folk not named Sandy Munro...

He is like, dooming GM without ANY knowledge... 

He doomed the Mustang Mach E BEFORE he tested it...   He tested it, he NOW believes Ford will survive and continue to be Big 3.

He doomed Tesla too at one time...

As much as I like him, I thought he was a blowhard then, and with this, I think he continues to be a blowhard and full of himself...

Although I DO acknowledge the importance of what he does. I DO acknowledge  his knowledge.  However, he is like many of them, too phoquing cocky.

Bob Lutz, Peter DeLorenzo, himself (Sandy Munro),  all cut from the same know-it-all cloth blowhards... 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

According to DeLorenzo, rant from June 8 2022 episode 1149, Ford has ominous signs and a shaky future...

http://www.autoextremist.com/

By Peter M. DeLorenzo 

Detroit. The more things change, the more things remain the same it seems. After enduring a withering barrage of front-page stories in the Detroit Free Press over the last two-plus years praising Ford and its “Golden Boy” CEO, and seeing Wall Street-types duped by the endless – and breathless – orchestrations by Ford PR Chief Mark Truby and his minions hook, line and sinker, you might get the impression that Ford, led by its “I’m a genius just ask me” CEO, was the Detroit automaker of the moment... and the future.

Moreover, to even the most casual observers in this town, there is no other car company operating here, thanks to the Freep and Truby’s PR minions. It is so Ford, Ford, Ford, all-the-time and 24/7, that a tip of the hat must go out to Truby, who has laid down such an impenetrable PR Fog of War that even the most jaded practitioners on Wall Street have been sucked in. This is image wrangling at its finest, although there are ominous signs that all is not well in Dearborn.

The first ominous sign? Even though Ford has a lead in EVs, albeit temporarily, and everything is projected as being so rosy for Ford’s future that all rational evaluations of the company have been meticulously buried in Truby’s “bunny rabbits and rainbows” schlock offensive, we’re getting dangerously close to a photo op of Ford’s CEO walking on water for the assembled multitudes in the automotive media.  

That all of this positive affirmation seems to be going to the Ford CEO’s head is obvious, and not in the least surprising. The “boy genius” has long been enamored with the dulcet tones of his own thought balloons – that is certainly no secret in these parts – but his propensity for unsolicited public bloviation has grown to gargantuan proportions of late. That Ford’s CEO is starting to sound a lot like the Bloviator-in-Chief – Elon Musk – is beginning to alarm some in the Ford sphere of influence. (You know who you are.) Riffing about what the “new” Ford will look like, with its dealers relegated to mere functionaries as Ford moves blatantly toward the path laid down by Musk with his direct-sell, non-negotiable, one-price mantra may have perked up some Wall Street-types’ ears, but the lingering reality is that Ford has a long, long way to go before it gets even close to making that happen. And that the company has the propensity to take five steps back at a moment’s notice.

To wit: The second ominous sign. What is the one thing that I’ve been warning about when it comes to the “new” Ford and all of its PR-orchestrated protestations insisting that it’s a brand-new day, powered by a new, visionary CEO, which will result in the most forward-thinking car company in the world? The company’s inability to launch a new vehicle without some nightmare problem that crops up that well and truly screws everything up. 

And no, as is Ford’s wont, we’re not talking about a loose fitting or an annoying interior amenity malfunction. It is inevitably something big, so big that there isn’t a rug big enough that it can be swept under, or nearly enough PR minion foggers to cover it up. 

What is it this time? Oh, just a little thing about massive engine failures in the new Bronco. Now, normally, anything about Ford always ends up on Page One in the Freep, and it is so gushingly positive that you need a very large shovel to dig through it to find the actual newsworthy tidbits. 

Sunday’s front page was decidedly different. Maybe that had something to do with Jamie L. Lareau’s 7500-word feature on Mary Barra, which was the dominant story beginning on Page One and going on for three continuing full pages inside. The most comprehensive profile of GM’s CEO to date, it was well worth the read, by the way. 

But buried – and I mean buried – on the lower right corner of the METRO section, which was Page Four in Sunday’s paper, was the following headline:

2021 Ford Bronco owners report ‘catastrophic engine failures.’

Quite the opposite of what Sandy Munro suggests with Ford...

Both opinions have some hard core truths to them.  At the end of the day, both remain opinions...    

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

They dont make songs about Seattle tho...

Of ALL the musical genius that came out of Seattle, and there is a LOT,  NONE have sung about Seattle... 

If you could make it there, you could make it anywhere is talking about NY not Seattle.   The little old lady who drives a super stock Dodge is from Pasadena, NOT Seattle. 

NYC is home to Batman, Superman, Spiderman.

