Random Thoughts Thread

12 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

What are considered the top 3 or 3 most popular (storage) clouds?

Any opinions or links to a diluted tech article on this topic?  

Thanks.

Windows or Apple matters. Also what you’re storing.

I use OneDrive. $99 for 18 months at Costco or Sam’s and it includes the entire MS Office Suite plus 1TB of storage. Works great on Windows, only so-so on a Mac. It’s great for backing up phone photos regardless of OS. You can share your subscription with 4 additional people and they each get their own 1TB of storage.

If you’re on Apple, I’d just go with iCloud+. Comes with Apple Music plus a bunch of other services. Let’s you sync laptop to phone super easily. Take a picture on your phone and it’s on your Mac laptop photo album in a few seconds. An alternative is Box, it integrates into MacOS a bit better than OneDrive, but on iOS it isn’t as good as OneDrive.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks.

Windows.  And, if a person has more than 1 hotmail/outlook account they've used over the years, how do you decide or indicate which one it attaches to in terms of the subscription, payment, etc.? 

25 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Thanks.

Windows.  And, if a person has more than 1 hotmail/outlook account they've used over the years, how do you decide or indicate which one it attaches to in terms of the subscription, payment, etc.? 

You log into the account you want it attached to.  If you get it through a warehouse club, they’ll email you a signup link.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

And for God's sake @David

There arent many vehicles that will accomodate you bro.  You are 6 feet 6 inches tall with a bodybuilder's build..  

We have discussed this.... YOU  are NOT the metric to go by for interior space...

Have you been to Japan?

I havent. 

But Ive read that Japanese apartments are TINY...

Are you gonna say Japan sucks because YOU will NOT fit inside some of Tokyo's space efficient apartments?

Stop it already with your constant need to prove interior space performance using your metrics as a standard.  Its not a good argument from you...

Hey McFly,

I went to college and graduated from Kobe University. I know Japan way better than you and yes, everything is tiny there, but when my 5'8" tall wife hits her head trying to get into a Tesla X and finds the space tight to allow other adults to sit behind her, they have an interior problem.

End of Line!

7 hours ago, ccap41 said:

You did notice the differences in headroom between the X and Lyriq, right? One has much more leg room but the other had much more head room. 

3+ inches more headroom in front and 3+ inches more headroom in back, per your pictures.

The 3rd row seat in the Model X is a joke and it certainly feels like they did it just to say they could. 

And as I said, until I try it for myself, who knows. Yet, I have stated while they say it has more headroom, my wife would disagree with Tesla due to hitting her head to get in and out and the way their jellybean shape tends to fold in.

Maybe Tesla is measuring from the center of the vehicle, who knows but paper is paper, and you are right on head room, on paper, Tesla beats LYRIQ, but in reality, it fails.

4 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

What are considered the top 3 or 3 most popular (storage) clouds?

Any opinions or links to a diluted tech article on this topic?  

Thanks.

From a tech standpoint and as one that works in the Cloud and sells cloud services to companies, you have a very wide paintbrush stroke on your question.

Are you looking for cloud storage for personal or business use?

What is your preferred tech access type? (Android, Windows, Apple, Linux, etc.)

Please post more specifically what you are wanting to use it for as your use case will dictate the choices.

If you are wanting to just learn about what the cloud is, then let me know that and I can point you to info about the Cloud, but please let me know if you are looking at personal or business use. There are huge differences that most do not realize about the various Cloud options out there.

EDIT: OK, I see personal based on @Drew Dowdell and your discussion above. Sorry I was late to the party, Drew nailed it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, David said:

Hey McFly,

I went to college and graduated from Kobe University. I know Japan way better than you and yes, everything is tiny there, but when my 5'8" tall wife hits her head trying to get into a Tesla X and finds the space tight to allow other adults to sit behind her, they have an interior problem.

End of Line!

And as I said, until I try it for myself, who knows. Yet, I have stated while they say it has more headroom, my wife would disagree with Tesla due to hitting her head to get in and out and the way their jellybean shape tends to fold in.

Maybe Tesla is measuring from the center of the vehicle, who knows but paper is paper, and you are right on head room, on paper, Tesla beats LYRIQ, but in reality, it fails.

Not end of line.

There is no vehicle out there that any human can simply sit it and not bump into something.   One must contort in a way not to bump something even in an Escalade....  

Im 5 feet 6 and a half inches tall and I could bump my head in the Escalade.   Or Trailblazer. Or Fusion.. Or Acura.  Or 1980s B Body fullsize GM.  I have bumped my head in a 1992 Chevy Caprice... 

You are of German decent. The way you keep drama over interior room, one would think you were either Greek or Italian...

• Facepalm 2

31 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Im 5 feet 6 and a half inches tall and I could bump my head in the Escalade.

No offense but that is a load of exaggerated horseshyte. I’m 5’10” and have never had any issues getting into any full size truck or SUV and that is without having to duck my head at all. I could bump my head, sure, but only if I jump up directly into the upper door jam lol. 

And I think the bigger point was missed there Olds. Yes, most cars require some head ducking to get in them. However, there are clear limitations to that and one should not have to duck but so far to get in these same cars or trucks (I will cite the current Camaro as an example of being one those cars). 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, David said:

Which is weird because you JUST claimed the Caddy will have more room based on paper numbers, yet dismiss the Tesla paper numbers, or anybody else's. 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

There is no vehicle out there that any human can simply sit it and not bump into something.   One must contort in a way not to bump something even in an Escalade....  

