Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Alternative Fuels & Propulsion RANDOM

5 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I just miss a couple of folks in here.

Hey! We missed you and your diatribes! :D

How's the weather up North? Any snow on the ground yet? 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Here ya go @David I have to say, it would be really weird not feeling or hearing the 350 or 454 V8 rumbling under the hood! :D

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/10/electric-1977-chevrolet-k5-blazer-e-revealed-ahead-of-sema360/

1977-Chevrolet-K5-Blazer-With-Electric-C

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Just between his ears...just kidding.

3 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Here ya go @David I have to say, it would be really weird not feeling or hearing the 350 or 454 V8 rumbling under the hood! :D

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/10/electric-1977-chevrolet-k5-blazer-e-revealed-ahead-of-sema360/

I think this is a badass truck though.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Yup, posted about it on the last couple of pages. 

I am excited that GM is going to use the Ultium family of batteries and motors for various connect and cruise packages that will have all the controllers, wires, cooling, etc. in a package that can be then used to convert any ICE to EV. :metal:

Thinking of this for my 1994 GMC Suburban. :D 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, David said:

Yup, posted about it on the last couple of pages. 

I am excited that GM is going to use the Ultium family of batteries and motors for various connect and cruise packages that will have all the controllers, wires, cooling, etc. in a package that can be then used to convert any ICE to EV. :metal:

Thinking of this for my 1994 GMC Suburban. :D 

But not the TB SS? Wonder why? Because that LS2 sounds too good to swap and you know it! :D

9 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Just between his ears...just kidding.

I think this is a badass truck though.

K5 Blazer is one of my favorite old SUV's, top 3 fav. rides for sure.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, USA-1 said:

But not the TB SS? Wonder why? Because that LS2 sounds too good to swap and you know it! :D

K5 Blazer is one of my favorite old SUV's, top 3 fav. rides for sure.

TBG SS is limited production, has a collectors status with high resale value even with the miles I have on it. Once I think I convert the Suburban, I will probably garage the SS for just weekend trips is my long term thinking. After all, how many TB SS do you really see, they stand out from the standard TB. Even now I get compliments and people are surprised when they learn it is a TB SS edition.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

First Chinese made EV car EPA certified and cleared for use in California. Deliveries to start between now and the end of the year. The basic entry level EV car qualifies for the California $2,000 EV credit and the federal $7,500 ev credit giving it an effective cost of just $7,999 out of the customers pocket. Cheapest EV on the road.

image.png

The Kandi K27 comes with an EPA rated 59 miles from a 17.7 kWh battery pack and a top speed of 63 mph. This micro subcompact car is clearly for inner city use for the most part. The 4 passenger car is only 136 inches long, more than a foot shorter than the Mitsubishi Mirage.

Kandi K27 will have the following standard:

• backup camera
  • 9" touch screen infotainment system
  • bluetooth connectivity

Before any credits this car costs $20,499 and right now for the first 1,000 customers, Kandi is offering a $3,000 discount which brings it to $17,499 then add the credits and you end up at $7,999

Kandi K23 is the more expensive and little bit bigger car that is $29,999 before incentives or discounts and has a rated top speed of 72 mph and 111 miles of battery range. The K23 will be available for purchase in California come 2023.

image.png

Consumer reports has published their latest report on auto cost savings for owning an EV over a comparable ICE auto. Seems the average savings on owning an EV to a comparible ICE is $6,000 to $10,000 with Tesla 3 being the best at $15,000 savings over it's lifetime. Average fuel savings is 60% alone.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/consumer-reports-popular-ev-models-cost-less-to-own-than-comparable-legacy-vehicles/

image.png

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Battery tech is moving forward at Warp Speed. The new SuperBattery using man made curved Graphene carbon material has the individual battery cell down to a 15 second recharge time. This is brought to you by Skeleton Technologies and KIT or Karlsruhe Institute of Technology. A $1 billion letter has been signed with an Automotive OEM to bring these cells to market.

This would make a 40 kWh battery like what the Nissan Leaf uses recharge from empty to full in 6 minutes.

image.png

https://www.skeletontech.com/news/skeleton-and-kit-are-developing-a-new-graphene-battery-charging-in-15-seconds

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, David said:

First Chinese made EV car EPA certified and cleared for use in California. Deliveries to start between now and the end of the year. The basic entry level EV car qualifies for the California $2,000 EV credit and the federal $7,500 ev credit giving it an effective cost of just $7,999 out of the customers pocket. Cheapest EV on the road.

image.png

The Kandi K27 comes with an EPA rated 59 miles from a 17.7 kWh battery pack and a top speed of 63 mph. This micro subcompact car is clearly for inner city use for the most part. The 4 passenger car is only 136 inches long, more than a foot shorter than the Mitsubishi Mirage.

Kandi K27 will have the following standard:

• backup camera
  • 9" touch screen infotainment system
  • bluetooth connectivity

Before any credits this car costs $20,499 and right now for the first 1,000 customers, Kandi is offering a $3,000 discount which brings it to $17,499 then add the credits and you end up at $7,999

Kandi K23 is the more expensive and little bit bigger car that is $29,999 before incentives or discounts and has a rated top speed of 72 mph and 111 miles of battery range. The K23 will be available for purchase in California come 2023.

image.png

Ah, of course they're cleared in Commiefornia...no surprise...

An even uglier (if that's possible) knockoff version of the Fiat 500e and Smart EQ EV. Probably built worse too. Like an 80's Yugo. :roflmao:

Never before seen YUGO commercial - insert from the movie - YouTube

The Fiat 500 Is Back, and It's All-Electric This Time Around

File:Smart fortwo electric drive Generation III (front quarter).jpg -  Wikimedia Commons

BMW has started production of their all new BMW ix3 EV suv in China and will export it to Europe for sale. Plenty of external and internal pictures at the link below. 

Quote from the story:

BMW confirmed the specs of the iX3. The BMW iX3’s 80-kilowatt-hour battery pack — 74 kWh of which is useable — offers a range of 460 kilometers (286 miles) using the generous WLTP testing numbers. That likely translates to around 200 miles in real-world driving.

The battery pack feeds a 210 kW/286 hp electric motor with a peak torque of 400 Nm (295 lb-ft). and acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h [62 mph] in 6.8 seconds.

As for charging, the BMW iX3 can take a 150 kW DC fast-charge output.

The electric SUV costs about €70,000 in Europe.

As we previously reported, BMW canceled its plan to launch the iX3 electric SUV in the US, but the price would translate to about $67,000 USD before taxes and incentives.

https://electrek.co/2020/11/04/bmw-ix3-electric-suv-price-specs-gallery/

image.png

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Pretty warm up here as of late.

Indian summer I guess.  This week-end is gonna be 60F.  Its rare to get that warm this late into November. But we'll take it as me thinks this is the last time we hit those temps this year.  Sometime in April next year we will be so lucky again...

• Agree 1

Just now, USA-1 said:

Ok, there's no sense in beating a dead horse here. You obviously are way out there and have no clue WTF is going on in MY country so move along....

Again, I didn't start this political $h! throwing contest about 45 David did, which is no surprise.

Oh...I do know.

Im afraid, I know MORE than you...

7 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

I'm sick and tired as are many millions more Americans of uneducated idiots thinking that it's all 45

You are one of those uneducated... 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Uh...no you obviously DON'T know more than me...

You are definitely are one of those uneducated. 

I have a Masters in Electrical Engineering (how about you) and I follow world politics and have for many years.

Oh yes I do...

Its quite telling how you automatically believe what your "die on the hill" political figure tells you to believe.  False accusations without proof.   And you blindly follow that lead WITHOUT questioning it. Just repeat it.

You follow world politics? 

How?

I dont believe you.

Why?

JUST the way you answer me.  

I remember you threw a shytty link about how Canada's borders were open to certain Chinese officials while the border was closed for everybody else and you laughed at my goverment...yada yada yada.

You thought that I didnt know that piece of information as if my government lies to me...

I never responded to you then, because I didnt deem it worth my time...

Im not naive to ultimately believe what my government tells me, but there is a reason why Canada's borders are closed  and open for certain peoples.  And if one wants top know why that is, one could easily find that information.  If you are soooo smart as to why many Chinese officials, doctors, CEOs have entered my country when our borders are closed, please tell me as to why.   I already know why.... 

PS:  there is no conspiracy theory.  

PSS:  There are many things BOTH of our governments dont tell us, the public,  what is going on.  But you and I and everybody else that is NOT in the loop will NEVER know...    

About my education...

Never finished...university.  Miised my Bachelor's by 1 year as I dropped out to open up my restaurant.  Majored in marketing. Political science as a minor.

You might be an excellent electrical engineer...but you are stupid in your very own knowledge of what the phoque is going in your surroundings.

Like how you thought that Kaepernick's kneeling was anything else OTHER than young black males getting shot and killed by the police...

Anything else is just noise.  

His contract

Him never playing again in the NFL

Disrespecting of the flag.

