Solstice GXP in Oct. Motor Trend

Comparison test against BMW Z4 3.0si and Nissan 350Z roadster

They gave Solstice 1st place! Mainly due to the low price. The looks and the fact that it "rattled us by showing it's tailights to the 350Z" where the final factors that put it ahead of the BMW overall.

Typical negatives were trunk space and ergonomics.

Lap times:

BMW 1:35.9

Solstice 1:36.7

350Z 1:38.3

BMW 255hp

Solstice 260hp

350Z 260hp

0-60:

BMW 5.1

Solstice 5.5

350Z 5.7

1/4 mile:

BMW 13.8

Solstice 14.1

350Z 14.3

Curb weight:

BMW 3070

Solstice 3040

350Z 3576

skidpad:

BMW 0.94g

Solstice 0.89g

350Z 0.90g

Braking 60-0:

BMW 104

Solstice 112

350Z 121

Base price - Price as tested:

BMW 42,795 - 50,095

Solstice 26,595 - 29,334

350Z 38,255 - 38,845

I am begining to think that the Detroit News(Lienerts) and Motor Trend are one in the same. They can find something wrong in anything, especially if it is American. If they don't like American cars move out of the U.S. and go live with the French or something. Even then Anita Lienert would find something wrong.

I am begining to think that the Detroit News(Lienerts) and Motor Trend are one in the same. They can find something wrong in anything, especially if it is American. If they don't like American cars move out of the U.S. and go live with the French or something. Even then Anita Lienert would find something wrong.

184727[/snapback]

They have a point about the trunk, and some things are place in odd places, such as the cup holders and window switches. I think giving the Solstice first place says enough about how good it is, and everyone will dismiss the couple shortcomings because "it beat a BMW for 60% of the price!"

I feel the trunk is a weak argument on this car. It is a sports car!

Even though the Miata has a larger truck it is not that much better! Lets face it the Vette and many other sports cars did not have trunks prior to 1978. They only offered a storage space and no one complained Then. People addapted to sports cars well back then.

Hell, Offer the soft 5 piece fitted luggage like they did for the Fiero back in 1984. I have a set and it works.

Posted Image

As for cup holders I only use mine to hold change. Cars are for driving not having a 6 course meal. The safety groups are now just starting to point out eating and drinking are more unsafe than cell phones.

Hmm, Maybe GM should point out the Solstice is safer Than the Miata because it does not have cup holders where it would distract you while driving!!! A new GM safety feature :lol:

Edited by hyperv6

Excellent, this is the type of news Pontiac and GM in general need. They've built the product and now the reviews are turning in favor of the general.

Come on GM, let's keep the great cars coming and watch the revival gain speed!

The 350Z costs almost 40 grand??

184773[/snapback]

Actual "base" price is $27,650, before trim levels.

And for the as-tested price of their Z4, they could have gotten the 330-hp M roadster.

Congrats to GM for the win... the SKY RL would be an even stronger competitor.

Edited by empowah

184727[/snapback]

I wouldn't complain too much...it did take first in the comparo...

Car and Driver also did the same review. Good performing car with a lot of small warts.

Then they show how it out performed a 53K Porsche but they show the Porsche was a better everyday car and tuned better. This was all well and fine as I would expect for near twice the cost it should be. But then they try to point out the owner bought it used with 4,000 miles for 35K and claime for about the same money you buy a used Spyder for GXP money.

No mention that the Porsche value dropped near 50% in 4,000 miles.

Car and Driver also did the same review. Good performing car with a lot of small warts.

Then they show how it out performed a 53K Porsche but they show the Porsche was a better everyday car and tuned better. This was all well and fine as I would expect for near twice the cost it should be. But then they try to point out the owner bought it used with 4,000 miles for 35K and claime for about the same money you buy a used Spyder for GXP money.

No mention that the Porsche value dropped near 50% in 4,000 miles.

185375[/snapback]

I read that article, something is fishy there...I don't think Boxsters don't depreciate that fast...

Congrats to the Solstice GXP. It's the one I'd pick out of the three anyways. I've never been a fan of the 350Z roadster. I think when it's got the top down it looks disproportional. Z4 isn't my style and I tend to not see the reason of paying so much for a BMW. Glad to hear the good news for Pontiac and GM. The Solstice and the G6 are bringing Pontiac back from the edge of the abyss, keep doing what you're doing guys.

If it was the Solstice GXP vs. the S2000, that would be a much more difficult decision for me. The S2000 has been one of my dream cars since it's release back in 1999. It would come down to do I want a car more focused on track prowless or one with a healthy dose of power. Hm...can't both just tie in a comparo so I can be happy?

Did the MT driver blow the launching of the GXP in 0-60 and the 1/4...or is the gearing on the GXP just that bad? I would think that since the GXP makes 40ft/lbs more tq and weighs a bit less it would get down the track a little quicker. Or possibly GM just needs a wider tire on the rear...

3.73 gears but turbo's take a couple tics to create boost.

189476[/snapback]

Complete BS in the case of the Ecotec, because of the twin scroll and VVT...It makes peak hp 1300rpm earlier and peak tq 250rpm earlier. In fact the ecotec makes ~220ft/lbs @ 1500rpm, you have to wait 1250 rpm for that in the BMW.