Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Toyota News: Rumorpile: Next Gen Tundra to get Twin-Turbo V6 Hybrid

A rumor has been leaked that the next generation of Toyota Tundra, coming in 2021, would have a twin-turbo V6 combined with an electric motor for its top trim trucks.  The tipster posted to TFLtruck.com saying that the new motor would be based on the existing 3.5-liter turbocharged V6 found in the Lexus LS and LC 500h.  It would have around 450 hp and 500 lb-ft of torque and able to achieve over 30 mpg highway. 

In the Lexi, the engine produces 354 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque and manages 33 mpg highways.  Our suspicion is that Toyota is making up the deficit by filling the bigger Tundra with bigger electric motors and adding an expected 10-speed automatic, up from the current 6-speed.

Currently, the Tundra uses two V8s for its powertrain, a 4.6 liter making 310hp and 327 lb-ft of torque and a 5.7 liter making 381hp and 401 lb-ft of torque. Neither engine gets better than 20 mpg currently. 

The next generation Toyota Tundra will be using an all-new platform dubbed F1 and will likely remain in Texas for production.

View full article

Tundra powertrains were born in the same day as dirt.  They need to do something to to make their truck competitive and this seems like a good first step. 

What makes no sense to me is Toyota can win any spending battle they want with Ford and yet they let the F150 walk all over them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Tundra powertrains were born in the same day as dirt.  They need to do something to to make their truck competitive and this seems like a good first step. 

What makes no sense to me is Toyota can win any spending battle they want with Ford and yet they let the F150 walk all over them.

So their powertrains are the same age as the G-Wagon? 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Truck buyers aren’t interested in tundras, and it really doesn’t matter what they try to change that. It’s uncompetitive in many more areas than just power trains.

Frames for one...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

The G-wagon has 3 parts carried over from the old one, everything else is new for 2018.

First off, it took them thirty years to do the things you mentioned. Second, and most importantly, it’s called a joke even though I would trust the reliability of the Tundra (flaws and all) over an overpriced German Jeep any day. 

There is no reason that Toyota couldn't build a chassis for the Tundra as good as F150 or Silverado's and this engine seems to be better than what anyone has now, and Toyota reliability is solid too.  Toyota doesn't lack money or resources, they just don't seem to care about the Tundra, if they didn't, the 2019 Tundra wouldn't have the same engine as the 2007 Tundra.

22 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

There is no reason that Toyota couldn't build a chassis for the Tundra as good as F150 or Silverado's and this engine seems to be better than what anyone has now, and Toyota reliability is solid too.  Toyota doesn't lack money or resources, they just don't seem to care about the Tundra, if they didn't, the 2019 Tundra wouldn't have the same engine as the 2007 Tundra.

I guess just not enough potential ROI to invest heavily in a product that is a regional novelty in a market dominated by the domestic brands. 

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I guess just not enough potential ROI to invest heavily in a product that is a regional novelty in a market dominated by the domestic brands. 

Without knowing all the details, it sounds like Toyota might actually be taking the market a little more seriously with this new platform plus newer powertrains (way overdue mind you, but I digress). The full size truck market is the last American make stronghold but they should not overlook a company like Toyota and to a lesser extent Nissan. Not saying that it will happen but the market has seen some crazy shifts over the last two decades and the full size truck market could be due for one soon. 

12 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I thought unlike the American brands that dominate the US, Toyota Trucks seem to dominate the Global market, so could this not just be a global platform that will replace trucks everywhere and finally the US will get the same Truck that has dominated the rest of the planet meaning Ford, GM & RAM you have been put on Notice?

🤔

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I thought unlike the American brands that dominate the US, Toyota Trucks seem to dominate the Global market, so could this not just be a global platform that will replace trucks everywhere and finally the US will get the same Truck that has dominated the rest of the planet meaning Ford, GM & RAM you have been put on Notice?

🤔

Yes, with the Hilux...I think the Tundra is just a low volume NA model...the Hilux is smaller than the Tacoma. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes, with the Hilux...I think the Tundra is just a low volume NA model...the Hilux is smaller than the Tacoma. 

Got it, is there no Tundra equal that Toyota sells globally? Did not realize the Hilux was smaller than the Tacoma.

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Got it, is there no Tundra equal that Toyota sells globally? Did not realize the Hilux was smaller than the Tacoma.

I don't think so...Tundra is an NA novelty, I believe.   Outside of a few places like the Middle East and parts of South America, there isn't much market outside NA for 'murican' style Big Gulp sized trucks.

The current Hilux is built in Thailand. 

1920px-2018_Toyota_Hilux_SR5_Double_Cab_2.8-litre_turbo-diesel.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1

I'm still surprised they didn't make a new inline 6 for the Supra that could be shared with the Tacoma, Tundra, Sequoia, Highlander, and 4Runner to amortize the costs.. 

20 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

So their powertrains are the same age as the G-Wagon? 

G-Wagen is brand new!! *triggered*

11 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Without knowing all the details, it sounds like Toyota might actually be taking the market a little more seriously with this new platform plus newer powertrains (way overdue mind you, but I digress). The full size truck market is the last American make stronghold but they should not overlook a company like Toyota and to a lesser extent Nissan. Not saying that it will happen but the market has seen some crazy shifts over the last two decades and the full size truck market could be due for one soon. 

They appeared to take it serious when this current generation first came out as well though... 

Then let it just rot away because it still couldn't touch the sales of the D3. 

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'm still surprised they didn't make a new inline 6 for the Supra that could be shared with the Tacoma, Tundra, Sequoia, Highlander, and 4Runner to amortize the costs.. 

I assume they stick w/ V6s as those can be shared w/ FWD transverse engine models like the Highlander, Avalon, ES, etc..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

We all know you can’t kill a Toyota Hilux, maybe Toyota needs to advertise their durability more.

All it takes to kill any  kind of momentum that is generated by durability ads,  is for somebody to do a political style attack ad.

Related image

Related image

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1