tama z71

The Political Correctness Thread

What are your thoughts on political correctness in America?   51 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on political correctness in America?

• Not Enough. People need to be far more sensitive to others.
    • I think we have all we need right now.
    • Theres just a little too much for my liking.
    • The current amount infringes on my right to freedom of speech.
    • Everyone needs to pull the cork out of their ass and acknowledge reality in daily rhetoric.
    • I am Carlos Mencia

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

70 posts in this topic

why did the mexican girl get pregnant? her teacher told her to go do an essay - i am carlos mencia :CG_all: Edited by Fijian

I think people need to develop a thicker skin and accept getting offended from time to time. Just because you get offended doesn't mean someone was insensitive or intrusive. Getting offended can indicate you have quirky hang-ups and something legitimately wrong with your personality that might require therapy/counseling.

People suing everyone because they're "offended" with what they said or did. AHHHHHHH!

- i am carlos mencia

[post="14738"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Who is that? Is that like being Keyser Soze? :unsure:

Who is that?  Is that like being Keyser Soze? :unsure:

[post="14801"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Keyser Soze? I dont know who that is. But Mencia just got his own show on Comedy Central where political incorrectness is the whole plot. He does a lot of stand up too, and its some of the funniest stuff ive ever heard.

If you can't laugh at yourself then you must be a very unhappy person. I am sick of celebrating diversity! Let's celebrate what makes us the same! Political correctness comes from the same cancer that is spreading the Victim Society or Blame Someone Else Because I AM a Loser brand of thinking. And don't get me started on stereotypes! All stereotypes have a kernel of truth at their center. They may end up being distorted or exaggerated by time, but there is some truth. Besides: I am gay and I know more gay jokes than most people. My ex from a long time ago was black (well, he is still actually black, but he was my boyfriend - ah, nevery mind!) and he used to call his mother the N-word. (Probably still does!) Politcially correct my ass!

Political corectess is overrated. the way I see it, no matter what nationality, race, sex, sexual orientation you are... or physical features you do/don't posess there is a joke about you somewhere. I think people are way too uptight and need to lighten up about life in general and be able to laugh at themselves sometimes.

.... and its some of the funniest stuff ive ever heard.

[post="14810"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

im with you on that one :lol:

political correctness is bullshit plain and simple, i beleive in being approprite and polite but i never consider what i feel is acceptable in society into the picture and who voted for not enough, why do you say that? id like to hear your reasoning too? Edited by mute

^^ What he said ^^ Being PC has a lot to do with having manners. You can say the same thing multiple ways, but usually there is a rude way of going about it and a much more diplomatic way of going about it. For example, there is a very large girl I know, but when I am describing her to people, she has a "dominating figure" accompanied with a gesture that makes the point clear. Yes, she's fat, but she's also a very good friend. Homophobic slurs are unacceptable. Using "gay" in that manner is just wrong. There is nothing wrong with someone being gay, so why attatch negative connotations to the word "gay"? I don't get it and would rather err on the side of NOT hurting someone's feelings and pissing them off by using a word like "weird," "dumb," "strange," or "stupid" in its place. As for the black man saying the N-word...that's his prerogative, and I doubt he will offend many black people using it, but I still disagree with that. Ugly words like that need to die. It is a terrible, hateful word. Yes, some people really need to grow some thicker skin, and that is why I am against all those damned lawsuits over everything because that is just such an extreme and unnecessary overreaction. Those just escalate things. If someone gets offended with something, then just avoid the person and don't spend time with them and let them know they are engaging in boorish behavior. But don't fly off the handle and sue them. Although some people do need to grow thicker skin, others could be a little more sensitive (is it really that hard to not use certain words?) and avoid the issue altogether.

An example P.C. gone made is when a bunch of disabled people publically chided Jerry Lewis for using the term 'crippled.' A man who dedicated his life to the treatment of muscular dystrophy gets bitched at for using an accurate term. Get over yourselves, people. I think people get more bent out of shape than necessary over words not realizing that words themselves can't hurt, but the meaning behind them does. They use political correctness to shield them from the truth of their circumstances - 'differently abled' instead of crippled or disabled; 'mentally challenged' instead of retarded. These are words that are perfectly acceptable in everyday speech but somehow their use to describe someone's condition is unacceptable? Its doesn't change who they are or how certain people will view them and adds a masking aire of disingenuousness to the situation. I must take this moment for a personal rant against hyphen-Americans. I do feel the terms are incorrect and inaccurate. I give you this example: Who is more 'African-American' of the following? 1) A black man born, raised, and living in the USA. 2) An Egyptian man born in Egypt, but raised in the USA. 3) A white man born, raised, and lived most of his life in South Africa but is now residing in the USA. The problem I have with the term African-American is that if the qualifier for its usage is still 'being black', then why use the term at all? I would also argue it ignores the fact that the culture of an American black man and that of an African black man are quite different. No offense meant, of course; just my POV.

