Jump to content
Create New...

Kia News: Don't Expect A High-Performance Stinger Anytime Soon


William Maley

Recommended Posts

Hyundai-Kia's performance head said there is more performance to be unlocked in the Stinger, but it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

“The car technically has more potential no doubt, but at this point there is no plan to do more,” said Albert Biermann to Motoring.

“We have to launch this car and see how it does in the market place. What kind of customers do we get? What would be their next requirement from Kia? I think first we need to establish some sort of customer base of these kinds of cars and then maybe next steps can happen. But we need to do this carefully. Step by step."

In the meantime, Biermann suggested that Kia could do GT variants of existing models - think changes to the exterior, suspension, and powertrain. We know there are GT versions of the Optima and Rio in the cards. Once this happens, Kia might consider hopping up the Stinger.

“At a later stage, when the GT is more established into a stronger sub-label within Kia, then maybe at some point we need a GTR or something,” said Biermann.

“But for now there is nothing going on.”

Source: Motoring


View full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It will already have higher performance for the dollar than most cars in that price class anyway. 

I'm betting they're leaving room for Genesis to use a version.

Thinking you are correct on the Genesis version.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually after doing a bit of research and checking this out, I would have to without any question whatsoever put it above the Fusion Sport and maybe above the 300 as a car I would actually buy.

Would also buy this over the Nissan Maxima from the other thread...

Sheet metal is much more interesting than the Acura TLX SH-AWD also...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It will already have higher performance for the dollar than most cars in that price class anyway. 

I'm betting they're leaving room for Genesis to use a version.

I highly doubt that considering Biermann's comments made last month,
 

Quote

What will not happen is any N version of Genesis models according to Biermann. This is a surprising reversal from last year as Biermann said that Genesis vehicles were in the plans for N in the next five years. No reason was given as to why.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Since Genesis is it's own brand, they probably wouldn't use Hyundai's 'N' sub-brand but their own, maybe 'P' for performance... ;)

 

P and low output Stinger do not sound like a good combination...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It doesn't have to be a high performance brand (AMG, M, V-series) to be higher performance than the Stinger.

Rationally, yes...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

P and low output Stinger do not sound like a good combination...

Just hope they do not make the P Stinger in Yellow! :P 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dfelt said:

Just hope they do not make the P Stinger in Yellow! :P 

There will be a stream of them flowing out of the factory...business will be golden!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem with just doing a more powerful version is the price point. A $50,000 or $60,000 Kia isn't going to sell.  The K900 proves that, the Cadenza is a sales did also.  Their path to success here is Optima level interior with with rear drive and turbo 4 and 6 cylinder engines priced $30-40k.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hyundai and Kia make their bread and butter vehicles with such low expense that adding a low volume high margin product like this is just toying with the market.  Where GM can't support an SS here, Kia is just playing with resources and seeing if they hit a nerve.

The Genesis is a dud though in terms of drive.  I hope this is better.

The pulled Optima styling is a bit of a miss here for me because they had the opportunity to pull Kia into the 2020's here.  Instead, its a warmed over Optima.  Doesn't make it bad, just tired.

I do like the hatch though.  That saves it.  And the interior is in with the theme.

For a lot of people this package makes more sense than a Camaro.  Camaro has no backseat, and not much else plus is claustrophobic.  This ventures off into Teslaville.  This sort of packaging may become more what boomers look for in a sports car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, regfootball said:

Hyundai and Kia make their bread and butter vehicles with such low expense that adding a low volume high margin product like this is just toying with the market.  Where GM can't support an SS here, Kia is just playing with resources and seeing if they hit a nerve.

The Genesis is a dud though in terms of drive.  I hope this is better.

The pulled Optima styling is a bit of a miss here for me because they had the opportunity to pull Kia into the 2020's here.  Instead, its a warmed over Optima.  Doesn't make it bad, just tired.

I do like the hatch though.  That saves it.  And the interior is in with the theme.

For a lot of people this package makes more sense than a Camaro.  Camaro has no backseat, and not much else plus is claustrophobic.  This ventures off into Teslaville.  This sort of packaging may become more what boomers look for in a sports car.

Agree that boomers might like this more in terms of a sports car.  For me...couple of years my youngest will be away at college.  35K would buy a nice used Boxster or Cayman...

Edited by A Horse With No Name
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The problem with just doing a more powerful version is the price point. A $50,000 or $60,000 Kia isn't going to sell.  The K900 proves that, the Cadenza is a sales did also.  Their path to success here is Optima level interior with with rear drive and turbo 4 and 6 cylinder engines priced $30-40k.  

The K900 proves nothing.  As a car, I like it, but it looks too much like an Optima for that price. It also has zero sporting intentions, it rides as soft as an LS460.  The Stinger does not look like an Optima. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The K900 proves nothing.  As a car, I like it, but it looks too much like an Optima for that price. It also has zero sporting intentions, it rides as soft as an LS460.  The Stinger does not look like an Optima. 

Stinger actually looks good, the more I look at it the more I like it...it does have the Kia Family language all over it...and does look a bit like an Optima IMHO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Stinger actually looks good, the more I look at it the more I like it...it does have the Kia Family language all over it...and does look a bit like an Optima IMHO.

Have you seen one in person yet? The long, low hood will let you know this is no camcord competitor.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Have you seen one in person yet? The long, low hood will let you know this is no camcord competitor.

No I have not...but I have checked out quite a few photographs...and I really kind of like it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The K900 proves nothing.  As a car, I like it, but it looks too much like an Optima for that price. It also has zero sporting intentions, it rides as soft as an LS460.  The Stinger does not look like an Optima. 

So if they bring out a V8 Stinger for $65,000 is anyone going to buy it?  Or will they just buy a BMW or Audi instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

So if they bring out a V8 Stinger for $65,000 is anyone going to buy it?  Or will they just buy a BMW or Audi instead.

A question no sane person is asking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search