2007 Cadillac BLS Sport

Flybrian

GM Europe
2008 Cadillac BLS Sport

Posted Image

The 2007 Cadillac BLS Sport adds 18-inch wheels and lowered sports suspension for the front MacPherson struts and four-link rear axle. The chassis tuning ensures dynamic handling performance without compromising comfort and is designed to take full advantage of the range of powerful engines to give the dynamic performance that customers expect from Cadillac.

The BLS Sport interior is highlighted by the use of stylish aluminum trim instead of wood and the circular instruments have white numerals and red needles on a black background. A three-spoke leather steering wheel and a analog clock in the center stack come as standard. Optional refinements include leather seating surfaces.

Two 2.0 liter turbocharged gasoline engines respectively develop 129kW/175hp and 154kW/210hp, while a 2.8 liter V6 unit gives 188kW/255hp. The Sport also joins other BLS models in offering a direct-injected, common rail turbo-diesel engine fitted with a maintenance-free diesel particulate filter, developing 110kW/150hp). All units come with the choice of a six-speed manual transmission or an automatic with Sport Mode button, which allows the driver to select a sportier transmission shift pattern.

The optional state-of-the-art infotainment systems include high-quality audio units from Bose, a DVD navigation system with touch screen operation, a Bluetooth-enabled cell phone system with a hands-free kit and remote controls on the steering wheel.

The Cadillac BLS Sport goes on sale in January 2007.

Posted Image

I really can't tell the difference. Europeans won't either. GM needs to hurry up with the CTS and a replacement for this vehicle stat if it wants to be serious in that market.

I remember Top gear reviewed the CTS_V they liked the way it handles and the power but, in addition to all the chimes, they noted that it somehow felt cheap...not a quality product. Also it was too big (for a 3-series competitor). SO hopefully the new one addresses the quality (which I think it will), but they need a smaller competitor. A real one, not this handsome but fake car.

Yes, they didn't like the chimes. But the pinhead could have made the chimes stop by taking the keys out of the ignition while the door was open like a normal person.

It's not like it was a siren or a gong or the voice of Ethel Merman for gods sake.

Still ugly, irrelevant & an obvious SAAB rebadge. It's the second coming of the C!marron. :puke:

Still ugly, irrelevant & an obvious SAAB rebadge. It's the second coming of the C!marron. :puke:

Not quite..the Cimmaron looked like a Cavalier, had the same basic dash, etc. This car has it's own dash, unique sheetmetal, etc... though the DTS shares a platform with the Lucerne, I wouldn't call it a Buick rebadge..

I remember Top gear reviewed the CTS_V they liked the way it handles and the power but, in addition to all the chimes, they noted that it somehow felt cheap...not a quality product. Also it was too big (for a 3-series competitor). SO hopefully the new one addresses the quality (which I think it will), but they need a smaller competitor. A real one, not this handsome but fake car.

I realize that. The CTS is more along the lines of a 5-series and the new one will address the quality issues and chintzy interior from what we've seen and heard about it.

The next BLS will probably be much more of a competitor in the entry level luxury segment as well so I was just saying that GM better hurry up and make it happen.

Why so they are. If Cadillac ever wants to be taken seriously in Europe they have to stop these half-assed attempts at a "luxury car".

And, how does the current BLS compare to the original Lexus ES250 or Infiniti M30 and J30?

How does the BLS compare to some of the entry level Audis?

Given that Cadillac expects to sell hundreds of BLS in Europe and developed a business case accordingly to keep the price down and keep their retailer happy, how else do you expect to do things?

Is it the ideal model no, but it is not half bad and wished it was offered in the US.

I think you need to get your head out of fantasy land. For some reason I have read too many of your posts today and must close the day with this.

Edited by evok

And, how does the current BLS compare to the original Lexus ES250 or Infiniti M30 and J30?

How does the BLS compare to some of the entry level Audis?

Given that Cadillac expects to sell hundreds of BLS in Europe and developed a business case accordingly to keep the price down and keep their retailer happy, how else do you expect to do things?

Is it the ideal model no, but it is not half bad and wished it was offered in the US.

I think you need to get your head out of fantasy land. For some reason I have read too many of your posts today and must close the day with this.

Hah :P I like the BLS but you know the Europeans want something more out of their cars. They're picky like that :P I just think GM needs to build a proper 3-series competitor...that will get them more respect and more sales.

I think when Epsilion II comes out there needs to be a Cadillac version for north america.. infinity, Lexus, lincoln and Acura all have entry level front wheel drive sedans so why cant Cadillac?? I think if you made a sedan like this and priced it about $28,000 it would sell quite well.. of course it would only come with the 3.6L and 6 spd auto..

A new FWD sedan from Cadillac would be contrary to their mission. Mercedes and BMW don't fool around with FWD.

Right...Cadillac needs a compact RWD sedan that is competitive in the big leagues at home and abroad.

Hah :P I like the BLS but you know the Europeans want something more out of their cars. They're picky like that :P I just think GM needs to build a proper 3-series competitor...that will get them more respect and more sales.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You sound like Turbo200. More opinion than fact at this point.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You sound like Turbo200. More opinion than fact at this point.

