Random Thoughts Thread

58 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Also because Apple offers their own competing chipset with their M line of CPUs. They are in everything "Apple" now (save for the technically ARM sourced A series chips in iPhones and TV streaming boxes) so telling Apple their "OS" needs to jive with competing hardware and subsequent OS (and often times, slower hardware) is a tough sell for them, knowing that they are involved in their own project. I just don't get the automakers willing to wholesale abandon a rather sizable user base, in the long term though. Me, personally, I can adapt to any tech thrown into these cars but being that two major sources of data (on my travels) involve my phone, that is a potential issue for me when I decide to go the EV route. GM will be S.O.L. if they decide to keep on this path.  

Qualcomm Wins Yet Another Major Automaker With Its Snapdragon Digital Chassis, Stellantis, With 14 Brands, More Evidence That The Diversification Strategy Is Paying Off (forbes.com)

Stellantis was the last of American brands to sign on to using it across their full portfolio last year.

Very interesting to see the latest generation of Snapdragon Auto

Qualcomm Raises the Bar for Connected Car Technologies with Next Generation Snapdragon Automotive 5G Platform | Qualcomm

This will make it hard for anyone to compete with them if they do not have a massively superior platform. Will be interesting to see how the various Auto companies with Google implement this.

Qualcomm Highlights Snapdragon Ride Flex SoC And The Best Concept Car At CES 2023 (forbes.com)

Based on their news releases, seems more than 30 current legacy auto companies are all using the Snapdragon Auto platform. 

Smart Cars & Connected Car | Qualcomm Automotive Technology | Qualcomm

Based on this, it would seem anyone that thinks they can find something other than the Snapdragon Auto platform with Google will be SOL. Ford, GM and Stellantis is all in on this as is pretty much everyone on Japan other than Toyota that is assessing what way they will go for their new EV platform. Everyone in Germany except Mercedes at this time is using the Snapdragon Auto platform for controllers. China is pretty much locked up by Qualcomm as well for the EV side, much less for the ICE side that is drying off fast.

Seems that Apple has been snubbed by the auto industry leaving people to 3rd party head units that still support traditional Android Auto and Apple carplay.

Seems all of Germany will now be on Snapdragon and Google as Mercedes in September 2022 signed on to the Snapdragon Auto controller system for their new 800V EV platform following GM leadership.

Mercedes-Benz and Qualcomm Collaborate to Power Upcoming Mercedes Vehicles with Snapdragon Digital Chassis Solutions | Qualcomm

Investor Day at Qualcomm had a few surprises, 89 Auto companies have signed up to use Qualcomm Snapdragon in their EVs and a quiet join is that Toyota has now agreed to move their ICE and EV autos to snapdragon.

Smart Cars & Connected Car | Qualcomm Automotive Technology | Qualcomm

Ben_Hider_20220922_BENH8617.png

It would seem that all of Asia is on board as both Hyundai and Kia are using it in their auto's along with all of Japan, Europe and America. 

Qualcomm believes just like Intel they will continue to improve their Snapdragon auto packages every year constantly increasing power and throughput for the best user connected experience.

Cadillac Lyriq is using last years Qualcomm Snapdragon system, but the 2024 models as they start to produce them will be migrated to the new auto version. This pretty much tells me that each year you can expect the latest auto to have bleeding edge technology that will make one have to decide just how much power / technology do you want in your auto.

Another Chinese auto company is leaving their state controlled chip supplier to use Qualcomm Snapdragon Auto system for superior user experience.

LEAPMOTOR and Qualcomm Further Deepen Technology Collaborations to Create Premium In-vehicle Experiences Based on Next Generation Snapdragon Cockpit Platform | Qualcomm

LEAPMOTOR Picture3.png

13 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I HATE the fact that ALL today's cars have a TV screen to control HVAC and radio controls and all kinds of apps LIKE the car is some sort of phone...  So...for me, this information is just to continue to hate as usual...    

Dont get me wrong, I think its a FANTASTIC thing to HAVE a TV screen to control certain ELEMENTS of the car's dynamics Such as in a sports car, the performance metrics and the like.  But on certain OTHER things, such as the radio and HVAC controls, I DO prefer freakin' buttons...  

OK...although I OLD SCHOOL it by NEW SCHOOLING the GPS map thing,...I WILL google an unknown address AT HOME on my home computer or iPhone and LEARN the streets to get to my destination a la OLD SCHOOL and DRIVE WITHOUT the help of the car TV screen or car GPS...I understand and acknowledge the BENEFITS of REAL TIME directions especially on a TV screen IN your car using live google maps directions.   I just PREFER to old school it by using new school google maps as I would have using a Rand Mcnally map back in the day.   I print or write out the directions and when I drive...I LOOK to see for the streets I need to take by actually looking at the REAL damn STREETS in REALITY...    yeah...I learn ALL the surrounding streets I NEED to look out for BEFORE I hit the street that I need to turn on to yada yada yada.  THIS way, I LEARN MORE about my surrounds and therefore need to rely LESS on google maps...   You COULD say Im a walking map of Montreal and its surroundings...    The ONLY way for someone to achieve this is to actually look at a map and LEARN the damn streets and when driving the damn streets sink in to your brain... 

So...for me...ANY technology that helps us use LESS of our brain and get us to rely MORE on tech is a thing that I HATE... 

I don't hate all of it ... just some of it.

I ask myself, "How much will that cost to  repair?"  I have watched how the dash changed from the one on the last Envision to the new Envision.  I'll take the dash on the last Envision, for example.  Is the current Envision dash one big R&R job, or are there segments of it that are salvageable?  I'm afraid to ask.  I don't plan on using my GM points on one to begin with.

I don't mind the TV screen, as long as it's well done and integrated into the design of the dash.  I do wish they could leave the climate controls in a separate pod that doesn't rely on touch controls.  Because of connectivity to Bluetooth et. al., I could see the audio features remaining up on the TV screen.  When technology changes again and something different from those big TV screens comes along, they sure will look crappy.  We're currently making fun of stuff on cars from the '80s and '90s.  I see them having their day, too.

Recent changes in cars are making them more expensive to buy and more expensive to repair.  It's no wonder some people are "frozen" with regard to this type of purchase.

I figure if I'm worrying about how much it would cost to repair, then I'd be keeping it too long...  I don't intend to keep anything 'modern' (i.e. my '14 Jeep or anything newer) after it's out of warranty or so old that it needs a repair to cabin tech... 

I do think FCA in the mid 10s had a good mix of touch screen controls, physical controls, and redundant controls.  I like having the audio controls on the back of the steering wheel (just like my '00 GC did) and as physical center stack controls and on the touch screen...and the HVAC as a mix of buttons and on-screen.   

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Educational 1

@oldshurst442 @trinacriabob @Robert Hall it is interesting to see the various dash interfaces and how more expensive have real buttons. with touch screen over all touch screens for lower priced models.

GMC Hummer EV

hummer-ev-reveal-suv-gal-my23-hummer-suv-rjm-9634-1024x576.jpg

Leap Motors

LEAPMOTOR Picture3.pngFordMachEDash.webp2020-tesla-model-y-long-range_100754305_h.jpg2024-Chevrolet-Blazer-EV-SS-interior-dashboard-1024x682.jpgMY24-Chevrolet-Equinox-EV-3LT-3.webpIoniq-5-Interior-3.jpg

Kia-EV6-electric-car-2021-ma08.jpg

• Thanks 1

I kinda like the Chevy one w/ the red and the one below it...the rest seem to be ugly gray plastic...

The Hummer went crazy with rectangles... looks like an homage to the F-bodies, Fiero and other 80s designs.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I kinda like the Chevy one w/ the red and the one below it...the rest seem to be ugly gray plastic...

The Hummer went crazy with rectangles... looks like an homage to the F-bodies, Fiero and other 80s designs.

Interesting is that the Hummer and the Black n Red Blazer SS EV have actual real switches / buttons along with a touch screen where the Chevrolet Grey and Black which is the launch interior for the Chevrolet Equinox EV is all touch screen only.

