First Impressions: 2020 Lincoln Aviator: Comments

Lush is usually used to describe luxury products like bath towels or face cream, and not typically used for vehicles. However, lush is exactly the word I would use I would use to describe the new 2020 Lincoln Aviator.  Instead of trying to be an all-out sports crossover like most of the European competition, Lincoln keeps true to its Quiet Luxury promise with a coddling and yes lush interior.

While there are hints of the lushness of Lincoln interiors in the Continental, Lincoln really dialed up the luxury lushness for the Navigator and repeated that act on the Aviator.  The seats are supple and highly adjustable. The controls look classy, modern, and retro all at the same time.  The grille of the Black Label editions has extra depth and a new signature blue lighting surrounding the now proud Lincoln emblem.  An air ride system called Air Glide promises to smooth out bumps before the vehicle even hits them.

Lush is another way to describe what the powertrains must feel like. The standard 3.0-liter twin-turbo feels deep and effortless in Lincoln's Continental, but in the Aviator now backed by a 10-speed automatic, it will feel even more effortless. The plug-in hybrid variant with its 600 lb-ft of torque, most of which will be available at a very low RPM, will be even more so.

It wasn't so long ago that people were expecting an obituary for Lincoln while Genesis was the newest up-and-coming brand in the luxury segment.  With this new Aviator, I think Lincoln has raised the bar on the entire segment and now not only Genesis, but Cadillac, BMW, and even Mercedes Benz should sit up and take notice. 

Effortless, Quiet, Comforting, Luxurious.... Lush. That's my opinion of the new 2020 Lincoln Aviator.

Related: 2020 Lincoln Aviator Returns After A 13-Year Absence

View full article

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Will have to check this out when it hits the lots. @Drew Dowdell how do you feel the interior space is for big people like me?

They make a Navigator for people like you... and an MKC for people like @ocnblu

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

They make a Navigator for people like you... and an MKC for people like @ocnblu

https://www.ebay.com/p/Hallmark-Kiddie-Car-Classics-1964-Lincoln-CONTINENTAL-Limited-Edition/24009710327?iid=252549660562&chn=ps

Wrong Lincoln for @ocnblu.  See above.

Image result for Electric lincoln kiddie car

Or this if he wants a Truck....

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I think it looks good from the back and side, although something about the front seems a bit off to me.  It almost reminds me of a Kia. The inside looks nice in pictures, I wonder how the actual materials and build quality are.  I also wonder how it will drive, because I feel like all these Lincolns at the end of the day are a Ford underneath and Fords don't drive very well.

• Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

All new, rwd platform and Lincoln is the first to get it. 

...and this is the positive bushiness case for killing off the Taurus and the Fiesta. I would rather they focus on building exceptional vehicles rather than being everything to everybody.  Lookjing forward to this coming to market.

• Agree 1

On 11/30/2018 at 8:54 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

So then if this is for @ocnblu

See the source image See the source image

Does that make this for you? ;)

See the source image

10 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

...and this is the positive bushiness case for killing off the Taurus and the Fiesta. I would rather they focus on building exceptional vehicles rather than being everything to everybody.  Lookjing forward to this coming to market.

The platform is said to be able to be used to build sedans off of. There was talk about this being the basis for the next Continental.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The platform is said to be able to be used to build sedans off of. There was talk about this being the basis for the next Continental.

I think Sedans will make a come back of sorts. They have had a pretty good near hundred year run...hard to imagine them going the way of the station wagon.

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I think Sedans will make a come back of sorts. They have had a pretty good near hundred year run...hard to imagine them going the way of the station wagon.

I think they'll become a niche luxury product largely the way coupes have gone. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I think they'll become a niche luxury product largely the way coupes have gone. 

Could well be. interesting that America is finally falling in love with hatchbacks, just supersized ones.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Could well be. interesting that America is finally falling in love with hatchbacks, just supersized ones.

Not sure if I'd say 'finally', the SUV/CUV game has been strong for 20 years...

9 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The old SUV game was real SUVs. I don't count the Kicks and Soul as anything but tall hatchbacks.

True, the CUV (FWD car based) trend has really just been the last 10-15 years.  GM still had midsize RWD truck based SUVs a decade ago... 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

FWIW, the Rav4 has been around since 1994, Escape since 2001, Liberty was around in 2002, and CR-V since 1997, 

True...Liberty was the replacement for the XJ Cherokee, though. It was still a RWD/4WD SUV.

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

True...Liberty was the replacement for the XJ Cherokee, though. It was still a RWD/4WD SUV.

Liberty is a little beast in the snow, my friend Dustin has one.

36 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Based on the Photo's and Drews impressions from seeing it, YES, they are getting this right!

Without question. Can't wait to see these on the road and in traffic.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

More than the Nautilus and less than the Navigator? 

Nautilus stars at about $40k.  The Aviator seems to be very well equipped at even the base levels, so $50k sounds about right for a starting price though I won't be surprised if it is higher to even $59k. That would be slightly higher than the $49k the MKT starts at. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

*waits for German comparison*

Nothing they build...or the Asians for that matter....looks this good. Coming from me...that is saying Something!

19 hours ago, smk4565 said:

So what will it cost?

Doesn't matter...from a visual standpoint this owns everything else on the market.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

*waits for German comparison*

I am sure the GLE and X5 are more than up to the task.   Just as the GLS at the end of the life cycle outclasses, out performance and outsells the Navigator.  And the X7 will outsell the Navigator too.

5 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I am sure the GLE and X5 are more than up to the task.   Just as the GLS at the end of the life cycle outclasses, out performance and outsells the Navigator.  And the X7 will outsell the Navigator too.

If the Aviator out sells them then what? 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 9:00 PM, smk4565 said:

Out performs is relative considering there is only one other luxury vehicle the size of the Navigator and it's not a Mercedes. 

5 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Out performs is relative considering there is only one other luxury vehicle the size of the Navigator and it's not a Mercedes. 

Right...people are not buying these to race. Towing a big boat is more like it. 

30 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Right...people are not buying these to race. Towing a big boat is more like it. 

Absolutely! And it isn't like 450hp/500tq(whatever the exact numbers are) in either the 'Slade or 'Gator is a slouch by any stretch. They're still low 14's vehicles.. That's damn quick for vehicles the size of a house. 

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Absolutely! And it isn't like 450hp/500tq(whatever the exact numbers are) in either the 'Slade or 'Gator is a slouch by any stretch. They're still low 14's vehicles.. That's damn quick for vehicles the size of a house. 

Yes, definitely not underpowered.    Powerful, obese, spacious, comfortable, fast.   Sounds like the Aviator should be plenty fast also. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes, definitely not underpowered.    Powerful, obese, spacious, comfortable, fast.   Sounds like the Aviator should be plenty fast also. 

Exactly. And better looking than the competition.

• Like 1

This should have had the the suicide doors...

If I was Lincoln, I wouldnt be spending the engineering costs on a vehicle they are about to kill off, Id be spending the dough on this Aviator and Id demolish the competition with it...

Oh...as a hater of CUVs and SUVs...I LOVE this one!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

This should have had the the suicide doors...

If I was Lincoln, I wouldnt be spending the engineering costs on a vehicle they are about to kill off, Id be spending the dough on this Aviator and Id demolish the competition with it...

Oh...as a hater of CUVs and SUVs...I LOVE this one!!!

You are spot on with the engineering dollars being spent on the Continental. Yes Matrix fans will probably flock to buy one with suicide doors but the public want CUV / SUVs and this with Suicide doors would be superior in selling than the near death Continental.

• Agree 1

The Navigator doesn't feel at all slow.... with the 10-speed you are always in the deep deep powerband. I don't care what the ultimate 0-60 is, it is a terrible measure of performance. 

The Aviator... especially the GT model with all of the electric torque should feel the same. 

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The Navigator doesn't feel at all slow.... with the 10-speed you are always in the deep deep powerband. I don't care what the ultimate 0-60 is, it is a terrible measure of performance. 

The Aviator... especially the GT model with all of the electric torque should feel the same. 

More importantly, both look and feel like a million bucks...color me impressed.

• Agree 2