Buick Cascada...

ccap41

"“Look how much fun Buick can be!” That’s what we imagine some Buick dealers will think at the sight of the new 2016 Buick Cascada, an attractive soft-top convertible that’s soon to brighten showrooms everywhere, or at least in the five states the automaker says make up half of all convertible sales—and to buyers who aren’t especially brand-loyal. The Cascada will serve Buick as another brand perception-breaker, and you won’t find a convertible at AcuraCadillac, or Volvo. At a launch event in Florida, we drove the Buick Cascada with the top down, up, and unfolding at speed to determine whether Audi,BMW, or even Ford should be worried.

Although the new-to-the-U.S. 2016 Buick Envision midsize crossover could become the brand’s best-seller in 2017 or 2018, the 2016 Cascada convertible enters a much lower-volume segment. The car reaches our shores thanks to Opel, General Motors’ European subsidiary, and has already been on sale in Europe for a couple years. Buick sprinkled in a few changes—suspension and steering tweaks, for example—but almost nothing has changed with the design aside from the Buick badges (not yet in color as on the 2017 LaCrosse) and huge 20-inch wheels in two styles. They’re standard equipment on every Cascada, part of an impressive standard-equipment list that helps disguise the fact that the car is closely based on a non-premium European model.

..."

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-buick-cascada-convertible-first-drive-review/

Alright, so what is the deal with this car? 

Why is it a thing? and why does it look 10 years old already? Buick has had some absolutely GORGEOUS cars shown recently and then this thing goes on sale? Look at that interior, it looks like a 10 ear old GM vehicle not a 2016 Buick. The only two pieces that look relatively modern are the wheels and the LCD display on the center stack. 

C1F8DAE7-E3C6-4617-86B1-C10BA87C4AC1_zps

For the most part I agree when people say that Lincoln is more of a Buick competitor than Cadillac..Then this thing came out and it actually looks like a step into pre-bailout GM. 

Maybe I'm being way overcritical of this car but GM makes so many better vehicles and this one is actually frustrating that they are selling it under the Buick name plate. 

10 years old is a pretty vast exaggeration, come on man. That interior is quite a bit nicer than mine, and in 2009 when I bought my Malibu, most agreed it was class leading or close to it. It's a 4-5 year old design, and that's what you're noticing. The Cascada is NOT a new car. It's a terribly late US adoption of a European model.

I don't like the Cascada at all. It's about 500 lbs overweight for what it is so it has terrible fuel economy, it has an underpowered engine given said weight, and it's already long in the tooth. What also bugs me is how lazy the US version is compared to the Euro model, we didn't even get the Buick trademark grille.

Not high on this at all.  It is pathetic compared to the Avista Concept.  Although I read where Buick's boss stated they had NO INTENTION of building the Avenir... and that the new LaCrosse is basically the production version of an Avenir.  How sickening a statement is THAT?

Buick needed something like this, but not something this old.

GM is using up valuable resources to bring to market a vehicle which I think has a dubious business case. Why couldn't they have instead shelved that plan and gotten the Envision here sooner? Okay, maybe the timelines were set in stone, and it cost barely anything to bring the model stateside.

I do not understand why some publications think this is an excellent vehicle if you're looking for exclusivity.

It's just mind boggling to me how this vehicle can ever be played up. It's a nice car after everything set aside, but it's competition is either even older or defunct or it's actually really got the perception of real exclusivity, such as the A3 Cabrio or the TT Cabrio. And they're much more expensive.

In that price range - there's not way I'm going to settle for a 1.6T. I'd rather get a V8 from the two domestic pony cars or get a Miata.

There's other brands in the GM product line that do need variants, but not the soon to be outgoing Verano.

10 years old is a pretty vast exaggeration, come on man. That interior is quite a bit nicer than mine, and in 2009 when I bought my Malibu, most agreed it was class leading or close to it. It's a 4-5 year old design, and that's what you're noticing. The Cascada is NOT a new car. It's a terribly late US adoption of a European model.

I don't like the Cascada at all. It's about 500 lbs overweight for what it is so it has terrible fuel economy, it has an underpowered engine given said weight, and it's already long in the tooth. What also bugs me is how lazy the US version is compared to the Euro model, we didn't even get the Buick trademark grille.

Okay not 10 years but the 08+ Malibus I think look better..are they actually better, I don't know. I only have pictures to judge from. But an '08 Malibu would have been released in '07 so that's 9 years old.. I wasn't really that far off. Even if it was from '08, 8 years. 

It just doesn't look like a 2016 vehicle. It doesn't look like a Buick to me. Buick have been putting out some really good looking cars with some really good looking interiors as of late and then they drop this on us? I hope nobody buys it just in spite of them bringing something as dated(overall package) as it is here. I mean 27mpg for a small, 1.6L, two seater? 4000lbs..? 

Why does it look old? Because basically it's a Buick Verano convertible. The Verano has been out since model year 2012 (on sale in 2011) and is due to be replaced, though I'm getting hints there is going to be a delay there. 

I don't think the Verano looks bad at all though. I think it's still a good looking, modern car. Yes, a little dated as it is now 5 years old. But I just think this looks like an awkward old, like not old enough to be cool, but old enough that it doesn't look 2016 either. 

After looking at it is more I think the grille is what's grinding my gears about the exterior. 

Edited by ccap41

Okay not 10 years but the 08+ Malibus I think look better..are they actually better, I don't know. I only have pictures to judge from. But an '08 Malibu would have been released in '07 so that's 9 years old.. I wasn't really that far off. Even if it was from '08, 8 years. 

It just doesn't look like a 2016 vehicle. It doesn't look like a Buick to me. Buick have been putting out some really good looking cars with some really good looking interiors as of late and then they drop this on us? I hope nobody buys it just in spite of them bringing something as dated(overall package) as it is here. I mean 27mpg for a small, 1.6L, two seater? 4000lbs..? 

Design is, of course, subjective to some extent. The LED interior lighting, infotainment screen, and gauge cluster are all newer and more visually appealing than what was offered in my Malibu. Everything in the Malibu was low tech, albeit well done. All the displays were simple teal-on-black simple low-res LCD screens. I quite like my Malibu because I'd compare it to a movie with the best practical effects just before everything switched to CGI.

Why does it look old? Because basically it's a Buick Verano convertible. The Verano has been out since model year 2012 (on sale in 2011) and is due to be replaced, though I'm getting hints there is going to be a delay there. 

I have to say, I see what ccap is talking about. My issue with it is that just does not look nearly as good as everything else that Buick is getting ready to put out. Within a year, that car will be the new Sebring Convertible, collecting dust in the corner of every Buick lot because it simply does not look as new as the models that will be out within that same year. I do not get this move by GM at all. Get to work on that Avista (and Avenir while you're at it) already and ditch the Buick Sebring.

I have to say, I see what ccap is talking about. My issue with it is that just does not look nearly as good as everything else that Buick is getting ready to put out. Within a year, that car will be the new Sebring Convertible, collecting dust in the corner of every Buick lot because it simply does not look as new as the models that will be out within that same year. I do not get this move by GM at all. Get to work on that Avista (and Avenir while you're at it) already and ditch the Buick Sebring.

I'm glad I'm not the only who who thinks that way. I mean Buick is doing some really awesome things and some high quiality(at least they look the part) vehicles and this just seems like it's coming in from left field. 

• Agree 1

Yes to some this is a dated design, to others it is a conservative design that will appeal to those wanting a convertible in the sun belt. Over all this will sell and make some money before being retired. No lose, but marginal gain I see.

You are not the only one to think this way CCAP.

This was a post from me a while back concerning the Cascada.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/topic/85635-buick-news-2016-buick-cascada-priced-at-33990/?hl=%2Bbuick+%2Bcascada

"Sharp little car...very European in flavour.

Why is it that Im thinking that this car is 20 years too late?

Why is it that Im thinking that this car would have made an excellent Saturn...or even a nice early 2000s Oldsmobile but why is it that dont I like it has a 2016  Buick?

When I heard news of this last year, I was happy for Buick, but fast forward a year later with viewing it with Buick clothes on instead of Opel clothes, and Im in the least bit interested and kinda disappointed in it...

Maybe the Avenir is giving me thoughts of grandeur for Buick and maybe I need to settle down my expectations of Buick...

Or maybe...Buick should start getting with the program a little bit faster with products that make us salivate...this wont make anybody salivate...even the aforementioned ladies between the ages of 40-50. Because even those ladies...they probably salivate thinking about driving around in Bimmers..."

I even got a thumbs up on that post....so somebody approved what I said!

That would be 2 for the price of 1 right there in 1 post!

• Agree 2

It looks old because it is.  I think this car came out in Europe 3-4 years ago, and most of that design is 2010-2011 era Regal/Insignia inspired.   I think price is the biggest problem here.  It is small, and doesn't have much performance, and the interior isn't any better than a Mustang.  Why would people pay $34k base for this?  The Sebring at least was dirt cheap by convertible standards, and probably 50% were sold to rental car companies.   If the Cascada was $27,995 maybe they'd find some budget convertible buyers and get some volume, but I don't see them selling many at $35k, and they'll price Avis out with that price point.

I just don't see the value in the car. Their buyer has to be particularly picky about missing out on RWD, option for a V8, and not just from other automakers, rather across the pond at the Chevy dealer there's a mighty more exclusive coupe convertible than this ever will be.

It's not exactly a beautiful car either.

Kind of a newer G6 convertible of sorts...

I wonder what the five states that have the most convertible sales are..I figure Arizona, California, Florida are 3 of them..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Not high on this at all.  It is pathetic compared to the Avista Concept.  Although I read where Buick's boss stated they had NO INTENTION of building the Avenir... and that the new LaCrosse is basically the production version of an Avenir.  How sickening a statement is THAT?

i must admit, i have changed my tune on the Avista.  It does look good.  But this underscores your point.......no Avenir, no Avista.  New Insignia / Regal spy shots look less than exciting to me anyways.  And Buick wants to sell a 4,000 pound Astra convertible with a 1.6 liter engine.  

Is Buick delivering the metal, probably not.  But show cars are just for show apparently.

I read an article that suggests that what exactly Buick is doing here is purposely bringing this car here to stock the rental fleets with a convertible as advertising for the Buick brand. 'Advertising' that will get you in the showroom to buy an Envision.

From China.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

With Chrysler ditching sedans that are not very old, I imagine the brains at GM are doing the same... following the trend toward ALL CUVs... ALL THE TIME.

So basically, tall FWD/AWD wagon type things are the ONLY WAY to the future?  Stings a little.