Im 5 feet 6 and a half inches tall and I could bump my head in the Escalade.   Or Trailblazer. Or Fusion.. Or Acura.  Or 1980s B Body fullsize GM.  I have bumped my head in a 1992 Chevy Caprice... 

You are of German decent. The way you keep drama over interior room, one would think you were either Greek or Italian...

Exactly, I'm 5'8" and I don't hit my head in my MKC, Focus, C350, or my Mustangs, because I'm not a wild fckn animal getting in and out of vehicles. 

• Agree 1

@Drew Dowdell Very cool, but Mark Reuss has posted that the Test mules are out on the proving grounds for the Chevrolet Silverado EV.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/mark-reuss_ev-ev-activity-6948288758261645312-lJ5b?utm_source=linkedin_share&utm_medium=member_desktop_web

image.png

I wonder how long before we see the GMC truck version? :scratchchin:

On 6/29/2022 at 8:52 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Tesla only moves 999,000 vehicles globally each year. 

The people who want a Tesla crossover are getting them. It’s the people who don’t like Teslas (like me) that Cadillac needs to target. Cadillac needs to be the anti-Tesla EV builder. The EV for people who think Teslas are ugly and not very luxurious. 

Admittedly, Genesis is getting there first with the GV60, but if the Lyriq base price holds, it is a much larger and more luxurious car for just a few thousand more than the GV60. ($62k v. $58k base price)

The Lyriq is also an entire Hyundai Ioniq 5 cheaper than a Model X, so it’s sorta like @smk4565 comparing the XTS to the S-Class. And comparing the Lyriq to the Model Y is like comparing an X5 to a Rogue in terms of luxury feel.

The GV60 is smaller than a Cadillac XT4, while the Lyriq is like XT6 size.  The Lyriq has a good starting price, especially the dual motor that only adds $2k.  Question in how much does that price go up with options and can GM actually make enough.  I think I read they were making like 2,000 units this year.   Tesla sells 67% of the EV's in the USA because all these other bozos can't get their production up.

The Lyriq's main battle I think will be the badge on the front, unless they can just undercut Tesla and the Germans on price to where people ignore it.

I was listening to the Wheel Bearings podcast on the commute to the mud farm this morning and there was discussion of the Lyriq, and quite a bit of discussion of the lack of a frunk.  General consensus was due to the packaging there wasn't room for a useful frunk...various dirty bits related to the EV stuff that could have been in the rear were moved to the front to provide more cargo space in the rear, according to a GM engineer on the podcast.   Also implied that there was room in the frunk for a larger electric motor (probably for a future V-series performance version?). 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Educational 1

58 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The GV60 is smaller than a Cadillac XT4, while the Lyriq is like XT6 size.  The Lyriq has a good starting price, especially the dual motor that only adds $2k.  Question in how much does that price go up with options and can GM actually make enough.  I think I read they were making like 2,000 units this year.   Tesla sells 67% of the EV's in the USA because all these other bozos can't get their production up.

The Lyriq's main battle I think will be the badge on the front, unless they can just undercut Tesla and the Germans on price to where people ignore it.

Per the news release from GM:

Production of the Cadillac Lyriq has started early, with the first vehicles taking shape at the Spring Hill manufacturing plant in Tennessee. The Lyriq has seen strong demand, with reservations full in just ten minutes when they opened in October 2021. This prompted GM to increase production numbers, from 3,200 vehicles to as many 25,000 in 2022.

All 2022 models are sold and the books opened up on ordering the 2023 Model and for that AWD is also now available for 2023 Production, but after 4hrs, the 2023 models are all sold too. 2022 Production is all RWD models.

https://insideevs.com/news/588048/2023-cadillac-lyriq-sold-out-70percent-buyers-are-new-to-brand/#:~:text=It's safe to say Cadillac is planning a,2023 Lyriq%2C the company opened a preorder waitlist.

Seems GM has started a Pre-order waitlist if enough parts can be built to build the LYRIQ for the 2023 model year.

70% of the customers are new to Cadillac

68% are Gen X & Y demographic

I have to wonder how many are previous Tesla Owners who want something different and better built? :scratchchin:

49 minutes ago, David said:

Per the news release from GM:

Production of the Cadillac Lyriq has started early, with the first vehicles taking shape at the Spring Hill manufacturing plant in Tennessee. The Lyriq has seen strong demand, with reservations full in just ten minutes when they opened in October 2021. This prompted GM to increase production numbers, from 3,200 vehicles to as many 25,000 in 2022.

All 2022 models are sold and the books opened up on ordering the 2023 Model and for that AWD is also now available for 2023 Production, but after 4hrs, the 2023 models are all sold too. 2022 Production is all RWD models.

https://insideevs.com/news/588048/2023-cadillac-lyriq-sold-out-70percent-buyers-are-new-to-brand/#:~:text=It's safe to say Cadillac is planning a,2023 Lyriq%2C the company opened a preorder waitlist.

Seems GM has started a Pre-order waitlist if enough parts can be built to build the LYRIQ for the 2023 model year.

70% of the customers are new to Cadillac

68% are Gen X & Y demographic

I have to wonder how many are previous Tesla Owners who want something different and better built? :scratchchin:

Tesla has the highest owner loyalty in the industry, over 70%.  I don't think they have to worry about people leaving.  

Even at 25k units a year, the Lexus RX sells like 150k units a year, granted it is a cheaper vehicle, the Tesla 3/Y do big numbers.  GLE, MDX and X5 do pretty strong numbers, usually in that 50-75k unit range.  Cadillac needs at least 1 if not 2 SUV's smaller than Lyric and at least 1 if not 2 larger than the Lyric, have to have at least 4 SUVs, so they better be able to ramp up production on these.  

Much like GM needs to figure out how to scale this Ultium stuff up, they should be targeting over a million EV's a year by 2025.   Gas isn't going to come back down $5-6 is here to stay, and I suspect the transfer from ICE to EV is going to happen fast, those you scale up first will win the race.

17 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I mean, yes and no. The GV60 might be smaller outside but its roomier inside

Maybe so since most GM cars are smaller on the inside than they should be, and the EV packaging benefit.  But the GV60 is like Audi Q3 sized, which gives them room for 70, 80, 90 sized ones above it.

Edited by smk4565

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

I was listening to the Wheel Bearings podcast on the commute to the mud farm this morning and there was discussion of the Lyriq, and quite a bit of discussion of the lack of a frunk.  General consensus was due to the packaging there wasn't room for a useful frunk...various dirty bits related to the EV stuff that could have been in the rear were moved to the front to provide more cargo space in the rear, according to a GM engineer on the podcast.   Also implied that there was room in the frunk for a larger electric motor (probably for a future V-series performance version?). 

I think frunks are over rated.  Maybe it is useful in a pickup that doesn't have any covered cargo area, but in a car or SUV that have a trunk or cargo space, I don't think that is going to make or break any buyer's decision that they can't put grocery bags in the frunk, they have to put them in back.  

8 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Tesla has the highest owner loyalty in the industry, over 70%.  I don't think they have to worry about people leaving.  

Even at 25k units a year, the Lexus RX sells like 150k units a year, granted it is a cheaper vehicle, the Tesla 3/Y do big numbers.  GLE, MDX and X5 do pretty strong numbers, usually in that 50-75k unit range.  Cadillac needs at least 1 if not 2 SUV's smaller than Lyric and at least 1 if not 2 larger than the Lyric, have to have at least 4 SUVs, so they better be able to ramp up production on these.  

Much like GM needs to figure out how to scale this Ultium stuff up, they should be targeting over a million EV's a year by 2025.   Gas isn't going to come back down $5-6 is here to stay, and I suspect the transfer from ICE to EV is going to happen fast, those you scale up first will win the race.

Maybe so since most GM cars are smaller on the inside than they should be, and the EV packaging benefit.  But the GV60 is like Audi Q3 sized, which gives them room for 70, 80, 90 sized ones above it.

Like the U.S. Market, Cadillac is sold out for the first couple of years in China and they increased production there too just like here. Right now, I think Cadillac will be fine in ramping up to an all-EV portfolio unlike other automakers that are still a year away or two from launching their first EV.

It will be an interesting next 18 to 24 months to see how the EV roll out goes for everyone. Hopefully GM can avoid the pitfalls that Ford has had with recalls lately on their EVs.

In regards to Loyalty, just as has been stated by the hard core Tesla owners in my own company in our own company #social-autos slack channel, the Tesla S is a perfect example of still being on the same style 10 plus years, only front and rear bumper covers have changed and except for the Platinum power train change over, Tesla is working old EV when one considers how long they have been producing now and the focus point told to me over and over by these folks is that while they love their Tesla, at 10 plus years on the S that many of them own, the quality/fit-n-finish still leaves much to be desired. As one that instead of buying a Tesla Y, bought a Mach-E as their second EV, Ford Fit-n-Finish is leaps above Tesla even with the few recalls.

The quality of the auto and how fast companies update their auto's is going to be the area that could hurt Tesla long term. Software updates can only do so much. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, smk4565 said:

They had loyalty because they had no competition for years. That is no longer the case. Come back and talk to us about that loyalty in three or four years. 

12 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

There will be a future V-Series performance version is that part makes sense as to why the engineers forewent a frunk.

Exchange and a trade-off  back and front storage space between a trunk and a (lack of a) frunk would be an engineering choice for the greater good. As I have stated before.

However, a lack of a frunk, even if some of us are discussing it as a no biggie is not exactly correct.

Because it is discussed and GM engineers are defending that decision because it is discussed it is a point of contention with many. 

Ill repeat what I stated before.

As an engineering solution, the Lyriq forgoing a frunk might be an excellent engineering choice.  yada yada yada engineered that way to leave more trunk space, yada yada yada to have more room up front for a bigger motor for a future V-Series Lyriq.  Possibly making the Lyriq a faster CUV than the Mach-E, Tesla Model X and Y.

But as a marketing choice, BECAUSE its a point of contention with many...and it IS a point of contention with many, the lack of a frunk might just be a deal breaker.

NOT the first time in the automotive world where a mundane issue like this causes a stir and where the buying public actually looks for when buyying a vehicle and possibly make a buying decision on.

Cup holders comes to mind... 

• Agree 1

Concerning Tesla loyalty.

Do NOT underestimate the sheeple-ness of Tesla owners.   There is a small percentage of them that are curious to to see what the other EV makers are offering and will try to experience them, but the majority will not budge.     

