Let's Make a Deal: Cadillac CT6 Will Start At $54k

El Kabong

^ agreed. I feel like it is definitely the best bang for your dollar at $55,500.

I said this over at MT too when I saw a similar thread.. "I'm now curious what a base model will look like. Usually smaller, uglier wheels and things of the like so as good as it looks all dressed up I'm curious what a lesser trimmed CT6 will look like."

Oh I don't think it will ever look "bad". I'm just curous because we are always showcased the top trims(for obvious reasons) so I want to see what that base 2.0T looks like.

Very good question.  I have a good friend who works at Cadillac PR. I've emailed him and asked him if any pictures of the base CT6 exist yet.  I'll let you know what he says.

Oh I don't think it will ever look "bad". I'm just curous because we are always showcased the top trims(for obvious reasons) so I want to see what that base 2.0T looks like.

Very good question.  I have a good friend who works at Cadillac PR. I've emailed him and asked him if any pictures of the base CT6 exist yet.  I'll let you know what he says.

That would be awesome!

I always wonder these things because the majority of vehicles on the road aren't "platinums" or "Limiteds" or AMGs or whathave you and some look good stripped down and some don't. I think a lot of "lux" cars today look good down to base trim mostly because nobody puts small wheels on ANYTHING anymore so that gap is relatively filled in every trim.

Edit: Wow, apparently the page/my internet lagged behind and I didn't see your second post till I had already posted this one.

Anyway, Thanks for the find! and that looks great if that is the base trim/wheels.  Good job Cadillac. I think they have themselves a standup triple.

Edited by ccap41

Erm, I don't think either of them are the base wheels, both of those look bigger than 18s to me.  I took those pictures at the reveal event in NY last spring.... I doubt they put 18s on the show cars.

Per Cadillac friend - 18s are standard, 19s and 20s are available a la carte or with other packages. 

I'm actually taken aback by this pricing. 

I would rather make the car more expensive enough that the interior is atleast on par with a Lexus LS. And these standard features make it a great value play. 

But I want more. I want to see what the driving impressions are of multiple sources.

It's about $7k less than the Equus starting point, which comes standard with a V8.

Yeah, but the Equus is a heavy and flabby (read: flexy) chassis with no handling prowess. 

Clearly I haven't driven a CT6 yet, but handling isn't one of those areas GM generally falls down on lately, especially at Cadillac... and with such a lightweight chassis + Magnetic Ride Control + 4-wheel steering, I think the handling on this thing is going to be phenomenal. 

It's about $7k less than the Equus starting point, which comes standard with a V8.

Let's be real here: the Equus is LESS than the sum of its parts. The V8 is inefficient, the car is obese, and it falls all over itself in the turns. There is no engineering prowess behind that vehicle. It's a decade-old execution of luxury in a shiny wrapper.

The svelte CT6 is playing in a different league of design, dynamics, efficiency, and technology. The non-turbo V6 will give up little to the Tau V8, the 3.0T will crush it. However, I will say I'm not sure why the 2.0T is there. It's a value leader trim that simply defies logic. Besides that, the Equus doesn't deserve mention along side this Cadillac.

• Upvote 1

No one is denying that this is a phenomenal vehicle. But it has everything to do with things that buyer or driver can't actually see or touch behind the wheel. 

The tepid styling. The inferior interior. The price leader pricing.

Those come in the way of the fantastic engineering that GM brings to the table. Sadly, buyers of large luxo barges are known to care more of the former than the latter.

That doesn't doom the CT6. But it makes it just irrelevant. I'm not really drawn to this vehicle. I want to the see the meat. I want to a CT7/8, something with everything, not a compromise.

No expenses spared, the proper flagship. V8s, Bold styling, (basically the El Miraj), and an interior with the best cow hide and wood trim available, heck buy what Mercedes uses for that part if you have to. 

• Upvote 1

Having sat in, touched, smelled, listened to, caressed, fondled even.....every surface and material I could reach to touch, I can say that the CT6 is world class.  I think they got the interior just right, because my complaint with CTS was always that it was a bit too busy and tried to hard.  The 6 is a tad on the minimalist side, with regards to interior design, which is appropriate for the segment.  But the materials and execution and quality are first rate.  This car is not for 18-25 year olds, so I could care less what anyone in that age group has to say about it. This 6 hits the size sweet spot nicely. And if anyone thinks a nicely loaded up model for $85K is considered value pricing, then see my earlier remark about age.

This 6 will impress.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if low weight and handling prowess will help sell this car.  Not like buyers of big sedans are looking for that.  They want ride comfort and luxury.  This is partly why the S-class dominates, it has legendary ride quality.

I also don't see why this car, or the Continental for that matter wouldn't start with a 3.0 liter turbo V6.  Ford and GM will sell V8 pick ups for $30,000 but then try to sell a 4 cylinder car for $60,000.  A big Cadillac or Lincoln sedan should have more power than a Silverado or F150.  This is also why I wish CAFE and gas guzzler taxes applied to pick ups the same as they would a sedan, but that is a whole other issue.

Arrgh... I think we need some thread consolidation. We have 3 threads about the CT6, all with very similar topics.

Oh believe me, I'm not plastering my opinion as much as regurgitating what many posters and especially what MT's senior features editor had to say about the CT6 interior. Underwhelming for the intended purpose at best. Requiring the firing of Cadillac's employees that chose the interior material combinations and suppliers at worst.

It's a fine interior. Great, especially for the price. It's already the best amongst the lesser annoyances - the Hyundai and Kia, those already defying expectations. But when will Cadillac square up against its main bogeys? The interior ain't world class, when the world class is the S-Class. 

In terms of infotainment and overall gadgets and gizmos; technology, I'm just going to hand it to Tesla and Mercedes. SuperCruise isn't even here yet. So we have driving dynamics. That matters really only in North America. You won't see anyone crowing how well the car drives in China. It's totally irrelevant.

Will this car resonate with buyers? Absolutely! I think it will meet or exceed expectation. But we're waiting another few years for the real killer. By that time, I suspect the recent S-Class and 7 Series will have been updated. Not that they are insanely hard to beat either. Cadillac just picked apart everyone in the large SUV segment. I don't understand their hesitation here.

Be bold and dare greatly, don't waver needlessly.

I don't know if low weight and handling prowess will help sell this car.  Not like buyers of big sedans are looking for that.  They want ride comfort and luxury.  This is partly why the S-class dominates, it has legendary ride quality.

I also don't see why this car, or the Continental for that matter wouldn't start with a 3.0 liter turbo V6.  Ford and GM will sell V8 pick ups for $30,000 but then try to sell a 4 cylinder car for $60,000.  A big Cadillac or Lincoln sedan should have more power than a Silverado or F150.  This is also why I wish CAFE and gas guzzler taxes applied to pick ups the same as they would a sedan, but that is a whole other issue.

Can't compare cars with trucks, different buyers, different market niches.  I assume the 4cyl version will be for fleet sales or black car/Uber drivers...