Random Thoughts Thread

On 4/12/2022 at 9:17 AM, riviera74 said:

I still have no idea why AFM is used at all, only to save maybe 1-2 MPG.  It seems unnecessary when anyone could buy a vehicle with a smaller engine and lower curb weight to improve fuel economy.

I can't buy a vehicle with enough of a lower curb weight that still does what I need it to do.

But the AFM in my Avalanche doesn't bother me at all. Never even notice it.  It is most effective on a highway cruise from 55 - 65 mph.  I can be in 4-cylinder mode and get into the upper mid-20s.  Not too bad for something Suburban sized.

• Agree 1

On 5/4/2022 at 9:08 AM, ccap41 said:

Hahaha, i just took a screenshot from the NHL's website. 

Yeah, game 1 doesn't make the series but it's nice to jump out to a lead. Boston had just struggled with Carolina all year. 

Boston.  LOL.

Carolina. Those Jerks sure can play hockey!!!   LMFAO 

Boston struggled all year long against Carolina he says...   LOL LOL LOL     Such an understatement...  

Game 1 doesnt make the series he says  LOL LOL LOL  (I actually agree...game 1 does mean nothing.)

I said 'Canes in 5....    SCRATCH THAT!!!      'Canes in 4...

Bruins cant even goon it up correctly to gain an edge over those 'Jerks' .  Them Jerks could handle themselves quite alright...   Its embarrassing to be a Bruins fan I think...  

I read EVEYWHERE that this year's no brainer upset WILL be the Bruins beating Carolina.  I never understood why and how these hockey 'experts' could get such an idea.  The Bruins havent had depth scoring going back to when they lost to the Blues in 2019. And THIS year the Bruins also lost their 2nd line center.   If they had a chance to win the Cup, it WOULD have been IN 2019...  

I knew that the Bruins would not proceed to round 2. But I didnt think they would be outclassed the way they are.  'Canes are for real. They are a very good team.  The East though is such a beast.  It will be tough for them.   

Anyway...Jomboy always makes me laugh. His latest video for whatever reason, and I was in hysterics more than usual.

Enjoy it!  (The video and the Blues' Cup run!!!) 

PS:  Im actually rooting for the Blues to win it!!!  Or the 'Canes!!!      

I do NOT want the Maple Leafs to win...like even one round.  LOL

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

So, yesterday I was near a Subaru dealership in a suburb that is salt of the earth and not uptight.  So I went inside.

(This is sounding like a joke, but it's not.)

I wanted to look at their sedans.  They didn't have any ... just wagon-CUV type vehicles.

I learned that they do NOT have a sense of humor about the tropes and stereotypes.  And this is even when said in a manner that was diplomatic and circuitous.  

• Haha 2

I sure do like it. I wouldnt do this restomod on THAT particular Chevy.  But I would do THAT restomod on a Tri-Five Chevy.  Or a myriad of 1960s Impalas.  On an Olds 1949/50 and even possibly on am '51 Rocket 88.    

There are 442s and GTOs and Trans Ams that I would do this kind of thing to with that kind of powertrain.  Maybe an LT5.  Some with the LS7. But GM stopped producing that one.  

I wonder  how much all that would cost  to do.  🧐💲💲💲 

Because I remember having several discussions with @balthazar when he was dissing EV conversions and EV crate motors and how expensive those could be...   And if the money spent on THIS creation could actually be recuperated since its just a '54 Bel Air.  It aint even a Tri-Five or nothin'.    

Thee car is pretty popular though. It has been previously restomodded in California. That car's story could easily tell us if restomodding  a not so in demand classic could fetch the money spent on it with GM crate motors and substantial work done on the car by paid mechanics and garages.  I wonder how much the original restomod cost and I wonder how much the car was sold for  that this owner actually paid for it  and I wonder how much this project costs to do.   Perfect project car to settle our discussion.