Kinda like an Apple user.  And exactly like an Apple user, most will scoff at what the other OEMs are doing if the other OEMs are NOT doing EVs like Tesla is doing them.  These sheeple have embraced the so called outside the box thinking for manufacturing vehicles and embrace Tesla quirks while scoff at OEMs for doing the same thing over the last 100 years. They especially hate GM for whatever reason.  Every time I come across a family friend Tesla owner, they dismiss Ford's efforts, Hyyundai/Kia's efforts, Porsche's efforts and especially GM. 

Not that GM has anything of quality to showcase against Tesla at this point, these family friends will not acknowledge Ultium at all.   They laugh at the Bolt all the time.  Lyriq and Hummer is as if they dont exist and never will. 

They will find anything to nit pick the Mach-E and they consider the Taycan/Audi E Tron GT as subpar to anything Tesla.  

3-5 years and this will change of course when VW/Porsche, Hyundai/Kia, GM, Ford will have new and fresher EVs on the road as compared to a possible 13-15 year old Model S that will look and feel the same as when it came out in 2012 if Tesla does not give the Model S a 2nd generation.  The Model 3 and X would be closing in on 10 years old by that time too...  And if no 2nd generation of those wont be offered...  

The Model Y is newer but it too, will look and feel as if it would be 15 years old.   The Model 3 and Y being bread and butter vehicles for Tesla...

It will be interesting to see how these Tesla sheeple will react and buy... 

And it will be interesting to see where Tesla's head chief CEO resides in the Forbes richest man rankings... by then if the idiot doesnt see he needs a 2nd generation of all his offerings... 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

There will be a future V-Series performance version is that part makes sense as to why the engineers forewent a frunk.

Exchange and a trade-off  back and front storage space between a trunk and a (lack of a) frunk would be an engineering choice for the greater good. As I have stated before.

However, a lack of a frunk, even if some of us are discussing it as a no biggie is not exactly correct.

Because it is discussed and GM engineers are defending that decision because it is discussed it is a point of contention with many. 

Ill repeat what I stated before.

As an engineering solution, the Lyriq forgoing a frunk might be an excellent engineering choice.  yada yada yada engineered that way to leave more trunk space, yada yada yada to have more room up front for a bigger motor for a future V-Series Lyriq.  Possibly making the Lyriq a faster CUV than the Mach-E, Tesla Model X and Y.

But as a marketing choice, BECAUSE its a point of contention with many...and it IS a point of contention with many, the lack of a frunk might just be a deal breaker.

NOT the first time in the automotive world where a mundane issue like this causes a stir and where the buying public actually looks for when buyying a vehicle and possibly make a buying decision on.

Cup holders comes to mind... 

The frunk isn't a huge deal to most enthusiasts (I think) because we also tend to lean to more sporty vehicles where we're used to smaller storage capacities. Most enthusiasts don't tend to get lame vehicles like what I have, or just massive SUVs like David as. We grew up with something sporty at some point and anything larger than that "has plenty of space" in the back. Just my thoughts on it...

Personally, I value a frunk because I actually think I would use it more than the hatch space on regular day to day things. But, again, it wouldn't be a deal breaker. If I thought two vehicles were completely equal on every other aspect but one had a frunk and one didn't, I'd definitely get the one with a frunk. Buuuuut, that's unrealistic and will never happen because there's too many variables to say two vehicles would actually be equal everywhere else. 

Also Happy Canada Day! 

5 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Do NOT underestimate the sheeple-ness of Tesla owners.   There is a small percentage of them that are curious to to see what the other EV makers are offering and will try to experience them, but the majority will not budge.     

Kinda like an Apple user.  And exactly like an Apple user, most will scoff at what the other OEMs are doing if the other OEMs are NOT doing EVs like Tesla is doing them.  These sheeple have embraced the so called outside the box thinking for manufacturing vehicles and embrace Tesla quirks while scoff at OEMs for doing the same thing over the last 100 years. They especially hate GM for whatever reason.  Every time I come across a family friend Tesla owner, they dismiss Ford's efforts, Hyyundai/Kia's efforts, Porsche's efforts and especially GM.

EXACTLY like Apple. I also believe their simplicity and ease of use on all of their systems/apps is exactly like Apple as well and that's a great thing for them. 

I've 100% heard Tesla referred to as the Apple of the automotive world and it's not necessarily a bad thing. They're just going to lose market share as all of these other OEMs come to market with new products. Apple is different in that aspect. 

A good little read about Tesla's future market share as well as Ford, GM, etc. 

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-general-motors-ford-shares-analysis-car-wars/

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Lyriq and Hummer is as if they dont exist and never will. 

Speaking of the Hummer EV. The one that sold in my town has been back at the dealership 5-6 times already. My wife cuts a few of the salesmen/sales manager's hairs so they complain about it to her - LOL. They apparently don't have specialists to work on electric vehicles (yet?) and it just keeps having issues. I've asked my wife if they said what the issues were and she didn't know. I was really curious about that, what's actually causing the owner the headache. 

13 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

3-5 years and this will change of course when VW/Porsche, Hyundai/Kia, GM, Ford will have new and fresher EVs on the road as compared to a possible 13-15 year old Model S that will look and feel the same as when it came out in 2012 if Tesla does not give the Model S a 2nd generation.  The Model 3 and X would be closing in on 10 years old by that time too...  And if no 2nd generation of those wont be offered.  The Model Y is newer but it too, will look and feel as if it would be 15 years old. 

