Soaring Dodge Caliber Sales

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=115348

Date posted: 05-12-2006

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Ford and General Motors may be shuttering plants, but Chrysler Group is humming along on the strength of the Dodge Caliber and two other upcoming small vehicles, the Jeep Compass and the Jeep Patriot.

The automaker announced on Wednesday it would take the somewhat unusual step of adding a third shift to its Belvidere, Illinois, assembly plant, adding approximately 1,000 new jobs starting in July.

Dodge sold about 11,000 Calibers in April, and the company expects a similar strong showing for the Compass, which goes on sale this summer, followed by the Patriot in the fall.

"We have seen a very positive initial consumer response to the Dodge Caliber, and we anticipate a similar reception for the Jeep Compass and Patriot," said Tom LaSorda, president and CEO of the Chrysler Group.

What this means to you: At least one Detroit automaker proves it can be healthy…as long as it gives buyers what they want. Who knew?

Interesting news...I think the Caliber and it's Jeep siblings are ugly as sin...but then again, bold looks are in and smiley faces are out(Neon)

Edited by Delta Force79

I think the Caliber is very interesting, but I'll not consider one with a CVT, especially after the R/T AWD 2.4L with CVT was panned as being slow. They need a manual transmission, and an engine (light pressure turbo 2.4L?) between the NA 2.4 and SRT-4.

I think the Caliber is very interesting, but I'll not consider one with a CVT, especially after the R/T AWD 2.4L with CVT was panned as being slow.  They need a manual transmission, and an engine (light pressure turbo 2.4L?) between the NA 2.4 and SRT-4.

All have been promised after the rollout of their platform mates...it's my understanding that this platform may also be able to support a V6 down the road, which, at 3000lbs+, it probably needs on some level.

I have seen a few Calibers. The powertrains, at least the top engine, leaves a little to be desired as many reviews have pointed out. Still, it's probably one of the best in the class all-around.

Does anybody know what percentage of the strong sales are retail to real customers and what percentage are fleet sales? Those numbers will paint an accurate picture.

No fleet, other than a few for QC, to my understanding....I can only speak for our Dodge store when I say none are in inventory and the 6 coming in have deposits on each...its considered a 'small SUV' by the masses, at a price thousands cheaper than other co.'s "SUV's"

question is how long will the 3rd shift be on?  its a new vehicle, so these people could be out of work again by x-mas

Remember, Compass & Patriot are coming off the same line...3 shifts until at least next year...the 3rd shift was planned to coincide with Cmpass/Patriot intros, IIRC.

I'm a bit tired of hearing that DCX is doing well vs GM/Ford. They are adding 1000 workers at one plant, but how many will be laid off by the slowing sales of GC and the entire Jeep lineup, Durango, Magnum, Dakota....

Mercedes lost more than ONE BILLION in the first quarter.

I'm a bit tired of hearing that DCX is doing well vs GM/Ford. They are adding 1000 workers at one plant, but how many will be laid off by the slowing sales of GC and the entire Jeep lineup, Durango, Magnum, Dakota....

Mercedes lost more than ONE BILLION in the first quarter.

That was smart Actually, but the company as a whole still made a profit.

Bodo Uebber, DaimlerChrysler's chief financial officer, said DaimlerChrysler posted net income of $363 million or 35 cents per share on revenues of $45.1 billion. That figure was up slightly from the $350 million or 34 cents per share the company earned during the same period in 2005 on sales of $38.3 billion.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/...175.A10345.html

The Durango's refresh, plus MDS and a hybrid will help sales, the Magnum is built on a flexible line, so production can shift to the other LX cars, which are selling very well. The Dakota...meh...in the words of Lutz "There's always the midcycle refresh"

The new Wrangler s coming out soon, and the Compass and Patriot will pick up teh slack of the GC and COmmander.

Yeah, I saw one on Saturday for the first time and I said, "What car is that?!" and then I realized. No interest. Think the fairy needs to try hitting it with her magic wand again.

I finally drove one and went from being skeptical to actually liking it. The one I drove was an SXT model powered by the 2.0L engine and CVT. It's zippy enough for me (3 people on board plus the AC was operating) and I found it quite comfortable once I figured out the "barber chair" action of the driver's seat (last Caliber I drove had the same seat jacking setup too). Interior noise was minimal, even at 70 MPH--much quieter than my '04 Neon. Rear seat room is sort of tight but better than my Neon's--especially leg room, which is actually quite good because the bottom cushion of the rear seat is fairly high off the floor.

It's a reasonably practical vehicle with good space, reasonable performance and a fairly low sticker price. I hope it does well.

Edited by NeonLX