YOU missed that.

An intelligent man...sees through ALL the propaganda...

His kneeling was ALWAYS about young black males betting killed at the hands of the police.

Anything else is just feeding into the hidden agendas.  

And...when #45 defends the wrong message of disrespecting flags. I find it funny that HE was a draft dodger.

I find it funny that HE missed the message of young black males getting killed at the hands of the police...yet YOU  give me a shyte phoquing link to a supposed black girlfriend he had...

I find it funny that he once wanted to buy an NFL team, yet the NFL snubbed him, before he was prez, and then when he became pres, he sooooo tried to undermine the NFL and cause chaos with the Kaapernick thing and he boasted how the NFL's rating are shyte because of it.  No hidden agenda there for #45, right?  Whethet he is a racist SOB (prolly not, but there is alot of rumors of him being a shyte landlord back in NYC regarding black folk) or a hidden agenda regarding ther NFL and him wanting to exact revenge on the NFL, (and yet, there are rumours of him being a petty SOB too)

But again...poor old #45. Never gets respect. He is misunderstood.  #fakenews.  yada yada yada.

Its funny, no other person on the planet has this kind of clout surround them.  

But you knew thaat, right? 

Because  you follow world news.

GTFO with that!!!!

30 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Repeat after me;

THEY

BOTH

SUCK.

Sure.

But this aint about Biden.  Its about #44 and how HE divided America.  

Its about how #45 is one sneaky con of a fraud.  But some dont even wanna see that.  

Some...out of the sheer hatred of #44 give a pass to #45 to do as he pleases, because of that raw hate.  

The latest:

Declaring he is a victor of an un-finished election.  (Tyrannical and dictorial)

Accusing the opposition of voter fraud.   Downright criminal no matter if he is right (for the democrats') or he is lying.    But the implications OF HIS ACCUSATIONS are deeper than that. One has to question his motives for doing that.   

He does have legal problems...very serious legal problems when (and if) his presidency is over.   That in itswelf is serious talk as he said just last week, that he does NOT intend to go quietly if he loses.  And in actual fact, last night, he NEVER once led at ANY time and HE declared himself victor...  

And now...he wants voting to stop...the counting to stop...he wants top declare himself president, he is suing two states for counting of the votes allegedly for voter fraud, yet no other REPUBLICAN party member is SHARING THAT thought...

Don Jr. told a white supremacist group to "have fun"

This very same white supremacist group ran a Biden election party bus off the road in Texas...

Like HOLE PHOQUE!!!!

What is all that?

FAKENEWS?

DEMOCRATS ARE THE DICTATORS?

Here we are...we are still hell bent on shytting on #44, yet what #45 just done JUST the last 24 hours is a gazillion times worse than what #44 has done in 8 years.    Yet Im supposed to just turn my attention AWAY from what Trump is doing to the south of me?   

Maybe Canadian news is lying to me?

Im taking this out of context?

Because Im a stupid Canadian?

Because Trump is honest?

Because Trump has NEVER lied?   Never frauded?

5 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Because I am boots on the ground in the know. You are not. You get all of your information from the local News in another country and online. How is that so hard for you to understand?

Yes I am, and proud of it!

Yeah... The famous Fakenews.

You are NOT a proud American...

You are NOT boots on the ground. 

YOU dont live or breathe the problems and dilemmas of EVERY American and when YOU DENY the realities of of your fellow countrymen: 

You are the opposite.

You are a danger to YOUR country.

I asked you how YOU are gonna unite with your fellow American and all I giot back is more shyte rhetoric and insults. 

You hardly know your own rights...by defending and supporting the con you have as #45...

You are even tooo stupid to see it...    

I pity you. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

Like seriously now... I dont give a shyte who you vote for...    

Just dont try to tell me Trump is a stand-up man... and if you stop trying to convince me otherwise, I might forget that you are an idiot for following such a criminally insane a$$hole 

EVs please

• Haha 1

That whole post above is YOU being divisive.

You dont see that?

Including a dig at someone else's leader.  With no proof.  Tyrannical....but you laughed at that...  Phoquing ironic...

You condone what happened on a Texas highway?

You simply give excuses and you downplay the whole thing?   Maybe I shouldnt have called that caravan white supremacists, regardless what I call them and who they are, that somehow excuses their behavior?  In a supposed free, DEMOCRATIC "Republic"  such as your country and you are OK with that? 

Boggles my mind...

But you be you, my friend.  You be you.  

Interesting how one comes into  this thread which was on Alternative fuels and starts calling California Commies or specifically calling them commiefornia and I respond to his remark and he says I started the politics. 🙄

So back to our Alternative Fuel Propulsion thread. Greece is working with VW to change over to pure electric auto's and renewable power starting with the island of Astypalea in the south Aegean Sea. This will be the start of the country converting all areas to clean renewable power and transportation reducing contamination from the environment by petrol.

The current 1,500 ICE auto's on the island will be replaced with 1,000 EVs as well as all municipal and commercial auto's. Public transit is very limited as such the island will be setup as a sharing service for private EV use.

VW did not confirm or deny that this is related to their diesel-emissions scandal, but this does mirror other settlement programs with other European governments and looks like what Renault also did with an island off France and another off Portugal where their own issues were settled out with those governments.

image.png

image.png

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1130195_vw-project-to-transition-greek-model-island-to-electric-vehicles-renewable-power

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Everybody has got some sort of plan to try to get of off the internal combustion engine for personal transportational needs.   Even Greece for crying out loud.  An almost third world country at times since the Ottoman empire blazed through.  A not so much better than a third world country since she gained her freedom back including her bankruptcy a decade ago. 

Diesel scandal or not, it seems the Greek people and government, (in a more or less honest and ideal democracy, the populous and the government should be one and the same...we all knwo that is quite the feat to accomplish, some say impossible but I digress) are on the same page of where the future SHOULD be regarding the earth's well being and the internal combustion engine.

An American that bled General Motors, still does.  He is on that same wave length.

http://www.autoextremist.com/

Yes, I have gone electric. I picked up a 2020 Chevrolet Bolt last Friday (not supplied by the manufacturer, just to be clear – WG), in what some would consider a radical departure for The Autoextremist. And believe me, it is. This is not a drill. The Bolt will serve as my daily driver for the foreseeable future....

.....I was initially leaning toward the Camaro because of its lighter weight and clear affordability advantage, but in the end it was a toss-up, because if I was going out on a high automotive note, I was going out with a big bang. But then I remembered that famous line by The Boss in Born to Run:

“The highway’s jammed with broken heroes on a last-chance power drive…”

Ain’t that the High-Octane Truth? Yes, I could stand on the gas in either one of these machines in a blast up to 140 mph in an exuberant “merge” on the freeway, or rip through my favorite exit and entrance ramps, or just hammer up Woodward Avenue for the sheer hell of it. But is that all there is? Were those fleeting moments of V8 bliss worth everything else that comes with it? Like thirsty gas bills and pay-through-the-nose insurance?

“… Beyond the Palace, hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard

Girls comb their hair in rear-view mirrors, and the boys try to look so hard… “

I love every bit of Bruce’s incredible imagery in his signature song (one of them anyway -WG), because I have lived it. All of it. I have lived more automotive lives than most people could only dream of. I grew-up in Detroit’s Golden Era, and I was fortunate enough to experience an incredible array of mind-boggling machines in real time and in-period that were only available to read about in car magazines or coffee table books for a lot of other enthusiasts. I got to live through America’s greatest road racing era – from SCCA and FIA sports car racing and on to Can-Am and Trans-Am in the 60s and early 70s.

And my aim and my memories are true. I savor every last moment of my experiences and they are as vivid as if they happened just yesterday. And that is no exaggeration. People often comment on my ability to remember my experiences down to the very last detail. It is a gift that I never get tired of and I will never take for granted. It is a distinct privilege to have that treasure chest of memories at my disposal any time I want to tap into them.

But - and there’s always a “but” - the more I thought about it, the more I began to think that it was time to turn the page. As a society, we’re collectively about to embark on a New Age of transportation. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

somebody in government, should suggest that.  

Where will this idea come from since most politicians are brain dead, corrupt or both?

How 'bout somebody in the general population raise awareness, get steam behind THAT idea and force the government to do just that.

Democracy is actually run that way...

Declaring one's self as the winner in an un-finished election is...um...not.    But I am digressing again.    

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

[ Interesting how one comes into  this thread which was on Alternative fuels and starts calling California Commies or specifically calling them commiefornia and I respond to his remark and he says I started the politics.]

I think the issue comes in when you attempt to link incongruous ideas together, along the lines like ‘This administration encourages diesel truck sales’ or the like. Not everything you view as negative can remotely be linked to the office of the President. In fact, almost nothing can. Folk greatly overestimate the influence there.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

How about a partial arrangement? Like : most government vehicles (postal trucks, etc), all transit vehicles (taxis, buses, etc), all light cargo vehicles (vans) and half the passenger cars & light trucks go BEV, and the other half remain IC.
That would be a HUGE move "forward" and reduce emissions GREATLY, yet still offer choice and allow the consumer to choose. Have a goal of the year 2050 to reach this breakout.

That, at least, seems feasible. The '100% in 14 years'... isn't.

I am thinking at this stage this would be more real idea....

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

How about a partial arrangement? Like : most government vehicles (postal trucks, etc), all transit vehicles (taxis, buses, etc), all light cargo vehicles (vans) and half the passenger cars & light trucks go BEV, and the other half remain IC.
That would be a HUGE move "forward" and reduce emissions GREATLY, yet still offer choice and allow the consumer to choose. Have a goal of the year 2050 to reach this breakout.

That, at least, seems feasible. The '100% in 14 years'... isn't.

It is surprising to see that a Country would just turn over in this case an island and let them change the way auto's are used by the population. 

I totally agree with you that changing Transit, Municipal and commercial auto's can have a huge affect and give a much more decent time frame for conversion of the private residential auto's.

I do get that they are wanting to reduce the chance of pollution into the local eco system, but a flip like this so fast is pretty surprising. I do wonder how the 1,400 permanent locals think about this.

Did a Search and found more detailed writings about this carbon neutral mobility project. All power comes from burning fossil fuels and with 72,000 tourist a year as well as other ships stopping by the island, the need to reduce the carbon footprint has led the Greece government to the following conclusion, Government nor Private business can fix the problems, only working together with the local population can fix the problem. As such the Island residents have chosen this route in such a short time frame.

Seems VW sustainability council working along with the Greece Government sustainability council and the local Island Council that is wanting to get to a Climate Neutral Mobility and power supply has chosen this path.

Seems this is a 6yr plan according to the press release from VW and Greece is planning for the whole country to be Climate Carbon Neutral by 2050. 🤔

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/press-releases/volkswagen-group-and-greece-to-create-model-island-for-climate-neutral-mobility-6583

EV update of the day.

Tesla has secured a 150 Tesla Semi Trucks from a truck leasing company with options for 350 more surpassing Walmart's firm commitment to 130 Tesla Semi Trucks.

https://electrek.co/2020/11/05/tesla-tsla-order-tesla-semi-electric-trucks-biggest-yet/

Australia has been struggling with brown outs this past year much like California has due to fires and extreme climate change. As such, South Australia has committed to what is being called the Worlds Biggest Tesla Battery for a green renewable storage system to insure power supply.

https://electrek.co/2020/11/05/tesla-tsla-wins-contract-giant-battery-australia/

California has landed on a bumper crop of Lithium, enough to support 1/3rd of the worlds needs due to California's expansion of GeoThermal Power. Seems the Lithium is a by product of using GeoThermal to create power to supply the state.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/report-highlights-the-potential-for-lithium-recovery-from-californias-geothermal-industry/

FOR THE SPEED FREAKS, Audi has released their E-Tron GT details.

Plenty more pictures and slides covering their tech at the story link at the bottom, but the car will have a 235 HP front motor and 449 HP rear motor for a total of 684 HP total but limited to 590 HP all the time and an overboost feature of 640 HP at this time. 0 to 60 time of 3.6 seconds. Rather than a 79 kWh battery pack or performance mode of 93 kWh battery pack like Porsche is offering, Audi is going with a 83.7 kWh battery.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1130199_2022-audi-e-tron-gt-electric-car-details-battery-charging-performance

57 minutes ago, David said:

EV update of the day.

Tesla has secured a 150 Tesla Semi Trucks from a truck leasing company with options for 350 more surpassing Walmart's firm commitment to 130 Tesla Semi Trucks.

https://electrek.co/2020/11/05/tesla-tsla-order-tesla-semi-electric-trucks-biggest-yet/

Australia has been struggling with brown outs this past year much like California has due to fires and extreme climate change. As such, South Australia has committed to what is being called the Worlds Biggest Tesla Battery for a green renewable storage system to insure power supply.

https://electrek.co/2020/11/05/tesla-tsla-wins-contract-giant-battery-australia/

California has landed on a bumper crop of Lithium, enough to support 1/3rd of the worlds needs due to California's expansion of GeoThermal Power. Seems the Lithium is a by product of using GeoThermal to create power to supply the state.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/report-highlights-the-potential-for-lithium-recovery-from-californias-geothermal-industry/

FOR THE SPEED FREAKS, Audi has released their E-Tron GT details.

Plenty more pictures and slides covering their tech at the story link at the bottom, but the car will have a 235 HP front motor and 449 HP rear motor for a total of 684 HP total but limited to 590 HP all the time and an overboost feature of 640 HP at this time. 0 to 60 time of 3.6 seconds. Rather than a 79 kWh battery pack or performance mode of 93 kWh battery pack like Porsche is offering, Audi is going with a 83.7 kWh battery.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1130199_2022-audi-e-tron-gt-electric-car-details-battery-charging-performance

Hi!  

46 minutes ago, David said:

On AUTO News GM is EXPANDING EV spending as they Boost Truck production to support solid sales.

Over the next three years, GM will expand spending to insure EV's are across all brands especially affordable high volume segments according to CEO Barra.

To quote:

The automaker’s EV push is being funded by robust profit from sales of pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles in North America, which drove a stronger-than-expected third quarter profit. GM said it will invest C$1 billion to overhaul an idle plant in Oshawa, Ontario, to expand pickup production, under a tentative agreement with its Canadian union.

https://in.reuters.com/article/gm-results/gm-to-boost-spending-on-evs-funded-by-expanded-pickup-production-idINKBN27L1MU?il=0

Who goes there?!

5 hours ago, David said:

Greece is working with VW to change over to pure electric auto's and renewable power starting with the island of Astypalea in the south Aegean Sea. This will be the start of the country converting all areas to clean renewable power and transportation reducing contamination from the environment by petrol.

The current 1,500 ICE auto's on the island will be replaced with 1,000 EVs as well as all municipal and commercial auto's. Public transit is very limited as such the island will be setup as a sharing service for private EV use.

VW did not confirm or deny that this is related to their diesel-emissions scandal, but this does mirror other settlement programs with other European governments and looks like what Renault also did with an island off France and another off Portugal where their own issues were settled out with those governments.

image.png

image.png

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1130195_vw-project-to-transition-greek-model-island-to-electric-vehicles-renewable-power

Great info here!  

20 hours ago, David said:

Ill meet the Hummer sometime later in the day. Thanx! 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, David said:

BMW has started production of their all new BMW ix3 EV suv in China and will export it to Europe for sale. Plenty of external and internal pictures at the link below. 

Quote from the story:

BMW confirmed the specs of the iX3. The BMW iX3’s 80-kilowatt-hour battery pack — 74 kWh of which is useable — offers a range of 460 kilometers (286 miles) using the generous WLTP testing numbers. That likely translates to around 200 miles in real-world driving.

The battery pack feeds a 210 kW/286 hp electric motor with a peak torque of 400 Nm (295 lb-ft). and acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h [62 mph] in 6.8 seconds.

As for charging, the BMW iX3 can take a 150 kW DC fast-charge output.

The electric SUV costs about €70,000 in Europe.

As we previously reported, BMW canceled its plan to launch the iX3 electric SUV in the US, but the price would translate to about $67,000 USD before taxes and incentives.

https://electrek.co/2020/11/04/bmw-ix3-electric-suv-price-specs-gallery/

image.png

I dont like BMW, but hey...this is an EV thread after all...

• Agree 1

AWESOME AWESOME EV News today:

• 6K Energy develops small-particle NMC 811 with UniMelt Plasma Production Platform. https://chargedevs.com/newswire/6k-energy-develops-small-particle-nmc-811-with-unimelt-plasma-production-platform/
    • What this means is higher energy density for batteries, reduced rare earth elements but increased nickel content and smaller battery size. Win Win Win for all things from EV's to smartphones.
  • Ford & Google conducted survey's in the US, UK and Germany. 60% of the people said they would rather wait longer for delivery via a clean EV powered van than an ICE auto especially diesel powered. This is up 12% from when the last survey was done at the start of this year. Ford has indicated that ahead of the reveal of the Transit family of electric Van options, purchasing interest has exploded with companies putting in reservations for EV vans. USPS had 2 of the 4 finalist auto's to replace the extremely old current fleet that are EV and has indicated EV with a lower maintenance cost is leading this change. UPS, FedEx and many other delivery services are all moving to EV fleets.
  • Texas Instrument Announces a new generation of gallium nitride field-effect transistors and controllers for EV charging. https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1130236_texas-instruments-boost-electric-car-range-downsize-onboard-chargers
    • Why is this important? These new products allow the onboard charging system of all auto EVs to be reduced in size by 50% while doubling the power density and increasing efficiency. This means that the new 800V onboard chargers in a Porsche or Hummer 1st Edition truck could go to 1,600V charging reducing charge times by half while helping to double the energy density of existing power storage.
    • A visual example is that in the 2nd generation Prius onboard chargers / inverters it was the size of a standard large suit case and now with Toyota's 3rd generation of onboard chargers / inverters they have it down to an over head small suit case. This reduces weight, increases efficiency.
    • Delphi is supplying 800V charging for a number of Luxury auto EV builders as well as others, they have indicated that faster versions was coming but have not committed to what it would be. TI seems to imply that the 800V days will be only a few years before we flip to much faster charging standards.
    • As of today, Audi, Porsche, VW, GM, Mercedes-Benz and Hyundai/Kia/Genesis have all committed to 800V (350kWH) charging which is faster than current Tesla (250 kWH) charging or anyone else.
  • Agree 1

On 11/4/2020 at 4:50 PM, David said:

Consumer reports has published their latest report on auto cost savings for owning an EV over a comparable ICE auto. Seems the average savings on owning an EV to a comparible ICE is $6,000 to $10,000 with Tesla 3 being the best at $15,000 savings over it's lifetime. Average fuel savings is 60% alone.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/consumer-reports-popular-ev-models-cost-less-to-own-than-comparable-legacy-vehicles/

image.png

This will really add up when it comes to commercial trucks. 

Speaking of commercial trucks...

Ford F-59

https://fordauthority.com/2020/11/motiv-will-build-100-electric-trucks-for-bimbo-bakeries-based-on-ford-f-59-platform/

On 11/4/2020 at 4:25 PM, David said:

TBG SS is limited production, has a collectors status with high resale value even with the miles I have on it. Once I think I convert the Suburban, I will probably garage the SS for just weekend trips is my long term thinking. After all, how many TB SS do you really see, they stand out from the standard TB. Even now I get compliments and people are surprised when they learn it is a TB SS edition.

I still want a TB SS, but doubt I will ever own one. 

• Agree 1

Seems reviewers are able to test drive the Ford F-150 Hybrid and it ties the F-150 Diesel for fuel efficiency. 

The F-150 has 430 HP and 570 lb-ft of Torque compared to the diesel with 250 HP and 440 lb-ft of torque.

Fuel economy is as follows: Hybrid gets 24 mpg in city, highway and overall rating. Diesel gets 21 mpg city, 29 mpg highway for a 24 mpg average.

Hybrid is available on all trim levels of four door SuperCrew cab. 

Costs are as follows:

• $4,495 on the XL
  • $3,300 on the XLT
  • $2,500 on the King Ranch & Platinum
  • $1,900 on the Limited

So then the big question is what are the Pro's and Con's for Diesel versus Hybrid? I would rather say lets just post the numbers and let ya decide for your self.

Diesel :

• 3L Turbo V6, 250 HP, 440 lb-ft of torque
  • Tow's up to 11,400 lbs.
  • Payload of 2,020 lbs.
  • Diesel is an energy dense fuel compared to regular gas, allowing more power from a smaller amount of fuel. Provides best savings when at constant speed. Less Maintenance than a gas engine.
  • Provides low-end torque for heavy-duty towing and hauling

Hybrid :

• Much smaller carbon footprint than Diesel or gas
  • 23% increase in fuel efficiency
  • Ford has not released final numbers for hauling or towing, but based on past comments, Ford is aiming for a towing of between 4,500 to 11,800 lbs. Ford has not stated anything about hauling in the bed other than to say it would be on par with their Ford Family of trucks.

https://autos.yahoo.com/2021-ford-f-150-powerboost-223100571.html

https://thatlifecars.wordpress.com/2020/11/11/2021-ford-f-150-powerboost-hybrid-ties-the-diesel-for-overall-fuel-economy/

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/ford-f-150-diesel-and-f-150-hybrid-pros-and-cons/

UPDATED INFO:

Far more details at this Ford Dealership web site based on them talking to Ford.

https://www.phillongford.com/new-ford-f-150-hybrid.htm

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

You JUST stated they achieve the same combined fuel economy. 

Just reporting what they say which is the gas engine / Hybrid system is a 23% increase in fuel efficiency putting it on par with the diesel.

Or another way to say that is that GAS was 23% less efficient than diesel till Ford applied a Hybrid solution to the gas engine. As such they are now on par.

You choose which way is understandable to you. :) 

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It doesn't say "23% increase in gasoline efficiency". It says, "fuel" which diesel would be a fuel. 

Stupid writing and intentionally poorly worded to make everything sound great. 

