Hypothetical

Camino LS6

Let's say you have 35k to spend on a "fun" car. Not a practical,logical,useful car - one that's strictly for fun.

Here are the conditions:

1) has to be a one-owner car

2) new cars not eligible

3) must have very,very, low miles for the year

4) must be collectible or potentially collectible

5) must be domestic

What would you buy?

Sorry to be a party-pooper, but if I had $35,000 I definately wouldn't spend it on a "for fun" car. I couldn't even see myself spending that much on my everyday car. I'd much rather put it into something like a bigger house.

225738[/snapback]

35k is just the limit. :AH-HA_wink:

Buick Grand National/GNX (if you can find one):

Posted Image

...and a second on the 90s Impala SS:

Posted Image

225735[/snapback]

totally second any GN .... would it be heresy to slap in a 5-6 speed stick behind it?

or would these cars be too "practical"

otherwise a corvette sounds the best.

varience... you found a pic i used in my facebook account for a while, that's funny and cool

Hmm...I'd take this list:

-'70 El Camino SS 454

-'59 El Camino 348

-'68 Eldorado 472 Coupe

-'71 Olds 442 W30 'vert

-'59 Impala 'vert

-'57 Chrysler 300C

-'05/'06 GTO 6.0

-'96 Impala SS

...and sleep on it. I can't make up my mind just yet, although I'm leaning slightly more towards the Eldo.

Edited by DetroitNut90

1929-1939s Cadillac, LaSalle, Pontiac or Buick.

As orignal as possible, preferably some unique

body style, dual cowl phaeton would be

awsome but for $35K a bustle back sedan or

something with suicide doors would be cool,

coachbuilt would be awsome.

Yeah... I love threads like this. :D

You should use this opportunity to make one of

those "Phantoms" you have thought up. How

about a Buick 1970 El-GSX, or how about some

455SD powered 1970 Pontiac El-GTO?

Let's say you have 35k to spend on a "fun" car. Not a practical,logical,useful car - one that's strictly for fun.

Here are the conditions:

1) has to be a one-owner car

2) new cars not eligible

3) must have very,very, low miles for the year

4) must be collectible or potentially collectible

5) must be domestic

What would you buy?

225702[/snapback]

The only think which will fit all these bills is 50th anniversary Z06.

1. Most of these are owned by old guys (possibly retired military officers) who know the $h! of them and in very pristine condition.

2. They have low miles, check autotrader most of them hardly go over 25k.

3. Hell yes it will be a collectible. 50th anniversary that too of a Vette does not come every year, well it will come NEVER.

Infact I am planning to buy one next year.

You can get a 2003 Z06 for less than $33K, I will buy the extended warranty if I was you which is about $1700 (which I checked at AA Autowarranty).

Plus my friend has a 2002 which actually gets him 29 mpg on the highway when he sets the cruise at 70 mph.

You absolutely cannot go wrong with it.

Edited by smallchevy

Whoever mentioned a turbo Buick had the right idea; you could get two pristine Grand Nationals for 35K. Another Buick I wouldn't mind having if I had 35K to burn on a toy would be a '49 Roadmaster convertible. There's plenty of stuff out there to be had with that large of a budget; all depends on what you like.

If it were me and you said it didn't have to be in pristine condition, 35K would just about get me the rough but complete '32 Packard Light Eight coupe-roadster i've always wanted :thumbsup:

Does the domestic owned rule apply if the company wasn't owned by a domestic company when the car in question was produced?  The answer to that will ddetermine if I say a 1973 Volvo P1800 or a '99 Corvette.

225785[/snapback]

To fit the bill, it would have to be domestic-owned at the time. But the P1800 is probably the most interesting Volvo ever.

Maybe it's because I'm just totally gay for these cars, but I'd take a '99 Buick Riviera Silver Arrow too; only 199 of 'em to go around (GM kept #200). One went on eBay last year for about 35K and it had seven miles on it, never driven, never titled, never even had any of the check stickers it leaves the factory with peeled off or anything. Came with every little piece of paperwork, its special cover still in the box, a bunch of promo stuff, etc. A former Buick dealership owner bought it for himself and had it trucked straight from the factory to his house where it lived in a heated garage until he died. His son was the one auctioning it off.

Hmmm....

Two-doors:

2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird?

Plymouth/Chrysler Prowler?

Chrysler Crossfire?

Ford Mustang Cobra? Original Mustang Shelby?

Slightly used Solstice/Sky?

Corvette has been mentioned.

I liked the Allante & Riviera Silver Arrow suggestions. I'd consider a pristine Buick Reatta myself.

Sedans:

Bonneville GXP?

Used CTS-V was mentioned.

For this price, a used STS-V might be available soon.

Final 500 Oldsmobile Aurora

Truck-like:

Chevrolet SSR was mentioned... but what about a Lincoln Blackwood?

Any 1930s (45* OHV) V16 car.... esp. a dual cowl phaeton.

Posted Image

If I was really greedy I'd ask for the one-of-one made,

1930 PininFarina bodied V16 boat tail roadster that I still

know very little about.

Who owns this car? WTF is the story?

Posted Image

Don't forget that I said a specific  car/model, Ven. :AH-HA_wink:

226026[/snapback]

Oops. Sorry. I got caught up in trying to guess the car that wasn't mentioned.

After looking, I think the Lincoln Blackwood would be fun. It would probably be the only way I'd ever own a truck... :lol:

Here's one I found for sale...

I can't believe no one has mentioned the one I thought was so obvious yet. :blink:

226018[/snapback]

A do-it-yourself 1:1 scale HOT ROD model car kit consisting

of a 1978 Jaguar, dissmanteled with the individual pieces

all in ziplock bags and labeled in cyrilic, and a brandy-new

572 crate motor mated to a M-22 trans.

Boo-yeah! :smilewide:

I liked the Allante & Riviera Silver Arrow suggestions. I'd consider a pristine Buick Reatta myself.

226023[/snapback]

I think someone would have to pay me 35K to own an Allante; to this day I don't know why their owners think they're worth so much money. My guess is that they expect us to try and compensate as much as possible for the mistake they made in buying them for $65,000 when new. I found it laughable that they advertised it to be an SL500 killer, when in reality it's just an Eldorado with a body stamped in Italy. I'm willing to bet most of the purchase price went to offset the fact that they had two commercial airliners retrofitted with special racks to fly the bodies over. As for the Buick Reatta, they're not worth a whole lot unless it's an '88 or '90 Select Sixty, one of which I wouldn't mind owning myself.

...& money enough left over for a set of 22" Gucci rims made

of platinum with diamond studded spokes with ruby & saphire

accents and fabrige' egg spinners.