Well, I'm not gonna push this into some big, exhausting argument. All I'll say is look at the reviews of Cadillacs from say, Top Gear, and also look at the sales themselves. A fraction of what they sell here. Considering BMW's 3-series outsells the Ford Mondeo (I think), they certainly have the moeny to buy a Cadillac, most of them just don't.

Well, I'm not gonna push this into some big, exhausting argument. All I'll say is look at the reviews of Cadillacs from say, Top Gear, and also look at the sales themselves. A fraction of what they sell here. Considering BMW's 3-series outsells the Ford Mondeo (I think), they certainly have the moeny to buy a Cadillac, most of them just don't.

Cadillac's new image hasn't yet achieved any traction in Europe... I think the general European perception of Cadillac is giant, chromey finned older American cars (think '59 Eldo) and Elvis...at least that's how a couple of European friends of mine put it...

Cadillac's new image hasn't yet achieved any traction in Europe... I think the general European perception of Cadillac is giant, chromey finned older American cars (think '59 Eldo) and Elvis...at least that's how a couple of European friends of mine put it...

So I've heard. There other problem with Cadillacs have been the interiors. The CTS-V for example is respected for it's performance abilities, but the interior drags it down and they look at it as "too big" since it's supposedly aimed at the 3-series. That sense of cheapness and being too plus-sized for their smaller roads and tastes is why I think it's never lit up the sales charts over there.. The STS? We don't even buy them here. The Escalade? Too big, and the last one was just a tarted up Yukon XL with a Cadillac grill (at least this one gets its own interior). I just thikn they need a smaller ca r under the CTS that's been designed to be a Cadillac from the start and not a Saab.

What does the BLS sell for over there?

If Cadillac could push the STS into the "executive saloon" category over time and the CTS could grow into a "E-class/5-series competitor, then a rear wheel drive Kappa based BTS/BLS could possibly compete with the 3-series, then they could possibly earn a reputation. I don't think it helps that most Europeans have a poor opinion of Americans and their taste in cars. I think Cadillac has to earn the reputation as a legitimate player in the European market over time like Hyundai has had to prove that it was a legitimate player in the American market. I dont understand why they are selling Escalades over there. The price of gas is steep and the roads are way too narrow for something like that. I can see the SRX possibly even being too large. I hope they will adjust to the European market if they want to take it seriously. I hope they understand that reputations take time to develop and are patient enough not to give up on the market.

Edited by K.C.

Now that I think about it, Mercedes does whore itself out with the A and B Class. But they don't here in America because Americans perceive them to be exclusive, luxury cars...those kind of vehicles would damage their reputation (so might the 1-Series). But in their home market where gas prices are insane it seems more excepted. So my thinking is this: A FWD BLS would be ok in Cadillac's home market, since as cavalier36 pointed out, Lexus, Acura, and Lincoln (although they're barely in this market anymore) have FWD entry level saloons. But, to be taken seriously, Cadillac needs a RWD entry level saloon to compete with the 3-series, and with a no-compromise interior (which means no corporate stereo).

Now that I think about it, Mercedes does whore itself out with the A and B Class. But they don't here in America because Americans perceive them to be exclusive, luxury cars...those kind of vehicles would damage their reputation (so might the 1-Series).

We get the B-Class in Canada, so it's likely only a matter of time before the States gets them too. <_<

The 1-Series stays pretty true to the BMW formula in that it has Rear Wheel Drive, and reasonably fun and efficient base engines.

one of the problems that Cadillac has is that it belongs to GM, and GM sells a spectrum of cars and shares parts and platforms. BMW on the other hand is BMW, nothing else. Yes the MINI is included, but its a British namesake, so they give it a free pass. The Sigma is a good start because it belongs only to Cadillac. However, a Kappa based car will be mentioned along the same lines as Vauxhall, Opel, Pontiac, and Saturn. Thus they will not be taken seroulsy. The XLR gets a free pass because it looks great and shares a Corvette platform, however, it gets dismissed on its own merits of a lackluster interior and not so great driving dynamics compared with the 6 series, SL, or Jag.

plus, europeans will always have a geniune dislike for anything american. whether its music, cars, or food.

I am sure you can google it?

Thank you mister helpful.

The BLS starts at approximately € 27,000 (roughly US$35,000).

That's a lot of money for Cadillac 9-3

We get the B-Class in Canada, so it's likely only a matter of time before the States gets them too. <_<

The 1-Series stays pretty true to the BMW formula in that it has Rear Wheel Drive, and reasonably fun and efficient base engines.

True enough about the 1-series...although I believe it's very cramped, impractical and has a low rent interior for by BMW standards.

one of the problems that Cadillac has is that it belongs to GM, and GM sells a spectrum of cars and shares parts and platforms. BMW on the other hand is BMW, nothing else. Yes the MINI is included, but its a British namesake, so they give it a free pass. The Sigma is a good start because it belongs only to Cadillac. However, a Kappa based car will be mentioned along the same lines as Vauxhall, Opel, Pontiac, and Saturn. Thus they will not be taken seriously. The XLR gets a free pass because it looks great and shares a Corvette platform, however, it gets dismissed on its own merits of a lackluster interior and not so great driving dynamics compared with the 6 series, SL, or Jag.

plus, Europeans will always have a genuine dislike for anything American. whether its music, cars, or food.

Well the Mini does get it's own platform.

About the Kappa as mentioned in another post: it's too small to build a 3-series competitor. Maybe Zeta though.

Edited by Dodgefan

Thank you mister helpful.

True enough about the 1-series...although I believe it's very cramped, impractical and has a low rent interior for by BMW standards.

Well the Mini does get it's own platform.

About the Kappa as mentioned in another post: it's too small to build a 3-series competitor. Maybe Zeta though.

How is the Kappa too small for a 3-series competitor? Wasn't there a concept sedan in Australia off Kappa platform? How large was that? Could the Sigma be trimmed to produce a proper 3-series competitor since the CTS is growing larger? I thought Zeta was to produce large cars. The Commodore is a D-segment car, right?

How is the Kappa too small for a 3-series competitor? Wasn't there a concept sedan in Australia off Kappa platform? How large was that? Could the Sigma be trimmed to produce a proper 3-series competitor since the CTS is growing larger? I thought Zeta was to produce large cars. The Commodore is a D-segment car, right?

I think VAT covers about 15% of that price...BTW

Kappa cannot be stretched (economically)..see a past bitch & moan by myself and Evok regarding Kappa limitations...

I would think a short Zeta (sharing Camaro wheelbase?) would be doable as a BLS replacement....sales in the US and a favorable dollar should enable sales in Europe at a profit.

(Just to be clear, the current BLS was projected at 20k/yr., then 10k/yr....they're currently selling 100 of these a month....that's 6% of original projections. That's a sound rejection of a transparently mediocre product, Cadillac, Saab, Opel or Chevy, it ain't worth the money.)

Edited by enzl

I think VAT covers about 15% of that price...BTW

VAT and other auto-related taxes differ greatly from country to country. As an example, in Portugal the BLS starts at EUR 39,650 while in Germany it starts at EUR 28,290.

(Just to be clear, the current BLS was projected at 20k/yr., then 10k/yr....they're currently selling 100 of these a month....that's 6% of original projections. That's a sound rejection of a transparently mediocre product, Cadillac, Saab, Opel or Chevy, it ain't worth the money.)

Well.... in Portugal the BLS has been non-marketed: I saw one ad in a magazine, I saw and sat in one at the Lisbon Auto Show... and that's it! I don't know if it's like that in the rest of Europe, but if it is then selling 100/month is quite an achievement!

VAT and other auto-related taxes differ greatly from country to country. As an example, in Portugal the BLS starts at EUR 39,650 while in Germany it starts at EUR 28,290.

Well.... in Portugal the BLS has been non-marketed: I saw one ad in a magazine, I saw and sat in one at the Lisbon Auto Show... and that's it! I don't know if it's like that in the rest of Europe, but if it is then selling 100/month is quite an achievement!

Ad campaigns in, at minimum, the major car rags in Europe....I scan or read CAR each month & I think they've been running at least a full page ad for the last 6 months, min.

100/mo. is a joke. I'm sorry. The BLS is a complete flop, by every definition there is of that word. Without ads they would be running higher than 100/mo. IF word of mouth was decent.

I like it, it's as much a 'real' Cadillac as the Escalade....

Exactly.

This is far from the blatant badge jobs of yore.

This car is handsome and very different in its segement, and convincing as a small Cadillac in Europe.

Is it fake to some of you because it's front drive, or because it's not on its own unique platform?

So then, that means that the DTS, Escalade (and variants), and the XLR are not being real Cadillacs either because they share their respective platforms with : Olds Aurora/Buick Lucerne (G-body), Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Silverado (GMT-900) and finally, Chevrolet Malibu, Opel Vectra, Saturn Aura, Pontiac G6, and Saab 9-3 (Epsilon). Uh-huh. I thought so.

For me, the BLS (BTS sounds so much better- I mean, BLS... BobLutzSpecial, BitLikeSaab, etc.) is the most appealing Cadillac because of its size and general styling. If it were rear-drive, then it would be a cakewalk. It's a very handsome sedan in the best style of A&S.

Ad campaigns in, at minimum, the major car rags in Europe....I scan or read CAR each month & I think they've been running at least a full page ad for the last 6 months, min.

100/mo. is a joke. I'm sorry. The BLS is a complete flop, by every definition there is of that word. Without ads they would be running higher than 100/mo. IF word of mouth was decent.

Being advertised and selling 100/month is bad, and sad. I haven't driven one and don't expect a FWD car to perofm on par with the BMW 3-series, but I can tell you from the BLS I sat in that the interior is very well put together and IMHO is not behind any competitor's.

That's great to hear that the BLS's interior seems to be on par with any of its competitors. The Europeans tend to be rather particular with their interior materials and fits, although loyalty seems to make them turn a blind eye more than anyone else.