• Welcome Guest!

Founded in 2001, CheersandGears.com is one of the oldest continuously running automotive enthusiast communities on the net. 

Drew Dowdell

Jaguar News: Jaguar Unveils Refreshed 2016 Jaguar XJ

The Jaguar XJ is getting a refresh for the 2016 model year, but almost all of the upgrades come from the I. T. department.

Visually, the exterior gets new LED accent lighting, active LED headlamps with automatic high-beams, and a more upright grille. XJR models will come with a Black Pack option for sportier styling.

Engines for the US carry over with the 340 horsepower supercharged 3.0 liter V6 and the 5.0 liter V8 in either 470 hp or 550 hp tune. Europe gets an upgraded, lower emissions diesel 3.0 liter V6 and a 236 hp / 250 lb-ft 2.0 liter turbo 4-cylinder. All engines are tied to a ZF 8-speed automatic transmission in either rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive.

Next up, Jaguar's I.T. Department goes to town

Click here to view the article

First and foremost I absolutely FAIL.. to see the differences in this new on and the one we have been looking at sporadically for the past 5 years. I FAIL.. to see why no one calls certain companies out on BULL$h! like this yet get on Cadillac for making their CT6 resemble the gorgeous CTS.

Jag's advantage of weight is no longer an advantage:

Curb weight lbs (kg)
RWD: From 3,891 (1,765) /
AWD: From 4,112 (1,865)
RWD: From 3,913 (1,775) /
AWD: From 4,134 (1,875)

CT6 is promised to not go over 4000

The lightest XJ is still 3900. The CT6 is promised to be 3650 base.

Wheel base of 119.4 to 124.3, meaning the difference between it and the CT6 is in the middle with the Cadillac being 1.9 inches shorter than the LWB XJ, yet 3 inches longer than the SWB

Interior wise I am gonna go with Caddy again. The Jag looks like it has not gone any further. And what is it suddenly with the need for the seats to look like quilts in luxo cars.. and Kia???

I totally agree with Cmicasa on his take on this FAILURE of Jag!

My my, this Kitty has aged horribly.

When this car came out I was in love with the sexiness of it. I was totally ready to forget about years 1994-2007. However...looking at how awkward the front fascia looks, how the C-Pillar looks weird, I long for the Series II & III...

If LSX swaps are overdone...this is the one car that begs for a Chevy Small Block to be dropped under its hood.

jaguar_xj_6_14.jpg

And of course coupe

19cq5qb2xf2xsjpg.jpg

I liked the very last of the "classic" style.

Are we talking about the generation before this one?

What are the "automatic high beams" supposed to do?

Question regarding WHATEVER jaguar may do- will anyone notice/care?

He's talking about this sexy cat... respectable as EFF.. and not chasing any one

2009_jaguar_xj_sedan_xjr_fq_oem_1_500.jp

Yeah, that. After putting this article up, I poked around on Autotrader and found one of those in LWB Portfolio trim for very reasonable money. very sharp car

^^^

Especially in supercharged form, that generation was a beast.

I noticed how I worded my comments about me being ready to forget the 1994-2007 models could be viewed as negative.

What I meant to say is that I was ready for Jaguar's new generation and new looks. I liked the new direction.

But unfortunately...the XJ has aged horribly, and the XF is heading in the same direction for me....and that is why I long for Jag's XJ Series II and III...because those lines are timeless. And yeah...like Drew said...the last of the "classic" style indeed.

He's talking about this sexy cat... respectable as EFF.. and not chasing any one

Yeah, that. After putting this article up, I poked around on Autotrader and found one of those in LWB Portfolio trim for very reasonable money. very sharp car

It was a flagship, that was not the S-Class, wasn't German, wasn't fat as $h!.. and people knu U were well-off when U pulled up. 

Cadillac.. will U market the CT6 the way the OLD XJ was marketed  please?

• Upvote 2

It was a flagship, that was not the S-Class, wasn't German, wasn't fat as $h!.. and people knu U were well-off when U pulled up. 

Cadillac.. will U market the CT6 the way the OLD XJ was marketed  please?

And it had a proper horizontal Jag dash w/ a plank 'o wood.  The current XJ dash is so generic and styleless...

• Upvote 1

This is a mid-cycle enhancement, so nothing much to get excited about.  I thought the XJ looked cool when it came out, and the XJR models still do sort of, but it is looking like a bit of a boring design.  It is too rounded off, too much jelly bean shape like every other car on the road.

I also was a big fan of the 2004-2008 era XJ, especially the XJR since it had the sport body kit and wheels.  That car just looked different than everything else, it looked old school and bad ass, like something a mafia hitman would drive.  And they were dirt cheap used compared to other luxury cars.

Well...the interior of the Jaguar is from 2009...Its an older design...

And...the dashboard and console displays can be personalized and configured to display what the driver wants. That would be a common and expected feature today in 2015, but in 2009, Jaguar was amongst the first to offer this. So...although the design might look dated, the tech behind the LCD dashboard and console screen  could be said is innovative one could say that Cadillac FINALLY caught up to the 21st century...just sayin'

I mean...the Jaguar XJ is not all that bad...

It still pampers you...

2014_Jaguar_XJ3.jpg

00100065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_000

Id say that is a BIG win for the Jaaaaaaaaaag as compared to the Cadillac CT6...

Executive seating in the back for the CT6...

c81c9bbe978994dee9da9ac9aa87b6b2.jpg

Yeah...I know....give Cadillac enough time to grow into top tier 1...cool...but we cant just tear down another competitor just because....especially when that competitor's vehicle is still above the food chain of the best vehicle our favorite brand offers...

^^^^having say in the back of the CT6at the NY show.. I can attest that the seats in the rear.. that I'll never want to ride in.. do recline and move aft and fore.. the media center is awesome and there is a proposed table setting as well.

I do like the new XJ also, but it needed more than the refresh it got.   I wish Jaguar had worked on the 3.0 V6 NHV, it feels buzzy and not premium at all. 

I'd take the XJ interior over the CT6 I think.  The XJ has a lot of that piano black trim that I don't like, but I still like the style and design of the XJ interior.  S-class beats them all tough.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Jaguar is possibly working on another crossover, one to take on the likes of the Porsche Cayenne and BMW X5.
      Autocar reports that Jaguar is planning a flagship crossover to not only build on the massive success of their current crossovers (F-Pace and E-Pace), but also to attract wealthy customers, especially in China.
      Reportedly named J-Pace, the crossover will debut a new design language that is currently being worked on by design director Ian Callum. Underpinning the model will be the aluminum architecture used in the Range Rover. For the J-Pace, the architecture will be made slightly longer and wider. It will also sit lower for better on-road behavior. Also coming from the Range Rover will be a number of powertrains, including a plug-in hybrid. 
      The model is expected to launch in 2021.
      Source: Autocar

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Jaguar is possibly working on another crossover, one to take on the likes of the Porsche Cayenne and BMW X5.
      Autocar reports that Jaguar is planning a flagship crossover to not only build on the massive success of their current crossovers (F-Pace and E-Pace), but also to attract wealthy customers, especially in China.
      Reportedly named J-Pace, the crossover will debut a new design language that is currently being worked on by design director Ian Callum. Underpinning the model will be the aluminum architecture used in the Range Rover. For the J-Pace, the architecture will be made slightly longer and wider. It will also sit lower for better on-road behavior. Also coming from the Range Rover will be a number of powertrains, including a plug-in hybrid. 
      The model is expected to launch in 2021.
      Source: Autocar
    • By William Maley
      Seeing the R on a Jaguar model means one thing, high performance. But the launch of Jaguar Land Rover's Special Vehicle Operations (SVO) and SVR high-performance models is causing some confusion. 
      “We have found F-Type R and F-Type SVR kind of compete against each other. The truth of the matter is that F-Type R is a great car and, in some respects, SVR has a challenging time because the R is such a good car in the first place,” said Wayne Burgess, Jaguar SVO design director to Auto Express.
      “To be completely honest Jaguar is a fairly small brand and probably in reality there is not enough room in each model line to have an R and an SVR.”
      Burgess' comments hint that Jaguar could be dropping their R lineup in an effort to reduce confusion and allow SVR models “to shine”. 
      “We would rather have a genuine SVR halo in the line-up and then jump an R model – that is better way of doing things. In a model line that doesn’t have an R, it can allow SVR to really shine.
      We're beginning to see this idea take root. At last week's New York Auto Show, Jaguar unveiled the F-Pace SVR with a supercharged V8 producing 542 horsepower.
      Source: Auto Express

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Seeing the R on a Jaguar model means one thing, high performance. But the launch of Jaguar Land Rover's Special Vehicle Operations (SVO) and SVR high-performance models is causing some confusion. 
      “We have found F-Type R and F-Type SVR kind of compete against each other. The truth of the matter is that F-Type R is a great car and, in some respects, SVR has a challenging time because the R is such a good car in the first place,” said Wayne Burgess, Jaguar SVO design director to Auto Express.
      “To be completely honest Jaguar is a fairly small brand and probably in reality there is not enough room in each model line to have an R and an SVR.”
      Burgess' comments hint that Jaguar could be dropping their R lineup in an effort to reduce confusion and allow SVR models “to shine”. 
      “We would rather have a genuine SVR halo in the line-up and then jump an R model – that is better way of doing things. In a model line that doesn’t have an R, it can allow SVR to really shine.
      We're beginning to see this idea take root. At last week's New York Auto Show, Jaguar unveiled the F-Pace SVR with a supercharged V8 producing 542 horsepower.
      Source: Auto Express
    • By William Maley
      Waymo is expanding its partnership with automakers. On the eve of the New York Auto Show, the company announced a new partnership with Jaguar Land Rover that will include rolling out a fleet of more than 20,000 self-driving, fully electric I-Pace SUVs over the course of the next two years. Waymo CEO John Krafcik describes the new addition to their fleet as being the "world’s first premium, electric, self-driving car."
      The I-Paces will be part of Waymo's upcoming self-driving transportation service that will launch later this year in Arizona with the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. Prototypes of the I-Pace with Waymo tech will launch towards the end of year. Waymo is planning on having a broader spectrum of vehicles in its autonomous fleet from small cars to semi trucks.
      "With the Jaguar I-PACE we have a world-beating car that’s captured the imagination of customers around the world. Our passion for further advancing smart mobility needs expert long-term partners. In joining forces with Waymo we are pioneering to push the boundaries of technology. Together we will deliver the self-driving Waymo Jaguar I-PACE with the grace, space and eco-pace that customers expect," said Jaguar Land Rover CEO Ralf Speth.
      This announcement comes at a very awkward time for self-driving cars. Last week, a pedestrian was killed in a collision with an Uber self-driving vehicle in Arizona. Since then, a number of companies have suspended testing on public roads. Arizona has also has suspended Uber from conducting self-driving tests in the state.
      Source: Jaguar Land Rover 
      Press Release is on Page 2

WAYMO AND JAGUAR LAND ROVER ANNOUNCE LONG-TERM PARTNERSHIP, BEGINNING WITH SELF-DRIVING JAGUAR I-PACE
      Jaguar Land Rover and Waymo today announce a long-term strategic partnership. Together, the two companies will develop the world’s first premium self-driving electric vehicle for Waymo’s driverless transportation service.
      Jaguar I-PACE will be the first premium self-driving electric vehicle in Waymo’s fleet First Waymo self-driving I-PACE will start tests in 2018, and become part of Waymo’s driverless fleet from 2020 Up to 20,000 vehicles to join Waymo’s fleet in the first two years of production Jaguar Land Rover and Waymo to explore other future collaborations Jaguar Land Rover and Waymo today announce a long-term strategic partnership. Together, the two companies will develop the world’s first premium self-driving electric vehicle for Waymo’s driverless transportation service.
      Jaguar Land Rover and Waymo (formerly Google self-driving car project) will work together to design and engineer self-driving Jaguar I-PACE vehicles. This long-term strategic collaboration will further Waymo and Jaguar Land Rover’s shared goals: to make cars safer, free up people’s valuable time and improve mobility for everyone.
      Waymo Jaguar I-PACEs, equipped with Waymo's self-driving technology, will start testing later this year. On-road testing and capturing real-world data will allow Waymo and Jaguar Land Rover engineers to refine technology and deliver optimum safety and reliability. Up to 20,000 I-PACEs will be built in the first two years of production and be available for riders of Waymo’s driverless service, serving a potential one million trips per day.
      The Jaguar I-PACE was launched earlier this month and is the company’s first full-electric SUV. It is all-new from the ground up and is a no compromise, desirable and practical electric performance car. Jaguar Land Rover is committed to investing heavily, becoming automotive leaders in autonomous, connected and future electrified technologies. 
      To date, Waymo is the only company with a fleet of fully self-driving cars — with no one in the front seat — on public roads. Later this year Waymo will launch the world’s first self-driving transportation service allowing members of the public to use Waymo’s app to request a vehicle.
      "With the Jaguar I-PACE we have a world-beating car that’s captured the imagination of customers around the world. Our passion for further advancing smart mobility needs expert long-term partners. In joining forces with Waymo we are pioneering to push the boundaries of technology. Together we will deliver the self-driving Waymo Jaguar I-PACE with the grace, space and eco-pace that customers expect."
      PROF. DR. RALF SPETH
      JAGUAR LAND ROVER CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
      "While we've been focused at Waymo on building the world's most experienced driver, the team at Jaguar Land Rover has developed an all-new battery-electric platform that looks to set a new standard in safety, design and capability. We're sure Waymo riders will enjoy the safe, premium and delightful experience that the self-driving I-PACE will provide."
      JOHN KRAFCIK
      WAYMO CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER

View full article
  • My Clubs