Kia News: 2018 Kia Rio Begins At $14,795*

William Maley

The 2018 Kia Rio will be arriving at dealers next month and will still be one of the cheapest vehicles in the U.S. The base LX will set you back $14,795 for the sedan and $15,095 for the hatchback - prices include a $895 destination charge. 

The LX fits the definition of being a stripper as you don't get power windows, cruise control, or a center console. You do get steering-wheel audio controls, satellite radio, and a USB port.

Next up is the S which begins at $16,995 (sedan) and $17,295 (hatch). It comes with power windows, cruise control, keyless entry, center console, backup camera, Bluetooth, and an additional USB port.

The EX rounds out the Rio lineup with prices of $19,295 (sedan) and $19,595 (hatchback). Standard equipment includes 15-inch wheels, 7-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and automatic emergency braking.

All Rios come with a 1.6L four-cylinder with 130 horsepower and 116 pound-feet. Transmission choices include a six-speed manual or automatic.

“Value has always been a core tenet for the Kia brand and the all-new Rio sedan and 5-door continue to underscore our commitment to buyers looking for an entry-level vehicle but desire more than what the subcompact segment offers. This fourth-generation Rio makes significant improvements over its predecessor in design, technology and passenger comfort, resulting in an even better value proposition, while raising the bar in the small-car segment,” said Orth Hedrick, vice president of product planning for Kia Motors America.

Source: Kia
Press Release is on Page 2

Kia Motors America Announces 2018 Rio Pricing

• Feature-Rich Subcompact Sedan and Hatchback Provide Tremendous Value Coupled with Outstanding Design
  • All-new Kia Rio has lower starting price than outgoing model, yet offers technology typically not found in the subcompact segment
  • Rio delivers value-conscious consumers an eye-catching European-inspired design, fuel efficiency, innovative technology, everyday convenience and fun-to-drive character

IRVINE, Calif., September 20, 2017 — Kia Motors America (KMA) today announced pricing for the all-new 2018 Rio sedan and 5-door hatchback.  Expected to arrive in Kia retailers beginning early October, the subcompact duo will be offered in three trim levels – LX, S and EX. 

• LX starts at $13,900 (sedan)/ $14,200(5-door)
  • S starts at $16,100 (sedan)/ $16,400 (5-door)
  • EX trim starts at $18,400 (sedan)/ $18,700 (5-door)

“Value has always been a core tenet for the Kia brand and the all-new Rio sedan and 5-door continue to underscore our commitment to buyers looking for an entry-level vehicle but desire more than what the subcompact segment offers,” said Orth Hedrick, vice president of product planning, KMA.  “This fourth-generation Rio makes significant improvements over its predecessor in design, technology and passenger comfort, resulting in an even better value proposition, while raising the bar in the small-car segment.”

Rio offers value-conscious consumers a roster of everyday convenience and technology features coupled with a solid structure.  On the tech front, the Rio offers Bluetooth® hands-free functionality3, a six-speaker stereo with satellite radio and a rear-view camera system4.  Available only on the top-tier EX trim is a seven-inch floating touchscreen interface, UVO3 voice recognition infotainment system and smartphone integration through Android AutoTM and Apple CarPlayTM  as well as Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB)5.  On the safety front, the all-new Rio is targeting the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Top Safety Pick designation and a 5-star rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

View full article

Smart Pricing and it should help them in the market. Wish GM would realize they need to have a proper priced product like this. The Lowest priced Chevy I found on my local lot was a $18,000 Cruze bare bones and that was after all the rebates, plus bonus cash like Military bonus cash, college graduate cash, etc. 

Talk about a BS price since I have never run into someone that can claim every single rebate, bonus cash, etc.

GM just does not understand that they need a $12-$15,000 priced entry auto.

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

Smart Pricing and it should help them in the market. Wish GM would realize they need to have a proper priced product like this. The Lowest priced Chevy I found on my local lot was a $18,000 Cruze bare bones and that was after all the rebates, plus bonus cash like Military bonus cash, college graduate cash, etc. 

Talk about a BS price since I have never run into someone that can claim every single rebate, bonus cash, etc.

http://www.chevrolet.com/cars/spark-city-car

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

Sonic and Spark. 

• Agree 1

Good price and good that at least someone remembers this market, even though it is sort of a small segment.  But there are people that want new and can't afford a $26,000 Cruze or Corolla, or they can, and think it is insane to spend $26k on a Cruze or Corolla, which it is.

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Cool, Thank you for pointing that out, I did not know the Spark got that low in price, I never see the spark in this area much and the few I have seen must have been maxed out as They always seem to be close to 20K.

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Sonic and Spark. 

Totally forgot about them, but then they must just max load them in my area as I have never seen them so cheap as Ocnblu points out.

11 hours ago, dfelt said:

Cool, Thank you for pointing that out, I did not know the Spark got that low in price, I never see the spark in this area much and the few I have seen must have been maxed out as They always seem to be close to 20K.

Totally forgot about them, but then they must just max load them in my area as I have never seen them so cheap as Ocnblu points out.

IN fairness, not many people will opt for a Rio with no power windows. They are using the same formula that Nissan did when the Versa first out and what Mitsubishi did with the Mirage. Put out stripper models at basement prices but good luck actually finding one. May bet is that most Rios you will see were no where near $15K. Notice how fast that price creeps up when you get beyond the LX model.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

IN fairness, not many people will opt for a Rio with no power windows. They are using the same formula that Nissan did when the Versa first out and what Mitsubishi did with the Mirage. Put out stripper models at basement prices but good luck actually finding one. May bet is that most Rios you will see were no where near $15K. Notice how fast that price creeps up when you get beyond the LX model.

So very true and that is probably why I never seen the Chevy cars that low, the dealerships know that no one will buy a stripped down car.

Though I think that is what all kids should start off with to learn and respect what it costs to get a nicely equipped auto. 

• Agree 1

I've been waiting to hear more about these in U.S. fitment for my mom, her lease is over on her '15 Versa Note in February.  Her very favorite car is the Kia Soul, but I am not sure she can swing a new one, even a base Soul with automatic is over $17k now.

I work in the bodyshop business, I am not as savvy on auto finance.  I am not sure if it would be advantageous for her to keep her Versa and roll it over into a loan to purchase (with help from me financially), turn it in at Nissan and lease another Versa Note (in which case at age 73 she would lock herself further into leasing, which I am not sure I support) or turn it in at another dealer and lease something else.  At this point, I guess she'll have to follow the deal and take what she can get for the lowest price.  She has a 10k/yr 37 mo lease on the Versa Note and she only has 9k miles on it as of now, so there will be no problem with mileage overages with regards to residual value.

Edited by ocnblu