regfootball

Oh no, not again, .... 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus

we pick up our gas pacifica later today.  Would love a hybrid absolutely.  But too many early teething issues, no good hybrid incentives, and loss of sto n go.   We'll stick with the gas for now.  Would love the plug in though some day.

This may sound odd, but i have been fortunate to have a lot of nice vehicles in my lifetime, but i am really pumped to actually be getting this particular MINIVAN.  I'm not sulking about not getting a Camaro or a German sports sedan here.  I love the swiss army knife aspect of these things and love all the room and passenger accommodations.

• Upvote 2

I got to say the Pacifica is a handsome minivan.  Great exterior and interior design.  Minivans aren't my thing, but I can see the utility...would be great for shuttling around the dogs and boxes of content. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guess it is just the nature of these beasts that there is not much difference look wise between the 3 versions on the market.

2018-Honda-Odyssey-vs-Chrysler-Pacifica-vs-Toyota-Sienna.jpg

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Guess it is just the nature of these beasts that there is not much difference look wise between the 3 versions on the market.

2018-Honda-Odyssey-vs-Chrysler-Pacifica-vs-Toyota-Sienna.jpg

Same with the most crossovers or for that matter sedans nowdays

31 minutes ago, ykX said:

Same with the most crossovers or for that matter sedans nowdays

Yes, such a sad state of auto design style. :( 

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Yes, such a sad state of auto design style. :( 

Actually out of all the minivans I think Chrysler did the best job.  Pacifica looks very nice IMO.

1 minute ago, ykX said:

Actually out of all the minivans I think Chrysler did the best job.  Pacifica looks very nice IMO.

Agreed, the Honda is the worse, but then their whole current sharp awkward edges is terrible.

Besides those 3, Kia still has the Sedona, and Dodge has the Caravan.. definitely a smaller niche that it once was... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Besides those 3, Kia still has the Sedona, and Dodge has the Caravan.. definitely a smaller niche that it once was... 

Wow, Thought both of those were dead.

15 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Wow, Thought both of those were dead.

I knew the Caravan was hanging on (sold 110k this year, outselling the Pacifica), but didn't realize the Kia was still around.. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

7 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I knew the Caravan was hanging on (sold 110k this year, outselling the Pacifica), but didn't realize the Kia was still around.. 

110,000 is crazy amount and no advertising. WOW.

The Pacifica oozes "well done and luxurious" with styling everywhere, and makes the Odyssey/Sienna feel tinny, flimsy, and clunky in comparison.

This is an example of FCA design done right, through and through. Any other takeaways a few months in now? They definitely feel more than a decade more advanced than the old T&C.

We also just picked on of these up to replace our T&C.  It is so much nicer of a vehicle than the T&C.  A few small details I don't like as much.  They went a little backward on storage with only the lower glovebox and seeming less storage in the center console, even with the IP drawer.  The kids definitely like the seat back mounted screens more, though!

• Upvote 2

On 5/8/2018 at 6:01 PM, 2QuickZ's said:

We also just picked on of these up to replace our T&C.  It is so much nicer of a vehicle than the T&C.  A few small details I don't like as much.  They went a little backward on storage with only the lower glovebox and seeming less storage in the center console, even with the IP drawer.  The kids definitely like the seat back mounted screens more, though!

Congrats!  you get a 2017 or 2018?  

yep, i don't like the less storage and yep, the seat mounted screens my kid loves too.  

pacificaforums.com is a great place for all the minutia of what is going on with those vans.

• Upvote 1

coming up on 6 months by the way.  will put some 6 month thoughts up soon.  

Filled wife's tank tonight and on way back, urban driving.... pulled 37 mpg most of the way and ended up about 34 for that whole 10 mile stretch.  Has no trouble getting 24 mpg average now that weather is nicer and it seems like it is getting broken in.

On 5/10/2018 at 8:55 AM, regfootball said:

Congrats!  you get a 2017 or 2018?  

yep, i don't like the less storage and yep, the seat mounted screens my kid loves too.  

pacificaforums.com is a great place for all the minutia of what is going on with those vans.

2018.  Thanks for the tip!  I'll have to check it out!

Posted (edited)

a couple MPG logs from last weekend, in 90-100 degree heat a lot.

29.5 mpg on about a 250 mile loop. and 29.1 on a 300 or so mile loop.  with family of four and junk on board.

not bad

3544C343-9FA1-4253-A2E4-1CC5687A5A5F.jpeg

648FE7FE-9802-47D4-9D76-C23CCE1C8899.jpeg

Edited by regfootball
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

SIX MONTHS IN REPORT

10,000 miles + on odometer

HIGHS

-sharp styling, especially for a van

-powertrain has nice power and great mpg for this type of vehicle (24-25 urban driving, 25-30 highway).  Even though the Town and Country powertrain was good, this is much better in all aspects.  Even the 9 speed behaves well.

-Michelin Premier all seasons on ours provide good wet and snow traction while the tread is there.

-Doesn't feel porky.  A bit large at times, but for a van it feels more like a sedan.

-Easy to see out of, airy cabin.  Particularly with the big ass moonroof!  We love it!  Large usable mirrors too.

-simple and attractive interior on all counts.  Buttons and controls are nice in design, layout, use and location...and size.

-sto and go, only used a few times but its amazing when you do!

-U Connect screen works great, looks great, no issues.  Sometimes too many menus to go through for some things.

-climate control keeps up nicely, particularly since we have the BAMR.

-kids like the video screens on the seatback.  Like it there instead of up on the ceiling.

-comfortable seats in front and third row.  second row is fine for kids and teens.

-Got used to the rotary gear knob!  So effortless and easy to use, even though a small joystick I still might like more.

-Electronic parking brake switch right next to the shifter is ridiculously convenient as well.

-There is a button to turn off auto stop start!

-Love the gauges.  Lots of screen settings but the main thing is its a crisp display and much better than what i see on lower end GM stuff.

-Cruise control on the T&C was worthless and terrible.  The cruise on this is amazing.  Tap up and tap down is so quick and precise.  (Note I have not even used the distance pacing cruise control yet).

-Surround view camera is amazing!  Especially to point out to the spouse how the vehicle is misparked in the stall before even getting out of the vehicle.. seriously has improved the relationship in terms of confrontations.

-Like on the T&C the auto high beams work great, but even better.  Same thing with rainsense wipers.

-I really thought the foot kick rear hatch was a waste of $$$ initially but honestly we use it a lot and is quite handy.

-AT&T wifi works great now that it was finally available.  

-weather radar and warnings on your vehicle...again, did i need it?  Sure is handy at times.

-Apple CarPlay, which was new for 2018 on the Pacifica, works soooo much better than it does on my Malibu.  Malibu is constant glitches (maybe an update is needed).  It works really smooth so far on the Pac.

-this vehicle chews up mileage effortlessly.

LOWS

-I would like a little improvement in the console design and the amount of storage available in front for cubbies within reach.  Small glovebox is a step back from the two tier glovebox in the T&C.

-If the console redesign could accommodate more and better cupholders and a real usable food tray surface to divvy up the chicken sammiches.

-That 9th gear, it takes pigs flying and planets aligning to engage.

-Interior plastics and design could be nicer and they seem like long term durability may be an issue...particularly on the upper door panels.  The T&C had indestructible interior bits.  the leather sure got way dirty quick and may not be super durable either.

-the volume and gear shifter knobs are so close to each other and not that different in size; I am virtually certain that some drivers out there may be confusing the knobs and I am even suggesting that some folks who have claimed to have the stalling at speed problems may be reaching for and turning the shifter knob or something when they think its the volume knob.

-2017 had -lots- of first year glitches.  Knock on wood we've had nothing but I hope long term there are no issues on our 2018.

-second row seats due their sto n go function are not amazing comfy for adults.

-having to go through 2 or 3 screen on the touch screen to turn heated seats and steering wheel on and off is ridiculous.  They need to add the switches for these on the  main panel.

-also, too many screens to go through for some audio controls.

-there needs to be manual gear control and preferably with paddle shifters.  We had more than a few instances especially on hills in Mt Rushmore area where manual control was really desired!

-auto emergency braking is quite sensitive.  Freaked out my wife, but she needs to back off people's bumpers.  I had to turn off the auto braking for awhile due to the oversensitivity.

-I wish spare tire wasn't extra cost option... because ours doesn't have it.

-no AWD option.  I like the better mpg as a tradeoff of course.  But if they could keep sto n go and add AWD they would really clean house.

SUMMARY

-I gave this thing an A when i reviewed it before i ever got one.  10,000 miles in and I still give it an A and honestly wonder why this isn't what people buy instead of CUV's.  Really is a great family ride.  This is the nicest overall vehicle I think we have ever had.  I can't think of another vehicle right at this time that has been better overall in all the time I've been driving.  Knock on wood let's hope we remain without issues.  Please go drive one if you are looking for a 3 row family hauler or other minivan.

I wish GM had more vehicles this smooth to drive, this truly useful and accommodating, and lacking of flaws in the Barra era.

Edited by regfootball
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, regfootball said:

oh but the Escalade is priced higher.....

LOL ya never said I had to think about price. CPO Escalades are a bargain. :P 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 1 Anonymous, 56 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook