William Maley

Honda News: Uncovered! 2016 Honda Civic

Someone at Honda is going to be yelled at. An eagle-eyed member of the CivicX forum caught the next-generation Civic parked outside of a building in Ann Arbor, MI.

Compared to the Civic Coupe concept shown at New York, the production sedan retains a number of details such as the fastback shape and bold front end treatment. We have to admit that the Civic is quite the looker.

We'll have more information and pictures when Honda officially introduces the next-generation Civic on Wednesday.

Source: CivicX.com
Image Credit: Mark at CivicX.com

View full article

I remember a Honda Civic when it was  sooooo small, it would have probably fit between the front and back wheels of this 2016 version.

ad194_img4_large.jpg

Also, the side profile reminds me of the side profile of a Nissan Maxima

2015-Nissan-Maxima-Side-1.jpg

And my final thoughts...

I never really liked a Honda Civic...ever.

good, for a honda actually.  i thought the new cruze would spank this but i can see the fanbois will probably lean towards the hondas.....

• Upvote 1

Well, that's the concept Maxima, not the production model.

Yeah...its the Nismo I think.

I couldnt find a decent side profile pic of a regular trimmed production Maxima.

And I was desperate to show some sort of proof as to why I think the way I do...so...Voila! Nismo concept it is.

How can this be?

So will the Fit grow next too?

Most likely, but that it so far out at the moment since Honda just released the current Fit last year.

I am not averse to chromium, but WTH is that giant block of it across the front of the new Civic?  Not bad otherwise, imo.  Makes me want to see the EX coupe.

• Upvote 1

Looks ugly, and of course it has "4-door coupe" styling, which every car does not, it is so overdone.   It does look really big, I don't get why these cars keep growing.  Like Ford has made the Focus and Fusion grow to make room for the Fiesta, not the Taurus might be phased out.    So here the Civic is like becoming their new mid-size, if the Accord gets any bigger it will be a full size car, then they'll need a Fit sedan to fill in for where he Civic was 10 years ago. 

I'll admit that I am happy with the new Civic in terms of the looks. What I worry about is the interior and what powertrains will be available.

At least we won't have to wait long to see it.

FAIL and they say software is bloated, the auto companies are on the 70's-80's attitude of growing every auto, we now have 

AUTO BLOAT!!! :metal:

The Civic needs a diet in the worst way possible along with getting ride of the Metal Mouth front end.

• Downvote 1

How can this be?

So will the Fit grow next too?

Probably. The Spark just did.

Yup. Every car grows. Except maybe the Miata. But can anybody name a car that has shrunk in the past 5 years? That's just "how it goes".

FAIL and they say software is bloated, the auto companies are on the 70's-80's attitude of growing every auto, we now have 

AUTO BLOAT!!! :metal:

The Civic needs a diet in the worst way possible along with getting ride of the Metal Mouth front end.

Oh CRAP!!!

I downvoted this post by accident...

I did not want to....and I thought it didnt register, but it did...SORRY!!!

Could you please reverse it Drew?

No Problem Olds :)

I have always wondered why companies feel the need to grow an auto from one class to another besides the jones jones race of others added a few inches so we must also. Yet then they end up having to introduce a new auto when the existing one no longer fits in that segment and they need one to fit.

We saw how in the 70's and 80's they grew and bloated auto's and ended up having to kill off the car. 

So the new accord grows to become from mid to full size, the civic grows and goes from compact to mid size and the fit goes from subcompact to compact. So what will the new "FIT" subcompact car be?

No Problem Olds :)

I have always wondered why companies feel the need to grow an auto from one class to another besides the jones jones race of others added a few inches so we must also. Yet then they end up having to introduce a new auto when the existing one no longer fits in that segment and they need one to fit.

We saw how in the 70's and 80's they grew and bloated auto's and ended up having to kill off the car. 

So the new accord grows to become from mid to full size, the civic grows and goes from compact to mid size and the fit goes from subcompact to compact. So what will the new "FIT" subcompact car be?

Yeah...I was just clicking randomly on the mouse, for fun I guess  :stupid: ..when the pointer drifted on the voting box thingy...

I was trying to find an explanation why manufacturers grow their cars bigger and bigger...and came up with a theory, then I realized all that I was saying was just...jibber jabber :XD:

I have no clue as to why they do...

CCAP's explanation IS the best..."its just how it goes"

I prefer to use the cliché that I ALWAYS use outside of the internets...It is what it is!

(high lighted in blue and silver..just to kick off the 2015 NFL Football Season!)

ab658d03b9d2b8195ecd67ced83b4cfc.jpg

Edited by oldshurst442

one reason models grow one class or whatever, their original demographic gets older and the class of car grows with it.......

one reason models grow one class or whatever, their original demographic gets older and the class of car grows with it.......

That would tend to go against marketing then of having customers move up as they grow up themselves from a basic compact to mid size to full size and pay more for more luxury. So I cannot go with the car grows up with the customer.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By dfelt
      According to Autoblog, Honda started production of their 2019 Insight Hybrid car. This will be slotted between the Civic and Accord Hybrid.
      This brings the Honda family of Green Cars to the following 5 models:
      Clarity Fuel Cell Clarity Electric Clarity Plug-In Hybrid Insight Hybrid Accord Hybrid These are all cars in the age of CUVs & SUVs. Does it make sense for Honda to be building all these new car models when the newest Honda Accord is sitting on the lots with 104 day supply at the end of March and now at over 145 day supply Honda is idling for 2 weeks the 4,200 employees at the Marysville Ohio plant. This is in comparison to the average of just 70 days for all other car models out for sale.
      EPA rating are not out yet, but Honda expects to get 55 mpg equal to the Toyota Prius and hyundai Ioniq for City driving and no word on Highway driving.
      Does it make sense that Honda is continuing to invest in cars at a time that the public is ignoring them as they move to trucks / CUVs / SUVs?
      Autoblog story
    • By dfelt
      EV Battery War Heats UP, Asia Versus America!
      Seems America, Tesla and the department of energy have created the next war. This is the Battery war, Lithium Ion versus Solid State batteries and Japan is behind. As such according to the story in the Nikkei, the Japanese government is funding research by leading Japanese manufacturers to develop what they believe will power the EVs of the future.
      This group brings together the Japanese Consortium for Lithium Ion Battery Technology and Evaluation Center (Libtec) with Toyota Motor, Nissan Motor, Honda Motor, Panasonic and battery maker GS Yuasa to develop rapid charging solid-state batteries that are easier to manufacture, safer, denser energy and costs less.
      The story goes on to say that Toyota's Solid State battery technology is considered to be the most advanced in the world, but is not commercialized yet. This new consortium is meant to make this happen by being funded by the Japanese government. This should help Japan beat China, Korea and the US in having the fastest charging, safest and densest battery packs in the world. Current market numbers are that global battery market shows Japan had 70% in 2013 but shrunk to 41% today, China and Korea combine for 26% today from 3% in 2013
      The consortium is quoted as bringing the smaller but denser 400km Toyota solid state battery pack to market in the next 18 months in current EVs and have the size grow of the solid state batteries grow very little while having 550km batteries by 2025 and 800km batteries by 2030. For those that are a bit rusty on their metric, this equates to 249, 342, and 497 miles of range in a small dense battery pack.
      Japan industry ministry is eager for the country to reclaim its global dominance by setting the standard for solid-state batteries.

Nikkei Story
    • By William Maley
      Volkswagen has made their plans clear of introducing a number of full electric vehicles beginning with the I.D. next year. But the company is also planning to electrify a number of models beginning with the next-generation Golf.
      This week at the International Vienna Motor Symposium, Volkswagen unveiled a 48-volt mild hybrid system currently under development for the Mk. 8 Golf. The system is comprised of a 48-volt belt-integrated starter generator and a 48-volt battery. This will allow for an enhanced stop-start system, brake regeneration, and engine-off coasting. Volkswagen made specific mention of the last feature as it would save 0.3 liters of gas over 100 kilometers - not a lot, but every little bit helps.
      “Electrifying conventional drives will enable us to further reduce consumption and emissions while also increasing dynamics and convenience. We are starting this extensive electrification campaign with Volkswagen’s best-selling vehicle to date – the Golf. Our newly developed, cost-effective 48-V mild hybrid will pave the way for introducing this type of technology to the mainstream,” said Volkswagen's Member of the Board of Management for VW Passenger Cars, Dr. Frank Welsch.
      It is expected that Volkswagen will reveal the Mk.8 Golf sometime next year.
      Source: Volkswagen

