Alternative Fuels & Propulsion RANDOM

Instead of autonomous race cars, I think the future could be remote controlled race cars..drivers sit in simulators and control the cars on track..would be safer for drivers, and likely no different from how it is today since you really can't see much of the driver besides a colorful helmet in the cockpit...

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

But video racing is in addition to actual racing. I’m envisioning full replacement. Autonomously-driven race cars is beyond stupid.

Minority Report had some very cool EV's that could be driven or used in autonomous mode for those that did not care about driving.

image.png

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/27/2020 at 12:40 PM, David said:

The research shows that in the early 2000's under Bill Ford Jr. that Ford started the move away from big engines with high emissions to smaller engines and is in support of CARB as they bring out their Mach e and F-150 EV Truck. GM on the other hand sided with the Trump administration and has since then found themselves hurting in the perception of the public for working for cleaner climate change.

This is erroneous / mis-representative.
GM has been gutting their displacement ("big engines") chart for decades. Chevy truck still had a 7.4L and 8.1L engine in the '90s and '00s- both those are long gone. And there was no Trump administration in the early 2000s ("on the other hand GM...").

Automakers CONSTANTLY reexamine plans, as markets are constantly wiggling. Anyone watching Tesla blow thru tens of billions in a long span of profitless years fraught with production & quality issues was only playing it smart by not immediately jumping on that tiny train. ALL future truck EV makers' success is completely unknown at this point.

• Thanks 2

Seems Car & Driver has stepped off the Helium Hypertrain and breathed in a few lungfuls of critical thinking. Of course, you've read these same points from yer pal Balthy for a few years now, right here. Interesting reading :

Untitled.png

5% after 25 years of family car EVs being available... and some locales are sabre-rattling they're going to mandate 100% in a scant 10 years more?? It is to laugh.
Politicians have little connection to either critical thinking or reality. Mark my words; those mandates WILL fall.

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1

As I have said here, when BEVs start at $15K or less, then the switch will happen.  Buyers are not ready for an EV that costs MORE than a gas-powered car, period.

Here is a challenge for all the automakers who will build an EV: look at the latest prices of a new Corolla or Civic and undersell THOSE CARS.

• Agree 1

I disagree with your price target.
That's not going to happen because viable, attractive vehicles aren't coming out in 2025 or 2030 at a 1990 price level. EVs need to MATCH the equivalent IC vehicle pricing to become a considered alternative. They cannot survive against the status quo at 10 grand (or 30 grand) higher than their competition, they must come down in price. So far, none have.

• Agree 1

I think if EVs (BEVs) with a decent range are available in the $25-45k range---which is where a typical vehicle is today at the heart of the market---and comparable in size and features to a typical Corolla, Camry, Rav4, Highlander, etc---and look like a typical mainstream vehicle---not a tiny potato on wheels-- then they may take off....

The only things available new for $15k are horrid subcompacts for which a 5 yr old used car would be infinitely preferable. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 4

12 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I think if EVs (BEVs) with a decent range are available in the $25-45k range---which is where a typical vehicle is today at the heart of the market---and comparable in size and features to a typical Corolla, Camry, Rav4, Highlander, etc---and look like a typical mainstream vehicle---not a tiny potato on wheels-- then they may take off....

The only things available new for $15k are horrid subcompacts for which a 5 yr old used car would be infinitely preferable. 

Agree completely. 

...in the early 2000's under Bill Ford Jr. that Ford started the move away from big engines with high emissions to smaller engines

Insider rumor (Canadian Ford union) is that Ford is developing a 415 CI (6.8L) pushrod V8 (derived from the Super Duty 7.3L) for an option in the next generation '23 Mustang. Seems interesting.

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 2

On 10/30/2020 at 12:43 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

GM crate package, they do up a vintage GM product with EV power here. 

The more research I have done, the more excited I am by an EV Crate package as this is the most complete system to date that would allow a much easier conversion. I could see doing this to my 1994 GMC SLE suburban. With the Pandemic, I have not done anything other then have it on blocks. 

This package of a electric motor, connector to the transmission, controllers, wiring, etc. would make a great package for converting and enjoying locally my Suburban. Fuel at home and never have to deal with the gas station again for it.

I am thinking that I could see them use their Ultium motor family to offer various power versions of the electric motors with various battery packs depending on what a person wants to spend.

To Quote GM:

this is only the beginning. “Chevrolet Performance is also evaluating additional eCrate packages with higher-performance options and new battery configurations to fit a wider range of aftermarket applications.”

Chevrolet mentioned transitioning to the modular Ultium battery system in the future. In addition to powering the new Hummer EV, Ultium batteries are interesting because they’re more flexible in their arrangement and placement, which would be perfect for restomod project.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Insider rumor (Canadian Ford union) is that Ford is developing a 415 CI (6.8L) pushrod V8 (derived from the Super Duty 7.3L) for an option in the next generation '23 Mustang. Seems interesting.

Just read a couple more auto news stories that seem to confirm a 6.8 L supercharged V8 for a GT500 and all new Ford Raptor. It seems the Raptor with TT V6 are sitting on the lots as people who are spending that kind of money are not interested in a Turbo V6, they want V8.

The deal also will create an additional 300 jobs as Ford will have their battery production for EVs built here being close to Canada's Cobalt mine.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/breaking-unifor-and-ford-reach-tentative-agreement

• Agree 1

Seems since the US is up in the air for EVs due to the craziness of our political current administration, Nissan has moved forward with Europe showing off many Test Mules that are new Production ready to drum up excitement for 2021 sales.

Currently other than the Concept auto they showed off, no test mules have been built that would meet US auto requirements. Nissan is saying at the earliest, 2022 will be when they might have working prototypes testing in the US.

Sad that the Ignorance of DC is holding back awesome technology that is good for the planet and people.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1130151_nissan-teases-potential-of-ariya-electric-crossover-for-europe-as-us-election-nears

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

35 minutes ago, David said:

The more research I have done, the more excited I am by an EV Crate package as this is the most complete system to date that would allow a much easier conversion. I could see doing this to my 1994 GMC SLE suburban. With the Pandemic, I have not done anything other then have it on blocks. 

This package of a electric motor, connector to the transmission, controllers, wiring, etc. would make a great package for converting and enjoying locally my Suburban. Fuel at home and never have to deal with the gas station again for it.

I am thinking that I could see them use their Ultium motor family to offer various power versions of the electric motors with various battery packs depending on what a person wants to spend.

To Quote GM:

this is only the beginning. “Chevrolet Performance is also evaluating additional eCrate packages with higher-performance options and new battery configurations to fit a wider range of aftermarket applications.”

Chevrolet mentioned transitioning to the modular Ultium battery system in the future. In addition to powering the new Hummer EV, Ultium batteries are interesting because they’re more flexible in their arrangement and placement, which would be perfect for restomod project.

Just read a couple more auto news stories that seem to confirm a 6.8 L supercharged V8 for a GT500 and all new Ford Raptor. It seems the Raptor with TT V6 are sitting on the lots as people who are spending that kind of money are not interested in a Turbo V6, they want V8.

The deal also will create an additional 300 jobs as Ford will have their battery production for EVs built here being close to Canada's Cobalt mine.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/breaking-unifor-and-ford-reach-tentative-agreement

I really want to find a 73-87 GM Chevy/GMC square body pickup and do this conversion. Seriously. Need to find a nice clean rust free truck from Texas or oaklahoma or someplace. 

I think it would be killer. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I really want to find a 73-87 GM Chevy/GMC square body pickup and do this conversion. Seriously. Need to find a nice clean rust free truck from Texas or oaklahoma or someplace. 

I think it would be killer. 

Very excited that Connect and Cruise will use the Ultium battery and motors to offer various conversion kits with the controllers and wires.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2020/oct/1029-sema360.html

First Kit out next year:

The 60-kWh Electric Connect and Cruise package, expected to be available in the second half of 2021, includes:

• 60-kWh battery pack
  • 200-horsepower electric motor / 266 lb-ft of Torque
  • DC-to-AC power inverter to drive the electric motor
  • DC-to-DC power converter to power low-voltage systems
  • Wiring harnesses, controllers and water pumps for battery heating and cooling

This kit alone is more power than many 70's or 80's auto's had.

GM will not confirm or deny, but someone let slip that this first conversion kit would be about $14,000. Not bad when you think of the motor, battery pack, controllers, wires, etc. Much cheaper to have an auto you want to drive that is EV than to buy new.

As the media press release states, GM will continue to offer Connect and Cruise solutions from the LSX V-8s to eCrate conversion kits.

Imagine putting in the  1000HP / 11,500 lb-ft torque motors and battery pack from the Hummer into my 1994 Suburban.

AWD Awesome Power Performance!!! with the best part being fueling from home over night.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

^ Have a spare 50 grand laying around? Oh, plus the cost of the truck?

Kit is about 15 grand...

ICE in the ev thread, this is a clean swap!

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, David said:

Seems since the US is up in the air for EVs due to the craziness of our political current administration, Nissan has moved forward with Europe showing off many Test Mules that are new Production ready to drum up excitement for 2021 sales.

Currently other than the Concept auto they showed off, no test mules have been built that would meet US auto requirements. Nissan is saying at the earliest, 2022 will be when they might have working prototypes testing in the US.

Sad that the Ignorance of DC is holding back awesome technology that is good for the planet and people.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1130151_nissan-teases-potential-of-ariya-electric-crossover-for-europe-as-us-election-nears

What a stupid post.

• Disagree 3

Blaming the president for the American public seeing through the veil of EV BS is asinine.  NOTHING to do with the president, and everything to do with the American need for genuinely useful vehicles.  There, an expansion.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

12 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Blaming the president for the American public seeing through the veil of EV BS is asinine.  NOTHING to do with the president, and everything to do with the American need for genuinely useful vehicles.  There, an expansion.

I sort of agree in a way. The Free market, not political forces, will determine the success of EV vehicles.  Still think that there should be a mandate for eV's though, and a phase out of ICE on a fairly rapid basis. 

That being said, I really want a Rivian if they are ever affordable used. 

• Agree 1

When CAFE was instituted in '78, the goal was to raise the average from 18 to 27.5 by 1985. Except for a dip to 26.0 in '86-88, it remained 27.5 thru 2010. Because it takes YEARS to effect an average change on a scale like that. And I point out that MPG in '78 wasn't ONE MPG; passenger cars had a significant numeric jump on '27.5' already under their belts; it was 18.0 in 1978, so that was a 50% increase in 8 years. A tall order from a manufacturer's POV, but since not that much focus had been executed to that point, there was ample 'room' for improvement.

The highest peak (cars and light trucks) in that era reached 26.2 in 1987. In 2004, the CAFE was 24.6, as average vehicle weights increased from 3200 lbs to 4000 lbs- mostly as a result in the increasing market share march of light trucks.

In 2007, the EISA bill was passed, raising the CAFE bar to 35 by 2020.

In 2012, the Obama Administration proposed to raise the CAFE to 54.5 MPG by 2025, a straight up arbitrary doubling with no consideration or knowledge of the feasibility of doing such. That was a 100% increase in 13 years. While manufacturers had already started gearing for that change (and DID accomplish a significant fleet rise since '78), it was rescinded by the Trump Administration in 2016. There is some degree of 'law of diminishing returns' in play at this point; CAFE isn't a result of simply turning a dial.

In contrast, some local politicians are --likewise with no consideration or knowledge of the industry-- proposing to take nearly the same time interval (14 years) and increasing the EV market by around 5000% (2% > 100%). [I think I have that math right.] This, despite the obvious- increasing the MPG of passenger cars was only projected to cost the consumer something like $500-$1000, vs. the current EV consumer cost increase of $10,000-$25,000.

These proposals and talks of mandated bans are NOT remotely workable in this time frame.

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

Ford CEO Jim Farley is not shying away from stating that the Ford Mach e will be a true competitor to the Tesla Y long range AWD auto. I have to agree with the CEO that this being built from the ground up as an EV and not an ICE converted to EV auto gives them a good chance to compete and with Tesla no longer having the federal discount, Ford will have an advantage in the short term. I hope the dealerships do not attempt to put on the idiot stupid local deal markup pricing that adds crazy thousands to the price.

image.png

The story at the link below had some interesting comparisons.

image.png

image.png

https://electrek.co/2020/11/02/ford-ceo-mach-e-tesla-true-competitor/#more-153559

Tesla is either now or already has changed over their battery assembly line to support the new Panasonic cells that hold 5% more power but will have 20% more total by 2025 and a much faster recharge time according to Panasonic and Tesla's ex head of their battery department. Panasonic also is spending an additional $100 million to speed up production increasing output of battery cells by 10% by the end of this year.

The real game changer is that the new battery cell's are expected to be able to rapid charge at 250 kW for 50% of the battery storage before it starts to slow down in charging the cells.

While this is great news, I do have to wonder why when the Mach e and Hummer EV have 350 kW charging from the start that Tesla has not improved to match?

https://electrek.co/2020/11/03/tesla-tsla-new-battery-cells-panasonic-faster-charging-capacity/#more-153642

20 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Kit is about 15 grand...

There's going to be numerous misc materials / components costs.

Heavy cooling system mods (fabrication / plumbing) to cool batteries, conversion to electric power steering, conversion to an electric-driven A/C compressor... LOTS of ancillary costs beyond just the kit. And, of course, LABOR to install. I'd double that price...

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Heavy cooling system mods (fabrication / plumbing) to cool batteries, conversion to electric power steering, conversion to an electric-driven A/C compressor... LOTS of ancillary costs beyond just the kit. And, of course, LABOR to install. I'd double that price...

A difference between "projects I would like to do" and "projects I will do."

Right now...as is where is....I want to travel and camp. Bronco, Wrangler, Colroado Z-71 or ZR2, or something of the like that can pull a trailer and go off road. 

But given time and money (two things not in infinite supply) I would love to do a Factory 5 kit Cobra also....as well as a few other projects. 

As it is, it's all I can do to go home and take care of my house after work some days. 

So in reality, making extra payments on the Ranger so I am in position to buy the next vehicle when the time comes is probably the smartest move for me. 

But I do think building an Electric hot rod would be awesome. And I have a serious Fetish for 73-87 Gm trucks. So the project has infinite appeal to me. 

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, balthazar said:

This is no different than your current auto project. For those that choose to go this way, you have the bulk of the parts and working components. Unlike keeping an old auto, to that old spec and trying to hunt and find ways to make it work, this comes with a long list of already working parts including the cooling system which is already mounted on the motor that goes in the existing engine bay.

One of the benefits of connect and cruise is that it does limit how much you have to hunt down or create yourself as in regards to mounting brackets.

Like the ICE connect and cruise packages you can buy, the EV connect and cruise will as with all auto projects have some modifications and custom making brackets, etc. if you go that route and do not do which lots of folks have in regards to using existing mounting holes.

That extra cost is all up to the individual and if your doing this yourself, at least GM has already covered how to make the motor, controllers, wiring, cooling and battery pack connect and work together. How professional looking is up to you. Since these EV packages will connect to existing transmissions, there is no change in drive train components or brakes

That is the benefit of a Connect and Cruise is a working powertrain that will take minimal effort for the auto enthusiast to install and make functional.

One could take an existing auto, pull the engine and install the EV crate power train following their directions or one can go the complete way you are doing with your cool Buick and redo everything paying attention to details and taking years.

Your right it is all about the money you want to spend, but this is no different than buying an ICE GM Performance Powertrain. ICE is just as expensive or even more so depending on the performance you want.

Currently on sale, but normally $30,000 roughly for the Motor, Transmission, Wire harness, controllers, o2 sensors, etc. and if this is going into anything but a corvette, you have the same mod costs so this could if say you were putting it into a 1986 Monte Carlo SS, you still have plenty of modifications to do including hooking up the cooling, AC, etc. that you mention.

One interesting observation is the Connect and Cruise Engines with Manual Transmission are anywhere from a few hundred dollars to thousands more over the engine with Automatic transmission.

Example:

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/CPSLT4DT56.html

image.png

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Volvo has finally opened their dedicated EV Motor design lab in Shanghai and Gothenburg Sweden. Moving forward the company will use their own designed and built electric motors. which will make even the motors in the PoleStar auto's even more efficient and powerful.

At this time, the existing motors they are using are about 50% efficient when compared to Tesla. The new global platform SPA2 platform will go with their new Recharge PowerTrain family and motors/platform will start with the all new EV XC90 SUV that will come out in 2023 as a 2024 model. The next EV will be their luxury top of the line XC100 Recharge also out in late 2023 or early 2024.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1130165_volvo-is-developing-its-own-electric-motors-for-evs-in-sweden-and-china

image.png

• Agree 1

Ford CEO Jim Farley in an interview said FORD will be moving forward with Making EV's affordable to the masses. As such, expect to see sooner rather than later Ford Electric Commercial vehicles as well as mass appeal affordable EVs.

Ford on their Q3 results call said to not expect Ford to come out with a $100,000 plus off roader as they have that covered for now. Ford plans to make an even bigger impact with our EV strategy by ensuring our Ford Electric Transit Van family and F-150 work truck appeal to everyone from Businesses to retail users. Their Mach -E SUV went into full production last week and will ship by the end of the year to customers.

Farley went on to state that Ford does not want to be just another auto company that transitions to EV's but wants to lead and right now to lead and support our commitment to the Paris Climate accord and in standing with California on CARB requirements, Ford will be moving to ensure everyone can afford an EV.

Farley says this is not a propulsion story but an investment in the digitization of our business.

Ford has stated to use a baseball analogy, that Ford is NOT in the first inning of electric transformation due to the cost challenges as they prepare to support the needs of affordable EV's with battery pack production as they are building in Canada. The second inning is where Ford will be seen as they expand the offerings in the commercial sector with di-directional charging, job site charging, connected servies, supporting roles for EV's that will help to lower ownership costs of EVs.

Farley did not get into any other details of their business plan but did state that expect Hybrids across all product lines to come out next year and the future of SUVs is electric which will start with assembly at the Ford's Oakville, Ontario Plant.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1130166_ford-is-betting-on-commercial-electric-vehicles-affordable-evs-says-ceo

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, David said:

this comes with a long list of already working parts including the cooling system which is already mounted on the motor that goes in the existing engine bay.

What does an EV-powerplant cool? Still the batteries? Are EV batteries located in any conventional engine bay?

No.

Your comparisons to my car are completely inapplicable- there is not and never will be an EV kit capable of hooking up to a TwinTurbine Dynaflow transmission. There is literally zero in the way of retro-fitting anything in ‘crate’ form.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, balthazar said:

What does an EV-powerplant cool? Still the batteries? Are EV batteries located in any conventional engine bay?

No.

Your comparisons to my car are completely inapplicable- there is not and never will be an EV kit capable of hooking up to a TwinTurbine Dynaflow transmission. There is literally zero in the way of retro-fitting anything in ‘crate’ form.

My bad, I made an assumption here and should have clarified, battery packs that get usually attached between the wheels under the auto are sealed but use a cooling system to optimize the performance during hot or cold weather. As such, attached with the Electric Motor is an Electric Heat Pump that is used to both heat or cool the cabin plus regulate the battery pack.

I disagree with you as your Buick project is a cool project but your modding various things to make them work just as you did with your truck. Same is to be said for any auto project whether you use an ICE or EV power train. Changes have to be made to allow a modern power train to work with an old auto.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

My truck project is 100% factory original. OK; I gave it dual exhaust and replaced the pre-existing electric fuel pump. Other than that, it's as modern as the late 1940s. Even the tires are literally from the 1960s.

My other car project (the P-64) is likewise all original. I don't have to "hunt for ways to make it work" other that some unbolting, rebuilding and re-bolting. That's ALSO a vintage car that no EV crate motor kit will ever bolt to it's trans (exactly the same scenario as the Ford truck).

Hard to imagine, but there's a hundred million non-Chevy project cars out there.

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, balthazar said:

My truck project is 100% factory original. OK; I gave it dual exhaust and replaced the pre-existing electric fuel pump. Other than that, it's as modern as the late 1940s. Even the tires are literally from the 1960s.

My other car project (the P-64) is likewise all original. I don't have to "hunt for ways to make it work" other that some unbolting, rebuilding and re-bolting. That's ALSO a vintage car that no EV crate motor kit will ever bolt to it's trans (exactly the same scenario as the Ford truck).

Hard to imagine, but there's a hundred million non-Chevy project cars out there.

My idea of the ideal non Chevy project car is a Wrangler from 2012 to 2020. Bolt on a hitch, Winch, and BF Goodrich KO2's and go drive the damn thing. 

37 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I love the COE!

1 hour ago, David said:

Ford CEO Jim Farley in an interview said FORD will be moving forward with Making EV's affordable to the masses. As such, expect to see sooner rather than later Ford Electric Commercial vehicles as well as mass appeal affordable EVs.

Ford on their Q3 results call said to not expect Ford to come out with a $100,000 plus off roader as they have that covered for now. Ford plans to make an even bigger impact with our EV strategy by ensuring our Ford Electric Transit Van family and F-150 work truck appeal to everyone from Businesses to retail users. Their Mach -E SUV went into full production last week and will ship by the end of the year to customers.

Farley went on to state that Ford does not want to be just another auto company that transitions to EV's but wants to lead and right now to lead and support our commitment to the Paris Climate accord and in standing with California on CARB requirements, Ford will be moving to ensure everyone can afford an EV.

Farley says this is not a propulsion story but an investment in the digitization of our business.

Ford has stated to use a baseball analogy, that Ford is NOT in the first inning of electric transformation due to the cost challenges as they prepare to support the needs of affordable EV's with battery pack production as they are building in Canada. The second inning is where Ford will be seen as they expand the offerings in the commercial sector with di-directional charging, job site charging, connected servies, supporting roles for EV's that will help to lower ownership costs of EVs.

Farley did not get into any other details of their business plan but did state that expect Hybrids across all product lines to come out next year and the future of SUVs is electric which will start with assembly at the Ford's Oakville, Ontario Plant.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1130166_ford-is-betting-on-commercial-electric-vehicles-affordable-evs-says-ceo

Battery powered Transit Connect might be a great vehicle for Camping. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

My idea of the ideal non Chevy project car is a Wrangler from 2012 to 2020. Bolt on a hitch, Winch, and BF Goodrich KO2's and go drive the damn thing. 

A non-Chevy project I'd love to do would be to take an older Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer (70s-80s vintage) and update w/ a modern Hemi (not a Hellcat, a 5.7 would be sufficient), 8spd auto, updated suspension, light off roading capability, modern GC seats and interior upgrades...

Basically a similar kind of project that my buddy in AZ did with his '84 FJ 60 Land Cruiser--he put in a GM E-Rod crate LS, suspension upgrades for off roading,  Lexus LX seats, etc... he'd had it for 25 years and done a lot of off-roading, but got tired of the fiddly carburetor and timing settings every two years to pass emissions tests...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

A non-Chevy project I'd love to do would be to take an older Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer (70s-80s vintage) and update w/ a modern Hemi (not a Hellcat, a 5.7 would be sufficient), 8spd auto, updated suspension, light off roading capability, modern GC seats and interior upgrades...

Basically a similar kind of project that my buddy in AZ did with his '84 FJ 60 Land Cruiser--he put in a GM E-Rod crate LS, suspension upgrades for off roading,  Lexus LX seats, etc... he'd had it for 25 years and done a lot of off-roading, but got tired of the fiddly carburetor and timing settings every two years to pass emissions tests...

I would love this build also. 

Want to do this as my next round of fun with cars. 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Usually only happens when the vehicle is in high demand.

True, but I still do not think it is right or fair to jack up prices, I just shop elsewhere than deal with dealers like that.

Very cool as the SAE j2954 wireless charging standard has been released and it includes V2G or Vehicle to Grid reverse charging which means you can have your EV plugged in and if you lose power at the house, the auto can supply power to the house.

As a water proof charging pad, this makes EVs even easier as you just come home park over the pad and let it re-charge overnight.

https://insideevs.com/news/450548/sae-j2954-wireless-charging-standard/

This is the actual standard site, but very techy, the story above is a nicely laid out clear explanation of the code.

https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j2954_201904/#:~:text=The Recommended Practice SAE J2954 establishes an industry-wide,charging of light-duty electric and plug-in electric vehicles.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 7:15 PM, ocnblu said:

When there is false rhetoric, and blind mice follow a corrupt leader...whether at gun point or with brain washing lies, a leader of a country, has ALL the power at his/her disposal to persuade how it goes down...

Look at your elections tonight.

1. wearing a mask has become politicized...

2. shut downs for Covid have become politicized...

3. SPORTS...have become politized.  This last one is funny to me...

Americans NEVER wanted their entertainment to have minds of their own and for them to show their political sways, yet somehow, in this era, sports are very political...

Maybe you SHOULD leave your Amish country more often...

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I sort of agree in a way. The Free market, not political forces, will determine the success of EV vehicles.  Still think that there should be a mandate for eV's though, and a phase out of ICE on a fairly rapid basis.

You contradict yourself

2 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

You contradict yourself

Not really.   He is PROPERLY informed as to why the two could co-exist as how he put it...

Just now, ocnblu said:

Look at YOU, building up courage!

Na...

Ill be gone again.  Got better things to do than talk to you...  I just miss a couple of folks in here.  (not you) 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Not really.   He is PROPERLY informed as to why the two could co-exist as how he put it...

Na...

Ill be gone again.  Got better things to do than talk to you...  I just miss a couple of folks in here.  (not you) 

I miss you too! 🤗

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

3. SPORTS...have become politized.  This last one is funny to me...

Americans NEVER wanted their entertainment to have minds of their own and for them to show their political sways, yet somehow, in this era, sports are very political...

That one wasn't done by politicians tho. (I can see a case argued for the others...)

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, balthazar said:

That one wasn't done by politicians tho. (I can see a case argued for the others...)

Well...yeah. I agree. 

But...

The leader of the free world surely profited and often goaded a certain demographic to continue the political charade.  And he used that as a tool to try to get himself re-elected tonight.   

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2