Macaulay Culkin was left alone IN New York, NOT Seattle.  (Originally in Chicago)

Dell Griffin and Neil Page were working IN NY to get to Chicago.  They wouldnt even think about being in Seattle one iota... (cute little reference there) 

Crocodile Dundee visited NY AND Los Angeles.  NOT Seatltle. 

New York is FAMOUS for its subway system and taxis...  

LA is famous for its hot rodding, roller skating,  surfer lifestyle.

NYC and LA overcrowded and overpriced?   Lets talk about overcrowded and overpriced...coffee from Starbucks.  How about we add another adjective starting with over.  Overrated coffee from Starbucks.  

California has its own music sound.  Same for NYC.  NYC was home to many musical sounds.

Seattle has...grunge 🤮

Whoa.

Best Whoa GIFs | Gfycat

Where did all that hatred come from???

Yea, why bother singing about the Bluest sky's are in Seattle, we have so much rain! ;)

Grunge is blah to me but then most music is blah in one way or another.

Little old Lady from Pasadena is another over rated place much like NY, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, etc. etc. etc.

Super Stock Dodge is interesting, but not reliable, but then what is from Ford or GM or any of them, they all wear out and have issues in one way or another.

Spiderman is Meh, never been a fan of him

Batman is OK, but then again, nothing special other than rich enough to afford the toys to make him different.

Superman is cool, but then he grew up in the farm belt, so a well-grounded man.

Only idiot parents would leave their kid home alone multiple times. Nope, not sold on the actor, story line or the city.

Dell and Neil who? never heard of them, clearly not worth my time to look up.

Crocodile Dundee returned to the outback, better place than either NY or LA.

Yea, about the cesspool of bacteria in the subway and taxis, hard pass, NY can keep it along with all the other problems they face.

Could car less about roller skating, surfer lifestyle, hot rodding is cool, but then it can be done anywhere.

Agree totally Starbucks coffee sucks, but then so does coffee in general, hate the smell, taste, etc. Worthless drink, does not touch my lips.

NYC has some cool music schools, but otherwise not much else except for inflated egos, excess moron lawyers and extremely greedy financial market folks.

Hatred, nope, you were just being honest on your viewpoint, and I can respect that! :) 

After all, we all have viewpoints, much like we all have assholes! :P 

• Haha 3

@David   

Stick Your Tongue At Someone GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

A group from QUEENS singing about California!!!

New York rappers trading places with California's own beach bum Beach Boys doin' the wipeout

They all got that New York Groove, baby

PS:

Dell Griffith and Neil Page.  

You havent seen this movie?  You are missin' out.  Its a holiday classic. Its reallyy really funny. I suggest you watch it, around Thanksgiving, of course.  Its a GREAT movie!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

@oldshurst442-I should add that despite your hate for grunge, there are other big names from Seattle that long predate the grunge scene. Heart and Queensryche for starters. 

I dont hate grunge.

Not my favorite style. But I dont hate it. 

I HATE Nirvana though.  But its more for the group and singer rather than the style of music. 

But when all is said and done, Its called a joke.  

Sorry to disappoint you in you thinking I was serious.   I thought maybe the Back to the Future Gif was an indication...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Not entirely true. “Original Fire” by Audioslave is about Seattle and their music scene in the early 90s. 

Again joke and sarcasm...

But you got to admit. More of the WORLD's pop culture, not just the US pop culture,  talks about NYC and California than they do about Seattle...    If they actually do talk about Seattle at all... 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

But you got to admit. More of the WORLD's pop culture, not just the US pop culture,  talks about NYC and California than they do about Seattle...    If they actually do talk about Seattle at all... 

I think of Seattle as a green and rainy tech hub, known for '90s grunge (I love Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, not much into Nirvana), home of Starbucks, historical home of Boeing..  I like it there..if I ever move back West, it's near the top of my list.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 4

29 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I dont hate grunge.

Not my favorite style. But I dont hate it. 

I HATE Nirvana though.  But its more for the group and singer rather than the style of music. 

But when all is said and done, Its called a joke.  

Sorry to disappoint you in you thinking I was serious.   I thought maybe the Back to the Future Gif was an indication...

I agree 1000% about Nirvana. Vastly overrated. And it wasn’t taken as being serious Olds. Just pointing it out that Seattle was known for more than grunge at one point. 

23 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Well of course because those are much larger population hubs with longer histories than Seattle. For a city it’s size though, it has supplied some pretty damn good music. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 3

19 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I think of Seattle as a green and rainy tech hub, known for '90s grunge (I love Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, not much into Nirvana), home of Starbucks, historical home of Boeing..  I like it there..if I ever move back West, it's near the top of my list.  

I too, love Pearl Jam. 

Of course Boeing.

I was just using the most simplistic stereotype of each region be funny. For shytes and giggles.  

I have nothinh against Seattle. Other than maybe, the rain.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1