Volkswagen to offer electrified versions of its models
      Extensive hybrid programme for the next Golf is the starting point for the comprehensive electrification of conventional drives New 48-V mild hybrid is the first step into the world of efficient electrified models 48-V starter generator is a versatile all-rounder Volkswagen is to launch an electric version of its globally best-selling vehicle – the Volkswagen Golf, offering a sustainable, efficient and powerful alternative. The introduction of innovative, new hybrid systems in the eighth generation of Golf vehicles marks a new era for the brand with regard to drive technology. In the future, Volkswagen will gradually electrify almost every vehicle in its range of models. The company is offering a first look at the future of electrified drive systems as part of the International Vienna Motor Symposium – one of the world’s most important congresses on the automotive technology of today and the future.
      “Electrifying conventional drives will enable us to further reduce consumption and emissions while also increasing dynamics and convenience”, says Dr Frank Welsch, Member of the Board of Management for Volkswagen Passenger Cars with responsibility for Technical Development. Welsch continues: “We are starting this extensive electrification campaign with Volkswagen’s best-selling vehicle to date – the Golf. Our newly developed, cost-effective 48-V mild hybrid will pave the way for introducing this type of technology to the mainstream”.
      Volkswagen will combine the combustion engine with a 48-V belt-integrated starter generator and a 48-V battery. This sustainable combination represents the gateway to the future of Volkswagen hybrid models. The 48-V mild hybrid makes it possible to “coast” with the combustion engine completely switched off, thereby saving up to 0.3 litres of fuel over 100 kilometres. Moreover, this mild-hybrid solution offers much improved dynamics and convenience as a result of providing an electric boost upon start-up.
      The science behind 48-V technology
      48-V technology represents a new chapter in engine design, enabling drives to be electrified in a cost-efficient manner. The 48-V system will be used in vehicles in addition to the well-known 12-V system. In the case of very small wire cross-sections and a lightweight wiring harness, the 48-V system enables a considerably higher amount of energy to be saved than the 12-V system, e.g. via recuperation when the vehicle brakes. This high level of voltage enables a number of operations, including the actuation of the 48-V belt-integrated starter generator.
      The starter-generator is a true all-rounder. On the one hand, the generator performs the role of alternator and starter. At the same time, it functions as a small, lightweight electric motor that immediately increases drive torque upon start-up by means of an electric boost. The power of the generator is transferred via a belt. The generator also starts the combustion engine – which is switched off as much as possible while the vehicle is moving – in a barely perceptible way. Another versatile element is the 48-V lithium-ion battery. The battery is supplied with energy during a number of operations, including recuperation – i.e. when the vehicle slows down. The starter generator receives the necessary voltage via the battery and the 12-V power supply receives the required voltage via the “DC/DC converter”.
      Welsch continues: “The basic interaction of different energy sources – electricity, petrol, diesel and natural gas – represents a paradigm shift at Volkswagen. For the first time, the company will simultaneously offer product lines such as the Golf with conventional, electrically assisted drives as well as product lines such as the I.D. with purely electrical drives in the future”. This will result in the product lines diverging into two branches which are nevertheless equal. This new product strategy will come into play for the first time from 2019 onwards with the launch of the next generation of the Golf and the first I.D. – two compact Volkswagen vehicles with completely separate technical concepts as well as clearly different design make-ups. With these two product lines, Volkswagen is seizing the opportunity to democratise the electrification of vehicles.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Volkswagen has made their plans clear of introducing a number of full electric vehicles beginning with the I.D. next year. But the company is also planning to electrify a number of models beginning with the next-generation Golf.
      This week at the International Vienna Motor Symposium, Volkswagen unveiled a 48-volt mild hybrid system currently under development for the Mk. 8 Golf. The system is comprised of a 48-volt belt-integrated starter generator and a 48-volt battery. This will allow for an enhanced stop-start system, brake regeneration, and engine-off coasting. Volkswagen made specific mention of the last feature as it would save 0.3 liters of gas over 100 kilometers - not a lot, but every little bit helps.
      “Electrifying conventional drives will enable us to further reduce consumption and emissions while also increasing dynamics and convenience. We are starting this extensive electrification campaign with Volkswagen’s best-selling vehicle to date – the Golf. Our newly developed, cost-effective 48-V mild hybrid will pave the way for introducing this type of technology to the mainstream,” said Volkswagen's Member of the Board of Management for VW Passenger Cars, Dr. Frank Welsch.
      It is expected that Volkswagen will reveal the Mk.8 Golf sometime next year.
      Source: Volkswagen

Volkswagen to offer electrified versions of its models
      Extensive hybrid programme for the next Golf is the starting point for the comprehensive electrification of conventional drives New 48-V mild hybrid is the first step into the world of efficient electrified models 48-V starter generator is a versatile all-rounder Volkswagen is to launch an electric version of its globally best-selling vehicle – the Volkswagen Golf, offering a sustainable, efficient and powerful alternative. The introduction of innovative, new hybrid systems in the eighth generation of Golf vehicles marks a new era for the brand with regard to drive technology. In the future, Volkswagen will gradually electrify almost every vehicle in its range of models. The company is offering a first look at the future of electrified drive systems as part of the International Vienna Motor Symposium – one of the world’s most important congresses on the automotive technology of today and the future.
      “Electrifying conventional drives will enable us to further reduce consumption and emissions while also increasing dynamics and convenience”, says Dr Frank Welsch, Member of the Board of Management for Volkswagen Passenger Cars with responsibility for Technical Development. Welsch continues: “We are starting this extensive electrification campaign with Volkswagen’s best-selling vehicle to date – the Golf. Our newly developed, cost-effective 48-V mild hybrid will pave the way for introducing this type of technology to the mainstream”.
      Volkswagen will combine the combustion engine with a 48-V belt-integrated starter generator and a 48-V battery. This sustainable combination represents the gateway to the future of Volkswagen hybrid models. The 48-V mild hybrid makes it possible to “coast” with the combustion engine completely switched off, thereby saving up to 0.3 litres of fuel over 100 kilometres. Moreover, this mild-hybrid solution offers much improved dynamics and convenience as a result of providing an electric boost upon start-up.
      The science behind 48-V technology
      48-V technology represents a new chapter in engine design, enabling drives to be electrified in a cost-efficient manner. The 48-V system will be used in vehicles in addition to the well-known 12-V system. In the case of very small wire cross-sections and a lightweight wiring harness, the 48-V system enables a considerably higher amount of energy to be saved than the 12-V system, e.g. via recuperation when the vehicle brakes. This high level of voltage enables a number of operations, including the actuation of the 48-V belt-integrated starter generator.
      The starter-generator is a true all-rounder. On the one hand, the generator performs the role of alternator and starter. At the same time, it functions as a small, lightweight electric motor that immediately increases drive torque upon start-up by means of an electric boost. The power of the generator is transferred via a belt. The generator also starts the combustion engine – which is switched off as much as possible while the vehicle is moving – in a barely perceptible way. Another versatile element is the 48-V lithium-ion battery. The battery is supplied with energy during a number of operations, including recuperation – i.e. when the vehicle slows down. The starter generator receives the necessary voltage via the battery and the 12-V power supply receives the required voltage via the “DC/DC converter”.
      Welsch continues: “The basic interaction of different energy sources – electricity, petrol, diesel and natural gas – represents a paradigm shift at Volkswagen. For the first time, the company will simultaneously offer product lines such as the Golf with conventional, electrically assisted drives as well as product lines such as the I.D. with purely electrical drives in the future”. This will result in the product lines diverging into two branches which are nevertheless equal. This new product strategy will come into play for the first time from 2019 onwards with the launch of the next generation of the Golf and the first I.D. – two compact Volkswagen vehicles with completely separate technical concepts as well as clearly different design make-ups. With these two product lines, Volkswagen is seizing the opportunity to democratise the electrification of vehicles.
    • By William Maley
      The Honda Insight has always been a out-there vehicle. The first-generation model was a two-seat hybrid that offered a manual transmission. It would morph into a Toyota Prius clone for the second-generation. The third-generation model, making its debut this week at the New York Auto Show looks somewhat normal.
      We got our first peek at the Insight's design via a concept at the Detroit Auto Show back in January and not much has changed in the transition to the production model. There is the large front grille, LED headlights, and coupe-like roofline. Step inside and conventional look continues. The dash is lifted from Civic with an 8-inch touchscreen (and actual volume knob). 
      Power will come from Honda’s third generation two-motor hybrid powertrain system. This is comprised of a 1.5L Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder, a pair of electric motors, and a 60-cell Lithium-ion battery pack. Total output stands at 151 horsepower and 197 pound-feet of torque. Honda estimates the Insight will return 55 mpg in the city.
      In terms of safety, all Insights will come with a backup camera, adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, collision mitigation braking, lane departure warning, lane keep assist, and traffic sign recognition. The EX and Touring will add Honda's LaneWatch system.
      The 2019 Honda Insight will be built at the company's Greensburg, Indiana plant - home to Civic and CR-V. Sales are expected to begin this summer.
      Source: Honda
      Press Release is on Page 2

