Which GM car should Robert buy?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which GM car should Robert buy?

• Buick La Crosse CX 3800 V6
    • Chevrolet Malibu LT 2.2 EcoTec L4
    • Chevrolet Monte Carlo LT 3.5 VVT V6
    • Pontiac Grand Prix base 3800 V6

Fellow C&Gers:

First, it can only be a GM car since I just hit $ 2,250 on the GM card and it cannot be a Saturn product since you can't redeem GM points for those cars. I also want to keep the MSRP to no more than $ 23,000 to $ 24,000 and deal down from there.

Allow me to post some pros and cons of each model that I see:

Buick LaCrosse CX 3800

Pros:

- great reliability and all cast iron 3800 V6

- timeless syling

Cons:

- bland oval grille up front

- ride and handling are so-so; it's quiet but it's not the morgue, either

Chevrolet Monte Carlo LT 3.5 VVT

Pros:

- the most comfortable cabin set-up of the bunch; "boxier" bucket seats are great

- killer gas mileage with this engine

Cons:

- some awkward styling cues and the spoiler WILL have to come off (still laughing at the C&Ger comment that this is "the white trash car of America")

- VVT is a recent addition to this engine so it could change the reliability somewhat; plus, does the reliability of the Chevy 60 deg V6s match that of the 3800?

Chevrolet Malibu LT 2.2 EcoTec

Pros:

- very sensible package with great room and features for the price

- economical econobox that no one will even look at to tamper with

Cons:

- all aluminum engine (the 2.2 EcoTec) would be a first for me

- while cabin is fine, the material on the seats is horrible...clearly an under $20K sled

Pontiac Grand Prix 3800V6

Pros:

- again, the awesome reliability of the 3800V6 and a track record of reliability

- a fun car to drive and a killer dashboard that feels like an airplane cockpit

Cons:

- the Recaro-ish seats are not that easy to get in and out of (yes, I am a normally sized person) and the orange illumination is eh

- the styling in the front fascia is garish...GTO, G6 and other Pontiacs are more restrained up front

It will be a 2007 purchase. I am currently doing something beyond work (i.e. school) at night and don't want to fuss with a new car. That will end in May 2007 (11 months from now). Also, I plan on being in Italy, Spain and Portugal all of June and July of 2007 before facing the "real world" again, so I will buy next year.

Your input is appreciated.

Edited by trinacriabob

I'd go with the LaCrosse or the Monte Carlo personally, mostly because I'm not really a fan of the current Grand Prix's sheet metal and the Malibu would probably be a little too small for me (6'4" here)...but all of those are decent choices. I was really against the '06 Monte for a while, but seeing them out on the streets, the new sheet metal on the front looks pretty good in person. Especially in SS trim.

If I remember correctly, isn't your current car a W-body Regal coupe?

I'd go with the LaCrosse or the Monte Carlo personally, mostly because I'm not really a fan of the current Grand Prix's sheet metal and the Malibu would probably be a little too small for me (6'4" here)...but all of those are decent choices.  I was really against the '06 Monte for a while, but seeing them out on the streets, the new sheet metal on the front looks pretty good in person.  Especially in SS trim.

Good memory. It is a W body Regal coupe 3800. Yesterday, it reached 225,000 miles.

Since you like the Monte some...I've driven it and it is very comfortable up front now that it has the plumper Impala buckets...how have your Chevy V6's fared? I mean...how many miles were put on them without any work? The engine in the Monte is a derivative of those Chevy V6s you've owned.

BTW, how's summer and the internship?

Edited by trinacriabob

Of those four, I think I'd take the LaX. It's got everything you're looking for, and if you get it in a darker color the oval grille doesn't have as much of an effect. Make sure you go for the alloys, though. The hubcaps look terrible.

The Eco isn't such a bad engine in the Malibu. It's adequate to slightly sluggish for highway driving. Perhaps a better option might be a base G6 with the 2.4L. Heck, for 24K you could get the GTP.

MC.  You seem to be more of a coupe kind of guy.  The updates have made the car almost handsome.  If you get one, please don't take off the spoiler to expose the hump in the decklid.

x2

MC.  please don't take off the spoiler to expose the hump in the decklid.

And you know I probably will, Bobo. :AH-HA_wink: Actually, I saw one today and was thinking about the hump. If only the rear was treated more like the DeVille sedan of about 3 years ago where the eye-level lamp was captured within the curved profile of the trunk lid rather than the accentuation found in the MC.

At any rate, if the Monte had the 3800, I wouldn't have even needed a poll. I am somewhat recalcitrant about the 3500...I don't know why.

Of those four, I think I'd take the LaX. It's got everything you're looking for, and if you get it in a darker color the oval grille doesn't have as much of an effect. Make sure you go for the alloys, though. The hubcaps look terrible.

Good points. Yes, the options needed on the base CX would be the alloys, the split folding rear seat and possibly the Comfort/Convenience package if that's what it took to get the telescopic wheel and the leather wrapped steering wheel which feels awesome in a car (GPs, Montes, Impys I've rented).

I'd go with the LaCrosse or the Monte Carlo personally, mostly because I'm not really a fan of the current Grand Prix's sheet metal and the Malibu would probably be a little too small for me (6'4" here)...but all of those are decent choices.  I was really against the '06 Monte for a while, but seeing them out on the streets, the new sheet metal on the front looks pretty good in person.  Especially in SS trim.

I've always liked the current Monte and now with the new front and the moldingless sides, it looks even meaner. This might seem like a stretch to say, but in some colors its absolutely stunning. And I in no way like NASCAR.

one trip insde the car kills a bit of the enthusiasm......even though the dash is revised.

Edited by regfootball

And you know I probably will, Bobo.  :AH-HA_wink: Actually, I saw one today and was thinking about the hump.  If only the rear was treated more like the DeVille sedan of about 3 years ago where the eye-level lamp was captured within the curved profile of the trunk lid rather than the accentuation found in the MC.

At any rate, if the Monte had the 3800, I wouldn't have even needed a poll.  I am somewhat recalcitrant about the 3500...I don't know why.

SS

I voted Monte Carlo. The flat spoiler doesn't look bad (and you guys know my stance on spoilers) because it hides the hump without drawing too much attention to itself. The new front and rear ends and the interior revisions work well to update the car.

Like someone said, you strike me as a coupe guy, and this car is your last remaining choice within GM.

I would have said LaCrosse coupe if they made one, but alas...

woops didnt see the saturn caveat...ummmmmmmm do you NEED a car? I'd almost wait another year or two for the EPIIs. Or RWD Impala. Honestly GM's current offerings do not excite me much, save for the SAAB 9-3 and SRX

It's not up there, but G6.

Aside from riding on a more-modern platform than the Impala, Monte, Grand Prix and Lacrosse, it wears handsome sheetmetal (you said it yourself in regards to the front-fascia), has a higher-quality interior, great rear-legroom thanks to the long wheelbase (and more headroom than the GP), and can be had in GTP trim for under $24k (or 6-cylinder trim for under $20k) before incentives. If two-doors are more your speed, go for the coupe.

Good memory.  It is a W body Regal coupe 3800. Yesterday, it reached 225,000 miles.

Since you like the Monte some...I've driven it and it is very comfortable up front now that it has the plumper Impala buckets...how have your Chevy V6's fared?  I mean...how many miles were put on them without any work?  The engine in the Monte is a derivative of those Chevy V6s you've owned.

BTW, how's summer and the internship?

The old '90 Euro made it up to 210,000, and the current '94 Euro is at 110,000 right now. The '90 as far as I know didn't have very many issues over its life...I know we replaced a water pump when I had it, but the 3100 was rock solid. The reason we got rid of it was because the eletrical system started dying out and that car was in bad shape since it had been sideswiped by a semi a couple years earlier (and we did a shoddy job of bondo and painting). But my dad said it was one of the most reliable cars he has owned.

The current Lumina is holding up well too...I had some issues with the engine idling a little rough about 6 months ago, but I took it in and they got it fixed and it's smooth again. So they've held up extremely well...never had a problem with them not starting up on a cold January morning. It was also a 3100.

I like the Monte because it's one of the last big personal coupes. Now that all the Cutlasses, Marks, and Eldorados are gone...there's not much left to choose from these days. I was riding in my friend's '99 Monte last night, and there just something cool about sitting low in a car with doors about as long as a Geo Metro's wheelbase. :P

• 3 weeks later...

I've been giving this some thought. I had a Monte Carlo this weekend in LA (I returned the Impala within 12 hours).

Buick's overriding quality and the 3800 are top drawer. The LaCrosse will be the answer IF the front end is reworked. I can't stand the upright oval grille. I can wait since in May 2007 (10 months from now), I will park the car and head for foreign lands for the bulk of the summer. So, I could do 2008.

If the LaCrosse is NOT mildly enhanced, I will go MC. I really enjoyed driving around the Southland the last few days in the Monte Carlo. The seats and the comfort level are great. The 3500 sips fuel.

I am starting to rethink the spoiler issue. I don't like them, but the upright one is probably nicer than the flat one or no spoiler at all. If they could have designed the rear end WITHOUT the hump, the MC would be sweet. Then, if it had the 3800, it would be perfect.