The third link posted is where they mention the 23% increase in gasoline efficiency. I followed their link and discovered more info which I updated the above post with the following:

UPDATED INFO:

Far more details at this Ford Dealership web site based on them talking to Ford.

Here based on the dealership talking to FORD and what Ford has released to them, they have far more detailed info about the Hybrid pickup and comparison to Diesel and they state the V6 Hybrid system is 23% more fuel efficient. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Per the following link https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1130266_r1t-and-r1s-electric-trucks-rivian-confirms-more-about-pricing-range-specs-ahead-of-orders

Seems Canada will now be able to order on November 23rd for deliveries starting in November 2021.

R1T Launch Edition starts at $75,000, a mid level version with deliveries in June 2021

R1S Launch Edition starts at $77,500, a mid level version with deliveries in August 2021

Both will launch with a 135 kWH battery pack that will get 300 plus miles on a charge based on the EPA testing scale.

Unlike GM Super Cruise or Ford's Active Drive Assist which is a package you have to pay for, Rivian is making their Driver+ a standard feature.

QUOTE:

Rivian notes that all of its vehicles will have a Driver+ feature described as “true hands-free driving assistance” that will be getting added functionality through over-the-air updates. With the redundancy of two computing platforms plus 12 ultrasonic sensors, 10 exterior cameras, and 5 radar units, it compares to most other systems but offers more sensing than Tesla’s Full Self-Driving suite.

• Agree 1

Hyundai Product Blitz News

Between today and December 31st 2021, Hyundai announced today a major product blitz of 12 new and significantly enhanced SUVs.

The 12 new SUV products over less than 15 months includes refined gasoline as well as new Hybrid, Plug-in, BEV and N Performance Models.

Tucson, Santa Fe, Kona, and Santa Cruz will be refreshed and or enhanced. A all new electrified SUV will also come out.

Quote:

Hyundai today announced a sustained and commanding product blitz of 12 new and enhanced SUVs continuing through the 2021 calendar year. The fresh pipeline of new SUV products will include new and refined internal combustion, hybrid, plug-in, BEV and N performance models. These models include the Tucson, Santa Fe, Kona, Santa Cruz and a new dedicated-platform, electrified Ioniq SUV, all of which feature new designs, eco powertrain availability and major platform options.

https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/releases/3192

• Agree 1

Porsche News

An interesting story came out today by Porsche about 15 concepts that they never showed off after building them. The one that is getting chatter online is their Electric Mini Van they built in 2018. You can also check out the Porsche 919 street car, Porsche Vision Spyder and more at the links below.

Update, seems if your looking at the various pictures, Porsche accidentally showed off the clay model of their 3rd EV the Porsche Macan SUV. While Porsche has pulled the image from their sites, the internet has already captured the image for life according to the pictures here at this link.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/37603/alleged-porsche-macan-ev-concept-model-accidentally-shown-in-now-retracted-photo

image.png

https://press.porsche.com/prod/presse_pag/PressResources.nsf/Content?ReadForm&languageversionid=1155872

https://www.porsche.com/australia/aboutporsche/pressreleases/pca/?id=617521&pool=international-de&lang=none

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/products/porsche-unseen-design-studies-car-visions-22865.html

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, David said:

The third link posted is where they mention the 23% increase in gasoline efficiency. I followed their link and discovered more info which I updated the above post with the following:

UPDATED INFO:

Here based on the dealership talking to FORD and what Ford has released to them, they have far more detailed info about the Hybrid pickup and comparison to Diesel and they state the V6 Hybrid system is 23% more fuel efficient. 

I think this bolded part is what you missed and makes way more sense now.

"Fuel economy alone, the F-150 Hybrid should improve city MPG by around 23%. This will translate into some pretty noticeable fuel pump savings."

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

^ But that's vs. the gas F-150, correct? A non-sequitur in a comparison between the Hybrid & TurboDiesel.

- - - - -
I saw the Ford linked page was touting the Hybrid's range as 700 miles! That's a pretty big smack-down of a 250-300 mile range in an EV truck.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, balthazar said:

^ But that's vs. the gas F-150, correct? A non-sequitur in a comparison between the Hybrid & TurboDiesel.

- - - - -
I saw the Ford linked page was touting the Hybrid's range as 700 miles! That's a pretty big smack-down of a 250-300 mile range in an EV truck.

That does seem correct as a 23% of 21mpg(diesel city rating) would be almost 5mpg meaning the hybrid would be rated 25.8mpg(round up or down and you can tell it isn't compared to the diesel). 

The hybrid is roughly 14% more efficient in its city rating than the diesel. 

• Agree 1