I must take this moment for a personal rant against hyphen-Americans. I do feel the terms are incorrect and inaccurate. I give you this example: Who is more 'African-American' of the following?
1) A black man born, raised, and living in the USA.
2) An Egyptian man born in Egypt, but raised in the USA.
3) A white man born, raised, and lived most of his life in South Africa but is now residing in the USA.
The problem I have with the term African-American is that if the qualifier for its usage is still 'being black', then why use the term at all? I would also argue it ignores the fact that the culture of an American black man and that of an African black man are quite different.

No offense meant, of course; just my POV.

[post="14857"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I work in a company that has no black employees in the offices. We have one girl who is from South Africa. We call her african-american all the time...... but she's cool with the joke.

^^ What he said ^^

Being PC has a lot to do with having manners.  You can say the same thing multiple ways, but usually there is a rude way of going about it and a much more diplomatic way of going about it.  For example, there is a very large girl I know, but when I am describing her to people, she has a "dominating figure" accompanied with a gesture that makes the point clear.  Yes, she's fat, but she's also a very good friend.

Homophobic slurs are unacceptable.  Using "gay" in that manner is just wrong.  There is nothing wrong with someone being gay, so why attatch negative connotations to the word "gay"?  I don't get it and would rather err on the side of NOT hurting someone's feelings and pissing them off by using a word like "weird," "dumb," "strange," or "stupid" in its place.

As for the black man saying the N-word...that's his prerogative, and I doubt he will offend many black people using it, but I still disagree with that.  Ugly words like that need to die.  It is a terrible, hateful word.

Yes, some people really need to grow some thicker skin, and that is why I am against all those damned lawsuits over everything  because that is just such an extreme and unnecessary overreaction.  Those just escalate things.  If someone gets offended with something, then just avoid the person and don't spend time with them and let them know they are engaging in boorish behavior.  But don't fly off the handle and sue them.  Although some people do need to grow thicker skin, others could be a little more sensitive (is it really that hard to not use certain words?) and avoid the issue altogether.

[post="14852"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

dominating figure? thats the stuff im talking about here. just say fat. if youre a fat person and it offends you, lose weight or quit whining. there are times to be tactful (like NEVER using the n word), but then there are times to just brush things off, ESPECIALLY something so minor as to call someone fat.

F political correctness, its bogus, it was aimed at straight white people while the rest were allowed to openly steriotype and degrade straight white people. I believe in being respectful until mutual respect has been violated, then its, get what you give. Im sick of this bleeding heart liberal yuppy BS. try if you can to imagine this world if it was built by these standards ??????? well I guess it never would have been built, they would still be bickering like a bunch of bitty bitches, inbetween snivels, and the first move would still not have been made. It took iron to get where mankind is today, there was no political correctness wimpy ass bullshit getting the job done.

F political correctness, its bogus, it was aimed at  straight white people while the rest were allowed to openly steriotype and degrade straight white people.

I believe in being respectful until mutual respect has been violated, then its, get what you give.

Im sick of this bleeding heart liberal yuppy BS. try if you can to imagine this world if it was built by these standards ??????? well I guess it never would have been built, they would still be bickering like a bunch of bitty bitches, inbetween snivels, and the first move would still not have been made.

It took iron to get where mankind is today, there was no political correctness wimpy ass bullshit getting the job done.

[post="14878"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:cheers:

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke. <_< :)

dominating figure?  thats the stuff im talking about here.  just say fat.  if youre a fat person and it offends you, lose weight or quit whining.  there are times to be tactful (like NEVER using the n word), but then there are times to just brush things off, ESPECIALLY something so minor as to call someone fat.

[post="14877"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, since you know so much about my friend and her weight problem, then you are well aware that she is the size she is because she has a rare disorder that gives her an allergy to phenylalanine causing her to swell up and retain a crazy amount of water while simultaneously slowing her metabolism, right? So it doesn't really matter that even though she runs and bikes miles a day, eats a restricted calorie diet, and lives a healthier lifestyle than the vast majority of people do, she needs to just "lose the weight"? OK Dr. Jackass...

How is refraining from using the N-word "tactful"? That isn't really an issue of diplomacy or tact, it seems like an issue of basic human decency.

I do take issue with saying "fat" is a minor thing. It is a very visible thing, and no more minor than anyone's physical imperfections. Overweight people are treated as lazy slobs with no self-control in society, and I really do not think this is a minor thing...it really is a whole category of prejudice.

I like to sometimes live dangerously. I told a very pregnent woman at work that the most dangerous place in the company is between her and the buffet.

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke. <_<  :)

[post="14889"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So, that's why there are so many lil' Blus running around...

Manwhore.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead