Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Info Updates on Chevrolet EV's

David

Lots of interesting stuff happening as GM by divisions starts to release more info on their EV programs.

First is a interesting video on their Ultium batteries. This clearly shows how versatile they can build the battery packs.

https://plants.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/bcportal.html/currentVideoId/6157651202001/currentChannelId/Most Recent.gsaOff.html

They have released a video of a side profile of the new Chevrolet Bolt morphing into the Bolt EUV. I was able to download the video and as such, way more visual detail than on the posted web sites below are showing.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.html

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33799068/chevy-2022-bolt-bolt-euv-tease/

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/08/26/2022-chevy-bolt-euv-teaser-video/

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/08/chevrolet-teases-2022-bolt-euv-and-ev-confirms-super-cruise-for-electric-suv/

https://insideevs.com/news/440899/chevrolet-bolt-euv-production-summer-2021/

Have to say the upcoming update to the Chevrolet Bolt and the EUV is nice looking and should sell even better than the old Bolt. Truly a much more CUV look.

15 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Ultium, not 'Ultima'.

Ultium is also a brand of Purina horse feed.

https://www.purinamills.com/horse-feed/products/detail/purina-ultium-competition-horse-formula

I was thinking Ultima was a battery brand, but that's Optima..

Still very cool what GM has created with their versatile battery cells.

I am also curious to see what else they have done with the redesigned Bolt / Bolt EUV.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Sad Chevy let Hyundai troll them by switching a silhouette photo of the recently obsolete, stale, Hyundai Santa Fe Sport for the real Bolt EUV.  Oh wait...

s-l640.png

You mean the same design language used by just about everyone these days?

Seriously, it is sad how someone always talks about "America first" and "buy American" when its convenient to them yet slams it at every turn because, oh my god, EVs. Troll somewhere the F else for once.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 2

Are you guys becoming the new tag team to replace Fap Turbo and Blake Noble in here?

1 minute ago, surreal1272 said:

looks like at least half a dozen other CUVs because that's the design theme these days, homogenous. 

Exactly.  Which proves my point... it is dumber on Chevy's part to copy the silhouette of an obsolete Hyundai on a product that Barra wants SO BADLY to sell well, despite all odds against it!

• Disagree 3

6 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Seriously, it is sad how someone always talks about "America first" and "buy American" when its convenient to them yet slams it at every turn because, oh my god, EVs. Troll somewhere the F else for once.

How about... "F" no.  If I want GM to be more than everyone else, I will say so.  This silhouette photo is not the least bit groundbreaking, new, or remotely interesting.  It is derivative, lazy, and copycat.  Not a good look after all the empty promises Barra's made recently.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 3

33 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Are you guys becoming the new tag team to replace Fap Turbo and Blake Noble in here?

Exactly.  Which proves my point... it is dumber on Chevy's part to copy the silhouette of an obsolete Hyundai on a product that Barra wants SO BADLY to sell well, despite all odds against it!

You might have a point except for one simple little fact. The fact is that it could look like the most ground breaking design ever and you would still take a dump on it because of its power train.

And we are just talking about a silhouette here and a CUV on top of that. ALL CUVs have that same basic profile much like how all pick ups basically have the same damn profile. It’s literally by design. How much more “groundbreaking” could it possibly be? Again, the design wouldn’t really matter anyway. You will never accept it. Stop trying to act like you are giving some kind of “objective” opinion here when your history suggests otherwise.

Oh and I don’t know what you are talking about in regards to the stupid “tag team” remark. I don’t care what someone else does here and I am not bound by any of their posts, votes, or anything else for that matter. Stop being so thin skinned.

24 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

How about... "F" no.  If I want GM to be more than everyone else, I will say so.  This silhouette photo is not the least bit groundbreaking, new, or remotely interesting.  It is derivative, lazy, and copycat.  Not a good look after all the empty promises Barra's made recently.

And you missed that point by a mile. It wasn’t just about the Bolt. It’s your general disdain for EVs, even when they are AMERICAN companies. You bash them at every chance yet will bitch on other threads about buying American and America first.

’F” that.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

Interesting how someone will preach about buy America, bitch about an American company and yet also has bought multiple non-American auto's including his mother's auto. 

So much for supporting America.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, balthazar said:

You have to admit: he's got you there. ;)

You forgot about this one too.

36 minutes ago, David said:

Interesting how someone will preach about buy America, bitch about an American company and yet also has bought multiple non-American auto's including his mother's auto. 

So much for supporting America.

• Agree 1

LOL in regards to what "auto" my mother drives... what was that lame excuse about a white dash being the "reason" the statue's wife doesn't have a Chevy Bolt?  Gotta keep 'em happy, RIGHT?  Despite EV being the second coming of Christ?  And you owning ZERO fuel efficient "auto's" (gotta have that inappropriate apostrophe) ?  Pot meet kettle.

Just to be clear, if it were an interesting profile photo, I would have remained silent until further ammunition was passed my way.  As it is, it was pounce-worthy right out of the gate.  An over-inflated Bolt on roller skates.  Blah.

I like how surreal tried to dig himself out of his design derivation hole comment with a more closely aimed edit fired at me.  But it was captured for posteriors posterity.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

LOL in regards to what "auto" my mother drives... what was that lame excuse about a white dash being the "reason" the statue's wife doesn't have a Chevy Bolt?  Gotta keep 'em happy, RIGHT?  Despite EV being the second coming of Christ?  And you owning ZERO fuel efficient "auto's" (gotta have that inappropriate apostrophe) ?  Pot meet kettle.

Just to be clear, if it were an interesting profile photo, I would have remained silent until further ammunition was passed my way.  As it is, it was pounce-worthy right out of the gate.  An over-inflated Bolt on roller skates.  Blah.

