G8 Teaser

I don't know what I'm talking about, eh? So, the personal attacks begin. I voiced my opinion about the car, and it stands. This car appears to have an excellent performance credential, but from a design standpoint, it is by and large flat. It certainly does not compare to the car in your signature. That is an American car. The G8, from what I've seen, lacks that passion in a good portion of its design. It has the same design failings, updated, that hurt the GTO. It is version 2.0. Edited by ocnblu

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pontiac finally gets the car Acura should have built. :booyah:

I like it. I don't see this hurting CTS sales at all. It is aimed straight at Charger/300C buyers.

Bravo Pontiac. :cheers:

Note to GM: increase Pontiac & GMC's warranty to match Buick's with the G8 debut. No more second-class citizen treatment at BPG dealers. Make it a premium destination across the board.

I didn't like the hood scoops on the GTO and I still don't like them here but I guess I need to get over it, the rest of the car is conservatively styled but handsome. I'm not really interested in a please look at me penis extender vehicle.

I don't know what I'm talking about, eh? So, the personal attacks begin. I voiced my opinion about the car, and it stands. This car appears to have an excellent performance credential, but from a design standpoint, it is by and large flat. It certainly does not compare to the car in your signature. That is an American car. The G8, from what I've seen, lacks that passion in a good portion of its design. It has the same design failings, updated, that hurt the GTO. It is version 2.0.

There are few perfect designs and there is no need to argue about here as the market and time will prove if it is good or not.

As for the need for AWD. Please if you can't drive RWD in the now you need to hand over the keys now. That is when driving becomes fun, steering witht he long pedal is one of the few things to look foward to in a messy winter.

:rolleyes: So the 04 GTO did not come with hood scoops and everyone BITCHED!!---So they fixed that but everyone still BITCHED!!---Now on this ALL NEW G8 sadan Pontiac adds hood scoops and GUESS WHAT HAPPINS???---- :hissyfit: ----YEP MORE BITCHING!! It seems NO MATTER what they do there will allwase be those who LOVE TO BITCH!! <_< This is a dramiticly styled RWD opt V8 powered muscle sadan that SO MANY have been wating for for many YEARS but what happins???---BITCH!!---BITCH!!---BITCH!! Who of all those BITCHERS actually works for the other Domestic or Asian manufacturers?? :scratchchin:

Yeah so we bitch, we just want cars to sell so GM is profitable. So while we're at it, I'm going to bitch about your post...learn how to spell or get a dictionary! God that post was horrendous! :blink:

I don't know what I'm talking about, eh? So, the personal attacks begin. I voiced my opinion about the car, and it stands. This car appears to have an excellent performance credential, but from a design standpoint, it is by and large flat. It certainly does not compare to the car in your signature. That is an American car. The G8, from what I've seen, lacks that passion in a good portion of its design. It has the same design failings, updated, that hurt the GTO. It is version 2.0.

I'm sorry it was construed in that way. This was not a personal attack, more of a "I couldn't completely disagree with you more". I wanted to give a completely divergent viewpoint, so that it was just out there. So that the reaction would be lessened to your opinion. You gave a very strong opinion. And to hold some weight, I tried injecting what I thought was strong about the design, and especially in comparison to what was there before. I still don't beleive you are right. But we can each have out own opinion, and feel free to disagree with one another. I thought that was point of discussion and discourse? Feelings should not go into it. I just couldn't disagree with you more, especially what you've said above. Edited by turbo200

Pontiac finally gets the car Acura should have built. :booyah:

I like it. I don't see this hurting CTS sales at all. It is aimed straight at Charger/300C buyers.

My thoughts exactly. Honda/Acura has been very boring as of late and I solidly take this car over a TL. As for the CTS being afraid, it really doesn't need to be. I see this car just like you do, well except also taking on entry-level luxury cars like the TL too but that's kind of treading into CTS territory.

Wallpapers... Yahoooooooo! I am staying up till mid-night to get the images off of GM's Wieck!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thats all I got for yah so far... The Charger RT is gonna get :pokeowned: Can't wait for a comparo test! :AH-HA_wink:

Where did you get those? They aren't on the GM wieck site.

There are few perfect designs and there is no need to argue about here as the market and time will prove if it is good or not.

As for the need for AWD. Please if you can't drive RWD in the now you need to hand over the keys now. That is when driving becomes fun, steering witht he long pedal is one of the few things to look foward to in a messy winter.

I would guess most people can't drive a 360HP RWD vehicle in the snow. The GTO would be near impossible to drive in more than a dusting, I think. The other day I was driving (no snow) and just going around a turn at a normal speed, and the rear end broke loose with traction control on. Of course, I'd be going slower than normal speed in the snow, but there would be absolutely no business in driving it in more than an inch or so of snow. The rear end would constantly be sideways, and most people don't want to deal with that.

you don't know what you're talking about. this athletic design has more sport, more aggression, more tension, more stealth, and mroe good design sense than any Pontiac in decades. Boring is the GP that looks geriatric with its big old butt and nasty overdone wedge shape. This is a Pontiac that will help thier image.

