Sign in to follow this  
ocnblu

Professional Grade?

I stopped by the local GMC dealership this evening after work, went into the showroom and started leafing through that gigantic tablet they have, showing all the different models. A salesdude approached me, so I asked if he had any info, especially pictures, of the interior changes for '07 on the Canyon. He gave me an '06 Canyon brochure. Nice move. So I asked him to mail me an '07 Canyon brochure. We sat down at his desk while he took my info.

I casually said, "I understand they're bumping these up for '07"

He said, "Yeah, they have more horsepower, but I'm not sure the displacement is any bigger."

I said, "Uh, yeah, the 4 is going to 2.9L and the 5 is going to 3.7."

He said, "Oh."

I said, "Hey, when do you think you'll be getting a 900 Sierra?"

He said, "What's a 900 Sierra?"

I said, :huh::rolleyes: "Uh... the GMT900 '07 Sierra, the new pickup."

He said, "Oh, uh, January or February."

I said, "Really? That late?"

He said "Yeah."

What a dingus. He won't get any more attention from me when it comes time.

Edited by ocnblu

Most sbalesmen are idiots. I know more than all of the salesmen combined at my dealership.

Guest YellowJacket894

A local TV program that a local dealer shows off every weekend branded a GTO as a, and I quote, "2006 Pontiac G6 GTO."

:nono:

Listen, dealers, if you don't know $h! about the product you sell, I'd like for you to quit your job and sell something else. Vaccum cleaners maybe?

Yeah, we've established the role of the salesman is to sell you the car, not know about it.

I'm still waiting for my Mercedes CLS brochure 6 months after I left my contact information for them. That is poor salesmanship.

Yup, we've already had a thread about this some months ago, but it always amazes me. Maybe I'm the dumb one, for expecting better from the people who are on the front lines of customer contact to the company they represent.

My salesman <of my CTS and Avalanche> sends me letters, service coupons, and business cards every month. He is knowlageable and friendly even though he *looks* like a typical slimball salesman.

I recommend him to anyone in the pittsburgh region looking to buy a Cadillac.

I normally don't even interact with the salesman, other an a simple "I'm just looking" until I find what I want. If they don't have it, I might inquire about it, or I might take my checkbook elsewhere.

Salespeople are a mixed bag. You have the knowlegdeable ones, like the guy who sold us our Sonoma (he knew stuff about it that I didn't, and I researched it extensively). But then you get ones like these:

Salesmen: "The Honda Odyssey has segment-leading horsepower."

Me: "Yeah, I know, the 3.5L V6. We've (my family) tested one, and didn't like the way the V6 sounded, and aren't too fond of the outside."

Him: "V6? This doesn't have a V6-it has a V8. Who told you it had a V6?"

Me: "Honda did. They told me on all of their commercials."

Him: "Honda lied. The Odyssey has a V8."

Me: "Would you mind popping the hood?"

Him: "That won't be necessary."

Guest YellowJacket894

Salespeople are a mixed bag. You have the knowlegdeable ones, like the guy who sold us our Sonoma (he knew stuff about it that I didn't, and I researched it extensively). But then you get ones like these:

Salesmen: "The Honda Odyssey has segment-leading horsepower."

Me: "Yeah, I know, the 3.5L V6. We've (my family) tested one, and didn't like the way the V6 sounded, and aren't too fond of the outside."

Him: "V6? This doesn't have a V6-it has a V8. Who told you it had a V6?"

Me: "Honda did. They told me on all of their commercials."

Him: "Honda lied. The Odyssey has a V8."

Me: "Would you mind popping the hood?"

Him: "That won't be necessary."

178133[/snapback]

Please tell me you're kidding.

He's not. I've seen similar happen before when I was just out and about at a couple of dealerships. A salesperson will tell you anything you want to hear to make the deal, doesn't matter if its true or not. They are there to make a deal, nothing more, nothing less.

Ive had this too, too many times. I know more about the new and old GMs than the salesmen. I attribute that info on the new stuff to this site. As for the old stuff not many here seem to know much except us old fogies but some of the younger guys know stuff we never even dreamed of................... :lol:

When I checked out the Lacrosse it was the same sad situation as you have described. When I checked out the Cobalt the guy was a car guy but I was still more on top of things, when we checked out the G6 he (same guy) was more on the ball but I still needed to give him some extra info. This time I did buy a car from him, he is an excellent man.

This is one of the points about dealership training that BUICKMAN had on his list that I knew was NEEDED. GM's dealerships in many instances are killing them. This one I bought the G6 from is not listed in the yellow pages under Buick, nor Pontiac, nor GMC nor even Chevy which they also sell. They are listed as Gable Auto & Truck Center........thats it ! You cant find them under anything other than G . Their sister store on the other hand.......Gable Dodge Chrysler Jeep has multiple listings, in large add size under Chrysler...................Dodge...............Jeep.............................IDIOTS !!!!!!!!

real friggin brilliant :stupid:

Please tell me you're kidding.

