New Chevy/Camaro Head?

hyperv6

Anyone here have a clue to what this is? Is this the long talked about and never seen Chevy 3 valve head?

I posted it here as this was on the CamaroZ28.com site and they were all wondering if this may be a glimps of the future Camaro engine.

If anything it is GM and a very interesting layout. Some over there were claiming red lines od 6,600 to 7,000. Also it was claimed to have the same low end torque as a LS but it continued where the other stopped. If true this would be a big jump over the Ford 3 valve.

All of this is speculation from the Camaro web site and has not been confirmed.

So just enjoy till we hear more!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by hyperv6

Old engineering proposal. We won't see it.

190292[/snapback]

"old"..as in a more definte period please....

if it is an old concept... hopefully something came out of it and can be coming down the pipe in a couple years....

"old"..as in a more definte period please....

if it is an old concept... hopefully something came out of it and can be coming down the pipe in a couple years....

190398[/snapback]

Just going off the top of my head, at one time I believe GM was considering a 3-valve truck engine - I believe it was due to be debuted in the GMT-900s. But, the decision was made to abandon that design some time ago.

Anyone please feel free to correct me if this is inaccurate.

-RBB

Just going off the top of my head, at one time I believe GM was considering a 3-valve truck engine - I believe it was due to be debuted in the GMT-900s.  But, the decision was made to abandon that design some time ago.

-RBB

190573[/snapback]

That timeline sounds right. Anyway, AFAIK, this one is dead and buried folks.

Just going off the top of my head, at one time I believe GM was considering a 3-valve truck engine - I believe it was due to be debuted in the GMT-900s.  But, the decision was made to abandon that design some time ago.

-RBB

190573[/snapback]

That timeline sounds right. Anyway, AFAIK, this one is dead and buried folks.

190577[/snapback]

i was under the impression that the idea was still a go for the GMT900 but it was too far off, and wouldnt be in the GMT900 to start due to complications and would be in the line up 2-3 years from now

I just found this:

http://autos.canada.com/news/story.html?id...b1f8226e441&p=2

Behind the wheel of new 'Vette

Chris Vander Doelen, Windsor Star

"You could give it to your mother to drive. You can't say that about a lot of supercars."

The Z06 wasn't even the most fun I had in a car that day. The best ride was in a Cadillac CTS-V fitted with what was described as an experimental engine, although I highly doubt the experiment will remain in GM's labs much longer.

"We're trying to show people a few of the things we can do with existing technology," said Fred Rosario, the grinning engineer assigned to accompany the car. "Go head, give 'er," he said when I asked if I could stomp on the accelerator a bit.

It was just a regular four-door Caddy - with 470 horsepower and an almost psychotic exhaust note that went like this when you mashed the gas pedal: Wh-A-A-A-R-R-R-R!

Imagine the roar of a Detroit V-8 crossed with the hysterical shriek of a high-performance European engine. It was spooky. I kept poking that gas pedal just to hear it roar.

The secret was three valves in an allegedly ancient GM pushrod block. A new valvetrain configuration and cylinder head boost power by up to 18 per cent, or 75 horsepower.

Three valves even reduce emissions, thanks to faster fuel burn. And the configuration is smaller than a double overhead cam engine, has lower mass, and is cheaper to build than a four-valve OHC.

The engine can also be fitted with cylinder displacement on demand, which shuts off half the cylinders at cruising speed to save fuel. They might even put it in a truck, GM says.

So you think muscle cars are overdone? The other cars on GM's test track that day included 1.3-litre and 1.9-litre Opel diesels. Not sold here yet, that is true. But they could be.

The big news of the day was an upcoming diesel V-8 as small and even more powerful than a gasoline smallblock V-8. How small is it? They wouldn't say. That means really small.

Half of Detroit's auto industry is currently soiling their diapers due to downsizing. But GM clearly still has a few tricks up its sleeve.

Also driven by me that day were a Saturn Sky Redline and a Pontiac Solstice GXP. I'll say a few things about that experience on my blog at windsorstar.com

Hmmmmm, perhaps this motor has nothing to do with that old CAD drawing at the beginning of this thread.

Edited by Chazman

I just found this:

Hmmmmm, perhaps this motor has nothing to do with that old CAD drawing at the beginning of this thread.

190777[/snapback]

Ancient....I know Pontiac had many prototype engines in the early 60s ....

3 valve 428s and 4 valve per cylinder 389s. I have a '68 Hot Rod mag that goes

behind the scenes on GM's overhead cam development program.

Where there is smoke there's fire unless your in LA.

The pictured engine may not be what was in the Caddy but it might have been a second gen of it if the story was 8/29/06.

Either way it would make a great Camaro engine or Vette engine if it has that kind of power along with a grat sound. Add better milage and emissions we might be onto something for the future??

Where there is smoke there's fire unless your in LA.

The pictured engine may not be what was in the Caddy but it might have been a second gen of it if the story was 8/29/06.

Either way it would make a great Camaro engine or Vette engine if it has that kind of power along with a grat sound. Add better milage and emissions we might be onto something for the future??

191044[/snapback]

All plausible. Time will tell. Edited by Chazman

Posted Image

190219[/snapback]

well... this engine has to be from 96 or newer... the alternator tells..

if this is coming out ~ 2-3 years... hopefully it'll "trickle down" very, very fast...

be great on the 4.8 or 5.3L s.... and i bet some people would like to see the 3.9L have this for towards 270hp... (i'd be included) and of course... the bigger v8s would crush the competition (of today) if the power gains are true.

Hemi who?  Hurricane what?

190232[/snapback]

:D8):pbjtime:

GM is on its way back in a big way.

Did anyone notice that the valvetrain in the CAD and in the photos are different?

One is obviously an evolution over the other. :)

191318[/snapback]

That is what made me ponder a possible Gen II design. Also I know GM said they have taken the two valve about as far as they can with emissions and all with out gong to a 3rd valve a while ago.

More Air=More Power and a cleaner burn..

Did anyone notice that the valvetrain in the CAD and in the photos are different?

191318[/snapback]

you mean how the exhaust rocker looks and the support for it? .... i'd say that's kinda minor, but ok.

yay, higher inlet velocities, almost the same as 4 valve, while having less turbulence on the exhaust stroke..

Next step in OHV??----I hope so!!----There is a GM 3VPC OHV 6.3L SB V8 with 470HP running around ((THATS A FACT!!)) They tried this before a few of years ago and it seems to me that they FINELY HAVE IT CLOSER TO PRODUCTION NOW!----OHV RULES!!

Posted Image

I can't figure out how the midget pushrod for the exhaust port is kept in place. It seems to be simply wedged between the rocker and the dimple on the shaft.

What puzzles me also is what appears to be a huge surface area for the head chamber. In a standard pushrod engine, the valves are literally squished in there, within thousandths of an inch from one another. These valves don't look at all cramped or close. The head itself is huge and resembles a typical OHC engine.

Edited by greg_nate

191318[/snapback]

It looks like they went from shaft mount in the CAD to stud mount rockers in the photo. Probably more to do with cost than performance.

But other than that, the details look the same.

Specifically, look at the shape of the exhaust port. I haven't seen this shape before. Its not round, its not "D" shaped, its not ovular. Its kinda like ovular with a protruding bluge. I sure wish we could see inside the head. I have a suspicion that the exhaust valve is huge and that the protruding bulge runs all the way up into the combustion chamber.

Edited by greg_nate

Posted Image

190219[/snapback]

Is that direct injection on the top off what looks like a fuel rail? I see four black tubes coming off the rail going into the top of the head near the two intake valves.

The head is large but very low profile and has a lot less mass than a DOHC.

Less parts mean less cost. Less parts mean less weight. Less parts mean more compact and all would make a more efficent cheaper package than an DOHC.

I dealt with a guy who did a engine swap of a DOHC Cobra engine into a 55 F100 na he said next time it would be a Chevy since it would be so much easier to fit in and much cheaper. This is not really any different than GM's approch too.

All the advantages of DOHC with out the disadvantages of DOHC.

If it works well it could set a trend.

Edited by hyperv6

Is that direct injection on the top off what looks like a fuel rail? I see four black tubes coming off the rail going into the top of the head near the two intake valves.

191589[/snapback]

kinda thought so too, for a sec.. that's just how the setup the sfi sytem... at least it looks very similar to the one on my '99 3.1L... w/ 7 years more of refinement in it's placement.

Detailed info on the 3V's

http://64.65.63.61/forums/showthread.php?p...698#post4089698

191689[/snapback]

dang, wonder why 2 cam engines didn't come up in this other topic 8)

YAY!... hope for true dual vvt on ohv engines...

never new that much about the xv8 GM made , just knew that it existed and was small, awesome!!

Anyone here have a clue to what this is? Is this the long talked about and never seen Chevy 3 valve head?

I posted it here as this was on the CamaroZ28.com site and they were all wondering if this may be a glimps of the future Camaro engine.

If anything it is GM and a very interesting layout. Some over there were claiming red lines od 6,600 to 7,000. Also it was claimed to have the same low end torque as a LS but it continued where the other stopped. If true this would be a big jump over the Ford 3 valve.

All of this is speculation from the Camaro web site and has not been confirmed.

So just enjoy till we hear more!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

190219[/snapback]

this design with the short across the head pushrod for the exhaust valve was used in a 1939 BMW to make a cross flow head using pushrods with the cam in the block

I'm with 91z4me on this one: it's just you.

193825[/snapback]

I guess the smart ass patrol came out lately. None of the pictures shows either a plug or coils. The onlt recess in the head by the exhaust port looks higher than the inside floor of the head. Could of just provided an answer, because you don't look any smarter with the answer you gave. :scratchchin:

I guess the smart ass patrol came out lately. None of the pictures shows either a plug or coils. The onlt recess in the head by the exhaust port looks higher than the inside floor of the head. Could of just provided an answer, because you don't look any smarter with the answer you gave.  :scratchchin:

193862[/snapback]

Smart *ss patrol on duty!

Posted Image

Possibly.  But remeber this is a demo engine, heck the intake manifold is cut in half and the valve covers are off.

194006[/snapback]

Possibly sounds like you really don't know what a spark plug even looks like. Injectors squirt fuel into the intake, except on direct injection and the spark plug goes into the combustion chamber. Could learn how engines work before posting comments that display your lack of knowledge.

Possibly sounds like you really don't know what a spark plug even looks like. Injectors squirt fuel into the intake, except on direct injection and the spark plug goes into the combustion chamber. Could learn how engines work before posting comments that display your lack of knowledge.

195407[/snapback]

WOW LOOK FOLKS WE GOT A G-E-N-I-U-S HERE!!! Have you not heard of direct injection, how do you know that these engines don't have it?

WOW LOOK FOLKS WE GOT A G-E-N-I-U-S HERE!!!  Have you not heard of direct injection, how do you know that these engines don't have it?

195504[/snapback]

Well the genius certainly isn't you. There still isn't a spark plug. I did mention the difference in a direct injection motor. A gasoline direct injection needs both a spark plug and an injector. It's pretty apparent from your responses that you don't have a real clue about this motor and have called a fuel injector that is attached to a fuel rail and doesn't appear to be located in the right place to be direct injection, a spark plug/fuel injector. Time to quit acting like you are smart and know what you are talking about, when it's painfully obvious how limited your knowledge really is. Now go back to your high school studies. :rolleyes: