Chevrolet News:2018 Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe Add A Dash of Sport Via the RST Package

Chevrolet has gone a bit crazy with the special editions over the past couple of years with Rally, Redline, and Midnight. Now there is another one in the form of the RST (Rally Sport Truck) for the 2018 Tahoe and Suburban. But this special edition stands out for one reason.

Before we get to that reason, let's dive into what the RST package nets you. There is no sign of chrome trim anywhere on the RST. Instead, Chevrolet is using body-color for the door handles and grille surround, and gloss black for other trim pieces. A set of 22-inch alloy wheels come wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler tires. Optional is a Borla exhaust that adds an additional 10 horsepower and more aggressive engine note, along with a set of 6-piston Brembo brakes.

You have waited long enough for us to reveal the reason what the RST is special and here it is. Chevrolet will be offering a performance package that brings a 6.2L V8 engine with 420 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque. This is coupled to a new ten-speed automatic which can send the Tahoe to 60 mph in 5.7 seconds. GM's highly praised Magnetic Ride Control suspension also comes with this package. The bad news? You can only get this package on the Tahoe.

The RST package will arrive at Chevrolet dealers this fall.

Source: Chevrolet
Press Release is on Page 2

RST SPECIAL EDITION BRINGS STREET LOOK AND POWER TO THE NEW CHEVROLET TAHOE AND SUBURBAN

• Tahoe RST available with 6.2L V-8, 10-speed automatic transmission and Magnetic Ride Control

DETROIT — Today, Chevy introduced a new special edition for the Tahoe and Suburban: the street-performance Rally Sport Truck, or RST. The Tahoe RST will also be available with a new Performance Package that includes a 420-hp, 6.2L V-8 engine; Magnetic Ride Control with performance calibration; and an all-new Hydra-Matic 10L80 10-speed automatic transmission.

“Chevrolet has continually invested in Tahoe and Suburban, developing models with varying combinations of capability, technology and performance to meet the needs of different customers,” said Sandor Piszar, Chevrolet Truck Marketing director.  “The RST is designed for customers who want a street performance look without sacrificing capability or refinement, along with the option of increased performance as well.”

RST will be available on Tahoe and Suburban models in the fall of 2017. Inspired by aftermarket trends, virtually all chrome trim has been eliminated for a street performance appearance. Changes include body-color grille surround and door handles; gloss-black grille and mirror caps; black roof rails, window trim, badging and Chevy bowties. RST also includes exclusive 22-inch wheels wrapped in Bridgestone P285/45R 22 tires.

Available upgrades for Tahoe and Suburban RST include a Borla performance exhaust system that offers a 28 percent improvement in exhaust flow, for a 7-10-horsepower gain at the rear wheels. An available brake package features massive front red Brembo six-piston, fixed aluminum calipers with brake pads clamping on larger-than-stock 410 x 32mm (16.1 inch x 1.3 inch) Duralife rotors coupled with a 84 percent increase in brake pad area and a 42 percent increase in rotor area to increase system thermal capacity. Duralife™ rotors feature a hardened surface to reduce corrosion and provide quieter braking with less vibration.

The Tahoe RST will also be offered with an exclusive Performance Package that includes Magnetic Ride Control with performance calibration, 6.2L V-8 and the new 10L80 10-speed automatic transmission.

This is the first time Tahoe will offer the 6.2L V-8, which delivers an estimated 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque. The engine features three state-of-the-art technologies — direct injection, Active Fuel Management and continuously variable valve timing — to make the most of power, torque and efficiency across a broad range of operating conditions.

The 6.2L V-8 will be paired with an all-new 10-speed automatic transmission. With smaller steps between each ratio, the transmission maximizes engine power under acceleration. With a wide 7.39 overall gear ratio spread and lower numerical top gear ratio, the transmission also improves efficiency by reducing engine revolutions at highway speeds.

Based on preliminary estimates, the Tahoe RST Performance Package will offer a towing capacity of 8,400 pounds and the truck will be cable of 0-60 mph acceleration in less than 6 seconds. Full performance metrics will be announced closer to launch.

Magnetic Ride Control is an active suspension that “reads” the road every millisecond, triggering damping changes in the electronically controlled shock absorbers in as few as 5 milliseconds. As a result, the suspension delivers both improved body-motion control during cornering and a more comfortable ride while cruising. The new performance calibration included in the Tahoe RST Performance Package increases body control for even higher levels of responsiveness and comfort.

“When you want to hustle, it is incredibly fast, with significantly higher levels of acceleration, braking and road-holding grip,” said Eric Stanczak, chief engineer for Chevrolet full-size trucks. “When you want to relax, it is very refined, with exceptional ride comfort and interior quietness.”

View full article

Sweet :metal: Hopefully they are going to do the V edition on the Escalade and maybe some performance edition for the Yukon would be awesome too.

What Im about to post has nothing to do with nothing...its just that I had a vision...a blast from the past.

All these special editions :

"Chevrolet has gone a bit crazy with the special editions over the past couple of years with Rally, Redline, and Midnight. Now there is another one in the form of the RST (Rally Sport Truck) for the 2018 Tahoe and Suburban" 

And with this commercial:

Has got me reminiscing about these late 1970s Camaros: Rallye Sport and Z28 with all their late 1970s graphics and colours! 