178135[/snapback]

Nope, he did try to get my parents to bite on the Odyssey. We wouldn't have, even if it did have a V8-it was used and we wanted new. It just happened to be sitting in a spot on the way to the new Windstars (we looked at Ford before we looked at GM).

Guest YellowJacket894

Nope, he did try to get my parents to bite on the Odyssey. We wouldn't have, even if it did have a V8-it was used and we wanted new. It just happened to be sitting in a spot on the way to the new Windstars (we looked at Ford before we looked at GM).

178144[/snapback]

I don't know what's more pathedic: the salesman, or the idea that a Honda-f@#king-Odyssey has a V8. :nono:

I don't know what's more pathedic: the salesman, or the idea that a Honda-f@#king-Odyssey has a V8.  :nono:

178148[/snapback]

Honda made a FWD biased "truck"... A V8 Odyssey isn't too crazy now as it would've been a year or so ago.

Then again, they don't have any V8's in their arsenal, so I doubt there'd be any chance of that happening. ^_^ ...

...Allah Willing... :unsure:

Sigh. You'll get a mixed bag of talent when you walk into any company, whether it is Sears or a TV repair shop. Keep in mind that the dealers aren't paying these guys anything so a lot of times the dealers take the attitude that they will throw 3 or 4 guys on the floor and see how they sink or swim. Dealer principals like to pay lip service to the concept that they understand everyone who walks through the door is a potential customer and should be treated like gold, but at the end of the day will the dealer put their money where their mouth is and train their guys/gals to be the best or pay them to be their best?

Look, at at Chevy store we have 12 cars and 7 trucks to sell - that isn't even splitting them into their subcategories. Then there are the rates and programs for every single one of them, which change weekly. Then there is keeping track of the main competition and what they are up to, also with their models and rates/programs. You could spend all day at your computer, just trying to keep up, but then you'd miss the next customer walking through the door.

Then there is the pressure of getting to whatever goal has been set for you that month, and that can drive salespeople to saying or doing whacky things if they are one deal short.

I am not trying to defend these lugs - some of them would be funny if they weren't so earnest in their ignorance; however, with GM's market share sinking and dealers being pitted against each other AND with platform sharing getting silly again (Colorado/Canyon comes to mind), things are only going to get WORSE.

Remember: most of these guys don't even LIKE cars and could as easily be selling appliances.

just frequenting this site probably does make you a bit ahead of the dealers . . . in response to the first post . . . i did have the time to read the rest tonite

i can go and tell all the guys at my dealership about the new arrivals theyll hear about in a certain amount of time and they sit and stare like its story time every time i go in now lol

The salesman for our Mega Cab was so fake, i had corrected him on a few things about the truck, he just kinda rolled his eyes, thats pretty bad when i being 13 has to correct him ya know? only one of the dealerships that day had knowledgable salesman, they had recognized me too from previous times, they said i knew more about theyre product then they did.

Edited by Charger4U

That's retarded salesmanship. The local Dodge Dealer is pretty good, and was helpful to me when I asked about the Dakota when I was doing a report last year.

I think a lot depends on the dealership is run.

The one I go to has a decent sized staff-and the owner(pretty cool guy) expects

the salespeople to know a decent amount about the products themselves.

They even have classes for new/updated products...I like the fact the they actually

take the time to properly train the people...

The local dealership tends to be quite clueless on many different levels....

before I bought the CTS, I stopped in at a Chrysler dealer to check out the 300M

this was before the 300C

I had the salesman tell me that the 300M was german engineered and came with a supercharged 3.5 litre v6.

I make him open the hood and point to the supercharger.

I once had a Ford salesman tell me that the Suburban's frame was made from two separate sides welded together, whereas the Expedition's was extruded into one piece. This results in greater safety, as an Expedition won't split apart in a crash and a Suburban will. Only Mercedes, Volvo (we showed up in one), and Ford have this technology.

:huh:

I'm dead serious.

Edited by empowah

I once had a Ford salesman tell me that the Suburban's frame was made from two separate sides welded together, whereas the Expedition's was extruded into one piece. This results in greater safety, as an Expedition won't split apart in a crash and a Suburban will. Only Mercedes, Volvo (we showed up in one), and Ford have this technology.

:huh:

I'm dead serious.

178582[/snapback]

:lol:

That is what I find so frustrating about selling the best pick up in the world (Silverado) when Ford trumpetted their improvements (like hydroformed steel frame sections in their last go-round 2 years ago) when GM already used that technology in 1999! Ford plays catch up and Ford loyalists think it is all new.

The easiest way to sell a Silverado is to park a F-150 beside it!

And the easiest way to sell an F-150 is to have the customer sit inside a GMT-800.

And the easiest way to sell an F-150 is to have the customer sit inside a GMT-800.

178941[/snapback]

Or crash one into a deformable offset barrier at 40 mph.