Chrysler News: Marchionne Gives His Merger Plans A Rest, Says Next Deal Could Happen After His Retirement

FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne is giving it a rest when it comes to merger talk. Speaking with Bloomberg, Marchionne says he will focus on growing FCA through 2018. After 2018, Marchionne could retire from the company.

Last year, Marchionne campaigned publicly for a merger of FCA and General Motors. GM's board looked at his proposal in the summer and rejected it. After this, Marchionne backtracked somewhat, saying the merger could generate $30 billion a year in cash.

But now, Marchionne says any chances of a possible GM merge are done.

“I met Mary Barra less than a month ago in Washington. I don’t think I will have another coffee with her. It won’t happen again in the future.”

Of course, the talk of merging with GM must have brought some other companies out of the woodwork? Marchionne explained that he did get proposals, but were deemed not very attractive. He still believes a big merger is possible, but "it will be someone else's duty."

Now with the merger stuff mostly out of his system, Marchionne will focus on finishing the current five-year plan for the company. His overall goal is to increase global deliveries to seven million units a year by 2018. To achieve this, FCA will invest around $52 billion for new products.

Source: Bloomberg

View full article

So the investment will come from raping the american auto lines and investing in the stupid italian lines that are crap to begin with and should not be resurrected.

In regards to the merger, I am sure Mary told him to pound sand and stop the nonsense. GM has no interest in FCA unless they want to sell Jeep. They might buy Jeep only.

So the investment will come from raping the american auto lines and investing in the stupid italian lines that are crap to begin with and should not be resurrected.

In regards to the merger, I am sure Mary told him to pound sand and stop the nonsense. GM has no interest in FCA unless they want to sell Jeep. They might buy Jeep only.

I don't think they would even buy Jeep.  They would be better off giving GMC some unique off-road product.  i honestly don't see GM buying anything anytime soon wince that is part of what got them in their previous issue.  Also, the Hummer project didn't exactly turn out all that great.  The whole idea of a merger was ignorant anyway.  they don't need a merger, they have tech and new platforms they just need to put the product where it is needed (Dodge, Ram, Chrysler, and Jeep) and send Fiat back home.  I do think Alfa has a possibility though and it gives them a high end to offer new tech that can trickle down to the rest (ala Cadillac and Chevy). 

I don't think they would even buy Jeep.  They would be better off giving GMC some unique off-road product.  i honestly don't see GM buying anything anytime soon wince that is part of what got them in their previous issue.  Also, the Hummer project didn't exactly turn out all that great.  The whole idea of a merger was ignorant anyway.  they don't need a merger, they have tech and new platforms they just need to put the product where it is needed (Dodge, Ram, Chrysler, and Jeep) and send Fiat back home.  I do think Alfa has a possibility though and it gives them a high end to offer new tech that can trickle down to the rest (ala Cadillac and Chevy). 

Many of us have always felt HUMMER should have been a special package you could put on your GMC. That is the best thing for GM. 

In regards to buying Jeep, Wish I could do a better job at sarcasm. Sorry, the whole jeep thing was a sarcasm comment on my behalf. :P

Many of us have always felt HUMMER should have been a special package you could put on your GMC. That is the best thing for GM. 

In regards to buying Jeep, Wish I could do a better job at sarcasm. Sorry, the whole jeep thing was a sarcasm comment on my behalf. :P

Gotcha.  Didn't they do a sweet looking 2 door Hummer concept quite a few years ago that would have made a great Wrangler competitor?

Hummer_HX_NY.jpg

There it is!  Update that with GMC styling and modern interior and I don't think they could keep them on the lot.

Gotcha.  Didn't they do a sweet looking 2 door Hummer concept quite a few years ago that would have made a great Wrangler competitor?

Hummer_HX_NY.jpg

There it is!  Update that with GMC styling and modern interior and I don't think they could keep them on the lot.

Yup that would be awesome in a GMC grilled tweak and have both a monochrome and Denali package version.

Just think put that little 2.8L Duramax engine in it and you have a winner winner chicken dinner.

Hummer_HX_NY.jpg

Yup that would be awesome in a GMC grilled tweak and have both a monochrome and Denali package version.

Just think put that little 2.8L Duramax engine in it and you have a winner winner chicken dinner.

Exactly, they could use the Colorado/Canyon platform and give it all the goodies of the ZR2 concept.  Maybe pricey, but I have no doubt they would sell everone they could make.