Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The next big thing

balthazar

Was in Autozone the other day (>"You want it, you need it, we can't find it, we don't have it"<) and their magazine rack (!) had a rag with cars on 30" rims. There was a gold late '70s Impala on the cover with these... wagon wheels and 6 big chromed trumpet horns under the front bumper in a cluster, probably providing a 'cow catcher' function to nudge pedestrians and..... cows out of the way. I actually had to pick up the rag to see if it was pics of real cars or well-detailed scale models.

They were real alright.

Couldn't find anything better than this on the net, but just so you all are on top of things: 20"s (and 22"s and 24"s) are so 3 seconds ago.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ah yes, the latest issue of Donk, Box & Bubble; I know it well. I'm a manager at my local AutoZone and received it in our magazine shipment a few weeks ago. Proof positive that hood rats and white people that wish they were hood rats should be issued lifetime bus passes.

I don't get the title anymore than I get the trend. Some would say that makes me old. Allow me please to embrace 'old' and kiss it full on the mouth, with tongue.

230670[/snapback]

Okay, the whole godawful trend is based on the Chevrolet Caprice because that's all ghetto rats can afford. The words refer to the basic styles of the cars, so.....

Donk= 1970-1976

Box= 1977-1990

Bubble= 1991-1996

"Box" and "bubble" are somewhat clever, but "donk" is lost on me.

Saddly, yes I am aware of this trend.

Proof positive that just when you thought it could

not get any worse: (rice) you shoot yourself in

the foot. I prefer rice over this becasue it's at

least enjoyable to see HondAcuras get chooped

up and destroyed under a torch & sawzall. These

cars do not deserve to be molested and cut up.

I'm teling you, supidity IS a dominant gene. :(

These things are all over huntsville, al... which is where i grew up. I saw a guy once at the autozone i used to work at who had a grand prix and had to make a ten point turn to get out of a parking spot. These things have more ground clearance than a H2 nowadays. i have a buddy who has made these modifications for the idoits who will spend their money. He makes a killing on them simce he works at a dodge dealer and uses springs off of a one-ton ram to lift the cars. I think that it is junk though.

Saddly, yes I am aware of this trend.

Proof positive that just when you thought it could

not get any worse: (rice) you shoot yourself in

the foot. I prefer rice over this becasue it's at

least enjoyable to see HondAcuras get chooped

up and destroyed under a torch & sawzall. These

cars do not deserve to be molested and cut up.

I'm teling you, supidity IS a dominant gene. :(

230810[/snapback]

At least they're not modding the bodies... just the suspension and wheels. It's not like you couldn't take the body and stick a normal tire and suspension combo underneath again...

At least they're not modding the bodies... just the suspension and wheels. It's not like you couldn't take the body and stick a normal tire and suspension combo underneath again...

230827[/snapback]

Right..... and what about the fact that the original gauge clusters get thrown in the trash in favor of cheesy aftermarket digital ones usually? And the fact that they all get horrible carriage tops made of all sorts of disgusting velours and other fabrics, often times over the entire roof and not just the quarter roof the car originally came with? And the fact that many times the cars have their entire interiors ripped out and thrown away and replaced with aftermarket "custom" consoles and nonoriginal seats and door panels upholstered in fake Louis Vuitton prints and every other horrible thing? It's not as reversible as you make it out to be.

Quote for the ages:

Disis so stoopit, yo.

230670[/snapback]

And the fact that they all get horrible carriage tops made of all sorts of disgusting velours and other fabrics, often times over the entire roof and not just the quarter roof the car originally came with?

230828[/snapback]

Any worse than someone doing that to a new DTS? Or a Grand Marquis? Well, nevermind the GM - its a waste anyway.

I just have two comments that regardless of our personal like/dislike...

1) Would you rather see these cars scrapped as junk, wasted in a demolition derby, or kept quasi-alive as a rolling rustbucket spewing out toxic fumes or modified and at least appreciated by some, fostering a culture of admiration for Detroit iron, a culture that translates succesively into newer and less obscene models?

2) At least they're driving domestic.

I don't get the title anymore than I get the trend. Some would say that makes me old. Allow me please to embrace 'old' and kiss it full on the mouth, with tongue.

Disis so stoopit, yo.

230670[/snapback]

Not so much old....just equipped with enough brains to recognize such a waste of money and effort..... looks like way too many late nights in the garage with a torch and crack pipe.....unfortunate. Money is special, why waste it?

Those cars also take about 400 ft to stop from 45mph-riDONKulous cop magnets.

enjoyable to see HondAcuras get chooped

up and destroyed under a torch & sawzall.

"torch & sawzall" inplies there's metal getting cut. On a honda? Have you ever seen a civic up close after an impact? What little 'sheetmetal' there is is thinner than the paint. The body shop couldn't fix it if they even wanted to try; they just cut to the nearest seam and glue on another pressed tinfoil panel.

Right..... and what about the fact that the original gauge clusters get thrown in the trash in favor of cheesy aftermarket digital ones usually? And the fact that they all get horrible carriage tops made of all sorts of disgusting velours and other fabrics, often times over the entire roof and not just the quarter roof the car originally came with? And the fact that many times the cars have their entire interiors ripped out and thrown away and replaced with aftermarket "custom" consoles and nonoriginal seats and door panels upholstered in fake Louis Vuitton prints and every other horrible thing? It's not as reversible as you make it out to be.

230828[/snapback]

Obviously I don't know as much about the trend as you... <_<

Ah yes, the latest issue of Donk, Box & Bubble; I know it well. I'm a manager at my local AutoZone and received it in our magazine shipment a few weeks ago. Proof positive that hood rats and white people that wish they were hood rats should be issued lifetime bus passes.

230652[/snapback]

Dude you manage an AutoZone? Could ya get me a job? :lol:

Anyway, I hate this new fad...it's absolutely retarded. When I was in KS I saw a 90's Caprice "donked" It looked so dumb...who the hell came up with the moron name "donk" anyway? These people should not be allowed to own cars <_<