Related image

Image result for blue 1978 camaro z28

Ahhhh...the late 1970s...what a colourful time...and baseball season just began...

Image result for 1970s Montreal Expos

*SIGH*

I WANT MY EXPOS BACK!!!

(go Blue Jays go?)

NAH! I STILL CANT CHEER THEM ON!!!

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

No 6.2L on the larger Suburban? That seems a little short sighted. 

Agreed. 6.2 in the Tahoe could add a bit of "sport" fun. A "sport" Suburban is just a bit silly. However the 6.2 in the Suburban makes a lot of sense due to its girth. The larger engine would do a lot for towing and Hauling in something as huge as the Suburban. From a practicality standpoint, it is a bit shortsighted to not put it and the larger vehicle. I don't know, I have not looked into it, is it some option you can check and still have that engine in the Suburban?

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Sweet :metal: Hopefully they are going to do the V edition on the Escalade and maybe some performance edition for the Yukon would be awesome too.

Considering this is using the same engine that is already being employed in the Escalade and Denali.. I doubt it still. Also.. why call it RST? It sounds goffy. I would have just called it SS or maybe RS

There are a number of Escalades around Seattle driven by the seahawks players where the cadillac dealership I go to has put on the Supercharger performance package so in essence building a V-Edition Escalade ESV. These rock with 600+ HP and Torque.

1 minute ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Considering this is using the same engine that is already being employed in the Escalade and Denali.. I doubt it still. Also.. why call it RST? It sounds goffy. I would have just called it SS or maybe RS

True, It should have been an SS.

I am thinking of the 6.2L with supercharger for the Yukon and Escalade. This way we have an Escalade V and a Yukon Typhoon edition?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Scout said:

Agreed. 6.2 in the Tahoe could add a bit of "sport" fun. A "sport" Suburban is just a bit silly. However the 6.2 in the Suburban makes a lot of sense due to its girth. The larger engine would do a lot for towing and Hauling in something as huge as the Suburban. From a practicality standpoint, it is a bit shortsighted to not put it and the larger vehicle. I don't know, I have not looked into it, is it some option you can check and still have that engine in the Suburban?

Nope. Only the 5.3 is available on the Suburban. If you really want the 6.2L, GMC will be glad to sell you a Yukon XL Denali.

1 hour ago, William Maley said:

Nope. Only the 5.3 is available on the Suburban. If you really want the 6.2L, GMC will be glad to sell you a Yukon XL Denali.

That's unfortunate. I don't know why GM (and and other makes) believe certain engine options must come with leather seats. Kind of like wanting a diesel option in the Colorado canyon twins. For those that want that option that's fine, as long as they want leather and everything else that can't be option out for the truck.  I could picture families wanting the space of the Suburban for things like going on vacation with the engine option for taking their travel trailer or boat or toys with them also. The 5.3 is a decent motor but it's already in a very heavy vehicle. Seems like there could be a market for the 6.2 to be an option without getting a Denali.

This is a good thing and easy for them to do with some simple bolt on parts.

This will lead to some add on sales similar to the Denali at GMC.

But we need to be realistic that this will account for 5-9 percent of sales at best.

Many here will say about time but really ask yourself once you see the price will you really be buying one? I would wager if there is one sale here we are doing good.

This is not a police package or a fleet package. But at the high price it will make money even at low volumes and that is key.

I expect now with the ZR2 on the Colorado we will see some kind of package for the next full size truck.

Now that GMC looks to be the luxury division with the Denali line Chevy will become the performance division for the trucks.

Note the woman in charge of the Colorado, Denali and Trailblazer globally was asked if we would see a GMC ZR2 and she said NO! But when asked about a RWD SUV with a ZR2 like package she smiled and said that would be very interesting. That is GM speak that we may have or may be considering such a model. GM people say no when it is a no and avoid a yes and no when it is a possibility.

Ok all you people who cried for a model like this and a Buick wagon. Well GM has given it it to you so buy up. If you do not buy then do not complain if they last a short time.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/04/2018-chevrolet-tahoe-rst-breaches-into-the-performance-suv-segment/#ixzz4dVkyIPL3

7 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Did we not do so much damage to the SS name in the 80's and 90's that it must be used in good measure? 

It was used so much that it became a name with lost equity. 

I have no problem using the name but use it wisely or you will slip and fail again. 

I expect the entire truck line to get a line of performance models across the board. See the beginning of my post.  I would wager the SS name will be saved for an even better SUV or Truck or left to the car lines. 

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

There are a number of Escalades around Seattle driven by the seahawks players where the cadillac dealership I go to has put on the Supercharger performance package so in essence building a V-Edition Escalade ESV. These rock with 600+ HP and Torque.

True, It should have been an SS.

I am thinking of the 6.2L with supercharger for the Yukon and Escalade. This way we have an Escalade V and a Yukon Typhoon edition?

GMC is more focused on the luxury of Denali and not all out performance. Performance is a Chevy thing. 

Cadillac could get some even more interesting things in the future at their price point. 

Make no mistake these are not going to be priced for just anyone to own. They have to make money.