Sign in to follow this  
american_revolution_2005

Saw the new Silverado and test drove it.

56 posts in this topic

Well I didn't test drive it but my dad did. Our dealer had a Grand Re-Opening becasue it was renovated and they had a 2007 Silverado LTZ on loan from GM Canada. I was surprised they let some drive it. It set a very good impression. Everything was good about it except for the dash. It was a fully loaded LTZ with Nav and DVD. I am not a fan of the dash. i like the work truck set up much better. This had the 5.3L and when we fired up I couldn't believe it. I thought it had the Vortec Max in it because it sounded so powerful. It was loud and aggressive. I was surprised when we opened the hood. It was the 5.3L so I assumed the exhaust was just changed or something. It sounded different than the Tahoe for some reason. It was louder. The Silverado drove like a dream. You would never think you were driving a truck. The seats were plushy and the handling was extremely responsive and it didn't roll a lot on turns. We have winding valley roads in our area so we took it out on there. It handing nicely and extremely responsive. The bed wasn't shaky or anything. The cab is extremely quiet with little wind noise but some. The engine was excellent. It accelerated quickly and sounded nice. You could hear the engine was a V8. It wasn't a quiet engine but rather to my liking. I like the sound of V8s and it sounds so prominent and intimidating. We compared to our 04 Tahoe and it was much nicer. I like the sound of our Tahoe but we have a Magnaflow exhaust system on it so it is aftermarket. The Silverado however is much more responsive. Braking is also fast and responsive. This truck beats the crap out of any other in the segment. I am impressed and give it a 4 out of 5. The work truck dash looks nicer in my poinion but this truck is much more plushier than any other. It rides smoothly as well. I will post pics later but if you are in the GTA region and can get up to Orangeville in about half an hour then you could drive it yourself. It is located just off of HWY.10 North of Orangeville about 2 minutes north. Orangeville is located at the junction of Hwy.9 and 10. The dealer is Royal Chevrolet Cadillac.

Edited by american_revolution_2005

Here are the pics of the Silverado. Sorry for the quality. My camera screwed up or something plus it wasn't a nice day. This was when someone else was pulling away in it. I didnt get pics of the interior because it looks similar to the Tahoe and I should've brought my camera on the test drive but I would've left it in there. I have done that many times lol.

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Adjusting my monitor.)

hmmm...

(Adjusting my glasses.)

uh....

(Squinting.)

Nice. Thanks, AR2005!

I was in Central Minnesota today and saw a Silverado JUST like that. I didn't have time to stop, but was kind of suprised to see it as I didn't think they were at dealers yet.

I just saw a white LT....

AND GUYS-THEY"RE COMING!

They started shipping Silverados to dealerships this week....

I'm hoping for a test drive next week... :)

I sat in a Sierra at a dealer. Interior quality is far behind Ridgeline. Much of the switchgear, the corporate radio for instance, feels loose and is surrounded by hard plastic. The door shut with a tinny uncertain feel. Stepping back into my RSX I felt a world's of difference. This is supposed to unseat the F-150? No way, tactile feel alone on F-150 is better, not to mention design. GM needs to stop bragging so much when they don't have the goods to back it. I seem to recall them saying F-series didn't go far enough...

I sat in a Sierra at a dealer. Interior quality is far behind Ridgeline. Much of the switchgear, the corporate radio for instance, feels loose and is surrounded by hard plastic. The door shut with a tinny uncertain feel. Stepping back into my RSX I felt a world's of difference. This is supposed to unseat the F-150? No way, tactile feel alone on F-150 is better, not to mention design. GM needs to stop bragging so much when they don't have the goods to back it. I seem to recall them saying F-series didn't go far enough...

208083[/snapback]

Was it really that bad? Because I tend to trust your opinions quite explicitely......

I haven't explored a new Silverado extensively, but I was pretty impressed with materials and switchgear in the GMT-900 SUVS I've sat in.....

My biggest bitch with the new pickups is the bland and uninspired exterior styling.....I don't think they've moved the game along far enough.....

8) The GMC is HOT. That truck is so much better looking than the Chevy. Course both are big improvements over the last platform. :D

The Silverado I sat in was nice and was excellent quality just like the GMT-900 SUVS. Acuras may seem better quality but that is because they are. They are also more expensive and in a different class so that would be liek comparing this to an Escalade or Mercedes or something. They are good quality because they are meant to be. Chevrolet isn't luxury, quality is good but it isn't the best and it shouldn't be. That would raise the price quite a bit.

208083[/snapback]

What model did you sit in? WT, SLE1, SLE2, or SLT?

208083[/snapback]

Sarcasm, bias or trolling, take your pick.

What model did you sit in?  WT, SLE1, SLE2, or SLT?

208278[/snapback]

I believe it was an SLT or SLE, it wasn't the one with the Tahoe interior rather the more rectangular looking interior.

Was it really that bad?  Because I tend to trust your opinions quite explicitely......

I haven't explored a new Silverado extensively, but I was pretty impressed with materials and switchgear in the GMT-900 SUVS I've sat in.....

My biggest bitch with the new pickups is the bland and uninspired exterior styling.....I don't think they've moved the game along far enough.....

