Chevy Bolt Revealed: MT

El Kabong

That C-pillar is the only area that irks me a little bit.  The concept used the derivative, ubiquitous triangular quarter glass that is on seemingly EVERY CUV out there, where the production version has the MINI (coupe)/Datsun "floating roof".  Overall though, I think it's pretty handsome in a class of complete duds.

The upswept C-pillar on the concept was already done to death.

But they replaced it with something even worse:

The dreaded floating roof. Actually, it's not that either look bad.

But I find it extremely unconvincing that this is special among all the dopey looking economy-minded automobiles used to extract the very last of the juice that powers them. Whether it be gas or a flow of electrons, it's just another shapeless blob.

Right now the technology just isn't to the capability where design is very flexible, where you can have 200 mile range and a succulent exterior for that price

It is what it is, and it isn't anything more.

The selling point is the tech, not the styling. It's a box that runs on electrons. Even the Tesla is a hatchback. If you want a truly good-looking car with electric motors then you're stuck with a used Fisker or an ELR.

That's exactly what I mean. Styling doesn't matter. 

The only thing to gush over how is long this EV has an advantage in range and price. My guess, not long at all. In fact, irrelevant, because it'll be going against more competitors that have more well-known EVs.

Nissan showed their concept, and they've got a pretty solid EV that's going to launch, probably in a 3-4 month timeframe of this.

In any case, other brands are more well-know for EVs, while Chevy is absolutely known for the Volt. Hopefully that same instant recognition rubs off onto it. 

cars like this should go over well in California.  Tesla will be out of the business before 10 years.  This is GM's toe in the door to crack it open and lead EV's.

speaking of 'floating roofs'  GM already dun that.  So did Ford Probe. and Intrepid

Still love the cutlass BTW, the W body cutlass and Grand Prix were great designs that still look modern

5617875140_08bf553c9b.jpg

gm_electric_ev1.jpg

Edited by regfootball
  • Upvote 1

It appears to be a tall wagon with a mix of Volt and Cruze styling cues. And, of course, that 200 mile battery range. Pretty neat stuff.

More at the link:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/spied-production-chevrolet-bolt-caught-completely-undisguised/

by the way it says in that article, photo by brian williams.....

does that mean he could say

"i was there"

59421161.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looks like an uglier version of the BMW i3.  I don't get why if you have an electric car and don't have the styling limitations of arranging the shape of the car around the engine, do these designers still come up with ugly cars.  The Model S is the only good looking electric car on the market, no wonder none of them sell.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It can definitely be both of them.

But Tesla's entire reason to exist is electric. And they need profits because they ARE burning through cash pretty quickly. To have larger, established automakers introduce serious products into a segment you are going to need sooner or later is an effective power play.

It appears to be a tall wagon with a mix of Volt and Cruze styling cues. And, of course, that 200 mile battery range. Pretty neat stuff.

More at the link:http://www.motortrend.com/news/spied-production-chevrolet-bolt-caught-completely-undisguised/

by the way it says in that article, photo by brian williams.....

does that mean he could say

"i was there"

59421161.jpg

You could. And it would be your allotted daily joke :D

They're burning cash because they're doing quite a few goodwill building activities for customers.

They're giving you way more than just what the purchase price nets, with the free superchargers, and other nicities...some of which they are reneging on in the pursuit of profitability.

The thing is, there are enough people in the world that now aspire to own Teslas.

Make no mistake, Tesla will extract as much money as they can from the Model X. Squeeze the margins.

They're more viable in terms of Electric vehicle sales than anyone else either way. It's not like this vehicle is going to be profitable. It won't be be.

It exists first to fulfill a government mandate, and second to lead the affordable segment, for however many precious days it can. Which aren't a lot by the way.

If Tesla needs to build infrastructure for their cars then it's just another expense they need to factor in. A seven-seater with a coupe profile pretty much advertises its long-haul aspirations. The Bolt is more configured as an urban people-mover, so less need for fast charging.

But between Chevy (and, yes, Nissan) staking out the affordable end and the Gernans making noise up high, Tesla will definitely be feeling the heat.

I think it looks better than the concept. Not too bad looking if a car for a function over form vehicle. I'm quite intrigued to read more on this when the magazines get to drive them some more. I'd actually really like Car and Driver to get one for a year because the winter months with zero-sub zero temperatures are what worry me about full EV cars. What kind of range do you lose when you have to defrost a car and the batteries are at those temps.

• Upvote 1

I think people are really underestimating Tesla's brand recognition and loyalty. No one has yet to renege on the 30,000 Model X vehicles that were pre-ordered.

And the best part about Tesla is that they use conventional battery technology. Their pancake battery uses cells very similar in chemistry and configuration to ones found in consumer electronics. 

Tesla isn't scared of the Germans. They've already got Insane mode to dish out the pain. 

What's great about Tesla, is that they are the only company that has taken on the issue of charging infrastructure head-on. Even if it ups the ante, it's brilliant compared to anything that anyone else has to offer.

They're ahead in vehicle execution, they've got the infrastructure and they are expanding manufacturing capability. There's not much anyone else has done that comes even close to Tesla's effort to date.

• Upvote 1

Their interiors are pretty crap for the price. And their prices are still too high.

The celebrity tree-hugger demographic will only carry them so far. They need to get better at building CARS, as opposed to being an electric car maker. I do think it's possible for them to do it still, but pre-deposits aren't really worth a lot these days (or any days really. See also: Jag XJ220).

All it would take is for Cadillac or Benz to do an electric S-Class or Omega (or an E-Tron Audi for that matter) and Elon would be in a bind.

• Upvote 1