Ram News: 2021 Ram 1500 TRX Continues FCA's Hellcat Obsession

William Maley

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Not a fan of the Bronco? 

Naw, it was exciting when I saw the concept in the movie Rampage, but this to me already looks dated and needs an update on that Front end.

Do not get me wrong the off road capabilities are great, but the front and back of the 21st century Bronco just do nothing for me. It is like 20th century lipstick, face and butt on a 21st century body.

• Disagree 1

53 minutes ago, David said:

Naw, it was exciting when I saw the concept in the movie Rampage, but this to me already looks dated and needs an update on that Front end.

Do not get me wrong the off road capabilities are great, but the front and back of the 21st century Bronco just do nothing for me. It is like 20th century lipstick, face and butt on a 21st century body.

I believe you're the first/only person I've talked to that doesn't like it and I talk to plenty of fanboys of their respective brands. I thought it was quite unanimous that they hit it out of the ballpark outside of the IFS for those serious off-roaders. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I believe you're the first/only person I've talked to that doesn't like it and I talk to plenty of fanboys of their respective brands. I thought it was quite unanimous that they hit it out of the ballpark outside of the IFS for those serious off-roaders. 

I believe from an Engineering standpoint that Ford did Hit it out of the ball park for capability and good for them. GM should have done this Long ago via GMC with a Jeep rival product.

I just think the style of the front and back is the failure here for me.

I never cared a lick for the original Bronco- it's a cardboard box. Would 1000 times have taken an F-100 over it merely on styling alone.
RE the '21; I've only looked at a few pics here, would prefer to see it in person. But I think it's a LOT better executed (again: stylistically) in '21 than the '66 was in '66.

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I wrote this when Ford first introduced the Bronco about a month ago:

On 7/14/2020 at 12:02 AM, oldshurst442 said:

I want to like it.

New Ford Bronco - 2021 Ford Bronco Details, News, Photos, More

Its nice and all...but Im not feelin' it.

I do not know why.   But there is something amiss for me.   I think its because I really really like the Jeep.

Take a look at 75 years of Jeep - Business Insider

And I really really like this concept. And it even aint about the 392 cubic inch V8 either.

V8-Powered Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept Revealed On Bronco's ...

But Im sure the Bronco will grow on me.  Its a good looking ride despite me not being immediately smitten by it!   

2021 Ford Bronco: What We Know So Far

And a month later, I still havent 100% warmed over on it.  I like it...but I dont love it. And I really really prefer the Jeep. And to be honest, I prefer the decades  old HUMMER  HX concept over the Bronco.   

I do prefer the Bronco over the Toyota FJ Cruiser though.

Anyway, with all said and done, The Hellcat TRX, the Ford Raptor and any lifted Jeep Wrangler  would be my offroading choice  for new vehicles.

If I was doing a project offroader, I think Id do a late 1970s -1980s Toyota Hilux or 4Runner.  Or most probably, JEEP...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Sigh... a 1966 Ford Bronco, for those who haven't a clue ~

14445129-1966-ford-bronco-std.jpg

So because he doesn’t care for the throwback look, he doesn’t have a clue? Referring to a 54 year old version of it doesn’t really take away from his complaint. I’m with Balth on this. While nostalgic, that thing was a pile back in the day, even by 1966 standards. Of course, some don’t have a clue and just cling to the old ways and the old days.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Eh; Wranglers are cardboard boxes, too. The look tough but I hated the one I was in a few years ago.

But I'll give the '21 Bronco the benefit of the doubt that it's more user-friendly than a Wrangler, and for sure Ford will have the upper hand on customization over the Jeep. Hopefully, a lot more modern AND capable.
But this is not a segment that interests me- never been an off-road guy.

Im not really a truck guy, SUV or pick-up. Im only now embracing the fullsized pick-up truck as a daily driving ride.  

I work on the premise that pick-up trucks or SUVs are tough as nails and are work horses.  Which leads to them being lifted and offroaded.  But, because Im a muscle car guy,  a pick-up truck that works on those muscle principles works well for me also.  Lightning, SRT-10, Chevy C/K 454SS.  Lil Red Wagon.  

A Raptor or TRX is the PERFECT mix for me.  Muscle through and through and lifted.

But MOPAR has FoMoCo and Chevy beat hands down in that regard for me.   SRT-10 RAM a decade ago and now a Hellcat TRX has captured my heart of over the Lightning and Raptor.  Chevy it seems only had the 454SS it seems...  Maybe there was a muscle Silverado 15 years ago. I remember something vaguely...

As far as the smaller offroaders.  Yeah. I think this is a cool segment. Not my style really. You know, muscle cars is how I roll. But, I really really enjoy the lifted Jeep/lifted Hilux/4Runner segment of enthusiast motoring.  

About that TRX though.

Its got the muscle car looks, cartoony name, aura.  

Its got the muscle under the hood.

Its lifted and is a bonafide offroader as well as a very quick accelerating ride.  (muscle...)  

What is there NOT to like?  (for me)  (I really dont care what anybody else thinks of it. The TRX is a really really awesome ride) 

PS:  I never understood the 1st gen Bronco.   I didnt like it then. I dont like it now.  I do like this new Bronco though. More the Jeep. 

F250 from the mid '70s as BigFoot is what I think about for offroading from Ford in that era.  And this is how the Hilux/4Runner gets into my mix.  And originally starting that would be my love for WW2 history and hence the Jeep.  And from there we get the Dodge Power Wagon and so forth and so forth... 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

some don’t have a clue

No they don't, if they are mystified as to where Ford got their inspiration for the "front end" of the Bronco, as it was put.  There are plenty of coherent reasons why the new Bronco looks like it does.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

No they don't, if they are mystified as to where Ford got their inspiration for the "front end" of the Bronco, as it was put.  There are plenty of coherent reasons why the new Bronco looks like it does.

Except he never he said he was mystified as to where they got the inspiration from. He actually made it pretty clear that it was 20th century inspiration on a 21st century body And it doesn’t really work for him. Seems that point flew right over your head.

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

Eh; Wranglers are cardboard boxes, too. The look tough but I hated the one I was in a few years ago.

But I'll give the '21 Bronco the benefit of the doubt that it's more user-friendly than a Wrangler, and for sure Ford will have the upper hand on customization over the Jeep. Hopefully, a lot more modern AND capable.
But this is not a segment that interests me- never been an off-road guy.

Twelve years in Arizona and tons of Wranglers rolling around, clean as a whistle with not a speck of off road dirt to be seen on them. Take that however you want.

• Agree 1

There are many things.   The new Bronco definitely has a retro modern feel, some touches from the '66-77 1st gen Bronco.   It's not quite as retro as the modern Challenger is or the '05-09 Mustang was, though, IMO. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

End Result:

• Seeing the videos on the Rubicon Trail show the NEW Bronco has the Goods to play in the tough parts of the World. 
    • Give them all the credit for delivering the hardware
  • Front end and Back end still dislike and I think they could have done better than a retro mod of them. 
    • Like I said, a 20th Century front and rear on a 21st century modern 4x4 that DOES NOT WORK FOR ME!!!

9 minutes ago, David said:

• Like I said, a 20th Century front and rear on a 21st century modern 4x4 that DOES NOT WORK FOR ME!!!

Some like retro styling, some don't.   Time will tell as to how it does in the market.   You couldn't fit in it anyway, so it's a moot point for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'd love to see Chevy bring back the Blazer name for an off-road capable 2dr full size SUV,  or as a midsize 2dr SUV based on the Colorado.

It's a great name wasted on a generic appliance as it is now, IMO.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

I'd love to see Chevy bring back the Blazer name for an off-road capable 2dr full size SUV.  It's a great name wasted on a generic appliance as it is now, IMO.   Or as a midsize 2dr SUV based on the Colorado.

I am at that stage in life where a Full size 4wd SUV in 2 Door trim makes sense more than a 4 door or Suburban length does.

2 hours ago, ykX said:

2021 Ford F-150 Raptor Will Have 700+ HP Supercharged V8 from Mustang GT500

https://www.thedrive.com/news/35890/2021-ford-f-150-raptor-will-have-700-hp-supercharged-v8-from-mustang-gt500-report

I think Ford would be smart to continue a lesser Raptor with the 3.5 at a more reasonable price and then the s/c 5.2 for a 5-10k premium. 

The current Raptor starts at 54k in SuperCab without extra options and the TRX starts at 72k. There is definitely room to keep a lesser Raptor around the 55k range and then something pricier to compete with the TRX. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I think Ford would be smart to continue a lesser Raptor with the 3.5 at a more reasonable price and then the s/c 5.2 for a 5-10k premium. 

The current Raptor starts at 54k in SuperCab without extra options and the TRX starts at 72k. There is definitely room to keep a lesser Raptor around the 55k range and then something pricier to compete with the TRX. 

But remember, someone here says everything has to have Turbo charged V8 to be the best or else it is nothing. ;) 

27 minutes ago, David said:

But remember, someone here says everything has to have Turbo charged V8 to be the best or else it is nothing. ;) 

Maybe they finally said "screw it" and "EcoBoosted" the 5.0!?! Haha I doubt it but there's still a chance until there's an official reveal.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I understand the Super Cab Raptor is no more, IIRC.