regfootball

2019 Genesis G70 showroom impression

Damn if it's not a good looking car.  In the flesh.  Sort of an Alfa Romeo / Infinity cross up, but they did a nice job with it (at 43k with LOTS of stuff on it).

Interior was locked but to be honest the inside of it looked surprisingly good as well.  Lots of surface development and good basic layout.  Strangely, the rear seat bottom is very deep, so there will be more leg room back there than meets the eye.  There is some Korea faux German finishes and switchgear in there you can detect through the glass, but still, why is this a nicer interior than in most Cadillacs?

Knowing that anyone with a beating heart and chromosomes can get credit on a Hyundai, they well sell many of them.  In fact, sales dude told me first 12 they got were gone within the month.  And yet Cadillacs can often sit for 12-24 months on the lot sometimes.

I tend to think Motor Trend got a lot of ad revenue for naming this car, car of the year.  MT and C/D seem to be pushing a lot of positive Hyundai and Kia articles lately.  But also at face value, this car as it is has a nice account for itself in the showroom.  I think it shows nicer than a Lexus or Infinity and seems like it could sit in the company of a German car too.

Hyundai evidently can build and market an entry luxe car and people are lining up for one.  Should be telling to see if the new Cadillac CT5 is a market dud when that comes out.

Will be hard to find one of these G70's for a test drive for awhile I am afraid.....

Edited by regfootball

"Market dud"?? Genesis sold just 372 vehicles total (3 different models) in October this year.

Their issue, I believe, starts with the fact that the cars just don't look expensive in person, plus there's the baggage of being a hyundai on top of that. It has no proprietary design. Just looked at the B&P for the g70. The base car really doesn't give you anything; you basically have to go with the 'elite', which bumps the car to $41K. And the color pallet is utterly bland; only a black interior is available with no contrasting colors.
The rebranded lined came out 10 years ago now- they're just not moving the needle. And that doesn't necessarily mean the cars are bad (I don't know either way), but they're unilaterally unwanted.

If it's 'hard to find a test driver' it's more likely hyundai just doesn't bother to build many.

Edited by balthazar

^^^ Plus.. they look like the design reviews that Infiniti and Audi threw out in the garbage and a Hyundai Styling Thief.. (that is a real job at Hyundai) dumpster dove and retrieved. 

And yeah.. what is going on? There sales, thru Nov, are literally down 50% for '18 from '17. The ATS, CTS, and CT6 (thru Oct) all sold a total of almost 3X what the three vehicles ate Genesis did and GM is thinking about axing the 6. 

This is a perfect example- I assume this g70 is all new or something. You'll not read a whisper about 'very low/ dangerously poor' sales performance. Because it's not GM.

• Upvote 1

Problem:  even the G90 looks like a Sonata, except with RWD proportions.

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

This is a perfect example- I assume this g70 is all new or something. You'll not read a whisper about 'very low/ dangerously poor' sales performance. Because it's not GM.

I believe it is shared with the Stinger, fwiw. 

Personally, I think all of the new G's look great. 

One advantage this has over the Germans is the upgraded engine is roughly 5-10k less than the upgraded engine/trim than the Germans.

$43,750 vs

BMW340i $48,950

C43: $53,400 

S4: $50,200

ah, i knew this would get some responses.

i will say this, yes it's still a hyundai.  but it's not as fauxly done as the older Genesis.  This new one looks better, so Hyundai is doing a better job on the presentation.  When i said it looks like an Infinity or Alfa Romeo, i should have said it looks like them but actually comes off looking better than both.  And then there is those fringe low volume marques like Jaguar.... some of the parts of their product look polished and well manufactured, and then there are parts of their assembly that can look imprecise.  The assembly fit quality of the G70 looks improved over the other Genesis and the fit quality over looks like it may be quite good.

at 43 grand for an all wheel drive 250hp, with huge moonroof and some other nice bits, come on, even the BMW's look like cheap shit inside.

It's not original design on the outside either, i get that, but nor is it a huge out there mistake.  A BMW 3 series can look like an econocar when specced at a certain price.  And if that is the case, this Genesis may look better in comparison.

Imagine how foolish Cadillac will look if the new CT5 is complete trash, particularly the interior.  If the Hyundai looks better than the Cadillac then really Cadillac may be on life support.

Edited by regfootball
  • Upvote 1

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

OMG WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE????