It will be interesting to see how these Tesla sheeple will react and buy... 

I'm curious about this as well as everything is starting to age and I haven't heard anything about new models or major refreshes yet. The Cybertruck is already two years behind schedule and who knows if it'll make it out by 2024 at this point. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The frunk isn't a huge deal to most enthusiasts (I think) because we also tend to lean to more sporty vehicles where we're used to smaller storage capacities. Most enthusiasts don't tend to get lame vehicles like what I have, or just massive SUVs like David as. We grew up with something sporty at some point and anything larger than that "has plenty of space" in the back. Just my thoughts on it...

Personally, I value a frunk because I actually think I would use it more than the hatch space on regular day to day things. But, again, it wouldn't be a deal breaker. If I thought two vehicles were completely equal on every other aspect but one had a frunk and one didn't, I'd definitely get the one with a frunk. Buuuuut, that's unrealistic and will never happen because there's too many variables to say two vehicles would actually be equal everywhere else. 

Also Happy Canada Day! 

yes, we as so called enthusiasts dont care for mundane shytty things like a frunk.

OR a cup holder.  

Im closing in on being 50 and I still dont give a shyte about a cup holder.  

Oh....I APPRECIATE a cup holder as many a time it came handy. But I dont drink in my car.  I eat  from time to time but I dont hang out at the drive throughs all that much.  

I also had a 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 in my mid to late 20s when drinking Gatorade was a thing to do, or a Coke from Mickey D's was a must, but I managed then and so I can manage now.   But a cup holder DOES have a place in our lives.  

As does a frunk. 

When one will use a frunk for the very first time, one will want one. TRUST ME!!!

Like Ford's keypad entry system. 

I had one in the 2007 Edge I bought my wife. We didnt have one a for a short time, but then came the Fusion and now Im thinking, I need one on my next car purchase...   

NO!!!  I dont want to carry my phone with me....  If I didnt mind carrying a phone, I wouldn't mind carrying key.  I have found the keypad VERY useful and almost a need.  Yeah, Im thinking about a Ford Mach-E for myself for my next purchase. 

For ME.

1. Its a MUSTANG

2. Its an EV

3. Its GOT a keypad...   

4. We ignore the fact that its a CUV because its a MUSTANG.  And NOT only in name.  It handles like a sports car. Its sporty like a sports car. Its fast like a sports car.   

But take a look at number 3.   Its got that keypad.  Plus a frunk that I could use for the restaurant.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I mention McDonald's a lot. 

yeah, I eat there from time to time even though I own a fast food joint of my own.

Hey...a Big Mac is a Big Mac and a Quarter Pounder with cheese is a Quarter Pounder with cheese...  I will ALWAYS love those even though I can make my own at MY restaurant.  Like I said.... a Big Mac is a Big Mac and a Quarter Pounder with cheese is a Quarter Pounder with cheese.

I dont drink sodey pops. At my restaurant or at any other restaurant.  Ill have a milkshake from time to time but a bottled drink like water or juice is what I have.  Not from a fountain for a cup and lid.  From a bottle that has a cap. So I could manage without a cupholder.   

When I leave the restaurant to come home, I wont eat as Im usually coming home to supper with the family.  I used to eat a hotdog or two when finished work, but those never lasted long enough to make it to the car. LOL

I dont eat hotdogs anymore. (all that much)   Ive cut down considerably.  I am closing in on 50...     

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

yes, we as so called enthusiasts dont care for mundane shytty things like a frunk.

OR a cup holder.  

Im closing in on being 50 and I still dont give a shyte about a cup holder.  

Oh....I APPRECIATE a cup holder as many a time it came handy. But I dont drink in my car.  I eat  from time to time but I dont hang out at the drive throughs all that much.  

I also had a 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 in my mid to late 20s when drinking Gatorade was a thing to do, or a Coke from Mickey D's was a must, but I managed then and so I can manage now.   But a cup holder DOES have a place in our lives.  

As does a frunk. 

When one will use a frunk for the very first time, one will want one. TRUST ME!!!

Like Ford's keypad entry system. 

I had one in the 2007 Edge I bought my wife. We didnt have one a for a short time, but then came the Fusion and now Im thinking, I need one on my next car purchase...   

NO!!!  I dont want to carry my phone with me....  If I didnt mind carrying a phone, I wouldn't mind carrying key.  I have found the keypad VERY useful and almost a need.  Yeah, Im thinking about a Ford Mach-E for myself for my next purchase. 

For ME.

1. Its a MUSTANG

2. Its an EV

3. Its GOT a keypad...   

4. We ignore the fact that its a CUV because its a MUSTANG.  And NOT only in name.  It handles like a sports car. Its sporty like a sports car. Its fast like a sports car.   

But take a look at number 3.   Its got that keypad.  Plus a frunk that I could use for the restaurant.  

The keypad thing is such an underrated feature! I don't quite use it as often as it sounds like you do, but it's certainly come in handy MANY times. I don't know why other companies haven't been doing this. I think I read a Ford review a couple years ago that touched on it and they mentioned, "why don't other companies have this?" and I believe they looked into it and it isn't like Ford has a patent on it or anything. When I was younger my grandma had a Toyota car (probably a Camry) and it had a keypad on the side. I thought that was sooo cool! It was in the 90's and definitely before ford was doing it, I believe. 

3 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

That article shouldn't be taken lightly...

Yep. I thought it was a nice touch on the whole market and what's coming out and what isn't. *cough* Tesla *cough*. 

I found it a little ironic that we were talking about that and then MT had the new article on what we were recently talking about. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The keypad thing is such an underrated feature! I don't quite use it as often as it sounds like you do, but it's certainly come in handy MANY times. I don't know why other companies haven't been doing this. I think I read a Ford review a couple years ago that touched on it and they mentioned, "why don't other companies have this?" and I believe they looked into it and it isn't like Ford has a patent on it or anything. When I was younger my grandma had a Toyota car (probably a Camry) and it had a keypad on the side. I thought that was sooo cool! It was in the 90's and definitely before ford was doing it, I believe. 

Absolutlely!!!

I trolled many Ford fans over at MT forums  about it being stupid, but I was trolling them.  

I use it in the summer a lot.  During baseball and softball practices and games.  I dont feel like carrying my keys and wallet with me so I leave those in the car.  (The Fusion duh...we will use the Fusion over the Acura in these situations as much as possible. Almost ever time.) Lock it up...but use the keypad to get into the car. The personal items are kept out of site so nobody will break into the car...    

I will also use it when we go at an amusement park or a waterslide park. 

Why have a risk of loss at the park (baseball or amusement park), and its high, when a break-in risk is soooooooo much lower in a parking lot park...

Its an awesome feature.  

Maybe when my kids are no longer at the age of us going to such parks my use of it will diminish. But as of now, as still a family man, its almost a need!!!  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

19 minutes ago, David said:

Todays Escalade Fill up, glad I just do it every other week.

20220630_203304.jpg

Premium?

35 US gallons equals to 132.5 liter as per google calculator.

Premium in Quebec is 2.15 dollars/liter

That would equate to approx 285 Canadian bucks...

Holy sheet that is a lot of dough!!!

If one in Quebec daily drove that, he would have to fill up every 3rd or 4rth day... 

That would be approx 7-8 times a month... 

2000 dollars/month.   24 000 dollars a year...   In a nomal time, that number would be at half that amount.  12 000 CDN dollars per year.  

yeah...either way, I dont want or need space or a V8 THAT bad....

Its a lot of dough for being 6 feet 6 inches tall...

Winking GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

A good little read about Tesla's future market share as well as Ford, GM, etc. 

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-general-motors-ford-shares-analysis-car-wars/

Totally agree with you and @oldshurst442 on this story. I think Musk is going to be hurting at other auto companies ramp up production and he is still struggling with very dated EVs.

They hit some major points:

Some Highlights From Car Wars 2023-2026 Projections:

• Inventory will be a problem for a while. There are about 1 million vehicles on dealer lots right now; traditionally there are 3.2 million, and pent-up demand will increase to 6 million units this year.
  • A record 61 new vehicles, on average, will launch in each of the next four years, for a total of 245 new models anticipated to hit the market for the 2023-2026 model years, including a high number of low-volume nameplates. In the past the average was 41 new models a year.
  • There will be 182 different crossovers by the 2026 model year, and CUVs will account for 51 percent of the total sales volume, making it very crowded. The segment will include a growing number of jacked-up wagons.
  • The number of body-on-frame trucks will grow from 61 for the 2022 model year to 85 for the 2026 model year while automakers increasingly discontinue car lines.
  • Fleet demand is not being fulfilled right now, which means 25 percent of annual sales demand have not been met. It is creating a jam-up that will take years to resolve.
7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

What kind of fuel economy do you get in that thing? I thought you didn't drive a whole lot? Maybe I'm mixing you and @Robert Hallup here. 

The Escalade ESV gets 14 mpg on average mix of highway and local driving. So a full tank of gas gets me 490 miles of driving.

I do not drive much since I work from home, but with Summer finally here, I have used it to get decking as after 23yrs I have to replace my worn-out decking on my massive deck I have on the house. The deck is a two-part space with the first one being 20 feet wide x 16ft deep. Second lower section is 16 feet wide x 16 feet deep, so been making runs up to a small town of Sultan that has a wood mill. Here I can get my 20ft and 16ft lengths of decking, so I have no seems at 99 cents per foot compared to buying them from Home Depot at $2.49 a foot. big savings so worth the gas to drive and pick up what I need for a few days of replacement. I did my last drive yesterday, so hoping to finish up by tomorrow the deck and have a nice relaxing safe space.

Happy Canada day to all.

Happy Fourth of July to all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

They had loyalty because they had no competition for years. That is no longer the case. Come back and talk to us about that loyalty in three or four years. 

True on the lack of competition.  But Tesla still outsells all other EV’s combined.  The traditional OEM’s need to bring the fight, they aren’t yet.

7 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

True on the lack of competition.  But Tesla still outsells all other EV’s combined.  The traditional OEM’s need to bring the fight, they aren’t yet.

Right now they are bringing the fight. The other OEMs haven't caught and beaten but they are bringing it right now with everything that's rolling out this year and within the next five years. It seems like every OEM has at least one EV rolling out this year (or last year) with a handful more on the way. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

So basically you’re just repeating what I just said. Thanks lol. 