All-New 2019 Honda Insight Production Model Makes Global Debut at New York International Auto Show
      Mar 26, 2018
      Sleek and sophisticated new Insight hybrid sedan boasts robust acceleration and exceptional driving refinement with competitive fuel efficiency Outstanding 5-passenger comfort with premium feature content, including standard Honda Sensing® and available Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ integration Built in Indiana with the battery unit from Ohio, the all-new Insight reflects Honda's investment in growing electrified vehicle manufacturing capabilities in America NEW YORK – The all-new, production version of the 2019 Insight will make its global production debut on March 28 at the 2018 New York International Auto Show (NYIAS), providing a first look at the latest entry in Honda's expanding lineup of electrified vehicles. The new Insight, launching at Honda dealerships nationally in early summer, joins the Clarity series and just-launched 2018 Accord Hybrid as the fifth new Honda electrified vehicle introduced over the past year.
      As a premium compact sedan, Insight is positioned and priced between Civic and Accord in Honda's passenger car lineup. The Insight is unique in providing universally appealing styling, with the packaging and refinement of a premium compact sedan and fuel efficiency competitive with leading hatchback hybrid models. Powered by the third generation of Honda's innovative and efficient two-motor hybrid system, Insight's 151 net system horsepower combines with a lightweight structure to deliver the best power-to-weight ratio in its class as well as up to 55-mpg in the city1.
      "The Honda Insight shows consumers that the efficiency of a hybrid car doesn't mean sacrificing style, refinement or performance," said Henio Arcangeli, Jr., senior vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "The Insight is another symbol of a new era in the evolution of Honda electrified vehicles, where customers can have everything they want with no compromises."
      Design and Packaging
      The 2019 Honda Insight boasts a sleek sedan design with a low and wide stance highlighted by Honda's signature "flying wing" grille and bold front fascia, low-profile LED headlights and taillights, sharp and dynamic character lines and sweeping coupe-like roofline.  Inside, the new Insight features premium cabin appointments including a soft-touch instrument panel with real stitching, ergonomically sculpted seats, a 7-inch TFT color digital driver's meter, available heated and leather-trimmed seating and an 8-inch Display Audio touchscreen with Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ integration.
      The new Insight's comparatively generous wheelbase (106.3 inches) and exceptional packaging efficiency yields best-in-class rear legroom of 37.4 inches, along with a spacious 15.1 cu.-ft. of trunk space that rivals gasoline versions of midsize cars. The placement of the lithium-ion hybrid battery pack beneath the rear seats allows for a fold-down rear seat (60/40-split on EX and Touring trims) to maximize cargo- and people-hauling flexibility.
      Trims and Features
      The 2019 Honda Insight will be available in three trims – the well-equipped Insight LX and EX and line-topping Insight Touring. Standard features include full LED headlights, LED daytime running lights and taillights, 16-inch alloy wheels, heated side mirrors, a 7-inch TFT digital driver's meter, push-button start, a 6-speaker audio system, Bluetooth®, Pandora® compatibility and a folding rear seat.
      The Insight EX adds Smart Entry, two additional audio speakers, SiriusXM® radio and an 8-inch Display Audio touchscreen with smartphone-like features and functionality, including customizable app tiles and home-screen shortcuts.