Kia and Hyundai have a mix of real switches/buttons and touch screen where the Tesla, Ford Mach e and Leap Motors from China all have touchscreens only.

All of these all run on Qualcomm Snapdragon Android auto system.

I have to wonder how much will change since we saw the first Jeep EV Dash in the Avenger since they are now going to use the SnapDragon system too.

jeep-avenger-dashboard5.webp

16 hours ago, David said:

That could give little kids a nightmare or extreme joy.

This is an interesting read and explains allot of why the auto industry is going away from Apple Carplay and Android Auto. Will be interesting to see how this works out for them.

Colin Barnden on LinkedIn: #carplay #android #auto #infotainment #smartphone #processor #snapdragon… | 64 comments

What are all your thoughts on this?

@Drew Dowdell @surreal1272 @Robert Hall @oldshurst442 @trinacriabob @smk4565 

That’s overkill of plastic crap.

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I like a mix of real buttons and touch screens.   I don't think I could live w/ a touch screen only interior w/o smashing the screen out of rage/frustration eventually..  😡

I do that now with ALL my touch screens...  Whether it be my iPhone or my cash regsiter, sometimes the lag is too much to bear.  And Apple touch screens are the best in my opinion but sometimes fat fingers is all it takes to fudge things up...  

I dont like buttonless haptic thingys either.  Like Ford's keyless touchpad outside of the car or Apple's home button.  Its the lack of feel that I dont like.  But Ford's system is quite good.  Freezing weather,  snow on it or ice....it works very very nicely.  Apple's home button is quite good too, but sometimes, Apple haptic button not so good...    I gather that newer cars today, as I read or listen to youtube car reviewers, they say that those haptic unbutton buttons are a very hit or miss.  Laggy and not responsive for most of the automaker's systems.  

I gather that with my next car purchase, I will have to invest in a cookie jar  and a bar of soap as the expletives will fly and for me to control that kind of verbal abusive behaviour, I will enforce a 'every time I swear rule'  of 1 Looney per minute swear rant and if it goes longer than 5 minutes, I will wash my mouth off with a bar of soap...  

@Robert Hall @oldshurst442

The comparison of the Snapdragon modules for auto use tends to imply this is a terabyte system that is freaking fast.

Product Listings: Chipsets and SoCs for Automotive Computing I Qualcomm

I wish I could get a straight answer out of GM about this since they originally were moving to a massive Gigabyte backbone powering the current generation cars and trucks which has made a difference, but the SnapDragon that is in the LYRIQ is the first use of this Terabyte system. If they have not cut corners anywhere in implementation, then this would imply a very fast interface, thus reducing the finger smashing of the screen.

I will say that all the reviews of the LYRIQ for 2024 are very positive with a quick snappy interface and as this review clearly states. Everything you want to do via the screen or the few physical buttons on the center stack can be done via the manual controls on the steering wheel or the rotary click wheel.

2024 Cadillac Lyriq Review, Pricing, and Specs (caranddriver.com)

I think for many folks used to a more manual type auto, the future will give them some frustration. But for the younger generations, it will not be an issue.

7 minutes ago, David said:

I think for many folks used to a more manual type auto, the future will give them some frustration. But for the younger generations, it will not be an issue.

I will be speaking for myself.

I do NOT have an issue with this new tech.  TV screens.  Touch screens.  Internet connected automobiles.   Knight Rider type of automobiles.  Bring it on I say!!!   

The ISSUE I have is that autonomous driving is NOT a thing yet. In MY opinion it will NEVER be a thing.  But that is a converstaion for another time.   What Im getting at is that HUMAN driving will continue to BE a factor and HUMAN driver NEEDS to put ALL his/her/they/them attention on the road.  100% of all energy and attention of the driver is to BE given to the driving part and NOT the video game antics of this new technology... 

Changing the HVAC setting to windshield from foot or foot to windshield or to both need NOT be a Dungeons and Dragons video game type quest of an adventure... Flipping pages on the Tee Vee screen or even pressing your favorites haptric button, not realizing you pressed it...trying to press it again and then finally changing it should be discouraged. Encouraged should be having ALL of your senses...ears eyes and brain...on the road ahead, behind and on the sides looking out for other drivers, pedestrians and all other hazards.  

THIS is easy to do without EVER taking your eyes off the road... 

1,251 Car Ac Parts Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

Now truth be told, I havent used this new technology.  Im going on about by what I hear and read and guessing what its like from using smart phones and computers for the last 20 years.  Maybe the reality that I will face using this new tech wont be a problem and its the usual  journalism that sucks reporting the news I read... 

Ill say one thing though.  Montreal weather is finnicky.  It is NOT stable.  Not only from month to month and day to day, bnut sometimes hour by hour.   Setting and changing the HVAC control system, ESPECIALLY in the Fall and Spring seasons, is a CONSTANT thing we do daily.   

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

40 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I will be speaking for myself.

I do NOT have an issue with this new tech.  TV screens.  Touch screens.  Internet connected automobiles.   Knight Rider type of automobiles.  Bring it on I say!!!   

The ISSUE I have is that autonomous driving is NOT a thing yet. In MY opinion it will NEVER be a thing.  But that is a converstaion for another time.   What Im getting at is that HUMAN driving will continue to BE a factor and HUMAN driver NEEDS to put ALL his/her/they/them attention on the road.  100% of all energy and attention of the driver is to BE given to the driving part and NOT the video game antics of this new technology... 

Changing the HVAC setting to windshield from foot or foot to windshield or to both need NOT be a Dungeons and Dragons video game type quest of an adventure... Flipping pages on the Tee Vee screen or even pressing your favorites haptric button, not realizing you pressed it...trying to press it again and then finally changing it should be discouraged. Encouraged should be having ALL of your senses...ears eyes and brain...on the road ahead, behind and on the sides looking out for other drivers, pedestrians and all other hazards.  

THIS is easy to do without EVER taking your eyes off the road... 

1,251 Car Ac Parts Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

Now truth be told, I havent used this new technology.  Im going on about by what I hear and read and guessing what its like from using smart phones and computers for the last 20 years.  Maybe the reality that I will face using this new tech wont be a problem and its the usual  journalism that sucks reporting the news I read... 

Ill say one thing though.  Montreal weather is finnicky.  It is NOT stable.  Not only from month to month and day to day, bnut sometimes hour by hour.   Setting and changing the HVAC control system, ESPECIALLY in the Fall and Spring seasons, is a CONSTANT thing we do daily.   

Totally get what you are saying and agree that it does need to be simple. One thing I have not had a chance to test myself now have I seen anybody actually talk about is the HeatPump replacing traditional heaters/A/C units. Tesla says they blow air constantly on the windows so you never have to deal with fogging windows and with heated seats that you are warm without needing the heat or cold blowing on you from dash vents. 

I would be very interested to know if that is true and yet then we have LYRIQ, GMs first implementation not only with the SnapDragon system but also with a Heatpump. 

Yet GM is still putting in Dash vents.

2024-cadillac-lyriq-dashboard-carbuzz-1086139-1600.jpg

This would imply to me that many folks still like cold or warm air blowing on them in addition to the windows.

FYI, Just read that the Chevrolet Equinox while it does not have traditional dials or switches, the row of graphical images are haptic feedback buttons to inform you that you pressed that spot.

56 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Not unlike Cleveland...even with automatic climate control, I find myself tweaking it often...I do like the intuitive up/down arrows for temp and rotary dial for fan speeds.. FCA did a good job on the '14-22 WK2 GC HVAC and radio controls, IMO...most of these are duplicated in the touch screen and there is stuff only in the touch screen pages like the seat and steering wheel heaters, which vents to blow out of, etc.   But the basic functionality is all there w/ buttons.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

@oldshurst442 @Robert Hall I do like the LYRIQ physical buttons for the HVAC system. They are toggle up and down for heat or cool and then just press to make a change. Then you have the touch screen or rotary dial.

2023-cadillac-lyriq-520.jpg2023-Cadillac-LYRIQ-026.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, David said:

@oldshurst442 @Robert Hall I do like the LYRIQ physical buttons for the HVAC system. They are toggle up and down for heat or cool and then just press to make a change. Then you have the touch screen or rotary dial.

2023-cadillac-lyriq-520.jpg2023-Cadillac-LYRIQ-026.jpg

I sat in the Lyriq at the auto show in Feb.  Really like the interior and exterior design...

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I figure if I'm worrying about how much it would cost to repair, then I'd be keeping it too long...  I don't intend to keep anything 'modern' (i.e. my '14 Jeep or anything newer) after it's out of warranty or so old that it needs a repair to cabin tech... 

I do think FCA in the mid 10s had a good mix of touch screen controls, physical controls, and redundant controls.  I like having the audio controls on the back of the steering wheel (just like my '00 GC did) and as physical center stack controls and on the touch screen...and the HVAC as a mix of buttons and on-screen.   

That is the line of demarcation - those who plan to turn the car around and those who plan to keep it a long time.

A friend who had an early '90s Thunderbird coupe with the bar chart graphics on the instrument cluster had it fail and it was $500 to drop the new one - a solid state piece - into the dash, and this was in the early 2000s.

Now, just like there is planned obsolescence, there seems to be "planned service life."  And, yes, it would penalize the person who is in it to keep a vehicle for a long time.

4 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

That is the line of demarcation - those who plan to turn the car around and those who plan to keep it a long time.

A friend who had an early '90s Thunderbird coupe with the bar chart graphics on the instrument cluster had it fail and it was $500 to drop the new one - a solid state piece - into the dash, and this was in the early 2000s.

Now, just like there is planned obsolescence, there seems to be "planned service life."  And, yes, it would penalize the person who is in it to keep a vehicle for a long time.

Due to the price of raw materials for batteries, unless they can truly mass produce solid-state batteries on common materials, then Leasing will become the new norm as the need to recycle rare earth materials will have a big market.

Interesting times we are entering for sure.

On the flip side, I am seeing more and more stories about EV conversions of old autos.

Electric car enthusiasts tantalized by new idea: converting old vehicles | Toyota | The Guardian

Best EV Conversion Companies of 2023 (treehugger.com)

Why EV conversions could become more mainstream for classic cars through to 4WD utes (msn.com)

Home | Kindred Motorworks

The Five Best Classic Cars to Convert to Electric Vehicles (motortrend.com)

12 Best Electric Car Conversions You Can Buy Right Now | HiConsumption

• Educational 1

Since EV technology is changing so fast, I would only consider a lease.  But an EV makes no sense for me since I don’t have a commute.  My driving patterns are so variable…depending on what I do on weekends, some weeks I drive 5 miles, some 50 miles, some 500 miles…

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GM Leads $50 Million Funding Round in EnergyX to Unlock U.S.-Based Lithium Supply for Rapidly Scaling EV Production

https://pressroom.gm.com/gmbx/us/en/pressroom/home/news.detail.html/Pages/news/us/en/2023/apr/0411-energyx.html

Very cool about GM investing in every step.of the supply chain to bring down prices of EVs.

17 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Since EV technology is changing so fast, I would only consider a lease.  But an EV makes no sense for me since I don’t have a commute.  My driving patterns are so variable…depending on what I do on weekends, some weeks I drive 5 miles, some 50 miles, some 500 miles…

The technology is changing so fast that I'm holding off on auto decisions.  I want to wait until the dust settles, if that even happens.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I actually can see a very valid use case for you Robert to have an EV over ICE unless you go with a specific Hybrid truck I am thinking of, but since you like SUVs like me, I could easily see you in an SUV EV max battery pack so that you have an excellent back up battery if the power is lost due to a winter storm at your new house.

If memory serves me correct, it looked like it had gas or Propane stove and furnace so you can cook and then an EV would be the backup for power use.

I do realize that a Propane or Natural gas generator would also make sense and then stay with an ICE.

Thoughts?

14 minutes ago, David said:

I actually can see a very valid use case for you Robert to have an EV over ICE unless you go with a specific Hybrid truck I am thinking of, but since you like SUVs like me, I could easily see you in an SUV EV max battery pack so that you have an excellent back up battery if the power is lost due to a winter storm at your new house.

If memory serves me correct, it looked like it had gas or Propane stove and furnace so you can cook and then an EV would be the backup for power use.

I do realize that a Propane or Natural gas generator would also make sense and then stay with an ICE.

Thoughts?

I am thinking of getting a whole house generator.  The new house has an electric stove top (which is great), 2 gas furnaces and 2 air conditioners.    And a fireplace. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

I am thinking of getting a whole house generator.  The new house has an electric stove top (which is great), 2 gas furnaces and 2 air conditioners.    And a fireplace. 

Yes, a Whole House Generator would be worth it. My sister where she lives they have power outages during the fall and winter, was the best thing they could have done as this last November we had a really bad storm that took power out for 3 days. So I am thinking about it for my house when I remodel here in the near future.

14 minutes ago, David said:

Yes, a Whole House Generator would be worth it. My sister where she lives they have power outages during the fall and winter, was the best thing they could have done as this last November we had a really bad storm that took power out for 3 days. So I am thinking about it for my house when I remodel here in the near future.

Also thinking about a walk-in tub w/ whirlpool jets in one of the bathrooms, a hot tub for the backyard, and maybe an above ground pool eventually...I really miss having a pool and a hot tub.  I'd rather invest in upgrades to my house than an EV that would only irritate me..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Also thinking about a walk-in tub w/ whirlpool jets in one of the bathrooms, a hot tub for the backyard, and maybe an above ground pool eventually...I really miss having a pool and a hot tub.  I'd rather invest in upgrades to my house than an EV that would only irritate me..

I have been looking at Hot Tubs and found I really like the Natural Chlorination tubs where you put a 50lb bag of salt into a holder and it manages the PH level by using natural salt. You just test it and occasionally have to shock it if it gets too far out of balance, but a natural salt hot tub tends to give a very nice warm sea saltwater experience. They also have mineral hot tubs so you can get that Mineral Hot Spring feel of relaxation and comfort to the body.

Natural Hot Tub Chemicals - As Chemical Free as your Spa Can Be (spamarvel.com)

Saltwater Hot Tub in 2023: Worth the Deal? [Cost & Reviews] | ByRossi

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Reminds of a popular line from school...'party at Rob's!!'

Awesome, so then once your done getting the new house ready, get that nice hot tub in,

Party @ Robert's House!

I will bring plenty of Wine my Friend! :P 

• Thanks 1

Happy Thomas Jefferson's birthday.  No holiday, but ...

... he was our third President, an architect (concurrently, before, after, I don't know), and the founder and designer (initial core campus) of the University of Virginia.

thomas-jefferson-s-rotunda.jpg

Here's their famed emblematic Rotunda and that's a statue of Jefferson in front.  This place didn't let me in for a grad program I applied to!  I wasn't even pissed like I normally would be.  I guess it wasn't meant to be.  I still like them, want them to win their games against "most" of their opponents, and if driving north-south along the Atlantic Seaboard, I might even detour to visit this historic place, to which Monticello, Jefferson's home and grounds, is also nearby.

201904-sunset.jpg

It's a stunning campus, as seen from this nighttime aerial view, picking up a little more of Charlottesville, VA.

A coworker was expecting to have his kid, a boy, arrive on this day and I told him to consider the name Thomas and the reasoning behind it.  This isn't the kind of advice people expect when a newborn is about to arrive.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

A coworker was expecting to have his kid, a boy, arrive on this day and I told him to consider the name Thomas and the reasoning behind it.  This isn't the kind of advice people expect when a newborn is about to arrive.

That is funny!!!

• Thanks 1

This place didn't let me in for a grad program I applied to! 

Fuck Them GIFs | Tenor

I wasn't even pissed like I normally would be.  I guess it wasn't meant to be. 

Oh...never mind then. 

Latest Christopher Walken GIFs | Gfycat

I still like them, want them to win their games against "most" of their opponents, and if driving north-south along the Atlantic Seaboard, I might even detour to visit this historic place, to which Monticello, Jefferson's home and grounds, is also nearby.

Slideshow: Sean Connery's Best Films

• Haha 2

I really like the Mach-E, but lately all the recalls and quality issues of Ford Products have me pulling back from buying anything they make.

Is the Ford Maverick Hybrid Engine Actually Dangerous? (msn.com)

This has me excited for Rivian long term.

A Rivian Small Electric SUV Could Dethrone the World’s Most Popular Electric Vehicle (msn.com)

I just hope Amazon lets them also sell the vans to other companies. This was one mistake I know Rivian regrets letting Amazon control who can buy the Rivian delivery van.

On 4/13/2023 at 11:34 PM, trinacriabob said:

Just a consumer oriented FYI:

Sunoco, in the U.S., fell out of the Top Tier fuel list at some point during the pandemic.  They are now back on the Top Tier fuel list.

They’re always the most expensive around me. Costco or Speedway or Sheetz for me

Someone put a OG CTS and the Celestiq into AI and said merge these and see what car comes out.

IMG_8831.jpeg

I would sell all of your kidneys to get this CT6 EV refresh. Some of you may die, but that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

@Drew Dowdell I would give up a kidney too for this sexy EV Sedan full size.

image.png

This would be game over for Tesla as this has way more sex appeal and desire than a Tesla S ever will have. Especially against Mercedes, this is way freakin better than the EQS, EQE, EQC, the whole feaking EQ family and kills the ugly ass BMW EV family with the oversized kidney grill.

GM needs to build this now.

Please post the link as I would love to play with the tool.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Very cool story on this and I think a pretty hot looking SUV EV for Ford.

Electric Ford Explorer ST Renderings Imagine Performance EV (fordauthority.com)

Ford has already announced a Ford Explorer EV based on the VW MEB platform for Europe and of course someone at the Ford Authority web site built an ST version of it. A good chance we will see an EV version here of this badge in the near future.

Snag_1458fa1b.png

15 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

They’re always the most expensive around me. Costco or Speedway or Sheetz for me

I recall that you like fueling at Costco.

I have tended to use Shell and Marathon.  You can hook up Shell Fuel Rewards for miles on American Airlines.  Marathon hooked up with Southwest but dropped that partner, so I don't use them much or at all now.  I'm now open to other brands, such as Sunoco and BP, 

These brands cost a little more, but I use the GasBuddy app to find cheaper stations.  I also like earning air miles.  Every little bit helps.

2 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I recall that you like fueling at Costco.

I have tended to use Shell and Marathon.  You can hook up Shell Fuel Rewards for miles on American Airlines.  Marathon hooked up with Southwest but dropped that partner, so I don't use them much or at all now.  I'm now open to other brands, such as Sunoco and BP, 

These brands cost a little more, but I use the GasBuddy app to find cheaper stations.  I also like earning air miles.  Every little bit helps.

Yeah, Costco is close by in a shopping area I use often. I also pass it on my way to/from work.  They are top-tier and consistently the cheapest in the county, at the moment, they're 15c/g cheaper than the next cheapest.  The Costco Visa which I have, also gets you 4% cash back on gas purchases at any gas station.  I did use Gasbuddy for a bit, but once gas prices get over $3 a gallon, the 4% cashback is usually a better deal than the GasBuddy card.

I've flown once since Covid started. I go for the cashback these days.

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, David said:

I would give up a kidney too for this sexy EV Sedan full size.

Problem is, @Drew Dowdell aint giving up HIS kidney.  He is willing to give up someone else's kidney...

16 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I would sell all of your kidneys to get this CT6 EV refresh. Some of you may die, but that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make.

I personally dont think the AI sketch is all that great.   It looks like it could be a  GEELY 山寨.      Geely Shānzhài.  Translation:  Geely Copycat.  English name:   Geely Copy Leopard.    ie...a Chinese knock off Cadillac...

Geely Copy Leopard.   

image.png

CTS-V

Review: 2016 Cadillac CTS-V

Geely Copy Leopard

image.png

CT6-V Blackwing

2019 Cadillac Ct6 V Indianapolis, Indiana | Hemmings

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1