Edited by regfootball

^^ I actually like the G70 the best of those 4. For a new vehicle though, the infotainment system is oddly out of date.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Don't forget the IS with it's fearsome predator grille.

usc70lec132a021001.png

Or the A4 and C-class.

2018_audi_a4_angularfront.jpg

images-7.jpeg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, regfootball said:

Imagine how foolish Cadillac will look if the new CT5 is complete trash, particularly the interior.  If the Hyundai looks better than the Cadillac then really Cadillac may be on life support.

This is a fantasy scenario. What recent Cadillac had a "complete trash interior"??

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

it seems you have to get a platinum or V series to get something with better materials (ie anything you'd consider luxury).  Cadillac has never really done great detailing or super precise assembly and gap quality.  But in particular, base and lower trim Cadillacs don't really have anything greatly exceeding low and mid level brands as far as leather and plastics quality, etc.

one example is the plastic seatbacks on the CT6.  that's not even hyundai quality and they trim their interiors with lots of that stuff.

the bar keeps increasing on interiors, interiors has never been anything Cadillac has beaten the competition in, and they seem to be losing ground to more and more competitors

Edited by regfootball

20 hours ago, balthazar said:

"Market dud"?? Genesis sold just 372 vehicles total (3 different models) in October this year.

Their issue, I believe, starts with the fact that the cars just don't look expensive in person, plus there's the baggage of being a hyundai on top of that. It has no proprietary design. Just looked at the B&P for the g70. The base car really doesn't give you anything; you basically have to go with the 'elite', which bumps the car to $41K. And the color pallet is utterly bland; only a black interior is available with no contrasting colors.
The rebranded lined came out 10 years ago now- they're just not moving the needle. And that doesn't necessarily mean the cars are bad (I don't know either way), but they're unilaterally unwanted.

If it's 'hard to find a test driver' it's more likely hyundai just doesn't bother to build many.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/12/genesis-the-brand-that-barely-exists-in-sales-slow-ascent/

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/07/genesis-hits-the-partial-reset-button-as-it-awaits-2019-models/

this explains some of what is going on.  

Edited by regfootball

That Cadillac pic is just a rendering...

The Alfa Romeo beats all of them in one category though.  I do not know how reliable it may be, but Id buy the Guilia Quadrifoglio over the others JUST for the sounds it makes. 

I do think the Infinity has the nicest looks and silhouettes of all of them. 

(Didnt Infinity name their cars "G"...before Johan took over?)

(And now "G" belongs to Genesis?)

(What a strange automotive world we live in today!!!)  

I also just realized that the Alfa Romeo is the only one with a real name.  And I also just realized that Alpha Romeo is rich in historic....alphanumerics. Like every brand mentioned here...with the exception of...CADILLAC. 

Whatever that means. I aint implying anything. Other than...

For Pete's sake Cadiilac, go back to actual names already!!!

Get the outside of the XE, the engine out of the BMW, the interior of the C Class, the tech of the Audi, the sound of the Alfa, the driving dynamics and edge of the Cadillac, the reliability of the Lexus, the spaciousness of the Infiniti and the price of the Hyundai.

I want that car.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ And before that it belonged to Pontiac.

yes, Pontiac had its own G 3 series.  EXCITEMENT

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think I've ever seen the Jaguar XE...pretty obscure.   Of the current compact luxury sedans, I do like the styling of the Alfa---I like the traditional vertical Alfa shield grille shape and the offside license plate.  I like the looks of the Infiniti also.   If were leasing one of these as a daily driver, I'm not sure which one I'd go for..have to test drive a few, they all have their competencies.   The German 3 seem the most popular around here, especially Audis.  I see lots of Audis. 

Edited by Robert Hall

8 hours ago, regfootball said:

yes, Pontiac had its own G 3 series.  EXCITEMENT

Yes; because every auto brand has always hit home runs except GM, correct?
I haven't seen a G3 in a long time, but I do still see GTOs & G8s, and they are always pristine.
I think this qualifies nicely as 'excitement' (something hyundai has never achieved) ~

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 9.28.41 AM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

Get the outside of the XE, the engine out of the BMW, the interior of the C Class, the tech of the Audi, the sound of the Alfa, the driving dynamics and edge of the Cadillac, the reliability of the Lexus, the spaciousness of the Infiniti and the price of the Hyundai.

I want that car.

The only thing I would change is the sound of the C63 because V8. Otherqwise, perfect! 

..I see more G5's and G6's than GTO's or G8's.. 😬