• Haha 1

Seems the Germans are no longer the standard of Luxury Auto's. Koreans have taken the lead.

Specifically, Genesis leads as the best Luxury line of auto's according to the J.D. Powers survey.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/jd-power-and-associates_jdpowerawards-activity-6947586440616665089-8Hta?utm_source=linkedin_share&utm_medium=android_app

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Right now they are bringing the fight. The other OEMs haven't caught and beaten but they are bringing it right now with everything that's rolling out this year and within the next five years. It seems like every OEM has at least one EV rolling out this year (or last year) with a handful more on the way. 

2022 Q2 sales volume came out today, GM down 15%, Honda down 50%, Toyota down 22%, Stellantis down 15%, Hyundai-Kia down 19%, BMW down 20%, Nissan down 39%, Mazda down 42% Subaru down 18%.  Ford was up 5%, VW group up 2% so those 2 are treading water, the rest are tanking.

Tesla is expected to be up 53%

GM has sold 20,253 EV's in 2022, Tesla is at 228,700 estimated (final numbers not out).   Tesla is rolling right now, at even half their current growth rate they will be at 1.1 million units a year in the USA in 2026, 2.7 million units in 2030.  I am not saying it will happen, but look at the beating the other guys are taking.  And how long will it take for the legacy OEMs to not have 1 EV in the product line, but 5 or 6 all of which are built in volume and in stock on dealer lots.

Probably the only way the other guys can beat Tesla is to #1 undercut the price, and #2 have rows of EV's sitting on dealer lots, because with a Tesla you are still ordering online and waiting 6 months to get it.    My local Mercedes dealer has 82 cars in stock, but 51 are GLC's and zero are EQS.  If a car company can put 50 EV's on the lot, that is how you beat Tesla.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, David said:

Seems the Germans are no longer the standard of Luxury Auto's. Koreans have taken the lead.

Specifically, Genesis leads as the best Luxury line of auto's according to the J.D. Powers survey.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/jd-power-and-associates_jdpowerawards-activity-6947586440616665089-8Hta?utm_source=linkedin_share&utm_medium=android_app

Sure, Genesis has more prestige than Mercedes.  They don't make a single model over $100k.  They make a nice little effort, at least, they went rear drive rather than just badge jobbing a Hyundai and making front drive crossovers like Lincoln does.  But Genesis is basically what Infiniti was 15 years ago, with the G35, M35, Q56, and the FX45 crossover that were all rear drive, performance oriented, nicer than a Nissan ,but not as nice as a German car, but cheaper than a German car.  Infiniti fumbled that strategy, because Nissan as a company has no direction, but basically Genesis is Infiniti of 15 years ago.  

• Facepalm 2

40 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

The Aviator CUV is rear wheel drive and that is a dumb argument anyway given the FWD appliances in the Benz stable. 

True but it is still a Ford.  Lincoln makes nothing of their own, just fancy Fords.

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

True but it is still a Ford.  Lincoln makes nothing of their own, just fancy Fords.

How is that any different than the Pickup Failure Benz did of just Badge Engineering the Navero built by Nissan?

Mercedes has their FWD appliance autos to compete against so many basic entry-level autos, badged autos by others and the list is long for their failures as much as their wins.

You also are showing your ignorance as while Genesis does not sell their Ubber 6 figure luxury auto's here, they do in the asian rim and have plans as an EV to sell them Globally.

I know others have posted about this and I know I have posted in the past. 

Just like Mercedes makes and sells select autos in the US, same with every other auto company.

G90 Long Wheelbase is their competitor to the S-Class and offers just as much customization and can go well beyond $150,000 dollars depending on how the 1% crowd chooses to customize it.

image.png

Genesis G90 Design | GENESIS

Here is a basic config I did of things I liked and it came out to $140,563 US dollars.

image.png

• Agree 1

Random thoughts related to recent posts..

Had my first $100 fillup this week...yay.  Usually have 2-3 $80-90 fillups most weeks lately.   

Those Ford door keypads are neat..several of my folks '80s-90s Fords and Lincolns had them.  None of my 80s Fords had them, though.   I could see them very useful for when I go to the beach..I always have to make sure to take out my keys and put them in my beach chair pocket before going in the water..

As far as cupholders, everything I've had made since '00 has had cupholders, and I've used aftermarket ones in older vehicles.  I never leave home without bottled water, so a cupholder is essential...and for coffee in the morning.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Two things:

You keep saying that like it means anything yet at least one of those “fancy Fords”, competes very well against Benz (Navigator) and another (Aviator) isn’t a slouch against them either but you wouldn’t acknowledge that anyway.

And this wasn’t about Lincoln in the first place. It was about Genesis being preferred over the likes of your precious Mercedes Benz. Your constant need to deflect from anything negative about them is obvious and quite frankly, old. 

Point being, you have been burned for your rather pathetic stance on Cadillac and Lincoln and their platform sharing so unless you just like visiting the burn unit, maybe you should argue on merits instead of fanboy snobbery. Your owning a now 14 year Benz does nothing to help you here. 

• Agree 2

On 7/1/2022 at 6:18 PM, smk4565 said:

Sure, Genesis has more prestige than Mercedes.  They don't make a single model over $100k.  They make a nice little effort, at least, they went rear drive rather than just badge jobbing a Hyundai and making front drive crossovers like Lincoln does.  But Genesis is basically what Infiniti was 15 years ago, with the G35, M35, Q56, and the FX45 crossover that were all rear drive, performance oriented, nicer than a Nissan ,but not as nice as a German car, but cheaper than a German car.  Infiniti fumbled that strategy, because Nissan as a company has no direction, but basically Genesis is Infiniti of 15 years ago.  

