cimastain

Blame the Japanese for Front wheel drive

Three points.

1. The Americans, GM in particular, were leaders in FWD.

2. FWD isn't bad, it serves it's purpose for those that buy it.

3. You shouldn't have a Rear Wheel Drive mafia sig with a Fusion in it.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

Three points.

1. The Americans, GM in particular, were leaders in FWD.

2. FWD isn't bad, it serves it's purpose for those that buy it.

3. You shouldn't have a Rear Wheel Drive mafia sig with a Fusion in it.

199898[/snapback]

Couldn't have said it better. Edited by corvette_dude729

If you are going to blame people, lets make a list:

The Germans with thier DKW F1

The French with their Traction Avant

The Americans with their Cord Automobiles.

The list goes on. To conclude, the Japanese didn't invent FWD.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to find things wrong with the imports, but lets make sure that they are real hard-core facts we're dealing with. Thanks :]

Wow... this guy is so innocent... so... naive... so... "pure" ...

I think WPBHarry has just found a new friend in cimastain :AH-HA_wink:

Who sells more Fwd cars NOW tho as a % of their lineup?

Hon-duh.

199952[/snapback]

Citreon and Mini are 100% FWD and Saab will be once again when the 9-7 ends production.

Citreon and Mini are 100% FWD and Saab will be once again when the 9-7 ends production.

199987[/snapback]

Until the Kappa based roaster and 2+2 coupe arrive :P

Yeah, GM is really the company the popularized FWD in the US. They had a couple niche models for years (Toronado and Eldorado), but from 1980 they went on a FWD binge, turning out some incredibly dull, mediocre cars (X-bodies, J-bodies, A-bodies, N-bodies, etc)...and Chrysler got in the game in the same time frame and became 100% FWD (except for trucks) by the end of the '80s..

Not that there is anything fundamentally bad about FWD, it's just that GM did it so badly in the '80s, IMHO..

In 1980, Honda was all FWD, but Toyota and Datsun were still pretty much all RWD, IIRC.

Edited by moltar

I'd argue the first N-bodies were not dull nor mediocre. Much thought and planning went into the engineering of those cars from what I read and certain iterations, like the Calais 442, were very, very impressive for their day. I believe that Oldsmobile's Quad4 put out 190hp in the late 1980s.

The FWD A-bodies themselves are very much cars - doors, windows, engines, and that's it. However, they're rather strong and durable and you'd be hard-pressed to find one you cannot get running. They were still infinitely dull.

I'd argue that GM got it right in the 1990s, manufacturing some excellent FWD cars, especially the G-bodies, probably the epitome of front-wheel drive.

Greatest percentage of FWD, Citroen and MINI.

Greatest volume of FWD, General Motors.

200023[/snapback]

Greatest builders of FWD, General Motors.

Who else can get 300hp to the front wheels reasonably well?

I'd argue the first N-bodies were not dull nor mediocre. Much thought and planning went into the engineering of those cars from what I read and certain iterations, like the Calais 442, were very, very impressive for their day. I believe that Oldsmobile's Quad4 put out 190hp in the late 1980s.

The FWD A-bodies themselves are very much cars - doors, windows, engines, and that's it. However, they're rather strong and durable and you'd be hard-pressed to find one you cannot get running. They were still infinitely dull.

I'd argue that GM got it right in the 1990s, manufacturing some excellent FWD cars, especially the G-bodies, probably the epitome of front-wheel drive.

200029[/snapback]

and even the J-bodies, while we laugh at them today, weren't as terrible back then as we make them out to be. I see more '80 Cavaliers on the road today than '80 Civics.

the cavs really arent bad cars at all. crude? maybe....at times but fine transportation and from my experiences very reliable. one in particular i recall too some severe abuse and kept ticking easily past 100k. the seats definately do suck though.

as far as fwd, one of the most striking or memorable moments for for me

was 48 hrs w/ nick nolte/eddie murphy. there a scene with noltes caddy ? peeling out and the front tires spinning and smoking like no tomorrow and it just went.

perfectly executed.

the drive by wire sysyems and general lack of torque steer in the pontiacs, esp for me, are truly un invasive... obviously not the same as rwd but certainly liveable.

FWD sucks a$$, very true... most Japanese cars suck, also true.

But Japan is no more responsible for FWD than GM. There were

plenty of RWD cars from Japan when GM was going mental over

every god damn car haivng to be FWD in the early to mid 1980s.

Thank the J-body, E-body, W-body, N-body... and many other

GM, Mopar & Ford cars for bringing us mass FWD. I will agree

that moreso than the Americans Japanese cars with RWD tend

to be less obtainable.

The Japanese mentality of RWD is either you pay $40,000 for a

Lexus or Infiniti or you can go f&ck yourself in a FWD HonDUH.

Guest YellowJacket894

If you're going to point a finger, yeah, point it at the Japanese automakers. But not because they had front-drive cars before Detroit did, no. Detriot just wanted to have an advantage over Japan and show they were commited to putting new technology into cars and moving to the future. Too bad it eventually just gave the enthusiast the finger.

my take is Iococca and Chrylser really sold America on FWD by starting with the Omni and Horizon and then with the K car and original Caravan. The Citation was very influential also as well as the Ciera / 6000 / Century.

FWD = more efficient packaging / cheaper / more traction. All in all there's nothing to bitch about.

if you are going to complain, complain that GM etc. didn't update their cutlasses and reagls etc. fast enough. Why? Folks wanted the FWD?

Edited by regfootball

Yeah, GM is really the company the popularized FWD in the US.  They had a couple niche models for years (Toronado and Eldorado), but from 1980 they went on a FWD binge, turning out some incredibly dull, mediocre cars (X-bodies, J-bodies, A-bodies, N-bodies, etc)...and Chrysler got in the game in the same time frame and became 100% FWD (except for trucks) by the end of the '80s. In 1980, Honda was all FWD, but Toyota and Datsun were still pretty much all RWD, IIRC.

In 1979 (and earlier) there were many incredibly dull and mediocre (awful in numerous instances) FWD cars.... from japan and elsewhere abroad. All foreign imports:

audi fox

audi 4000

audi 5000

datsun F10

datsun 310

fiat strada

honda civic

honda accord

honda prelude

mitsubishi (Dodge/Plymouth) Omni 024/Horizon TC3

mitsubishi (Dodge/Plymouth) Colt/Champ

renault 5

renault lecar

saab 99

saab 900

subaru DL/GF/FE

volkswagon rabbit

volkswagon scirocco

There were other, less mainstream foreign FWD models imported.

This same year the only domestic FWD cars were the Eldorado/ Riviera/ Toronado, all on the E-Body platform and the Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon on the same ChryCo platform. All the rest of ChryCo's offerings (aside from the mitsu imports) were RWD, all of Ford's '79 offerings --with the exception of the German-built Fiesta-- were RWD, all the rest of GM's product were RWD.

In 1980, GM introduced the X-Body 4-some and the Seville in FWD, ChryCo & FoMoCo were in holding patterns.

To say GM 'made FWD popular' is to ignore the reality of the market prior to 1981.

To say GM 'made FWD popular' is to ignore the reality of the market prior to 1981.

200239[/snapback]

But aside from the Hondas, how many of those cars were actually popular? Like, what the hell is a Strada, if you catch my drift.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook