• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Spying: Audi Q8 Is Almost Undisguised

Looks almost like the concept

It has been almost a year since Audi unveiled the Q8 concept at the Detroit Auto Show. The concept was Audi's take on the SUV-coupe that the BMW X6 kicked off. We've known for some time that Audi was planning to bring the Q8 into production and recently, a spy photographer caught one almost uncovered.

The production model keeps the coupe-like stance and narrow glass area of the concept. Up front is massive octagonal grille, long and slim headlights, and faux openings in the bumper. The rear hatch is quite rakish and features a unique design for the tailgate.

The Q8 is expected to use Audi's MLB platform that underpins the Q7 crossover. We're guessing the base powertrain will be the turbocharged 3.0L V6 offering 354 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque. This will be paired with an eight-speed automatic and quattro AWD. Expect a plug-in hybrid and high-performance RS model to follow.

We won't have to wait too long for the Q8 to be revealed. Reports say the Q8 will go into production sometime later this year, meaning we could see the Q8 debut at Geneva or New York.

Source: Autoblog, Autocar, Motor Authority

38 minutes ago, frogger said:

I get a bit of a large XT5 profile from the A-pillar back..

Frogger I did not think about it till I compared side by side and your right very similar profiles for these two CUVs.

audiq8-undisguised03-kgp-ed-1.jpg

See the source image

Thinking on what Frogger has said, I take the Cadillac over the Audi as I like the stronger brick look over the coupe look, but very similar.

The Audi looks way better than the XTS. Proportions are better, overall design is more cohesive, and less busy.

9 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

The Audi looks way better than the XT5. Proportions are better, overall design is more cohesive, and less busy.

Fixed it for you as I assume you meant the XT5.

I will have to disagree with you. XT5 has the more SUV brick look over the overused Coupe look. Also not sure why as my eyes could be playing tricks on me but I think the XT5 has the longer hood which is a nod to the cadillac of old days with a long front hood.

Audio looks more like a car that they pumped up on Steroids compared to a more traditional SUV look on the XT5

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Fixed it for you as I assume you meant the XT5.

I think the Audi looks very un-coupe like compared to other players in this class. It has a quite traditional sport SUV/CUV profile and silhouette. The XT5 looks too cab-forward and FWD-based for my tastes.

Though I'm not a huge SUV fan, proportions and stance are the 2 biggest things for me, and I think the Q8 has it in spades. Others that are great in this regard are the Macan, Touareg, Grand Cherokee, and Infiniti FX.

Edited by Frisky Dingo

28 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I would assume since the Q8 is above the Q7 it is larger than the XT5?

XT5 comes in at: 189.5 inch length, 112.5 inch wheelbase, 75 inch width.

Q8 comes in at: 197.64 inch length, 118.11 inch wheelbase, 80.32 inch width.

Q7 comes in at: 199.6 inch length, 117.9 inch wheelbase, 77.5 inch width.

So yes, you could say this is the next size up category but almost identical to the Q7 in size.

Interesting :scratchchin:

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Another SUV coupe? Hard pass. They all look like ass.

Coming from someone who owned an Escape. :roflmao:

I was wondering how big this thing was, thanks dfelt for posting the size.  What I don't quite get is why it is nearly as big as a Q7 when it is a 2 row vehicle.  But maybe they just want it to feel like a jacked up A8.

Agree, I am also scratching my head as to why have the Q8 so close in size to the Q7 and only 2 rows at that. :scratchchin:

Because the Q7 is 3 row, isn't it?  2 row may be perceived as more premium, since 3 row implies family hauler.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Why not just offer 1 vehicle here, with an optional 3rd row?
    Instead of 2 vehicles fractions of an inch apart in dimensions?

Why not just offer 1 vehicle here, with an optional 3rd row?
    Instead of 2 vehicles fractions of an inch apart in dimensions?

Because that would be too predictable...

The platforms are 2/10th of an inch different in wheelbase. If VW can't engineer a 3rd row to fit the existing Q7, MAN are they finding new ways to blow money.

Used to be model lines were separated by 6 inches (which BTW I always found ridiculous)- but here we have the same segment/type vehicle from the same brand with a 2 inch difference and a different name. Yikes.

The Q7 is wider, will undoubtedly be more upscale inside, and will most likely offer powertrain options the Q7 doesn't get. There will be plenty of separation between the two. More than are with the X5 vs X6, and GLE vs GLE Coupe.

I couldn't find any information on the Audi USA site or Wikipedia..is the Q7 a 3 row or a 2 row SUV?

Edit: found it on the Audi website..Q7 is listed as 7 passenger, so 3 row.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

When compared side to side- I like them both in their own ways....it just depends on what floats your boat....

This is basically the poor man's Bentley Bentayga.

Same wheelbase, same platform.  Probably a lot of dirty bits in common.  VWAG seems to really get the most out of platforms.

Using a 117.9-in wheelbase platform for one SUV, then also using another 118.1-in wheelbase platform for another SUV shows they have a lot more work to do.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

1. zoomtm
      zoomtm

There are no registered users currently online