Genesis News: There May Be A Hotter Genesis G70

William Maley

Genesis has been building itself up as a competitor to the likes of the German luxury brands, for much lower prices. But it is still missing a few items, like having some sort of crossover or SUV - something that will be launching in the coming year or so. The brand is lacking a performance variant to take on the likes of BMW's M and Mercedes' AMG. However, a comment made by Hyundai product planner Mike O’Brien hints they're looking into it.

"A big effort with the G70 was thermal management, to make sure that this car will hold u. We're building for the future. I'll just say that," said O'Brien to Road & Track.

Proper thermal management is something essential for new vehicles, but you don't normally hear an automaker talk about it except when it comes to high-performance models. This becomes more intriguing when you take into account that Albert Biermann, now the head of Hyundai's r&d division, worked previously at BMW's M division.

More from Road & Track:

That note about extra cooling capacity in the G70 seems to indicate that Genesis wants to offer something sportier than the standard car, perhaps with racetrack performance in mind. An M3-fighter? That seems ambitious, but then again, so was targeting the 3-Series in the first place. And given how sweetly the current G70 drives, maybe Genesis could just pull it off.

Would such a model be badged as a G70 N? O'Brien told me it's too early to say. Genesis is still figuring out how it wants to brand any eventual performance cars.

The comment about possibly badging it as a N model is also interesting. We have reported previously that Genesis has no plans on doing a N, so it hints that Genesis may come up with its own branding for a performance model.

Source: Road & Track

View full article

The Continental lacks the smoothness of the concept. Those very subtle touches that differentiates a build quality of a true luxury brand versus a mainstream one. The Continental's body gaps look like they belong on a Ford. Not worthy of a Lincoln and certainly not worthy of the Continental badge. 

Continental

Image result for 2018 lincoln continental hood

Fusion

Image result for 2018 Ford Fusion hood

The gaps look tighter on the Continental. Which is a step up on the Ford. As it should be. But on the concept, from Lincoln itself, Lincoln KNOWS how luxury should be, yet did not follow through on the production Continental...

Concept

Image result for lincoln continental concept hood

It makes a BIG visual difference for someone spending huge coin on a luxury car. I think a longer wheelbase would have helped too. 

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Would be nice but not critical.

G70 might be a nice car, I have never been in one, but there just isn't much to make me excited about it.  They are nearing Tesla Model 3 money and one is a Tesla, one is a fancy Hyundai, we know which one people are going to pick.

11 hours ago, smk4565 said:

G70 might be a nice car, I have never been in one, but there just isn't much to make me excited about it.  They are nearing Tesla Model 3 money and one is a Tesla, one is a fancy Hyundai, we know which one people are going to pick.

Of course, the BMW 3-Series 😁

• Haha 2
  • Agree 2

In terms of the front end design inlaid hoods are very good and look much better

That's the unfortunate part of D4 is that they couldn't engineer a different style of hood. I think the Continental project was very low budget as it began but when new leadership came they demanded a better product and convinced Bill Ford and then CEO Fields to spend money on Lincoln. Woodhouse brought a great concept but there was no suitable platform for it. Apparently the concept was built on a Panther....

I just find it odd that the Koreans are doing RWD better that anyone else in a way. They're beating American RWD with luxury appointments. They're beating Japanese RWD by having better targeted and more refinement. They're beating German RWD with far better value. And they're beating Italian RWD with almost or already on par American/Japan reliability with the best warranty in the business.

The only thing that Genesis lacks is options and body styles. And that hurts because top tier luxury buyers want to feel special and different. While people who would otherwise not consider a luxury brand immediately look at Genesis as being almost  or already as credible as Acura, Lexus, even Buick and Lincoln. Then the real savvy defectors from Germans also join in.

• Agree 2

On 1/17/2019 at 8:58 PM, smk4565 said:

I haven't been in the G70, but the Tesla Model 3 is cheap and nasty inside (sat in one a while back)...and generic looking outside.  The G70 seems like it would be a much nicer daily driver.   

Edited by Robert Hall

23 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I haven't been in the G70, but the Tesla Model 3 is cheap and nasty inside (sat in one a while back)...and generic looking outside.  The G70 seems like it would be a much nicer daily driver.   

Might be but Tesla probably sold more Model 3 in December than Genesis sold all year.  Those Genesis cars are like unicorns, you never see them.

28 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Those Genesis cars are like unicorns, you never see them.

Which is a good thing w/ luxury cars.  Sales numbers aren't everything..not talking about Wal-Mart or Toyota. 

Edited by Robert Hall

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Which is a good thing w/ luxury cars.  Sales numbers aren't everything..not talking about Wal-Mart or Toyota. 

Well I don't know how long this brand or its dealers will stay in business selling hundreds of cars a month.  You can't spend hundreds of millions on R&D and tooling to design and manufacture the G70, then sell 500 a month and have it stick around for another generation.    Hyundai has really botched things with this brand launch.

On 1/19/2019 at 10:47 PM, riviera74 said:

That is the question: what does Genesis offer that other luxury marques don't? idk.

not a damn thing that I can tell.

On 1/19/2019 at 10:36 PM, smk4565 said:

Well I don't know how long this brand or its dealers will stay in business selling hundreds of cars a month.  You can't spend hundreds of millions on R&D and tooling to design and manufacture the G70, then sell 500 a month and have it stick around for another generation.    Hyundai has really botched things with this brand launch.

Cadillac, Benz, Lincoln, Acura...the other luxury cars we talk smack about around here...probably crash test more cars than Genesis sells.

The only car Hyundai and Kia have built that is interesting from an enthusiast standpoint is the Stinger.

Hyundais small SUV (Kona?) is not bad looking. They market the Soul well but I am not a fan of the Soul.

Hyundai and Kia are pretty much dead brands to me.

At least with Nissan one has the GTR.