I like how surreal tried to dig himself out of his design derivation hole comment with a more closely aimed edit fired at me.  But it was captured for posteriors posterity.

And YOU have used degrading terms for woman to try and justify an unwarranted hatred of not being blu's way. If you had a partner, you might understand the love one has to have their mate happy. 

I also have not hopped from auto to auto to auto compared to some that want instant gratification. I see what is coming and CHOOSE to wait to have the wife happy and achieve my own desires. 

So are you going to HATE as much on Hummer by GMC, Hummer ev, H as you have on GM's Bolt?

I remember once that YOU and I both did not like the Aluminum bed of the Ford F-150's and while they have seemed to hold up, YOU and I both still preferred STEEL bed over ALUMINUM.

Yet Aluminum is now very common and seems to be surviving as a high strength metal in Auto's and forecast's seem to have it gain even more use along with carbon fiber as a way to make auto's lighter and still strong. 

So I wonder how many years before you flip on going from ICE to EV's once some instant gratification tickles your fancy. 🤔

I will give you credit for standing your ground on your hatred for all things EV. 

I once thought like you but as I learned more and more about EV's I see more positive than negative. I also see like Baby Boomers who have resisted change and acceptance of technology, they are left behind and eventually disappear as we all will.

Live your life to the fullest, as I will mine and I will enjoy the changes that the modern tech world brings with diversity in a Multi-Cultural world of Color. The variety of life that various Foods, Auto's, to cloths, furniture, etc. brings.

Viva la EV's. 

image.png

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

How does anyone make EVs stand out without alienating potential buyers these days?  Real Q for anyone.

I think the answer will be in having them look normal like any other auto and not looking weird like the Leaf has looked. Nissan already has stated the Leaf will not move into the future with their EV product roadmap. They will have their EV's look exactly like the regular ICE auto's. 

I think that will end up changing people perception. Once someone gets in an auto they like the look of, drives it, they might or might not realize it is electric.

I think they will then see a larger change over. This will also require the dealerships to educate their sales staff on the subtle differences between the auto due to the powertrain differences.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

EVs are... just are. 

The technology behind what makes EVs tick will just improve as time goes by.  (I didnt say anything special, its just how it goes with technology.)  

EVs are... just are.   

As many people pushing forward with them, there are people that are against them and wish EVs gone...

Will EVs survive the next decade?

Will ICE survive the next decade?

Socio-economic realities will dictate who wins this battle in the coming decade...

What do manufacturers have to do not to alienate possible EV consumers?

Like any other vehicle or product sold for the consumption of the mass public whether it be a car, a toaster or a tampon :   Its all about the product itself.   MARKETING 101

For an EV car:

Its got to be desirable.

Its got to be user friendly.   In the US, many anti-EVers put a lot of hindering spikes to prevent EV infrastructure to happen....and all kinds of excuses are being disingenuously spewed...

EVs...are just are.

They already perform like ICE cars.  Just a few tweaks here and there, small concessions to be made to be livable day to day. Nothing major really.  If we are really honest about it...   

EVs are...just are.  

Different buying options are missing at this point in time.  Its just Tesla really.  And those have proven to be...quite awesome actually. But, they do have their faults.  Not the tech.   The tech is superior to anything else out there today.  Its the car building are that Tesla lacks.   

Because the tech is sooooo much more advanced than their rivals, that their rivals dont stand a chance of selling right about now.  But because Tesla car building is that much more behind than the conventional car builders, than those that arent comfy in buying an expensive transportation device will NOT spend the money buying an EV, either from Tesla or otherwise.

Will there ever BE a tipping point for EVs?

Time will tell.

But, as GM and Porsche, and Ford, and all others and possibly Rivian and Lucid all come to produce EV tech  on par  (slighly less than Tesla or slightly better than Tesla)  and as Tesla improves their tech, and as the others keep up, than EVs will get that fair chance to succeed in the coming decade. 

Socio-economic and political realities will dictate which way that will be.  

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I love how you COMPLETELY MISSED THE POINT in my statement about design and tried to confuse and conflate the issue. I didn’t have to dig myself out at all. I just had to dumb it down for you since you weren’t getting the hint. The issue, from the start, has been your automatic disdain for anything EV, your constant bitching when it even dared mentioned on any other thread (random thoughts anyone?) and then coming to threads like this one and trolling, like you always do. Just to be clear, you are the pot in a room full of kettles.

”America First!!”*

*”Except EV companies and companies that piss off Das Feuer. This comment (like some off my rides), was made in Mexico.”

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 2

Back on topic, it does seem the mainstream makers are getting to the point of normalizing EV design rather than making them weird to be different and stand out.  It will be interesting to see how the production Chevy EVs look.

• Agree 3

Just now, Robert Hall said:

Back on topic, it does seem the mainstream makers are getting to the point of normalizing EV design rather than making them weird to be different and stand out.  It will be interesting to see how the production Chevy EVs look.

It is definitely a step in the right direction, where the Bolt is concerned.

• Agree 1

@Robert Hall @surreal1272 @oldshurst442 @riviera74 @ccap41 @balthazar @ocnblu

Have to say that VW ID.4 production EV that leaked out in China looks good. Close to the concept. Not a bad looking EV CUV.

• Agree 2

Just like any other CUV... so does that mean from a design standpoint it's not at all aspirational?

🤔  lower front fascia looks very cheap / one-piece molded. And I LOL'd at the faux exhaust outlets :

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 6.41.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 6.41.44 PM.png

I have always thought an EV should be akin to an engine option, and not look significantly different from the existing product. We'd all (consumers & OEMs) would have a controlled analysis of just how desirable EVs are if as much else were equal as possible. Not sure why it was ever a thing to have a wildly different design just because of the powertrain.

Bolt looks absolutely fine in it's segment, IMO.

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1