208216[/snapback]

From pictures, I honestly believed the Silverado dash was appealing, if just a little uninspired. My first experience with the 900s was at an auto show with Croc, where I found it to be pretty acceptable; Croc was disappointed with it, felt it wasn't that impressive and GM was still behind.

After sitting in the Tahoe, I felt as much as GM had advanced, the competition did not stand still. Door panels felt loose not totally sealed right, the gaps seemed large where the roof pillars met the lower expanses of the interior, the pillars were not cloth instead cheap rubber, the seats were hard and unimpressive, the center stack was uninspired looked like a 5 year old dash yet again, the switchgear on the doors looked and felt impressive and solid, but the switchgear on the dash was underwhelming, this was the sat nav model, the HVAC controls were not bad, the actual dash was made up of really underwhelming materials that just felt hollow.

This all applies to the Sierra I sat in, except the seats were great this time. Most disappointing was yet again that big GM radio that is in every other GM car, that is just not very stylish or current. Compare it to like the Ridgeline radio design and it's a loser. Ridgeline materials are hard palstic, but the graining is much better than the 900s, and the dash feels solid. It has strength, it doesn't give when you push in making it feel like it can come apart. The plastic has good tactile feel, and if you push on it, it's a pleasing plastic material, but it doesn't feel like I can take it apart. the armrest has a great cloth material, the switchgear doesn't move around in its position, it stays solidly, what a revelation, [admittedly, Honda has some of the best interior materials, so we are comparing the top here, Toyota still has this problem of cheap feeling switchgear]. The switchgear has excellent damping and precision. It all LOOKS unique and modern and stylish in a Honda Ridgeline, the Sierra looked behind the times and bland. It looked high quality and elegant, but behind the times compared to the Ridgeline.

Go ahead and spend some quality time in each one. Then you can have real information to back your opinion up. [not referring to OC, to others]

The Silverado I sat in was nice and was excellent quality just like the GMT-900 SUVS. Acuras may seem better quality but that is because they are. They are also more expensive and in a different class so that would be liek comparing this to an Escalade or Mercedes or something. They are good quality because they are meant to be. Chevrolet isn't luxury, quality is good but it isn't the best and it shouldn't be. That would raise the price quite a bit.

208268[/snapback]

you're right, but the Silvy should compare well to the Ridgeline, and should be much improved over the F-150. As it stands, it's not ten times worse than the Ridgeline, but it just doesn't seem like such a quantam leap above what was there before, nor is it as good as the F-series.

I believe it was an SLT or SLE, it wasn't the one with the Tahoe interior rather the more rectangular looking interior.

208401[/snapback]

The SLT gets the Tahoe/Yukon interior, so it must have been an SLE or WT. I was curious if there was a difference in materials quality between the different interiors, but it sounds like no from your Tahoe experience. I can't wait for a local dealer to get a truck in stock so I can go check one out in person.

Interesting I didn't think the Ridgeline interior was very good compared to other Hondas (like the Accord or Pilot) when I sat in one at the autoshow last year. Nicer materials than my 2000 GMC Sierra for sure, but that's not exactly hard...

ya know, it was just my opinion that the Sierra wasn't up to the par set by the Ridgeline. Once you spend serious quality time with the Ridgeline [and all Hondas really], you see how precise and great fitting everything is. Everything moves fluidly and has solid feel/sound. The GMC just didn't emit that, but I admit I am using a very high standard. As far as tactile quality, I also still didn't feel like it measured up, but the Sierra is good nonetheless, certainly as good as many consumers would hope for, it's the extra 50% of carbuyers who don't consider GM that would be wowed to find something totally unexpected in the Sierra's interior that I would seek to win over if I ran the company.

I understand your point in general, but with these trucks, what "50%" is GM trying to convice? Those who bought a Ridgeline are likely disinterested in traditional quarter-ton trucks anyway and I'm sure the defection rate among Dodge, Ford, and GM pickup owners is pretty low.

The current Tundra speaks for itself in terms of mediocrity and the Titan set the bar pretty low in terms of overall quality. The next Tundra is, of course, the challenger to beat but based solely on visuals alone, it is again a non-issue. Even ignoring that, the Tundra has its own issues.

The two unique dashboard configurations is pretty forward-thinking for this segement, showing that consideration was given between those that prefer a traditional, expansive layout and those that have become accustomed to the carlike SUV environment. If the -900s have improved where it counts - under the hood and below the sheetmetal - as they say they have, that is fine with me and likely the majority of those that would actually be in the market for a truck.

i guess you just get spoiled ina ll that honda greatness. :lol: the ridgeline is for people who want to be coddled while they drive. there is nothing substantial at all about that creation. it does not one thing special, except maybe the interior as yyou have alluded to. well big f'n deal. real trucks dont coddle you. you expect everything to be where youy nees and want it and thats it.

spend some time in them doing what they are supposed to do and you tell me what works best. some things you just cant copy.

these are the best damn trucks out there and it will be reflected in the sales. they are built to perform and surpass each previous generation and considering theyve been around almost 100 years theyve got a lot to work with.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this