Sales: December 2019 Sales Figure Ticker

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

It is not 5-6 bucks a tank more for premium in a Silverado.

28 gallon tank * $0.60 premium = $16.80 per tank. 

If your premium isn't 0.60 we can do $0.50 = $14.00 per tank

usually in my neck, premium is +40 over regular at most typical stations but i get most of my fillups now at costco.  Premium at Costco most days is about 20 cents higher than regular at typical stations.  You can argue the true cost of a costco membership, but if you are getting one already due to the great meat, big ass cheesecake and pumpkin pie, and the GM costco rebate potential, then it can help save on premium.

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Who actually fills up the tank two or three times a week, maybe the mailman or a police officer in a Tahoe PPV?! LOL!!

I do.  My commute is over 40 miles one way.  

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Not really an anomaly to the rest of the country. Attached a couple more Gas Buddy shots from Top Tier gas stations in the NW part of the country for you. You're getting railed on gasoline in STL apparently. I know LA is a ridiculous anomaly the other way, but everything in So. Cal is ridiculous.   

It's been a 26 gal. tank for decades in the Silverado and Sierra double and crew cab short and standard bed, 34 gal. for long bed. https://g.co/kgs/coqM6M Ford and Dodge were the same, pretty industry standard. The T1 CC SB might have gone to a slightly smaller tank from 26 to 24 gal., which would make it even less $ per tank.

Screenshot_20200108-152739.thumb.png.dcbf4e911f5f220e180ef0ffb89b3b0e.pngScreenshot_20200108-152645.thumb.png.7f04d90d9681fe1c4f7e4f2b8558ee66.png

Maybe you didn't realize the 2019 Silverado is brand new and the "been for decades" thing is irrelevant. 

You also must be picky and choosey with your STL prices as I drove past two stations this morning at 2.29/gal. 

Here is a REAL image of gasoline prices in the STL area, not whatever you are looking for.

714554334_STLGasPries.thumb.JPG.e206c2938c53728c9297cff85f62727b.JPG

Even premium prices are lower that whatever you were searching for.

1113387289_STLGasPriesPremium.thumb.JPG.bc82551172c21af54e4e3132d819aa4b.JPG 

13 hours ago, regfootball said:

usually in my neck, premium is +40 over regular at most typical stations but i get most of my fillups now at costco.  Premium at Costco most days is about 20 cents higher than regular at typical stations.  You can argue the true cost of a costco membership, but if you are getting one already due to the great meat, big ass cheesecake and pumpkin pie, and the GM costco rebate potential, then it can help save on premium.

That's a very reasonable price and especially if you have a membership, get your gas there as well. 

15 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Why are we basing fuel costs with how big a gasoline tank is?

Because he said "5--6 bucks per tank". 

@ccap41 Oh gotcha so you're basing your "argument" on one article that you posted stating that the national average is $.60 more for premium and not what you would pay? WOW! Also, I never looked at your STL prices, but one would think you would have. Nobody cares what the national average is, they care about their home state current fuel prices and what they would pay like I originally stated.:duh:

Since you brought it up, it is very relevant that the standard GM truck fuel tank has been 26 gallons for decades because there are still MILLIONS of those GMT400, GMT800, GMT900, GMTK2XX trucks STILL OUT THERE on the road with that exact size fuel tank in place. Google that. 

It's obvious that you've never had a fast truck that performs really well and that's too bad because it's a blast and my performance vehicle isn't a truck anyway, but you know that...

"nobody cares what the national average is" 

uhhh.. how else would we all compare prices/costs when we all live in different locations? 

Still, you should have looked up the vehicle we're talking about. 24 or 28 gallon tanks. 

Yeah, on a performance vehicle I am all for paying whatever premium as it isn't driven 100% of the time and it's all out of pure enjoyment. Buuuuut... we're talking about a stock Silverado 6.2. That is not what I could classify as a "fast truck". It is very quick and serves its job exceptionally but, imo, it doesn't warrant the premium fuel prices. 

17 hours ago, balthazar said:

If every EV owner did this, the public chargers would all be completely empty til at least noon.
Wonder why I always see them with at least a half dozen cars there at 9AM?

That is just proof of Humanity Laziness.

17 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Who actually fills up the tank two or three times a week, maybe the mailman or a police officer in a Tahoe PPV?! LOL!!

That would be a boring A to B drive for you then :D

The extra dough is totally worth it to me, life is too short to spend it in a boring A to B car everyday. My LS1 5.7L singing the SBC melody while running on Premium or my Silvy 6.2L SBC, Tuned and running on Premium? Yeah, totally worth it. Same if not better mileage and the performance gains in my truck on a Premium tune compared to even a Stock tune is pretty significant. Of course I'm running an Airaid CAI kit and Magnaflow exhaust with the tune to complete it 😎

I actually fill up my SS every 4 to 5 days. But then I have fun driving it. :P 

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I actually fill up my SS every 4 to 5 days. But then I have fun driving it. :P 

Once a week is pretty normal, same here 5 to 6 days. Yes, it is fun! :P:D

Edited by USA-1

3 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

I honestly think everyone should get their auto's dialed in as the OEM just does not get the performance fun level out of the engine that 3rd party folks can. Zoom Zoom

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

"nobody cares what the national average is" 

uhhh.. how else would we all compare prices/costs when we all live in different locations? 

Still, you should have looked up the vehicle we're talking about. 24 or 28 gallon tanks. 

Yeah, on a performance vehicle I am all for paying whatever premium as it isn't driven 100% of the time and it's all out of pure enjoyment. Buuuuut... we're talking about a stock Silverado 6.2. That is not what I could classify as a "fast truck". It is very quick and serves its job exceptionally but, imo, it doesn't warrant the premium fuel prices. 

You started comparing the national "average" price. I made a comment on my local premium fuel prices and what I pay, and your head exploded. 

I was never talking about the T1 2019 Silverado, you brought it up and made that comparison. I have a K2 2018 so...

So, apparently you didn't see right above this post where I stated that my 6.2L Silverado is Tuned for Premium with an Airaid CAI kit and Magnaflow exhaust?! Tune and bolt on's make a huge difference and are far from stock.

Edited by USA-1

35 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I honestly think everyone should get their auto's dialed in as the OEM just does not get the performance fun level out of the engine that 3rd party folks can. Zoom Zoom

Exactly! My tuned 6.2L is totally woken up with a snappier throttle and gets the same if not better mpg's. The OEM's want to get every last drop of fuel savings that they can, but the aftermarket guys adjust the timing and fuel delivery even more precisely. I took the front lower air-dam off as well and it looks so much better with the TrailMaster 2.25' Leveling kit I installed, just that much more ground clearance. It probably eeked out another 0.25 mpg with it on in stock form :roflmao:

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Just... never mind...

Good idea...best one yet...

Edited by USA-1

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

That's because OEM's have to warranty their products for years and tens of thousands of miles. 

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

That's because OEM's have to warranty their products for years and tens of thousands of miles. 

Yet they build the Corvette which proves they could make the ultimate performance in every product they sell if they wanted too. Must be a bean counter looking at 1/4 pennies of profit for them to not do it.

4 hours ago, USA-1 said:

...the standard GM truck fuel tank has been 26 gallons for decades because there are still MILLIONS of those GMT400, GMT800, GMT900, GMTK2XX trucks STILL OUT THERE on the road with that exact size fuel tank in place.

I have a GM pickup, (I think it’s the GMT800), and it has a 34 gal tank. 😉

24 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I have a GM pickup, (I think it’s the GMT800), and it has a 34 gal tank. 😉

Yep, 34 gal. is the larger gas tank that I mentioned earlier. The 26 gal. tank is the standard most used tank and the one I have in my 2018 K2.

23 hours ago, USA-1 said:

It's been a 26 gal. tank for decades in the Silverado and Sierra double and crew cab short and standard bed, 34 gal. is optional and/or in long bed models. https://g.co/kgs/coqM6M

Edited by USA-1

37 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yet they build the Corvette which proves they could make the ultimate performance in every product they sell if they wanted too. Must be a bean counter looking at 1/4 pennies of profit for them to not do it.

Of course warranties are about bean counters, i the end. Had Hyundai and Kia not thrown massive warranties on their vehicles, they never would have taken off. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yep, bean counters and GM is too big or builds too many vehicles to hold to their DOT/DOE CAFE number with more V8 or performance oriented models to sell. All the higher-end GM V8 models (or any manf. with a thirsty V8) have the gas guzzler tax as well so that kills it for a lot of people too.

Edited by USA-1

5 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Yeah...twice a week is not far fetched.  I said thrice a week is not far fetched either. Which is not.

But...simple math.

I know people, many people, that do gas up twice a week.  

To fill up, in your case, 30 days...would be 6 times.  About. 

So its 60.  I said 80 dollars.   

60  dollars is still pricey per month for nothing...  

But...the premise was 10 bucks. And that 10 bucks is nothing. But it aint 10 bucks.  And with my twice/week would be 20 bucks as opposed to your fill-up schedule. 

That would be 720 bucks more over the course of the year for you, but it would be 960 bucks to other people I know...

Still...720 bucks, is a lot of coin. Even for people that have no cash flow problems to swallow just to give it to Big Oil just to fill-up their ride to go from point A to point B stuck in traffic or driving in slow in school zones just because their ride takes premium gasoline...  In other words, there is no SAFE enthusiastic driving going on with that so called enthusiastic ride that takes premium gasoline...   (Unless the daily driven ride is for your job/business then its a necessity more than anything else and no choice but to drive daily that vehicle) 

Ive had conversations in here regarding car depreciation and how people try to skimp and save. 

This conversation is no different.  

People value different things. People like to put their money in different areas. Which is cool.  All is good.

I aint preachin' my way is better. Alls Im sayin' is that:

For me...I dont necessarily value a premium gasolined vehicle for daily driven purposes if I dont have to...

To put this conversation in perspective. 

I put premium in my Acura.  

I used to put premium in my 2005 Impala SS.  My previous ride.  

Im just viewing this in another angle that actually does not really represent me personally. 

• Thanks 1

Reality is complex.  Everyone’s use case is different.  I fill up when it’s down to 1/4 or 1/8th of a tank. Maybe every 2 to 2 1/2 weeks, more often in summer.  About $60 or so.   It is what it is. The Jeep is fine on 87. 

Edited by Robert Hall

19 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Reality is complex.  Everyone’s use case is different.  I fill up when it’s down to 1/4 or 1/8th of a tank. Maybe every 2 to 2 1/2 weeks, more often in summer.  About $60 or so.   It is what it is. The Jeep is fine on 87. 

I dont travel far. I gas up EXACTLY like you. Every 2 weeks. Give or take a day or two.   I have gotten lazy with that schedule so I fill-up to the brim almost spilling it and I drive it to the absolute end....almost empty.   Yes...I know not good for the car when you do that.    Oh well...

Im sure the Acura is fine with 87... I know the Acura requires premium but I think the Acura's  driver's manual states that 87 will not produce knocks but I also seem to remember reading that one has to put premium more often than 87...or something like that ..   I put the "good stuff"  in it  all the time...   Why take a chance?  But then again, I drive it to empty more often than not also, so...   Where is my logic?     

Here I am, making a federal case about premium versus regular and how many times/week equals what amount one pays extra and stuff and how I prefer NOT to pay for premium but I actually do and then I drive it to empty...just because...

Reality is complex....

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2

Yeah, with working from home some weeks I don’t drive at all Monday-Thursday.  Or I drive a few miles some days.  I think my sister’s hooptie STS uses premium. I drive it occasionally to keep the battery strong and the tires round. 

Edited by Robert Hall

4 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Yeah...I said thrice a week is not far fetched either. Which is not.

60  dollars is still pricey per month for nothing... 

Three times a week is pretty far fetched for most people. Now, in Canadia (sp on purpose) you might have to drive a lot further to do business or get to work. :D

It's definitely not for nothing, premium makes a huge difference with performance especially in a vehicle with an engine that runs a lot better or requires it per the timing or higher compression ratio. Now, it is absolutely a waste of money to run premium in a car or truck that's not tuned for it or doesn't require it.

In the end, it's my money and my business. I have and do invest a lot of money in some great annuity funds so I know what I have to "burn" on premium gasoline in my rides.   

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I do the 1/4 tank fill-up as well especially in the C5 being that it is a tall and narrow tank behind the driver and passenger. Usually better for the fuel pump even though most are pretty low in the tank, it's a peace of mind thing too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dfelt said:

I mean... I get that but not everything can be 60-100k and 500-700hp.. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 9:06 PM, balthazar said:

Ahh; but you implied they were the same vehicle.
Aviator interior / Explorer interior - not seeing anything carried over :

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 9.03.55 PM.png

'20 mercedes GLE competes directly with the Lincoln Aviator (MSRP base - L: $51.1K, MB: $53.7K).
But the merceds is down on HP (L: 400-494, MB: 362-480), has a shorter wheelbase & less leg room, has 1 less gear, and frankly it just seems dated; like daimler has been using the same recipe for a decade & a half now. Aviator is extremely fresh and you can see the effort Lincoln put into it just from a quick walk-around.

Even a die hard anti Ford guy like myself can't help but be hugely impressed by how nice a job they have done with the current Lincoln SUV"'s. Back in our horribly contorted threads about the conti, I  stated that Lincolns design language worked well on the SUV's but not the cars.I stand behind that statement. Lincoln gets a big bravo from me, actually, for their SUV's.

On 1/10/2020 at 10:31 AM, balthazar said:

With a 15-gal 'cushion' in my tank, I run it down til the 'low fuel' light blazes for a day, then I fill it to the brim, every time.
Amounts to around $55 every week & a half.

Worth if for a work truck...

On 1/9/2020 at 8:10 PM, oldshurst442 said:

Amen brother!

I will second that Amen. 

On 1/9/2020 at 9:36 AM, ccap41 said:

IMO, life is too short to piss money down the drain on premium vs regular for a non-performance vehicle...like a truck.. 

I run regular gas frequently in my beetle no problem, it has the GTI motor and should take premium. Especially for interstate road trips, zero difference, moderate drop in performance. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Today was one of those days where I filled up at half a tank because I may get stuck in snow/sleet/ice traffic on my way home and HOPEFULLY that doesn't happen but if it were to, I can sit for a day idling. 

Also, gas in Missouri is almost $0.30 cheaper than where I'm at in Illinois. 

On the Florida to Ohio road trip this past weekend I would fill up at 1/2 tank.  The Trax has a small gas tank and gets good mileage, so refilling at the half mark was a good time to stop and get out..  For February, I lucked out with good weather most of the trip, other than the 1st 200 miles in FL which was heavy rain Friday night...

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Even a die hard anti Ford guy like myself can't help but be hugely impressed by how nice a job they have done with the current Lincoln SUV"'s. Back in our horribly contorted threads about the conti, I  stated that Lincolns design language worked well on the SUV's but not the cars.I stand behind that statement. Lincoln gets a big bravo from me, actually, for their SUV's.

Worth if for a work truck...

I will second that Amen. 

I run regular gas frequently in my beetle no problem, it has the GTI motor and should take premium. Especially for interstate road trips, zero difference, moderate drop in performance. 

Welcome back Horse, you been missed! :D 

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

On the Florida to Ohio road trip this past weekend I would fill up at 1/2 tank.  The Trax has a small gas tank and gets good mileage, so refilling at the half mark was a good time to stop and get out..  For February, I lucked out with good weather most of the trip, other than the 1st 200 miles in FL which was heavy rain Friday night...

Same here, when you have either a large tank or a very efficient small auto, you still need to get out and stretch the legs. Half tank is how i do all road trips as I get 500 miles on a tank in my Escalade, so might as well stretch at the 250 mile mark. Then always full tank so no need to worry where the next gas station is when driving in new areas.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Welcome back Horse, you been missed! :D 

Same here, when you have either a large tank or a very efficient small auto, you still need to get out and stretch the legs. Half tank is how i do all road trips as I get 500 miles on a tank in my Escalade, so might as well stretch at the 250 mile mark. Then always full tank so no need to worry where the next gas station is when driving in new areas.

I was able to adjust the seat and everything to be reasonably comfortable in the Trax...first 1000+ mile trip I've done in a 4cyl vehicle in probably 30 years.   The biggest annoyance was the relatively hard steering wheel, my hands got sore gripping it after a while..  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I was able to adjust the seat and everything to be reasonably comfortable in the Trax...first 1000+ mile trip I've done in a 4cyl vehicle in probably 30 years.   The biggest annoyance was the relatively hard steering wheel, my hands got sore gripping it after a while..  

Does it have the finger knobs on the back side? My Escalade and SS both have that knobby back side that allows the fingers to have a good grip without gripping hard. As such, when I last drove my old suburban before putting up on blocks I was surprised how much tighter I had to grip the steering wheel.

52 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Does it have the finger knobs on the back side? My Escalade and SS both have that knobby back side that allows the fingers to have a good grip without gripping hard. As such, when I last drove my old suburban before putting up on blocks I was surprised how much tighter I had to grip the steering wheel.

Yeah, it does...and the thumb recesses at 10 and 12...definitely not bad...definitely worlds better than olden days of  huge steering wheels w/ thin, hard rims..

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, it does...and the thumb recesses at 10 and 12...definitely not bad...definitely worlds better than olden days of  huge steering wheels w/ thin, hard rims..

Awesome to hear, that does make a big difference in road trips. Thanks for the info.

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings