Rumorpile: Good-Bye Sonic

What happens to Orion Assembly?

A new report from the Wall Street Journal says the Chevrolet Sonic could be no more as early as of the end of this year. According to sources, the decision comes down to consumers veering more towards trucks and utility vehicles, and declining sales. So far in 2018, sales of the Sonic have dropped 21.5 percent. Overall volume has dropped by over two-thirds when compared to the Sonic's best sales of 93,518 units in 2014.

This could be more bad news for GM's Orion plant, home to the Chevrolet Sonic and Bolt. The plant already lost production of the Buick Verano in late 2016.

The report also notes that Ford will be axing both the Taurus and Fiesta according to sources close to discussions.

Source: Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required)

I can't blame them, it really is in some ways too small to be a safe commuter vehicle here in the states.  That being said, my mother is giving her me very low mileage Aveo.  She is keeping Dad's 2018 Outback.  I feel very protective of her little Chevy...and will kind of miss the Sonic.

The Spark I was in was a base trim, and it was horrific.
    The Sonic in the driveway here is an LTZ, and it's a pretty nice teeny car; I know which one I've vote to discontinue between the 2.
    Plus, I'm surprised Chevy doesn't keep it for CAFE purposes.

Sonic, Fiesta and Taurus are as good as dead.  I love when these PR types from car companies say they have no knowledge of them getting the axe, which means they are either lying or they are very bad at their job because we all know come 2020 none of those 3 will be around.

I could see the Spark going too, that is imported from Korea, unless the manufacturering cost is crazy low on it, I think it will he killed off.   GM is stubborn so they may try to keep the Impala alive.

I think the Fusion will survive because they can sell it as cop cars, but if the new Focus that is revealed next week is “roomier, larger and better equipped” then o think Fusion is dead too.

The Taurus is the police car, not the Fusion.

As for the Sonic, I suspect that the real reason is lack of sales and very tough competition from the Yaris and Fit and Rio and Accent and the Mazda 3 more than anything else.

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

The Spark I was in was a base trim, and it was horrific.
    Plus, I'm surprised Chevy doesn't keep it for CAFE purposes.

Why should they if the Sonic does not sell?

Maybe the Orion assembly plant should be used for better selling cars and pull production out of Mexico or Canada.  That will go very well with the current administration.

5 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

The Taurus is the police car, not the Fusion.

Image result for ford fusion police

And the reason why a Fusion might surplant the Taurus as a SEDAN cop car (as the Explorer is doing a fine job as a police interceptor model really the one to replace the Taurus) is that the Fusion Interceptor is sold as a hybrid.

Image result for ford fusion police

Image result for ford fusion police

23 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

That...and just maybe...the Sonic is simply just...a shytty car!

Is a Mazda 2 a shytier car?

Quite possibly.

Is a Nissan Micra an equal pile of...?

I dunno. Maybe the Sonic is a good little car, all I know I wouldnt be caught dead seen in one let alone me buying one.

Edited by oldshurst442

The Sonic is the nicest car in its class.  It has a lot of heart, character and style.  And it rides quieter than a lot of its competitors.

Over onto the social media, whenever Chevy posts a promotional photo of the Sonic, ppl cry that it has lost some of its mojo with the MCE.  This could also be a reason for its sales decline.  I really like the new look of the car, but I guess I'm in the minority.

I have this feeling that GM purposely sabotaged the car with the MCE knowing there would be an outcry from the faithful.  They want to sell more Trax at a higher price... but they needed to "build out" more Sonics to get their money out of the tooling... so they "wounded" it.  Mortally.  But its death had to be eventual, not immediate.

Now if only the dowdy Trax had anywhere near the fun spirit of the Sonic...  a replacement for the Trax cannot come soon enough.  And it needs to be good.

21 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Sorry, but your statement about Sonic safety is rubbish.  Sonic was one of the earliest small cars to get top crash test ratings. Indeed the gamma platform gets great ratings across the board. The crash test ratings for our Encore were a selling point for us.

Sonic is built in the US at US wages and sells at a low price.

Trax is built in Korea at Korean wages and sells at a higher price.

Aside from the AWD available in the Trax, they are the same vehicle in terms of material costs yet there is a $5k spread in base price to the Trax's advantage.

Sonic is built in he US at US wages and sells at a low price.

Trax is built in Korea at Korean wages and sells at a higher price.

Let me re phrase that...I would not feel safe driving a Sonic in heavy traffic in a major city.

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Not sure why.  My Encore is great around town. I sit in heavy city traffic in the Encore nearly every day.  I had it in Manhattan last week.  Sonic is one of the few small cars I would feel comfortable in and is also comfortable for long trips.

Fiesta and Versa are the ones that make me nervous.

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

Fiesta and Versa are the ones that make me nervous.

Versa would make me nervous.  This is actually a really helpful conversation because I have two children getting ready to drive/buy first cars. Sonic is a VERY attractive buy from a price/fuel economy/reliability standpoint.

Thought about buying a Fiesta ST when we bought the Beetle but the small size of the Fiesta made me nervous.  Kid (Jeff) in my pic here took out a large telephone pole with his Fiesta ST, totaled the car but he lived.

But seriously...even Encore felt a little small to me.  Really liked it when we looked at it.

Oddly never felt unsafe in the Miata, but I think that was just the testosterone poisoning of "I can avoid anything, I am superman" playing as a script in my head.

Interesting also from the article above...Ford getting rid of Taurus and Fiesta. That would leave Ford with the Mustang, (sports car obviously) and the Focus (small sedan/wagon.) They would then be very similar to Subaru, with mostly SUV vehicles.

legacy sells in fairly small numbers wonder if it will go away like the Taurus?

8 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

This is one of the few areas where size doesn't matter as long as you do it right.  A SMART can take out the front third of an E-Class in a frontal offset collision and the passenger compartment of the SMART will survive enough that the doors will still open.  GM got the Gamma platform very very right in regards to crash safety.  While the Sonic, Fiesta, Versa are all in the same size class, driving them back to back should put to bed any doubts you have as to which is the more solid vehicle. The Fiesta and Versa feel like thinly built cheap vehicles... which they largely are.  The Sonic feels more like a cut down Malibu.  It has a mass to it that the other two do not have.

Get yourself a Sonic with the RS package and the 1.4T, it has a sportier gearing and while not need for speed fast it won't be slow either.

Honestly probably the most helpful thing I have read here in the last 3 months.  Sold the MINI Cooper S awhile back and have not replaced it.  Do not want another convertible (Miata, Ohio weather) or RWD (FRS, Ohio weather) or German (BMW parts prices and reliability, Cooper S) for next daily driver.  Still want a little bit of a go kart of a car. Will check this out, seriously.

HMMMM....

• cb3937870353435bad3ebb6c7cb02e7d.jpg

RS model to boot....!

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Since I know you like manuals, the RS is also available with a 6-speed row your own.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  IT's also one of the better/best/easiest to drive manual transmission setups anywhere close to the class.   A BMW or Mini may do it better, but you'll also pay 50% to 100% more.

Good luck trying to find one in that setup though.

It surprises me they are getting rid of the Sonic and not the smaller Spark.

I was looking at the Sonic RS before I bought my Focus and I just couldn't get over the size of the car. I'm all for smaller vehicles(I drive a Focus!) but it's just too small for me. They'd be perfect for a new driver though. I would definitely look at one if I was buying one for a high school kid.

That is a fantastic price for that lil runabout.

Yeah, and my Tax return check will be here in about 4 days, electronically filed about two weeks ago. Biggest thing now is I am trying to save every freaking penny because my son (younger son) is in college and would like to spend part of his Junior year abroad.

It surprises me they are getting rid of the Sonic and not the smaller Spark.

The above mentioned 19 year old son and my 17 year old daughter will both need cars.

It surprises me they are getting rid of the Sonic and not the smaller Spark.

Sonic is more expensive to build because it is built in the US.   I would have like to see them move it to Lordstown with Cruze... Lordstown definitely has the capacity.  If not there, then Korea to be built with the other Gammas.... but GM is fighting with the Korean unions at the moment.  Maybe they want to bring Trax and Encore to Orion?

I would love to see that.

On 4/4/2018 at 2:11 PM, balthazar said:

The Spark I was in was a base trim, and it was horrific.
    Plus, I'm surprised Chevy doesn't keep it for CAFE purposes.

My gut tells me that the BOLT and VOLT Platforms will be used to make up CAFE what the Sonic and Spark cover, thought the Spark will probably be kept around a bit longer for entry level price point.

4 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

In a City with full size SUV / Trucks, I would not feel safe in a Sonic or Spark either.

Pass on them.

Pass on them.

My daughter who works as a claims adjuster lost it emotionally when she found out her mother and I were thinking about a car that small.