This is a Pontiac I could actually see myself buying, rather than renting..

Where did you get those? They aren't on the GM wieck site.

I would guess most people can't drive a 360HP RWD vehicle in the snow. The GTO would be near impossible to drive in more than a dusting, I think. The other day I was driving (no snow) and just going around a turn at a normal speed, and the rear end broke loose with traction control on. Of course, I'd be going slower than normal speed in the snow, but there would be absolutely no business in driving it in more than an inch or so of snow. The rear end would constantly be sideways, and most people don't want to deal with that.

SNOW TIRES. 4 OF THEM. :)

Of course, if I bought one of these, I wouldn't drive it when it snows..that's what my SUV is for..

Well, I'm seriously late to this thread.....

....but I LOVE this car.....!

It embodies everything I think Pontiac should be.....NOT a BMW "clone".....a true, American performance division. Pontiac had that image all to themselves, but GM hung a noose around their neck and DCX RAN away with that very image with the LX Hemi's....and the SRT-8s.

This is GM's way of getting it back.

BUT they need a CONSISTENT VISION across the entire division. I only hope G8 points a very serious direction for the future of Pontiac.

Nice job GM....!

SNOW TIRES. 4 OF THEM. :)

Of course, if I bought one of these, I wouldn't drive it when it snows..that's what my SUV is for..

Well, I'm personally not too confident that snow tires get better traction in snow than performance tires get in dry conditions. Therefore, I'm pretty sure you'd still be sliding around most of the time. A V6 might be ok, but when you have 360+HP and 390+lb-ft of torque available very low in the rev range, you're going to be sliding.

Well, I'm personally not too confident that snow tires get better traction in snow than performance tires get in dry conditions. Therefore, I'm pretty sure you'd still be sliding around most of the time. A V6 might be ok, but when you have 360+HP and 390+lb-ft of torque available very low in the rev range, you're going to be sliding.

I've driven with snow tires in the winter..they work. Snow tires and traction control, should be fine..

They did pretty much nothing but split the grill in half and stick an arrowhead in the middle. Not even the wheels are new. I know that's what we were to expect, but it still irritates me. The Pontiac design heratage is being muddied up. The Commodore is a good looking car, it's just not Pontiac.

Oh God, here we go with this goddamn talk again. Unless you jump back and forth between frickin' Australia and the US, shipping over CKD Holdens, why does it even matter that the first on the chassis was badged with the lion instead of the arrowhead?

The casual car buyer doesn't keep their nose stuffed in these magazines, so it will be something fresh and different to them.

To be edited as I go along quite a long thread.....

Oh God, here we go with this goddamn talk again. Unless you jump back and forth between frickin' Australia and the US, shipping over CKD Holdens, why does it even matter that the first on the chassis was badged with the lion instead of the arrowhead?

The casual car buyer doesn't keep their nose stuffed in these magazines, so it will be something fresh and different to them.

To be edited as I go along quite a long thread.....

Exactly..this car is completely new to the NA market.. 99% of the general car buying public have no idea what a Holden is, let alone where Australia is...

This would be a completely different story if Pontiac took a current NA market Chevy and tweaked it to be a Pontiac (which they have done in the past).

Edited by moltar

Dodge Charger sales for 2006 - 114,201.

Potential market for Pontiac G8? At least as many, given all those frustrated GM fans who have been moaning about getting this car for 11 years since the B-Body died.

Plus the same number again for the Zeta WM long-wheelbase (118.5 inches) version fo the 2010 BelAir/Caprice/Impala/Whatever.

So, of course this car is coming to the Oshawa, ON plant.

Won't beat an Charger Hemi with 390 ft. lbs and high thirteens, though.

"Might catch a door but you'll never lose her".

Since this is the 'G8 Teaser' thread, this will be closed as soon as full information is allowed to be release at approx 12:01AM.

You may continue the discussion in one of the three new G8 press release. specs, and image gallery threads. Be sure to vote in the Image Gallery thread as well.

Thanks!

my grandparents have been waiting on this so they can replace their 97 bonneville. they kept asking when the rwd cars were coming back and i guess they'll be happy to know they can trade the bonne in another year. kinda odd my 72 year old grandpa wants a v8 sedan but hey thats how i got my 69 impala... maybe i'll be the 2nd owner of a G8 later on too.

AWD only helps on initial acceleration but once up to speed it does little and does nothing for stopping.

We drove A bodies including GTO's for years on poor Bias snow tires and it was never an issue here in the snow belt. I even have 2 winters in a GMC Sprint SP with a BBC. [a Elcamino SS for GMC]

Good tires and a LSD [Eaton still calls it a Posi unit yet today] rear make a big differance.

The only thing poorer today is the driving skill of todays drivers. After years of FWD and electronic controls many just have poor skills today. Imagine what it will be after years of self parking and collision warning.

Been driving RWD in the snow for near 30 years and even got my license in the snow in a 76 Buick.

All I can say is if you lack any kind snow driving skills and buy a G8 remember one thing. Pontiac Builds Excitment!