I would sooooo restomod early 50s Chevy, Pontiac and Oldsmobile cars with EV powertrains from GM EV crate powertrains, Ford EV crate powertrains or even from wrecked Teslas...

The Cadillac Lyriq has been growing on me.  I am starting to like it. 

Cadillac Lyriq available for pre-order in China, priced from about $68,940  - CnEVPost

Cadillac Lyriq News and Reviews | InsideEVs

But I m NOT admitting to be wanting to buy one. Its an SUV after all...

I am super excited about the Celestiq.  I so want Cadillac to nail the exterior styling. I dont have worries about Cadillac's efforts on quality of fit and finish and interior qualities.  It will be a hand built affair anyway and I KNOW that when GM is focused to do a vehicle, they never fudge it, and the Celestiq is such a project where GM is super focused.  Its in the styling department that Im afraid of. They sometimes fudge that...focused or not.  

Camaro and Corvette is proof of what Im saying.  

Both cars do the performance part and no other OEM could best them.   The interior of the Corvette is a homerun.  Its in the looks where there might be a slight stumble. Yeah, the C8's exterior is not all love. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 6:42 PM, oldshurst442 said:

Thee car is pretty popular though. It has been previously restomodded in California. That car's story could easily tell us if restomodding  a not so in demand classic could fetch the money spent on it with GM crate motors and substantial work done on the car by paid mechanics and garages.  I wonder how much the original restomod cost and I wonder how much the car was sold for  that this owner actually paid for it  and I wonder how much this project costs to do.   Perfect project car to settle our discussion.

I would sooooo restomod early 50s Chevy, Pontiac and Oldsmobile cars with EV powertrains from GM EV crate powertrains, Ford EV crate powertrains or even from wrecked Teslas...

I think that customized ride is a $75,000 plus after all you have a 

LT4 Wet Sump Connect & Cruise Powertrain System W/ 4L75E $25,411.03 

So right there is a chunk and you still have installation, but that ride also has a ton of other customized work so I think easy $75,000 to $100,000 total for what they did and no I do not think it would be recovered selling it at auction.

On 5/6/2022 at 7:52 PM, oldshurst442 said:

The Cadillac Lyriq has been growing on me.  I am starting to like it. 

Cadillac Lyriq available for pre-order in China, priced from about $68,940  - CnEVPost

Cadillac Lyriq News and Reviews | InsideEVs

But I m NOT admitting to be wanting to buy one. Its an SUV after all...

I am super excited about the Celestiq.  I so want Cadillac to nail the exterior styling. I dont have worries about Cadillac's efforts on quality of fit and finish and interior qualities.  It will be a hand built affair anyway and I KNOW that when GM is focused to do a vehicle, they never fudge it, and the Celestiq is such a project where GM is super focused.  Its in the styling department that Im afraid of. They sometimes fudge that...focused or not.  

Camaro and Corvette is proof of what Im saying.  

Both cars do the performance part and no other OEM could best them.   The interior of the Corvette is a homerun.  Its in the looks where there might be a slight stumble. Yeah, the C8's exterior is not all love. 

I get that they say it is an SUV, but it has a clear stationwagon look like how Eagle did their cars more than a traditional SUV. I could see you driving it.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, David said:

I think that customized ride is a $75,000 plus after all you have a 

LT4 Wet Sump Connect & Cruise Powertrain System W/ 4L75E $25,411.03 

So right there is a chunk and you still have installation, but that ride also has a ton of other customized work so I think easy $75,000 to $100,000 total for what they did and no I do not think it would be recovered selling it at auction.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking about.  Thanx for responding. You and I are on the same page on this.  I still want (and crave) @balthazar's opinion and discussion on this.   

19 hours ago, David said:

I get that they say it is an SUV, but it has a clear stationwagon look like how Eagle did their cars more than a traditional SUV. I could see you driving it.

Nah...not a station wagon. The Eagle aint a station wagon either. The Eagle would be the very first crossover SUV.  And if the Eagle is/was considered a compact or even a mid-sizer, it would be the first CUV as in COMPACT utility vehicle... 

This is a wagon, but could it also be an SUV, too?

Ford family's 1958 Bermuda Wagon, 1947 Ford Woody up for auction

This is why the term crossover was coined.

Its two fold.  

1. For the weenie boys that dont want to admit they like wagons. To feel like they bought into some sort of marketing lifestyle they want to adhere to.  These "crossover"  'tweeners are truly SUVs though. Most of them are on the smaller side so I personally would call them CUVs to denigrate them further.  Unless we are talking about REAL sport utility vehicles.  You know, the rugged offroaders and the utilitarian stuff that now also make up the luxury world.   Navigators and even Cayennes etc.  

2. Crossover was also coined for the exact opposite of what I just stated.  For the folk that despise the excess culture of the SUV world. Be it the bling bling world of a Hummer, Escalade or the unsophisticated, too outdoorsy image of a Jeep and a lifted 4Runner.   The boring Toyota crowd (sans the FJ Cruiser and 4unner) fits in this area quite nicely.  

I had a soccer (baseball) mom tell me she was proud of her purrchase of a  Jeep Sahara (4 door) two years ago.  I told her "woooo, the ORIGINAL SUV!!!"   She snapped back at me and told me NO!  Its NOT an SUV!!!  I guess she equated SUV with soccer mom...

So I dunno where the phoque HER type fits in, but yeah.

To me, a wagon is:

NOT lifted and NOT HIGHER than an EXISTING sedan that its based on. 

The Lyriq is a crossover.  It is not based on any sedan.  It may not be a CUV as its not a compact vehicle, its definitely not a station wagon...   Its a damned crossover. 

The AMG Eagle would be confusing to classify it, yes.

The Eagle is based on the Spirit. Its a hatchback...not a sedan. But its based on an existing car...

1979 AMC Spirit AMX - The Model That Took A Class Win At The Nürburgring 24  Hour

But it is lifted with 4 wheel drive. It truly is the first crossover. It crossed over a segment to create a new one. 

AMC Eagle - Photos, News, Reviews, Specs, Car listings | Futuristic cars,  Lifted cars, Amc

From derisive hoots to award-winning technology: How Ferguson and... |  Hemmings

yeah...they call the Outback as a wagon.  

2020 Subaru Legacy review: 2020 Subaru Legacy first drive review: It's  what's inside that counts - CNET

Its lifted though, but at least its based on a sedan.  Its a wagon... barely.  Kinda like the Eagle.   True!!!

Ill repeat though, the Lyriq has NO sedan equivalent.  Its a crossover... 

2020 Subaru Outback Review, Ratings, Specs, Prices, and Photos - The Car  Connection

As for me buying one, one day. Any CUV/SUV.   Possibly...  when Im like 80 years old and I can barely get into my cars...because of ease of ingress and egress...   Im 49 and I dont have any issues just yet.   Not making fun of anybody...but yeah...

AND...I dont really crave AWD.  I have it on my Acura ONLY because I wanted 300 plus naturally aspirated V6 horses and at that time, the Acura TL SH-AWD was the one that had what it took to get my money in 2012.  A few years later if I waited to buy a car, and it would have been an Impala in my driveway instead.  300 horse naturally aspirated V6 powering the front wheels.  Ideally, I would have lived in an area where there aint no snow so RWD would have been my thing.

Its not just the ride height I dont like on CUVs/SUVs, its the unnecessary weight that Id be lugging around with AWD.  That goes for the TL SH-AWD as well.   

If Id buy a RWD sedan that offers AWD like a Pentastar V6 Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger or the myriad of BMWs and Mercedes Benzes and buy those with AWD, then Id lose the ONLY benefit that RWD has over FWD.   And that would be the fun driving characteristics of a tossable rear end...     And for what? For me to drive in snow?   FWD takes care of that, and the extra heft could kiss my ass.  But I realized that a FWD/AWD car is just as numbing an experience as a regular FWD car, or a RWD with AWD...  

So for me, unless I actually go offroading, 4 wheel drive could kiss my ass... 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 2

Interesting, BMW and Mercedes have failed after spending billions on ride sharing autos across North America and Europe and has sold the business to Stellantis.

Stellantis to Buy Mercedes and BMW’s Car-Sharing Venture (msn.com)

11 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Rivian's stock has gotten beat to sh!t since it's IPO. 

It's IPO price was $78/share, it spiked up to $179/share in the first week and has since fallen extremely hard, down to ~$21/share as of right now and still falling. 

Buying time for their stock. :) 

14 hours ago, David said:

Buying time for their stock. :) 

Down another 10% thus far today! $20.30 as of this writing. I'd like to get it on it shortly. I actually wanted IPO prices but since this tumble, I'm keeping an eye out for it and going to read up on where it "should" bottom out around. 

I have faith in the company and it would definitely be a long-term play because I don't see them getting out of this production hole anytime soon. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Down another 10% thus far today! $20.30 as of this writing. I'd like to get it on it shortly. I actually wanted IPO prices but since this tumble, I'm keeping an eye out for it and going to read up on where it "should" bottom out around. 

I have faith in the company and it would definitely be a long-term play because I don't see them getting out of this production hole anytime soon. 

I actually think after todays financial posting that we will see it in the teens and then it will be a buying time. Mid teens I would be happy with.

• Agree 1

On 5/9/2022 at 1:33 PM, oldshurst442 said:

Ironically Buick builds an equal,  kind of,  to the Subaru Outback, the TourX, but lower to the ground and not as proficient in offroading... 

2020 Buick Regal TourX Review

based on the Regal sedan

2020 Buick Regal Sportback Review, Pricing, and Specs

and calls it a crossover.

I'll say that the Subaru Legacy sedan is sort of acceptable while the Outback is not.  As for the two Buick/Opel products you've posted, they are substantially more attractive than the Subaru or any Asian brand econoboxes.

On 5/10/2022 at 10:08 AM, ccap41 said:

Rivian's stock has gotten beat to sh!t since it's IPO. 

It's IPO price was $78/share, it spiked up to $179/share in the first week and has since fallen extremely hard, down to ~$21/share as of right now and still falling. 

This stuff is tricky.  Business schools teach that stock price stems from a formula more or less discounting future cash flows going to the stockholder.  

I'm not so sure I believe in the "theory of efficient markets."  One day, HPQ (Hewlett Packard), which had been hovering around $ 35 to $ 37, jumps up to $ 41 or $ 42 because an event like Warren Buffett buying some up made it spike.  It came right back down and is back in the range it was in before, even before this latest market tumble.  

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

I'll say that the Subaru Legacy sedan is sort of acceptable while the Outback is not.  As for the two Buick/Opel products you've posted, they are substantially more attractive than the Subaru or any Asian brand econoboxes.

I like the TourX. I prefer the Regal. 

2020 Buick Regal GS

But, I prefer the previous gen by a looong shot, even though the previous gen was smaller and stubbier looking.  I truly truly liked this gen.

Reset the 2016 Buick Regal Oil Life Display % After a Oil Change | Buick  regal, Buick regal gs, Buick

I still prefer the Impala of this era over both

2020 Chevrolet Impala Pricing, Review, Pictures and Specs | CARHP

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I like the TourX. I prefer the Regal. 

2020 Buick Regal GS

But, I prefer the previous gen by a looong shot, even though the previous gen was smaller and stubbier looking.  I truly truly liked this gen.

Reset the 2016 Buick Regal Oil Life Display % After a Oil Change | Buick  regal, Buick regal gs, Buick

I still prefer the Impala of this era over both

2020 Chevrolet Impala Pricing, Review, Pictures and Specs | CARHP

I would take the first gen Regel over the Chevrolet every day, the Chevy Sedan style just does nothing for me.

Happy for Rivian, 10,000 new reservations at an average transaction price of $93,000 has given them a stock bump up, I was hoping for it to drop into the teens and then buy some, gonna have to rethink my strategy. $25 a share right now, might still not be bad, but would have been better at $21. :( 

Rivian Automotive Earnings Date, Forecast, and Transcript (NASDAQ:RIVN) (marketbeat.com)

Glad to see Ford Electric Vehicle sales surge

Electric Vehicle Sales Increased 139 Percent On Strength Of Mustang Mach-E and E-Transit – First F-150 Lightnings Now Shipping To Dealers; Improved Inventory Flow Delivered April Share Gains Despite Semiconductor Chip Challenges; F-Series Deliveries Continue To Grow | Ford Media Center

I like AAA review of the Mach-e and agree with why they say this is the best current electric auto out there.

2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD wins AAA’s Best Overall Car for 2022 | Ford Media Center

Brawn and Brains: How Ford F-150 Lightning Software Accurately Estimates Range to Give Customers Confidence While Towing | Ford Media Center

247814807_F-150Lightning_PowerMyTrip.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, David said:

Happy for Rivian, 10,000 new reservations at an average transaction price of $93,000 has given them a stock bump up, I was hoping for it to drop into the teens and then buy some, gonna have to rethink my strategy. $25 a share right now, might still not be bad, but would have been better at $21. :( 

Yup, I'm in the same boat. I would have liked to see it below $20 to buy-in. I'll just continue to keep an eye on it though. I'm sure it'll drop below there at some point. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2022 at 9:18 PM, oldshurst442 said:

I was waaaaay off.

Bruins survived and onward to game 7.

Whowoodathunk that? 

Many 'experts' thought that apparently.  They would STILL be wrong tho...

I didn't catch any of the game but it always hurts to lose a game 7... 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 9:26 PM, oldshurst442 said:

I sure do like it. I wouldnt do this restomod on THAT particular Chevy.  But I would do THAT restomod on a Tri-Five Chevy.  Or a myriad of 1960s Impalas.  On an Olds 1949/50 and even possibly on am '51 Rocket 88.    

Yeah, not my favorite era of full size Chevy...but a restomodded '71-73 Impala would be more to my taste..

On 5/16/2022 at 11:28 AM, ccap41 said:

I didn't catch any of the game but it always hurts to lose a game 7... 

It was over before it even began. 

And if you were delusional about the Bruins actually beating the 'Canes, it was over when Domi scored in the 1st. Bruins never had a chance.  I was wrong about the Bruins losing 4 straight or in 5. But I knew the Bruins didnt have that 2nd line center to make a deep play off run. They ran into the 'Canes round 1, they didnt have a chance to get past round 1.  That much I knew. 

Therefore, I was happy that the Bruins actually made it to a game 7.  

Now Im sad because I dont know what Bergeron will do.  Lace it up for another year or retire.  

I wont be sad if he decides to retire, because he gave hos body and soul to the team, Ill be sad to never see him play again...

I dont think he'll sign elsewhere. I think he will call it quits. 

• Like 1

WOW, Missed the world premiere of the EQS SUV, but have to say MEH to this SUV as it really does nothing for inspiration. Almost as if Mercedes wants their EVs to fail.

Digital World Premiere EQS SUV - Mercedes me media (mercedes-benz.com)

Seems that Honda as they work to eventually bring EVs to market, will focus on making their core auto's all Hybrid soon in replacing ICE only. Seems CR-V, Accord and Civic will be made Hybrid only soon and then the Pilot BEV in 2024.

Honda to Focus on Increasing Hybrid Volume with Core Models: CR-V, Accord and in the Future, Civic (hondanews.com)

14 hours ago, David said:

WOW, Missed the world premiere of the EQS SUV, but have to say MEH to this SUV as it really does nothing for inspiration. Almost as if Mercedes wants their EVs to fail.

These taillights are pretty fckn sweet though.

image.png.9c838ec523fcc3f3fd4ee2d9cb3b7bac.png

I don't love it but I certainly do not hate it like the EQS and EQE Sedans. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

These taillights are pretty fckn sweet though.

image.png.9c838ec523fcc3f3fd4ee2d9cb3b7bac.png

I don't love it but I certainly do not hate it like the EQS and EQE Sedans. 

True, the tail lights are pretty cool, wonder what the cost is for replacement? 🤔

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2022 at 11:16 PM, balthazar said:

On 2/4/2022 at 7:26 PM, David said:

Yes, the Journey is the fun part of auto projects. But the realist in me sees that GTO above as a lost cause that is past the time of being a fun auto restoration even for a donut making car. I honestly doubt anyone here would really take on that GTO as a project car. The guy is looking for advertisement hits on his channel which is more important to him than the GTO.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/1970-pontiac-gto-muscle-car-shot-to-death-in-texas/

006 world of wheels 1970 pontiac gto

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, knightfan26917 said:

Hmmmmmmmm......long time no see.

O:) 

Cort, pig and cow valves with pacemaker
2003 MGM LS + 1981 cmc SC; need 1975 Chrysler Cordoba
"Something's wrong in the world today" | Aerosmith | 'Living On The Edge'

Welcome back, hope life has been good to you. Look forward to seeing you post again. :) 

• Like 1

Happy Memorial Day Weekend Everyone. Have a great one, relax, eat yummy food and enjoy your family and friends. Wishing everyone the best.

• Like 2

Seems everyone was excited with the opening of reservation books for the Nissan Ariya EV.

Reservations now open for all-new 2023 Nissan Ariya electric crossover (nissannews.com)

The big question by many was would it sell?

Now we have news that after 6 months, the 2023 model year is sold out.

Nissan US Dealers Told To Stop Taking New Orders For 2023 Ariya (msn.com)

Guess pent up demand for electric is strong!

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

Whose idea was to turn an mid-90s Impala SS into a pastiche of a mid-80s El Camino?  This is SAD!

Not an Impala SS, looks like it was a Caprice wagon that had the back roof removed. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, David said:

Seems everyone was excited with the opening of reservation books for the Nissan Ariya EV.

Reservations now open for all-new 2023 Nissan Ariya electric crossover (nissannews.com)

The big question by many was would it sell?

Now we have news that after 6 months, the 2023 model year is sold out.

Nissan US Dealers Told To Stop Taking New Orders For 2023 Ariya (msn.com)

Guess pent up demand for electric is strong!

eh, they didn't plan on building that many the first year and they're having supply chain issues like everyone else.  They can be sold out without building many. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Some interesting stories,

As expected, the stupid markups have started on the 2023 LYRIQ.

2023 Cadillac Lyriq Dealer Markups Have Started (gmauthority.com)

Personally, GM, Ford, all auto OEMs should be penalizing dealerships that markup above MSRP.

Interesting read on why the Tesla 4680 battery is not a advantage to Tesla from the head of Bosch battery research.

Bosch Battery Specialist Disputes Tesla's Advantages with 4680 Cells - autoevolution

Full blog post is here: Tesla tab talk | Bosch Global

Interesting read, I have to agree that I think the nation's energy grid is in need of a major modern upgrade.

Energy experts sound alarm about US electric grid: 'It's not designed to withstand the impacts of climate change' - CNN

The PNW is still very much like winter here, ski resort Crystal Mountain is still open and will be into June. If it stays cool and still getting snow, they could go into July for Ski Season.

Above-average snow lingering in the Cascade Mountains, rangers say | king5.com