FIRST LOOK: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu

Flybrian

Why dont they make the base engine on the ltz the 3.5 or something and offer 3.6 on it...

whether real world it's 28 or 26, not everyone wants the 3.6's power or mileage....thats just highway, I cant wait to hear the city mileage.

I dont know why everyone says ohv's are rough. On the Century, as soon as the engine is warmed up (gm being cheap, stupid piston slap) you can barely tell that it's on. Sure some of it is sound deadening, but hell, thats where it maters, inside the car. I dont mind the roar's it gives out when you really get on it either, thats the awesome part!

new EPA ratings. It's competition will likely fall from grace also.

Well, now I feel better. My last rental (Chevy with 3500) exceeded the 31 mpg on two long jaunts (32.6 and 33.4).

I am hoping the 4 banger in this thing can reach 34 or 35 at "60 mph w/o AC" cruise mode.

I am hoping the 4 banger in this thing can reach 34 or 35 at "60 mph w/o AC" cruise mode.

Doesn't the current Malibu 4-cylinder do that?

Remember, on the highway it doesn't matter if you have a 17 speed or a 1 speed as long as the final drive ratio at cruise is the same.

ok.... so... why buy a Buick now?

I thought Buick was being set up to compete with lexus and the like. If that is the case, regardless of how nice the Malibu is, a Buick version would be nicer and more feature laden. I don't think that this vehicle would be compared to any of the offerings from lexus, mercedes, audi, bmw, etc....

With all that said, this Malibu is gonna kick honda, toyota, and nissan in the nuts. The Enclave is a nice start to the revamp, but Buick needs/deserves more...right now.

With all that said, this Malibu is gonna kick honda, toyota, and nissan in the nuts. The Enclave is a nice start to the revamp, but Buick needs/deserves more...right now.

Well, the new Malibu is certainly nice enough to do very well in the marketplace.....however, knowing current consumer perceptions, saying it's going to "kick Honda, Toyota, and Nissan in the nuts" is perhaps being a bit too optimistic.....

I really like this new 'Bu...my mom told me yesterday that my grandparents just got a new Malibu, i was like "ya know, they got a new redesign coming out later this year" but she said they couldnt wait, they actually had a Malibu when they first brought it back out back in '97 (i believe)

Whenever I get the money, i'd like to own one of these

I think the main competition for the malibu in this segment will be the 2008 accord since it will have that 4 door coupe look that is so popular.

Posted Image

The main problem I see is that the Camry comes with a more powerful V6 and the accord will probably have even more power. With magazines already praising Toyota for how class leading fast it is, being the third place American behind Honda and Toyota is not a good thing. Since fuel economy is usually close between all this classes competitors Chevy should try to lead this class in at lest one of the important stats like performance.

Edited by eldiablobanshee

I think the main competition for the malibu in this segment will be the 2008 accord since it will have that 4 door coupe look that is so popular.

Posted Image

The main problem I see is that the Camry comes with a more powerful V6 and the accord will probably have even more power. With magazines already praising Toyota for how class leading fast it is, being the third place American behind Honda and Toyota is not a good thing. Since fuel economy is usually close between all this classes competitors Chevy should try to lead this class in at lest one of the important stats like performance.

Wow, amazing, I haven't seen that before. Is that a chop, a concept, or a production model?

With LESS interior room, despite being on a longer wheelbase, goofy looking taillights, LESS 2.4 hp than last years models, no bluetooth or Nav, no bodyside protective moldings, generic looks like everything else side styling, ONLY 26 mpg with the one V6 option and lower power figures than the new Camry, Altima and probably 2008 Accord, I find this car very lacklustre! Why didn't they just take the current car and graft on the new front end, trademark round taillights and put a new interior in it. That at least would have kept the greater interior dimensions, better highway mileage, more distinctive looks and classy side trim and chrome accents of the current version. This car needs to go back to the drawing board RIGHT AWAY!!!! It's a classic case of one step forward and two steps back!

With LESS interior room, despite being on a longer wheelbase, goofy looking taillights, LESS 2.4 hp than last years models, no bluetooth or Nav, no bodyside protective moldings, generic looks like everything else side styling, ONLY 26 mpg with the one V6 option and lower power figures than the new Camry, Altima and probably 2008 Accord, I find this car very lackluster! Why didn't they just take the current car and graft on the new front end, trademark round taillights and put a new interior in it. That at least would have kept the greater interior dimensions, better highway mileage, more distinctive looks and classy side trim and chrome accents of the current version. This car needs to go back to the drawing board RIGHT AWAY!!!! It's a classic case of one step forward and two steps back!

The fact that you can call anything on the current Malibu "classy" not only scares me but destroys the credibility of your post :P

Seriously though, I see some of your points (No Nav, no Bluetooth, lackluster rear end, and a bit less hp) but it's still a huge step up and light years ahead in looks and performance over the current ugly piece of crap.

Also, I don't understand the interior shrink either if it's on a longer wheelbase.

Edited by Dodgefan

Posted Image

This roofline of this thing looks extremely familiar...

*cough*

Posted Image

*cough*

The fact that you can call anything on the current Malibu "classy" not only scares me but destroys the credibility of your post :P

Seriously though, I see some of your points (No Nav, no Bluetooth, lackluster rear end, and a bit less hp) but it's still a huge step up and light years ahead in looks and performance over the current ugly piece of crap.

Also, I don't understand the interior shrink either if it's on a longer wheelbase.

Well maybe the current Malibu doesn't look classy overall, but I do like the version with the chrome trim and fog lamps. It makes it stand out from all the plain looking genric sedans out there. And I can always tell a Malibu when I see one, good or bad as that may be. On that note the current Sebring has been banned by many as being ugly but I find it distinctive in a way even if it has some odd mismatched styling cues. Time will tell I guess by the sales numbers.

Go to GMTV and see the official intro from this morning. It looks much better than the pics we've seen. Its a dam nice car for the money. Its MPG numbers are not down their just based on the new EPA rules that apply for 08. It might be missing NAV and BT but it has ONSTAR turn by turn,stabilitrak, and remote vehicle start that others don't offer.

What the Malibu Press Conferene here: http://gmtv.feedroom.com/?fr_story=FEEDROOM171911

A good quote from Autoblog:

In person, the pre-production interior is excellent, and we're quite anxious to see the production hardware. GM's official photography made the front fascia appear to be a bit bulky, but the shape looks much better in real life, and the exterior in general shows an attention to detail that we're just not used to seeing from the General's mainstream vehicles. Overall, we'd say that the design and styling will be a strong asset when battling it out in the hyper-competitive midsize sedan market.

Also, here are some real-world pics http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-chevy-malibu-1/

I think it looks GREAT in these new pics; I really want to see it in person.

Okay, soi after Car & Driver gushes about how much they like the new 'Bu, they end the write up with this:

Whether this all-new Malibu will have what it takes to extricate buyers from their beloved Camrys and Accords is probably unlikely, even with that Cocoa and Cashmere trim. All we know is that finally Chevy has, at least on paper, its strongest challenger yet.

WTF?!?!?!?!?!

So, now eventhough this car has been praised WELL in advance of its debut, it still automatically doesn't have the goods to compete?!?!?! Will it ever?!?!?!?

Okay, soi after Car & Driver gushes about how much they like the new 'Bu, they end the write up with this:

Whether this all-new Malibu will have what it takes to extricate buyers from their beloved Camrys and Accords is probably unlikely, even with that Cocoa and Cashmere trim. All we know is that finally Chevy has, at least on paper, its strongest challenger yet.

WTF?!?!?!?!?!

So, now eventhough this car has been praised WELL in advance of its debut, it still automatically doesn't have the goods to compete?!?!?! Will it ever?!?!?!?

You forget how distorted the public eye is. The Malibu would literally have to be the Golden Goose to win over many Camry and Accord owners. And even then, they would complain that the feathers don't line up properly and the wingspan is too short.

• 1 month later...

WTF?!?!?!?!?!

Well, GM has a downright crappy reputation. If we look at what they build in the 80s, 90s and as recent as the last generation Malibu and Grand Am, much of it is well deserved. Let's face it. GM built extremely low quality, poorly engineered and horribly ugly cars for decades. Not only that but cars whose reliability and dependability record had been leagues behind not only Toyota and Honda, but Hyundai and Kia as well!. For years, GM had been playing the bean counting game trying to retain market share through under pricing the competition rather than putting out good products. They do not seem to realize the painfully obvious fact that the USA is a high cost country and there is no way a US manufacturer can discount its way past the Koreans and soon the Chinese and Indians. Sure, it appears to us enthusiasts that GM has finally turned the corner with cars like the new Malibu, Aura, Solstice, Sky, GMT900, etc. But the GM is going to need a few generations of great products and perhaps a decade or more to win back the hearts and minds of the car buying public. If Wagoner-Lutz & Company wants to speed up the process the new GM products must not only be as good or better than the Japanese competition. They have to be significantly and conspicuously better.

I disagree. The buying public is very fickle; the media worse. Just as the BMW 3 is the darling of the wanna-be-race-car set, the tide will turn and people will move onto the next flavor of the month. There is very little original thought out there. All GM has to do is build cars that these 30-something "writers" want to drive and all will be well in the universe.

I disagree. The buying public is very fickle; the media worse. Just as the BMW 3 is the darling of the wanna-be-race-car set, the tide will turn and people will move onto the next flavor of the month. There is very little original thought out there. All GM has to do is build cars that these 30-something "writers" want to drive and all will be well in the universe.

In terms of styling, performance and quality, I am sure GM can correct their past mistakes relatively briskly if they continue down their current path without reverting back to heaping out ugly cars while heeding every advice from the bean counters. However, even if GM builds cars that are every bit as good or better than Honda or Toyota, it'll take years before the car buying public changes their pre-conception of GM vehicles. The negative pre-conceptions out there are pretty deeply rooted from decades of churning out junk.

• 4 weeks later...

The Malibu will sell well because, it will suck up Impala sales of those looking for V-6 power in a smaller package.

The new Malibu will likely be the third best-selling midsizer out of the gate.

As the car starts to appear in neighborhoods around the nation. Comcord buyers that are sick of Toyota and Honda will give Chevy a look.

it'll take years before the car buying public changes their pre-conception of GM vehicles. The negative pre-conceptions out there are pretty deeply rooted from decades of churning out junk.

If that were true, then Hyundai wouldn't have suddenly become the darling of certain automotive media. Hyundai has gone from crap to amazing (according to JD Powers) and suddenly people are not embarassed to be seen in them; of course, that is assuming the media doesn't have it in for GM :)

• 2 months later...

The Malibu will sell well because, it will suck up Impala sales of those looking for V-6 power in a smaller package.

The new Malibu will likely be the third best-selling midsizer out of the gate.

As the car starts to appear in neighborhoods around the nation. Comcord buyers that are sick of Toyota and Honda will give Chevy a look.

The lack of bluetooth and NAV will hurt sales. The Camcord offers them and the Auribu doesn't. Almost all the leaders offers the bluetooth and NAV with the exception of the Sonata that should be updating soon. Headsup display would have been a nice feature that GM has had for over 10 years.

Edited by DeMAN