Genesis News: Genesis GV80 Leaks Out

Drew Dowdell

Genesis has been having a hard time keeping the lid on the GV80 leaks lately. A day after someone leaked grainy pictures of the GV80 on Instagram, someone sent 4 pictures of the interior and exterior over to Car and Driver who published them for all the world to see.

The GV80 is Genesis' first entry into the hot SUV market and enters the segment currently occupied by the Mercedes Benz GLE, the Audi Q7, BMW X5, and Lincoln Aviator. It rides on the same rear wheel drive platform as the next generation G80 sedan due out next year. The main powerplant will be a 3.3-liter turbocharged V6 which in the G80 currently makes 365 horsepower, but could go up in this application. There's also the possibility of a turbo 4-cylinder or a naturally aspirated V6 as a base engine. 

It's said to have driver assistance systems similar to Telsa autopilot which would be a first for Genesis. 

For now, most of this is rumor and speculation as we wait for the official reveal next month. The GV80 is expected to go on sale Summer of 2020.

genesis-gv80-leak-front-1575477243.jpg

genesis-gv80-leak-rear-1575477142.jpg

genesis-gv80-leak-interior-1575477142.jpeg

genesis-gv80-leak-steering-wheel-1575477142.jpeg

View full article

Big grille....narrow lights...kind of like the lighting.  Clean and minimal inside, looks like.   Interesting to hear it will be based on the RWD car platform, I had assumed they would have made a upmarket version of Palisade/Telluride. 

Maybe it needs to seen without the “camo” but ugh, that does not look very good on first impressions. Hate leaked shots though because of shots like these. They never really make the cars look good at all. The front end resembles the XT6 in a bad way here. Decent interior it seems but the whole thing seems to be a swing and miss in the looks department.

I really like the looks both exterior and interior. Should do well for competition.

One does have to wonder how the guy checking out the inside of the GV80 does not see the guy behind the auto taking pictures.

I do have to wonder how they do not keep control on phones in the work place especially with a new product launch.

I was wondering when Genesis would have a CUV.  While RWD is generally a good thing, sales of this RWD GV80 may not be as healthy as Genesis hopes. 

The original SRX was RWD and sales were lackluster, at least compared to its FWD successor and the modern XT5.  BMW RWD CUVs do not outsell the Lexus FWD CUVs at all, after all these years.

7 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

I was wondering when Genesis would have a CUV.  While RWD is generally a good thing, sales of this RWD GV80 may not be as healthy as Genesis hopes. 

Seems like they are targeting BMW and M-B specifically....Genesis sedans are RWD/AWD also.   Lexus' RX may be higher volume, but I wouldn't seriously compare it to the GLE or X5/X6...

Edited by Robert Hall

Wow some comparison posts on here are WAY off.

Back-end not bad if not a bit bland, but the front end with that huge chrome G90-esque grille is hideous. Looks like this is going to be the theme for the Genesis line from now on.

Edited by USA-1