Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Let's Make a Deal: Cadillac CT6 Will Start At $54k

^ agreed. I feel like it is definitely the best bang for your dollar at $55,500.

I said this over at MT too when I saw a similar thread.. "I'm now curious what a base model will look like. Usually smaller, uglier wheels and things of the like so as good as it looks all dressed up I'm curious what a lesser trimmed CT6 will look like."

Oh I don't think it will ever look "bad". I'm just curous because we are always showcased the top trims(for obvious reasons) so I want to see what that base 2.0T looks like.

Very good question.  I have a good friend who works at Cadillac PR. I've emailed him and asked him if any pictures of the base CT6 exist yet.  I'll let you know what he says.

Oh I don't think it will ever look "bad". I'm just curous because we are always showcased the top trims(for obvious reasons) so I want to see what that base 2.0T looks like.

Very good question.  I have a good friend who works at Cadillac PR. I've emailed him and asked him if any pictures of the base CT6 exist yet.  I'll let you know what he says.

That would be awesome!

I always wonder these things because the majority of vehicles on the road aren't "platinums" or "Limiteds" or AMGs or whathave you and some look good stripped down and some don't. I think a lot of "lux" cars today look good down to base trim mostly because nobody puts small wheels on ANYTHING anymore so that gap is relatively filled in every trim.

Edit: Wow, apparently the page/my internet lagged behind and I didn't see your second post till I had already posted this one.

Anyway, Thanks for the find! and that looks great if that is the base trim/wheels.  Good job Cadillac. I think they have themselves a standup triple.

Edited by ccap41

Erm, I don't think either of them are the base wheels, both of those look bigger than 18s to me.  I took those pictures at the reveal event in NY last spring.... I doubt they put 18s on the show cars.

Per Cadillac friend - 18s are standard, 19s and 20s are available a la carte or with other packages. 

I'm actually taken aback by this pricing. 

I would rather make the car more expensive enough that the interior is atleast on par with a Lexus LS. And these standard features make it a great value play. 

But I want more. I want to see what the driving impressions are of multiple sources.

It's about $7k less than the Equus starting point, which comes standard with a V8.

Yeah, but the Equus is a heavy and flabby (read: flexy) chassis with no handling prowess. 

Clearly I haven't driven a CT6 yet, but handling isn't one of those areas GM generally falls down on lately, especially at Cadillac... and with such a lightweight chassis + Magnetic Ride Control + 4-wheel steering, I think the handling on this thing is going to be phenomenal. 

It's about $7k less than the Equus starting point, which comes standard with a V8.

Let's be real here: the Equus is LESS than the sum of its parts. The V8 is inefficient, the car is obese, and it falls all over itself in the turns. There is no engineering prowess behind that vehicle. It's a decade-old execution of luxury in a shiny wrapper.

The svelte CT6 is playing in a different league of design, dynamics, efficiency, and technology. The non-turbo V6 will give up little to the Tau V8, the 3.0T will crush it. However, I will say I'm not sure why the 2.0T is there. It's a value leader trim that simply defies logic. Besides that, the Equus doesn't deserve mention along side this Cadillac.

• Agree 1

No one is denying that this is a phenomenal vehicle. But it has everything to do with things that buyer or driver can't actually see or touch behind the wheel. 

The tepid styling. The inferior interior. The price leader pricing.

Those come in the way of the fantastic engineering that GM brings to the table. Sadly, buyers of large luxo barges are known to care more of the former than the latter.

That doesn't doom the CT6. But it makes it just irrelevant. I'm not really drawn to this vehicle. I want to the see the meat. I want to a CT7/8, something with everything, not a compromise.

No expenses spared, the proper flagship. V8s, Bold styling, (basically the El Miraj), and an interior with the best cow hide and wood trim available, heck buy what Mercedes uses for that part if you have to. 

• Agree 1

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Having sat in, touched, smelled, listened to, caressed, fondled even.....every surface and material I could reach to touch, I can say that the CT6 is world class.  I think they got the interior just right, because my complaint with CTS was always that it was a bit too busy and tried to hard.  The 6 is a tad on the minimalist side, with regards to interior design, which is appropriate for the segment.  But the materials and execution and quality are first rate.  This car is not for 18-25 year olds, so I could care less what anyone in that age group has to say about it. This 6 hits the size sweet spot nicely. And if anyone thinks a nicely loaded up model for $85K is considered value pricing, then see my earlier remark about age.

This 6 will impress.

I don't know if low weight and handling prowess will help sell this car.  Not like buyers of big sedans are looking for that.  They want ride comfort and luxury.  This is partly why the S-class dominates, it has legendary ride quality.

I also don't see why this car, or the Continental for that matter wouldn't start with a 3.0 liter turbo V6.  Ford and GM will sell V8 pick ups for $30,000 but then try to sell a 4 cylinder car for $60,000.  A big Cadillac or Lincoln sedan should have more power than a Silverado or F150.  This is also why I wish CAFE and gas guzzler taxes applied to pick ups the same as they would a sedan, but that is a whole other issue.

Arrgh... I think we need some thread consolidation. We have 3 threads about the CT6, all with very similar topics.

Oh believe me, I'm not plastering my opinion as much as regurgitating what many posters and especially what MT's senior features editor had to say about the CT6 interior. Underwhelming for the intended purpose at best. Requiring the firing of Cadillac's employees that chose the interior material combinations and suppliers at worst.

It's a fine interior. Great, especially for the price. It's already the best amongst the lesser annoyances - the Hyundai and Kia, those already defying expectations. But when will Cadillac square up against its main bogeys? The interior ain't world class, when the world class is the S-Class. 

In terms of infotainment and overall gadgets and gizmos; technology, I'm just going to hand it to Tesla and Mercedes. SuperCruise isn't even here yet. So we have driving dynamics. That matters really only in North America. You won't see anyone crowing how well the car drives in China. It's totally irrelevant.

Will this car resonate with buyers? Absolutely! I think it will meet or exceed expectation. But we're waiting another few years for the real killer. By that time, I suspect the recent S-Class and 7 Series will have been updated. Not that they are insanely hard to beat either. Cadillac just picked apart everyone in the large SUV segment. I don't understand their hesitation here.

Be bold and dare greatly, don't waver needlessly.

I don't know if low weight and handling prowess will help sell this car.  Not like buyers of big sedans are looking for that.  They want ride comfort and luxury.  This is partly why the S-class dominates, it has legendary ride quality.

I also don't see why this car, or the Continental for that matter wouldn't start with a 3.0 liter turbo V6.  Ford and GM will sell V8 pick ups for $30,000 but then try to sell a 4 cylinder car for $60,000.  A big Cadillac or Lincoln sedan should have more power than a Silverado or F150.  This is also why I wish CAFE and gas guzzler taxes applied to pick ups the same as they would a sedan, but that is a whole other issue.

Can't compare cars with trucks, different buyers, different market niches.  I assume the 4cyl version will be for fleet sales or black car/Uber drivers...

For some people, it seems Cadillac will never make them happy no matter what they do.

That's a very heavy handed and a stark insinuation. 

Everyone who has posted reservations has posted elsewhere where they like Cadillac. So I don't think you're going to get anywhere with making a comment like that.

• Agree 1

For some people, it seems Cadillac will never make them happy no matter what they do.

That's very, vey heavy handed and a very stark insinuation. 

Everyone who has posted reservations has posted elsewhere where they like Cadillac. So I don't think you're going to get anywhere with making a comment like that.

Not a stark insinuation at all. It's an observation I have made with several different sites where Cadillac is concerned. 

Again, simply observational and anything assumed to be more than that is just that, an assumption.

The interior ain't world class, when the world class is the S-Class.

E-class "ain't world class" compared to the S-class, either.

But neither the E or the CT6 are going up against the s-class, are they.

Is the CT6 being priced like an E-Class a compliment to Cadillac or detrimental in the luxury realm?

That's the question I'm asking. And the answer is pretty clear.

• Agree 2

I and many others have been saying this for months. I do not know why some people are getting so hung on that point. The CT6 was never meant to be an S-Class competitor and the price reflects that. That is supposed to be reserved for the upcoming CT8. Now if that doesn't measure up to the Benz, then there is a legitimate gripe to be had. Until then, lets wait until this car has been unleashed upon the wild before we crucify it for being something it is clearly not.

So like always you move your field goal lines to meet your self adjusted vision of MB is perfect, they can do no wrong and never have compared to the rest of the world.

Can't compare cars with trucks, different buyers, different market niches.  I assume the 4cyl version will be for fleet sales or black car/Uber drivers...

They sell Silverados to fleets.  I think a 2.0T making 270 hp and 295 lb-ft is adequate for a Silverado.  10 years ago a V8 Silverado was making that much power.  Ford has multiple V6s in the F150, the 3.6 V6 would be a good standard engine in the Tahoe and Yukon, let's see GM up the fuel economy on those to help CAFE, rather than put thirsty V8s in all their trucks and build 1.5 liter  Malibus and 2.0 liter Cadillacs.

It seems that the E-class is getting the same interior the S-class has.  We shall find out in January.

2017-Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-CSP100.jpg

Edited by smk4565

Is the CT6 being priced like an E-Class a compliment to Cadillac or detrimental in the luxury realm?

That's the question I'm asking. And the answer is pretty clear.

CT6 pricing reportedly ends where the s-class starts, which rules out a situation where they directly compete, either by manufacturer intent or consumer perception. THAT'S the answer I see...

What answer do you see?

They sell Silverados to fleets.  I think a 2.0T making 270 hp and 295 lb-ft is adequate for a Silverado.  10 years ago a V8 Silverado was making that much power.  Ford has multiple V6s in the F150, the 3.6 V6 would be a good standard engine in the Tahoe and Yukon, let's see GM up the fuel economy on those to help CAFE, rather than put thirsty V8s in all their trucks and build 1.5 liter  Malibus and 2.0 liter Cadillacs.

Please stop comparing pick up trucks to luxury cars.

• Agree 1

It seems that the E-class is getting the same interior the S-class has.  We shall find out in January.

2017-Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-CSP100.jpg

... and C-Class.

Same sausage, different lengths. 

There are certain people, like SMK, who wouldn't even like Cadillac if it was just an S-Class with the star scraped off and a crest put in its place.   They'd would still find something "wrong" with it... some "Most important thing" that makes the Cadillac inferior even if it is the same car.  SMK's feet get awfully tired from running around moving the goal posts.

• Agree 2

There are certain people, like SMK, who wouldn't even like Cadillac if it was just an S-Class with the star scraped off and a crest put in its place.   They'd would still find something "wrong" with it... some "Most important thing" that makes the Cadillac inferior even if it is the same car.  SMK's feet get awfully tired from running around moving the goal posts.

Exactly. Why he thought anything else in my post, I have no idea and quite frankly, it's not my problem.

I don't think offering a V8 in a full size Cadillac is a big ask. LS460, Equus, K900, Panamera, XJ, 7-series, S-class, etc all offer a V8. And if the CT6 has the lowest weight then great, they'll be lighter and have a V8.

Chevy has 6 models with a V8, Cadillac has 2 and one of those is because it is mechanically a Chevy truck.

• Agree 1

I don't think offering a V8 in a full size Cadillac is a big ask. LS460, Equus, K900, Panamera, XJ, 7-series, S-class, etc all offer a V8. And if the CT6 has the lowest weight then great, they'll be lighter and have a V8.

Chevy has 6 models with a V8, Cadillac has 2 and one of those is because it is mechanically a Chevy truck.

Again, you care more about the how than the results. 

Why is it not embarrassing to Lexus that the 4-cylinder CT6 will be just one tenth of one second slower than the LS460 V8?

Why is it not embarrassing to Kia that the 4-cylinder CT6 will be half a second faster than the K900 V8?

Why is it not embarrassing to Hyundai that the 4-cylinder CT6 will be more than half a second faster than the Equus?

Because you're more worried about the "how" then the results......  Instead of wandering around clutching your pearls saying "why oh why doesn't Cadillac have a V8?"..... you should be asking why all of these V8s are getting spanked by a Cadillac 4-cylinder. Why is Cadillac running a 4-cylinder turbo?  Because they can still beat V8s with it.    We don't have 0-60 times for the 3.0TT, but I fully expect it to outrun your vaunted S550.  

And Johan already said that the Cadillac CT6 is getting a twin-turbo V8, it was verified by another Cadillac rep, and the timeline is in the second or third model year of the car. You KNOW this... you even posted in that thread. So will you shut up about the CT6 V8 already?!  Even Benz doesn't launch all of its cars with all of the planned engines in place at launch. It will be in the 550hp to 600hp range.

And yes, we already know... no matter WHAT V8 Cadillac makes, it will never ever be good enough for you and you'll troll it also. 

• Agree 3

An ATS 2.0T does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, and that is a 3,400 lb car.  I would think the CT6 comes in around 6 seconds when the magazine tests come out.   Regardless, I'd say the CT6 2.0T is more Genesis V8 competitor, which is 5.2 seconds 0-60.  The Equus, K900 and LS460 are slow.   Lexus's V8 is from 2007, that thing is way over due for an enhancement.    And there is more to it than just 0-60 time anyway, there is engine refinement and smoothness.  A V8 is going to be smoother and more refined than a 4-cylinder and a V8 is going to sound better under full throttle than a 4-cylinder, a V8 will have a better exhaust note.  

The same arguments hold true for the Corvette, why isn't a 3.6 turbo V6 in the Corvette, and scrap the V8?  Both would yield the same 0-60 time, but you want V8 noise, V8 exhaust note, that V8 smoothness, and it fits the car, Corvette is know for having a V8.  Cadillac was the pioneer of the V8 back in 1915, a V8 fits their products.

The S550 is also the slow S-class, they do make an S63 that does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds for those that want it.  

• Disagree 1

An ATS 2.0T does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, and that is a 3,400 lb car.  I would think the CT6 comes in around 6 seconds when the magazine tests come out.   Regardless, I'd say the CT6 2.0T is more Genesis V8 competitor, which is 5.2 seconds 0-60.  The Equus, K900 and LS460 are slow.   Lexus's V8 is from 2007, that thing is way over due for an enhancement.    And there is more to it than just 0-60 time anyway, there is engine refinement and smoothness.  A V8 is going to be smoother and more refined than a 4-cylinder and a V8 is going to sound better under full throttle than a 4-cylinder, a V8 will have a better exhaust note.  

The same arguments hold true for the Corvette, why isn't a 3.6 turbo V6 in the Corvette, and scrap the V8?  Both would yield the same 0-60 time, but you want V8 noise, V8 exhaust note, that V8 smoothness, and it fits the car, Corvette is know for having a V8.  Cadillac was the pioneer of the V8 back in 1915, a V8 fits their products.

The S550 is also the slow S-class, they do make an S63 that does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds for those that want it.  

Why are you comparing engine applications in sports cars to engine applications in luxury cars? That is simply a horrible comparison to make.

I have never witnessed anyone moving the bar as much as you do.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Then I will compare luxury car to luxury car.  Cadillac from 1915 up until 2010 used a V8 in the mid to full size cars (Seville, Deville, Eldorado, etc).  Granted by 2010 the 320 hp Northstar was past it's prime, the 290 hp FWD Northstar was way past it's prime, but they never replaced it.  They just left the Northstar to die on the vine, and now we have a 2.0 turbo as the volume Cadillac engine.  Sad.

And I will add that I am not happy Mercedes dropped the E550 sedan either.  You can still get a V8 in the E-class coupe and convertible, it is still in the CLS, but they don't make a V8 E-class sedan right now, unless you go to the AMG model.  The new straight six is coming and with electric turbos should have plenty of power, but I still hope they bring back the E550 sedan.  Thumbs up to Mercedes for using a V8 in the C63, but thumbs down for no E550 sedan.

Edited by smk4565
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Your ATS data is it out of date... it's for the 6-speed. All of the ATS automatics are 8-speed now.  The all-wheel drive CTS with the 8-speed can do 0-60 in 5.7, so the lighter RWD CT6 will get there faster.

And there is more to it than just 0-60 time anyway, there is engine refinement and smoothness.

Someone want to massage SMK's feet after that run to move the goal posts?

For what it's worth, I would really like to see a radical twin-turbo V6 in the Corvette.  I think it would be an interesting twist. 

Another round of goal post moving, you must have Gold status at DSW shoes.....   the S550 is a bi-turbo V8 that in all likelihood will get spanked in a 0-60 by a V6 twin-turbo Cadillac... and not even the biggest twin turbo V6 Cadillac offers.... and then there is the Cadillac CT6 Twin-Turbo V8 coming 

Because you're so "means" focused rather than "ends" focused, you can't even bring yourself to admit that Cadillac can do with 4-cylinders what it takes other companies 8-cylinders to do. 

0-60 time isn't the top priority of the S-class, luxury is first and foremost with that car.  Cadillac chose to promote the CT6 as a driver's car, and not an isolation tank like the S-class is.  If they are going to tout how sporty it is, they shouldn't have a 4-cylinder in there.  The CT6 doesn't even compete with the S-class anyway, the top end CT6 is $10,000 below the cheapest S-class, and most of the public won't even know what a CT6 is, they'll think it is a CTS V6 or CTS long wheelbase or something.

Drew, you have one good point in look at what Cadillac can do with a 4-cylinder.  They could have a sub 6 second 0-60 time.  So imagine how much better the car would be with a 4.0 liter twin turbo V8 making 500 hp.  I'd be fine with the 3.6 V6 standard.  The SRX has a standard V6, but the flagship (for now) has a 4-cylinder?  Doesn't make sense.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Why does Mercedes sell anything that isn't AMG quad turbo V8s? V8s are all the rage in luxury. It isn't like technology isn't cheering it's head into the mix with crazy powered 6s and 4s. I thought it was pretty well established that the 4 will be for A: the Chinese market with very stringent regulations on displacement and B: professional drivers who don't give a crap about the engine as they are paid drivers and the company hiring them is footing the bills for the car and fuel.

Uh oh, I just realized that not every BMW is locked down with a V8 either. Heck even their beloved M3/4 is a turbo 6 now.

Edited by ccap41
  • Agree 1

C&D clarified where this was going. The CT6 seems to be the springboard. The start of which all other products will be based off in the car line. CTS and ATS refreshes happen in just 2 MYs so I think Cadillac will do fine, but will have to tweak and be patient in the mean time. 

the replacements for the ATS and CTS—which will pluck from the CT3, CT4, and CT5 badges—may change in size and positioning to accommodate the new CT6 full-size luxury sedan, as well as the widely rumored front-drive, sub-ATS compact.

C&D

Meaning that the CTS and ATS are dead in name only.. but like the 5series which shares a platform with the BMW 7 Series and is essentially a downsized 7 Series, the CTS will most likely be getting Omega as its bones, and be the same as the 5series in terms of sharing a larger platform. Basically the CT5 or 4 will be a "SWB CT6" still with the same body length as the current CTS, just larger inside via a wider and more space efficient platform called Omega. Keep in mind that allows OMEGA to be shared on the upper end as well (think CT7, 8, 9).. following this philosophy of modulation.. like the RR Ghost and Wraith sharing the 7 Series. PROFIT!!! OK.. I'm not completely suggesting that the CT8 or 9 are definitely Ghost and Wraith competitors.. but in terms of LOGIC, probable pricing, and hierarchy.. where else would they compete?

I'm seeing Cadillac throwing convention by the wayside and having sedans:

CT4 (CTS) going up against 5Series
 CT6 going up against SWB 7Series (Globally) or 740i (here)
 CT7 (Elmiraj)(Coupe/Vert) 8Series (if ever allowed into fruition)
 CT8 (Ciel) going up against LWB 7Series
 CT9 (Wreath) (Coupe) going up against Wraith
CT10 (Crest) going up against Ghost

I thru those names in because it really seems proper that CAdillac lose the "CT" on that level. Those names would be fine internationally as well in translation. They could go back to SERIES 70 and 75 for heritage sake. I of course wish that they SERIES moniker had been used thru-out the line-up instead of CT
Edited by Cmicasa the Great
  • Agree 2

0-60 time isn't the top priority of the S-class, luxury is first and foremost with that car.  Cadillac chose to promote the CT6 as a driver's car, and not an isolation tank like the S-class is.  If they are going to tout how sporty it is, they shouldn't have a 4-cylinder in there.  The CT6 doesn't even compete with the S-class anyway, the top end CT6 is $10,000 below the cheapest S-class, and most of the public won't even know what a CT6 is, they'll think it is a CTS V6 or CTS long wheelbase or something.

Drew, you have one good point in look at what Cadillac can do with a 4-cylinder.  They could have a sub 6 second 0-60 time.  So imagine how much better the car would be with a 4.0 liter twin turbo V8 making 500 hp.  I'd be fine with the 3.6 V6 standard.  The SRX has a standard V6, but the flagship (for now) has a 4-cylinder?  Doesn't make sense.

So you move your goal posts again and use the V8 as a reason to say MB appliances are better yet in so many posts everyone including you have stated that many will not know or care what is under the hood. So if a Turbo 4 banger can give you everything the V8 has with better MPG and Emissions then why bother with V8? If you have been in a Tesla you know that electric can give you the same crazy feel and more than a V8 with better cleaner emissions so this complete V8 needs to be in everything is a false front and holds no water.

• Agree 1

The for-now flagship has a 4-cylinder, V6, V6TT, and plug-in hybrid, with a V8TT coming in the 2nd or 3rd model year... and very likely a diesel. 

And if they need a V-series, the CTS-V engine will drop right in.