Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Audi News: Audi TT On The Chopping Block

Drew Dowdell

Another car is potentially on the chopping block as consumers continue their push into SUVs and Crossovers.  Bram Schot, CEO of Audi, was asked by Autocar about the future of Audi TT. His words were grim for the lovers of 2-seater sports cars.

“That’s a very good question. I think there’s a future for an [Audi] icon but I don’t know if it’s a TT. My heart bleeds when you ask that question!"

He added: “I’ve got some things cooking which could replace TT, though not necessarily directly.”

Rumor has it that a possible replacement could be a 4-door liftback car, but that it would not be called TT.  As recently as November, Audi was denying the 4-door TT variant, but if it takes a new name, that may leave the company enough wiggle room.

Audi has been reducing complexity in their lineup by reducing the number of variants and engine options. Schot blames part of the reasoning on having to finance electrification saying that Audi cannot afford to electrify and also be in every single segment.  

The potential demise of the TT follows the recent announcement that the Mercedes-Benz SLC will be entering retirement after the next model year. 

The Audi TT just received a facelift and will likely be on sale till at least 2022.

View full article

I am surprised they can make money let alone keep it going with sales figures like this. Anyone know what other auto is built on the same platform that would allow it to have low production cost to keep on selling?

image.png

17 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I am surprised they can make money let alone keep it going with sales figures like this. Anyone know what other auto is built on the same platform that would allow it to have low production cost to keep on selling?

The current TT is on MQB, along with countless other VWAG products.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_MQB_platform

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

Platform may be shared, but that doesn't mean the car makes a profit. I doubt it does with those minuscule sales.
No doubt the TT will get chopped, I think the 8/7 is not far behind... at least the a7.

I don't think the A8 will go away, it is used as the basis for the Bentley.  Also need to look at the vehicle globally. It does better in EU and China than it does here. 

16 minutes ago, Potluck said:

suvs are why we can't have nice things like roadsters anymore.

Disagree, SUV's are not to blame. Consumers tastes are.

Roadsters might be nice to look at but unless they are profitable, hard to justify for the bulk of society to own and use.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't think the A8 will go away, it is used as the basis for the Bentley.  Also need to look at the vehicle globally. It does better in EU and China than it does here. 

Right; but they have to ship it, certify/crash test it, market-comply it, distribute it, stock parts for it, advertise for it.

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Right; but they have to ship it, certify/crash test it, market-comply it, distribute it, stock parts for it, advertise for it.

Agree, me think the profits are Vaporware here in the US at least!

19 hours ago, balthazar said:

Platform may be shared, but that doesn't mean the car makes a profit. I doubt it does with those minuscule sales.
No doubt the TT will get chopped, I think the 8/7 is not far behind... at least the a7.

The A7 and A8 aren't going anywhere. They are actually expanding the range of both models. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 9:01 PM, balthazar said:

They can make each car have a dozen variants under the same model name, but people actually have to BUY them. Feb A8 sales were 242 cars, A7 was 474. 2 'models' = 700 units. Yikes.

Audi is like Buick. Sells better in China. 

44 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Does audi build the A7 / A8s in the US or are they all imported?
There has to be a considerable bottom (money) line when importing vs. building them in the market they are sold in.

They're both built in Germany. I don't think they build them in China yet.