Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Fiat News: Fiat 500 Dropped from 2020 Lineup In North America

Drew Dowdell

Kid_Icarus_Reaper.pngThe Fiat 500 that helped re-launch the brand in North America has been dropped from the 2020 Fiat lineup according to FCA. The 500 has lingered on with poor sales for years, selling just 1,692 copies in the first six months of 2019. Existing supplies of the Fiat 500 will sustain what demand there is for the little car for months. Continuing on, though unsure as to why, will be the 500X, 500L, and 124 Spider. Why any of those vehicles are continuing while the 500 gets the scythe is unknown... all of them sell even worse than the 500 does. 

The 500 first came to the US in 2011 when gas prices were in the $4.00 range in certain parts of the country.  It initially enjoyed a bit of a sales rush with over 43,000 sold in 2012, the first full year on the market. That year, however, also turned out to be the best year as sales have been downhill since. We think this announcement, along with the fact that there is unlikely to be a followup to the 124 Spider, could be the beginning of the end of Fiat in the U.S..... again. 

View full article

25 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I'd like to see the CA part survive and thrive, though...

Yes, I was being very singular in the Fiat product line only and not any other auto line, though I would be fine with Alpha dying again.

Apparently no one at FCA understood that the USA hates small cars in general and city cars in particular.  FIAT and MINI are a total waste of resources that could go straight into better non-FIAT FCA products and BMW respectively.  Good riddance.

• Agree 2

Fiat is done in the USA, small cars don't do well here, and Fiat doesn't build good small cars either.   They are probably tied to the 124 Spider for a number of years in the deal with Mazda.  They could always pull the Fiat brand out of the USA and put a Dodge grille or emblem on a 500X or the Spider.  I think FCA overall has too many brands and too many models.  

• Agree 2

39 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Apparently no one at FCA understood that the USA hates small cars in general and city cars in particular.  FIAT and MINI are a total waste of resources that could go straight into better non-FIAT FCA products and BMW respectively.  Good riddance.

Correction. The USA hates unreliable small cars hence why Mini and Fiat are on the way out. 

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Fiat is done in the USA, small cars don't do well here, and Fiat doesn't build good small cars either.   They are probably tied to the 124 Spider for a number of years in the deal with Mazda.  They could always pull the Fiat brand out of the USA and put a Dodge grille or emblem on a 500X or the Spider.  I think FCA overall has too many brands and too many models.  

The 500X is just a rounder Jeep Renegade.  I doubt it would get a rebadge at all.....  Call it the Caliber maybe if they did do it. 

• Like 1