VW News: Spying: This Is the Next Volkswagen Touareg, Not Tiguan

You might think the vehicle caught by a spy photographer is a Volkswagen Tiguan mule. But you would be incorrect. What you're looking at is the next-generation Volkswagen Touareg.

While Volkswagen has been clever with applying camouflage strategic points, the longer length and taller body give away its true identity. Is it expected that the Touareg will be similar in design to the Tiguan. Car and Driver reports the next Touareg will transition to the MLB Evo platform that currently underpins the Audi Q7. Unlike the Q7, the Touareg will cut a few inches out of the wheelbase as it will only come with two rows of seating.

V6 power is expected, though it is unclear whether it will be the 3.6L VR6 found in the Atlas or Audi's 3.0L supercharged V6. An eight-speed automatic and all-wheel drive will come standard. Expect a plug-in hybrid down the road.

Expect to see the Touareg to debut sometime later this year in Europe, followed by the U.S. next year. 

Source: Car and Driver

View full article

13 hours ago, dfelt said:

So bland and ugly! :puke: 

Firstly, you can't accuse a vehicle of being bland and being ugly. If it's bland, there's nothing extreme enough about it to be ugly.

Secondly, you can't even tell what it looks like, it's covered in camo. :rolleyes:

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Firstly, you can't accuse a vehicle of being bland and being ugly. If it's bland, there's nothing extreme enough about it to be ugly.

Secondly, you can't even tell what it looks like, it's covered in camo. :rolleyes:

Yes, Yes I can, as it is bland and bland to me is Ugly! The photo's on the other site is enough to tell to my eyes that it is bland and as such ugly. You can clearly see how they have covered the corners of rear and front lights and side trim but over all very conservative in the style and just a jelly bean shape. I really do not see much of an improvement when they pull off the white tape to reveal the auto. It will sell, but I doubt it will be a run away success.

CameoVWCUV.jpg

16 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It seems odd to go with the Nissan pattern of "Flagship Crossover = 2 rows" and "Mid/Large-size family hauler crossover = 3 rows"

(Murano / Pathfinder)

Why does it seem odd? It's clear separation from the Q7, on which this is based. It's a no brainer. Make it 2-row, instead of three. Start it with a bit less equipment. Don't give it quite as much power. Price it cheaper. Boom, done. Makes sense to me.

39 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It seems odd to go with the Nissan pattern of "Flagship Crossover = 2 rows" and "Mid/Large-size family hauler crossover = 3 rows"

(Murano / Pathfinder)

FCA does it that way also...Grand Cherokee is 2 rows, Durango is 3 rows.     Albeit across 2 different brands, but same dealers..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Looks clean and modern, should do well..some nice details.  Where as the Atlas is a practical family hauler for the US like the Pilot, Explorer, etc, this has more premium and global market aspirations...

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

For the record, this is what it's going to look like-

Volkswagen-T-Prime-Concept-GTE5.jpg

2016-Volkswagen-T-Prime-Concept-GTE-13.j

img_0030.jpg?itok=P92BxV88

Not what I think many people would find offending enough to be ugly, and certainly not a 'jelly bean'.

If they stay this close to the concept. Sadly VW is known to be a bit too conservative so just based on the actual covered up pics, I hold to my feelings on the auto.

9 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Why does it seem odd? It's clear separation from the Q7, on which this is based. It's a no brainer. Make it 2-row, instead of three. Start it with a bit less equipment. Don't give it quite as much power. Price it cheaper. Boom, done. Makes sense to me.

I was speaking of within the same brand.  The Touareg has always been a very premium 2-row, but now the Atlas is coming on the scene as a 3-row, but isn't as premium as the Touareg.   So I'm assuming it will remain the top dog of VW brand crossovers as it is sharing directly with an Audi on MLB, and thus, above Atlas which uses MQB. 

I think its a handsome SUV for what my opinion is worth. (I HATE ALMOST ALL SUVs and I THINK ALMOST ALL SUVs are ugly)

This one is boring as its just a box with the front and back corners rounded off. Yes its conservative in styling making that a very stereotypical SUV design, but it is nicely done. The new  VW fascia and the back lights look 'Audi-esque' giving it a touch of high class elegance which in turn makes it handsome.

The boxy design does give it a stately and authoritative stance which works very well with a larger SUV which adds to the handsomeness!

I like it.

Compared to the new Buick Enclave, I think that both are relatively good looking and if I was buying an SUV in this league, Id have a hard decision picking out a favorite IN THE LOOKS department between the two!!!

11 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I was speaking of within the same brand.  The Touareg has always been a very premium 2-row, but now the Atlas is coming on the scene as a 3-row, but isn't as premium as the Touareg.   So I'm assuming it will remain the top dog of VW brand crossovers as it is sharing directly with an Audi on MLB, and thus, above Atlas which uses MQB. 

The Touareg will definitely continue to reside atop VW's SUV/CUV portfolio. I just don't think it's that strange that it's a 2-row.

Even Audi has the Q8 coming to sit atop their SUV line, and it's a 2-row.