      The line-topping Insight Touring adds 17-inch alloy wheels, LED fog lights, rain-sensing wipers, a power moonroof, LED side-mirror turn signals, perforated leather seating, heated front seats with 8-way power adjustment for the driver and 4-way power for the passenger, dual-zone climate control, embedded Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™, Honda HD Digital Traffic, 4G LTE Wi-Fi with mobile hotspot capability and Wi-Fi-enabled over-the-air system updates, next-generation HondaLink® subscription services, a 10-speaker premium audio system, and HomeLink® Remote System.
      Body and Chassis
      The Insight shares its basic platform architecture with the highly-praised 10th-generation Civic. In keeping with its premium compact sedan character, the Insight gets numerous engineering enhancements to further improve ride quality, cabin quietness and efficiency. The body features Honda's Advance Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure. An aluminum hood, unique to Insight, reduces weight, while additional sound insulation in the engine bay, front fenders, front firewall, and front and rear floor further aids cabin quietness.
      The Insight's new chassis is designed to provide a highly refined, confident and composed driving experience. It utilizes a fully-independent suspension system – Macpherson strut front and multi-link rear – with liquid-sealing compliance bushings at both ends (Touring only). Like Civic, the Insight also features variable-ratio dual-pinion electric power steering. Confident and linear braking performance is provided by an electro-servo brake system, which seamlessly combines efficient regenerative braking and mechanical (friction) braking for ultimate stopping performance.
      Advanced New Powertrain
      The all-new Insight is powered by the third generation of Honda's two-motor hybrid system, featuring a highly efficient 1.5-liter Atkinson cycle engine, a powerful electric propulsion motor, and lithium-ion battery pack. Total system output is 151 horsepower and 197 lb.-ft. of electric motor torque. Under most conditions, the Insight operates as a series hybrid, in which the gasoline engine, connected to the generator motor, produces electricity that is supplied to either the electric propulsion motor and/or the 60-cell lithium-ion battery pack.
      The Insight features three selectable driving modes – NORMAL, ECON, and SPORT – allowing drivers to customize their experience by maximizing efficiency or driving performance. Additionally, all Insights have steering wheel-mounted deceleration selectors to choose among three levels of regenerative braking performance, depending on driving conditions. In normal mode, the Insight is capable of all-electric driving for short distances of roughly a mile. Unlike competing systems, Honda's two-motor hybrid technology works without the need for a conventional automatic transmission, with the electric propulsion motor directly powering the drive axles. During higher speed operation a lock-up clutch connects the engine to the drive axles to provide the most efficient operation during highway and freeway driving.
      Advanced Safety Technology
      The 2019 Honda Insight will include the Honda Sensing® suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies as standard equipment, which includes Forward Collison Warning (FCW), Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™), Lane Departure Warning, Lane Keeping Assistance System, Road Departure Mitigation, Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow and Traffic Sign Recognition. Insight EX and Touring trims will also come equipped with Honda LaneWatch™, and all trims will have a multi-angle rearview camera. The Insight targets top collision safety ratings, including an NCAP 5-star Overall Vehicle Score and IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK with a "Good" rating in all crash test modes and a "Superior" rating for front crash protection.
      Manufacturing
      The Insight will be manufactured alongside the Civic and CR-V at Honda's plant in Greensburg, Indiana2. The hybrid battery unit will be assembled at the company's Marysville Auto Plant in Ohio, with the 1.5-liter Atkinson cycle engine manufactured by Honda's Anna, Ohio engine plant, which also produces the engine for the Ohio-made 2018 Accord Hybrid.

View full article
  • My Clubs