Nissan has not figured out whether Infiniti is premium or luxury.  (I have no idea why Nissan or Infiniti even exist anymore.)  Acura is premium, while Lexus is luxury.  Genesis is discounted luxury, at least compared to the Germans.  That strategy has worked for Lexus ever since the original 1990 LS400.

17 hours ago, David said:

How is that any different than the Pickup Failure Benz did of just Badge Engineering the Navero built by Nissan?

Mercedes has their FWD appliance autos to compete against so many basic entry-level autos, badged autos by others and the list is long for their failures as much as their wins.

You also are showing your ignorance as while Genesis does not sell their Ubber 6 figure luxury auto's here, they do in the asian rim and have plans as an EV to sell them Globally.

I know others have posted about this and I know I have posted in the past. 

Just like Mercedes makes and sells select autos in the US, same with every other auto company.

G90 Long Wheelbase is their competitor to the S-Class and offers just as much customization and can go well beyond $150,000 dollars depending on how the 1% crowd chooses to customize it.

image.png

Genesis G90 Design | GENESIS

Here is a basic config I did of things I liked and it came out to $140,563 US dollars.

image.png

Conversion rates aren’t the same, in China direct conversion an S-class is like $200k.  And $140k US is not even a loaded S580, let alone a Maybach or AMG.  You can find used S-classes for over $200k, same goes fir G-wagon and several other AMG models.  Genesis will never make a $200,000 car and never have a collector car or museum car.

The Mercedes 300SLR coupe sold for $143 million at auction this year.  So there is the standard.  When Genesis sells a car for $143 million they can be in Mercedes league.

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

On 7/1/2022 at 12:16 PM, ccap41 said:

What kind of fuel economy do you get in that thing? I thought you didn't drive a whole lot? Maybe I'm mixing you and @Robert Hallup here. 

From March 2020 through Jan of this year, I drove very little w/ the COVID hibernation and working from home...did.like 1250 miles in all of 2020 and maybe 5000 last year.  But this year i've been driving 180-200 mile round trips 4-5 times a week since Feb--almost 10,000 miles added since Feb (9653 as of today).   My 3.6 Grand Cherokee gets a respectable 23-25 mpg in mixed freeway and rural backroad driving...  after next Saturday, I should go back to a more normal 10-50 miles per week...

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

From March 2020 through Jan of this year, I drove very little w/ the COVID hibernation and working from home...did.like 1250 miles in all of 2020 and maybe 5000 last year.  But this year i've been driving 180-200 mile round trips 4-5 times a week since Feb--almost 10,000 miles added since Feb (9653 as of today).   My 3.6 Grand Cherokee gets a respectable 23-25 mpg in mixed freeway and rural backroad driving...  after next Saturday, I should go back to a more normal 10-50 miles per week...

Look forward to hearing about how the Auction goes Robert. Wishing your sister and you all the best.

On 7/1/2022 at 3:09 PM, smk4565 said:

2022 Q2 sales volume came out today, GM down 15%, Honda down 50%, Toyota down 22%, Stellantis down 15%, Hyundai-Kia down 19%, BMW down 20%, Nissan down 39%, Mazda down 42% Subaru down 18%.  Ford was up 5%, VW group up 2% so those 2 are treading water, the rest are tanking.

Tesla is expected to be up 53%

GM has sold 20,253 EV's in 2022, Tesla is at 228,700 estimated (final numbers not out).   Tesla is rolling right now, at even half their current growth rate they will be at 1.1 million units a year in the USA in 2026, 2.7 million units in 2030.  I am not saying it will happen, but look at the beating the other guys are taking.  And how long will it take for the legacy OEMs to not have 1 EV in the product line, but 5 or 6 all of which are built in volume and in stock on dealer lots.

Probably the only way the other guys can beat Tesla is to #1 undercut the price, and #2 have rows of EV's sitting on dealer lots, because with a Tesla you are still ordering online and waiting 6 months to get it.    My local Mercedes dealer has 82 cars in stock, but 51 are GLC's and zero are EQS.  If a car company can put 50 EV's on the lot, that is how you beat Tesla.

If you have not figured it out why we are laughing is that the down numbers mean little to nothing right now as the overall industry is hurting with supply chain issues and as each OEM brings certain manufacturing back in house rather than rely on China or other Asian rim production, we will see things return to more normal situation as is expected.

GM is one of the first that is expected to get back to normal by the start of 2023 as they reacted early on to looking at what would be affected and bring back to North America production of critical components. Ford started following at well and I expect them to both bounce and surpass Asian and European auto companies as they move forward in their change over from ICE to EV.

GM Has 95,000 Cars To Sell, But It Can’t – 24/7 Wall St. (247wallst.com)

This story is a perfect example as to why they had a 15% drop. 

Unless one is in a Must Have to Buy situation, it makes no sense to buy an auto now especially an ICE one that has to have parts added after manufacturing. The big thing about this is that it will push a surplus of auto's back onto the lots to sell of ICE and EVs but then smooth back out to a JIT system once production of the electronics gets going here again in North America.