The COVID-19 pandemic has possibly caused another auto show to rethink their plans. According to Automotive News, organizers of the show are planning to delay the show from November to next May. Three sources tell the outlet the new dates are May 21st to 31st. Two of sources go on to say that an announcement could come this week.
      Automotive News tried to get comment from Terri Toennies, president of the show, but did not reply.
      By possibly moving the LA Auto Show to May, automakers and organizers of the New York and Detroit shows find themselves in a difficult spot. The LA show sandwiches between New York (April) and the revised Detroit show (June), which may cause automakers to make difficult decisions as to which shows get the most significant unveilings or whether to attend at all.
      Auto shows in general have been struggling before the onset of the pandemic. With automakers deciding to hold their own events to have more time in the spotlight and save cash, the spectacle of the show has gone down.
      We'll keep you posted.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

We'll keep you posted.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By David
      Lots of interesting stuff happening as GM by divisions starts to release more info on their EV programs.
      First is a interesting video on their Ultium batteries. This clearly shows how versatile they can build the battery packs.
      https://plants.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/bcportal.html/currentVideoId/6157651202001/currentChannelId/Most Recent.gsaOff.html
      Multiple-cell-configurations-within-Ultium-modules.mp4

They have released a video of a side profile of the new Chevrolet Bolt morphing into the Bolt EUV. I was able to download the video and as such, way more visual detail than on the posted web sites below are showing.
      chevrolet-bolt-euv-teaser-1598391287.mp4

Have to say the upcoming update to the Chevrolet Bolt and the EUV is nice looking and should sell even better than the old Bolt. Truly a much more CUV look.
      When Kia revealed the new Soul to the U.S. in 2018, they announced that the EV would be arriving sometime a year later. 2019 came and the automaker announced that the Soul EV had been pushed back to 2020. A few months later, the launch date was pushed to 2021. Now, an internal source at Kia's U.S. office has revealed to Roadshow that the Soul EV isn't coming at all.
      According to the source, a number of factors played into this decision. Some of the factors such as limited supply of batteries and motors, along with increased demand for the model Europe were used to explain the last delay. Also, the Soul EV has independent rear suspension. The standard Soul doesn't, which would make the EV more expensive to bring to the U.S. and add complexity.
      Adding fuel to the fire, Kia has removed any mention of the Soul EV on their U.S. consumer and media sites. There is also no mention of the Soul EV on the EPA site. Previously, the vehicle was mentioned with a range of 243 miles.
      When reached by Roadshow, a Kia spokesperson said they haven't heard anything about the Soul EV being canned for the U.S., but did confirm they have "no pending plans to introduce before 2021 at the earliest."
      We'll keep you posted on this story.
      Source: Roadshow

• Yeah...that would be a personal opinion.  I like both equally.  But no matter which one you think is better looking, you cannot deny that the other is NOT not good looking.
    • Lots of Italians, Sicilians, and Greeks in Steubenville, Ohio where I spent my childhood.  Our next door neighbors had immigrated from Palermo.
    • Yes.  Along with a few remote villages in Sicily, some remote villages on the heel of the peninsula have retained modified forms of Greek.  Probably because they're even closer to the Peloponnesus.  Greek (this brings back memories): "Ohi" means "no," but "Ne" means "yes"  My favorite Greek surname:  Papadiamantis, also the name of the main street on the island of Skiathos Italian and Greek: I know of only one word that is common to both Italian and Greek:  pantofoli (bedroom slippers), thought there are surely others Sicilian and French: The 200 years of French Norman rule is seen in the Sicilian dialect, where some words come from French, like some of the ones in the video: where:  "unni" from "ou" work:  "travagghiu" from "travail" buy:  "accattari" from "acheter" and many, many more Sicilian and Italian (per video): Most words in Sicilian use "u" sounds for the "o" sounds in Italian, which makes it sound more guttural... that's the biggest difference. I have rarely heard cheese called "tumazzu," as in the video.  Most people just call it "furmaggiu." But they didn't include one of the most humorous differences of them all:  snail:  "lumaca" (in Italian), but "babbaluccia" (in Sicilian) (bubb-a-looch-cha)!
    • @trinacriabob       I was listening to those clips above and others a few weeks back. I was shocked to see that in some parts of Southern Italy, Greek is spoken still and mixed with Italian.   I knew that about Sicily, but not on mainland Italy.   I was even shocked to learn, this was yesterday, that a classic 1980 Giannis Poulopoulos song was but a cover. An Italian cover. From 1974.  And there is a catch, the song was written and sung by a very popular Italian singer, but the song was written and sung...in Greek.     Original  Mia Martini   Una faccia, una razza!  http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yDqhw4Vhh-I/Tvr6TfymTmI/AAAAAAAABiw/ia8Zwy4TxDI/s1600/ItaliaGreciaBandiere.jpg

1. 25ThTA
      25ThTA
    2. DenCo
      DenCo

There are no registered users currently online