G8 Teaser

Whoa...!

That looks great!

Will this make it to Canada?...

its been stated in this thread it was designed with North America in mind, so it should pass out crash tests and should be made available up here.

Even if it doesn't come up here, if it drives half as good as it look, I won't care, I'll grey market it if I have too.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pontiac isn't letting its Australian connection go that easy with the demise of the GTO. Instead, it's bringing back a 4-door relative based on the Holden Commodore SS, but rather than use the GTO badge, it calls this sedan the G8. The base model is equipped with a 261-bhp 3.6-liter V-6, which also boasts 250 lb ft of torque, which it delivers to the rear wheels through a five-speed automatic with sequential shift mode. The big dog G8 GT is powered by a 362 bhp 6.0-liter V-8, which produces 391 lb ft of torque. GT buyers will be able to select from either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission, although the manual option will be added after the car is launched.

Riding on 114.8-in. wheelbase, the G8 has a fully independent suspension and four-wheel disc brakes. Curb weight on the V-6 models is 3885 lb., while the V-8 GT tips the scales at 3995 lb. Unlike the GTO, which was a four-passenger vehicle, the GT has seating for five thanks to the three-passenger rear seat. The G8 has Pontiac's trademark split grille and rides on standard 18-in. wheels. The GT offers optional 19-in. alloys. A sport package that includes a rear wing is available across the board. The G8 is slated to go on sale in August as a 2008 model.

Nice :thumbsup:

Looks amazing. very agresive yet a little understated. I love it. Interior, looks great as well except for the colour combo. But we only have 1 interior pic so can't really judge it yet.

The only thing I can be elt down on is drivetrains. It better get at least the LS2 in top trim. The reviews for the chasis in AU are awsome. They say it drives like a 5 series should drive, like the last generation pure driving maching 5's not the over tecknoed ones we have today.

dammit, why cant it have the LS2!!!! it wouldve been perfect than. errrrr.... guess ill ahve to settle for halfway perfect. At least it gets the 6 speed auto... I communte in to much traffic to bother with a stick.

dammit, why cant it have the LS2!!!! it wouldve been perfect than. errrrr.... guess ill ahve to settle for halfway perfect. At least it gets the 6 speed auto... I communte in to much traffic to bother with a stick.

It gets a 6.0 litre.

f@#k my 45 commute across TO, if I can live with a 5spd in my $h!-fire, I can deal with a 6 speed in that $h!-kicker :D

Little dissapointed in the engine though. That thing is gonna chug fuel like nobody's business, espeically at almost 4000lbs. An engine with DOD or whatever its called would have been nice

Absolutely gorgeous...my long wait for a Commodore is finally over--hopefully a new El Camino will be soon to follow...

Edited by DetroitNut90

It gets a 6.0 litre.

Yeah but is should have at least 400 hp and 400ftlbs. I know its not that much weaker but it would have been nice if it could KILL the 5.7 charger instead of just beating it. It'll still be quick but with all of the old LS2 cars going out of production or having the engine replaced it would have been great to see the capacity used in the G8. I guess they are just totally getting rid of the LS2 in favor of the LS3. We'll probably see that in the G8 in like 2 years.

The really good news is a loaded one can't be more than 35k if the pricing info we've seen is right. That means I'll be able to afford a loaded GT :thumbsup:

Edited by intrigued

Yeah but is should have at least 400 hp and 400ftlbs. I know its not that much weaker but it would have been nice if it could KILL the 5.7 charger instead of just beating it. It'll still be quick but with all of the old LS2 cars going out of production or having the engine replaced it would have been great to see the capacity used in the G8. I guess they are just totally getting rid of the LS2 in favor of the LS3. We'll probably see that in the G8 in like 2 years.

The really good news is a loaded one can't be more than 35k if the pricing info we've seen is right. That means I'll be able to afford a loaded GT :thumbsup:

Well, the 362 hp definitely beats the 5.7 Hemi's 350hp...

I bet they will do a 400+ hp GXP model to compete with the SRT8 if the GT is a success...

Edited by moltar

The interior materials alone, will destroy the Charger. The engine is just fine in my opinion.

And the exterior design..the G8 looks much better than the Charger, IMHO...can't wait to see it in person...

And the availability of a manual immediately puts the G8 above the Charger and 300C as far as I'm concerned...

Edited by moltar

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like the way they morphed the SS into a Pontiac! I think this makes a good top-of-the-line Pontiac, but there's no way in Hell I believe this will be US$25K with a 6.0L V8 engine! Maybe the US$25K number was a typo? Edited by ZL-1

I only wish the V6 had a manual option, as that would have been the most likely combo for me. Guess I'll be forced to go with the V8 8)

I like the way they morphed the SS into a Pontiac! I think this makes a good top-of-the-line Pontiac, but there's no way in Hell I believe this will be US$25K with a 6.0L V8 engine! Maybe the US$25K number was a typo?

I belive that is the base price for a v6 model. I imagine the base GT will go for about 29k with maybe 3-4k in options.

This car looks fine. It reminds of three vehicles:

The current Grand Prix GXP

The late Bonneville GXP

and the Grand Am (grille)

I see nothing wrong with it. It looks like a Pontiac Bonneville GXP in the front. The back reminds me of current Grand Prix. The over all theme is very current Grand Prix GT and GXP. Let's see how it sells.

I can say one thing about the interior:

It is not hard gray dull past Pontiac plastic. There is some color in the interior. This car deserves a fair shot. It is not offensive or ugly.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Don't forget, this is a show car and some things will change for production. I'd take one as is, but I'm a stickler for the details, like the wheel/tire/brake package. :AH-HA_wink:

Yes...hopefully those wheels show up, though..they are pretty slick looking, iMHO...not the usual dull 5-spoke.

Don't forget, this is a show car and some things will change for production. I'd take one as is, but I'm a stickler for the details, like the wheel/tire/brake package. :AH-HA_wink:

TO HELL WITH YOU AND YOUR :AH-HA_wink: !!!!!!!!!!!

:hissyfit: <----- Me wanting to know.

If anyone, public or media alike, bitches that this car is too "badge-made" or nitpicks little details here and there, I will personally hurt them.

The fact that we are finally getting a vehicle of this caliber, at any price and from any brand, that we are going from the third-world (in comparison) old Bonneville and current GP to this, and that there may finally be a more mainstream domestic sedan unbeatable in just about every category, is essentially unbelievable.

But BOY is it ever going to attract the lines...unless, of course, stupidity reigns, and we get into debates of the hardness of a radio surround, lack of completely new (however unnecessary and unwanted) body lines and pieces, etc. Let's hope intelligence and desire prevails...

exactly

TO HELL WITH YOU AND YOUR :AH-HA_wink: !!!!!!!!!!!

:hissyfit: <----- Me wanting to know.

It's always fun to get a visit from Cap'n Cryptic, isn't it?... 8)

Back in the 60's, Pontiac's were Pontiac's, not Holdens with sticker headlamps and a sticker grille (just like Lightning McQueen).

The body lines look like an old Malibu and most of the interior looks to be hard, cheap plastic. Caddycruiser, you got to catch me to hurt me and you couldn't catch me in that tub.

However, since I've pulled your leg for a few minutes, I look forward to seeing it at the show next week. Nothing looks as good in pictures as it does (or doesn't) in person. Pontiac needs to become GM's sporty (performance) division again, hope the G8 will help.

And here is comes, creeping; the derision:

>>"why cant it have the LS2!!!! it wouldve been perfect then."<<

>>"the availability of a manual immediately..."<< Oops: {the manual option will be added after the car is launched.}

>>"That thing is gonna chug fuel like nobody's business, espeically at almost 4000lbs. ...DOD would have been nice"<<

>>"it should have at least 400 hp and 400ftlb"<<

>>"The hood vents give the face of the car an Aztek-like feel."<<

>>"Apart from the odd nose..."<<

So far- my theory seems to be holding water....

Well what is so criptic??

If you look at the brake package it is from a high end Holden performance model as are the wheels.

Now that is not to say it may not be available as it may later but your not going to get it on a $25K V6.

You should expect a GXP or like performance model later that will give us more [LS3?] power, brake and wheel but it will be well north of $35K.

The parts are at Holden and just need to be bolted on but they are not cheap. Just as the Charger starts in the high 20K range the SRT will cost you over $40K if you want to go real fast.

As with any new model GM and Pontiac seldom give you the high end and performanc models the first year. Fiero GT second year, Trans Am GTA 3rd year if I recall correctly, GTP GP later in its life cycle, the GXP G6, Solstice GXP 2nd year and just this year and the new CTSV will be here in 09.

You only need to be an observer of GM and Holden to have a general idea of where this car is going and what is possible.

No matter what Pontiac has a good parts bin to pick and chose what perfomance parts they may want to use. With the Impala and Camaro coming I am sure more and lower cost performance items will be available. The concept of a world platform will give GM divisions many options and quick changes with use of parts from cars in other markets.

Next lets see what the 2 door Holden will look like and hear offically if we really are getting it here.

Edited by hyperv6

BTW, I like it. It's still bold, yet it's an understated and buttoned down counterpart to the 300/Charger duo. ^ I prefer it without the nostrils, thanks, but the spoiler is a nice touch - I like it better than the Holden's rear wing.

-RBB

Thanks, Holden! You already installed cheap looking, Pep Boys taillights in this car! Now it looks like every other loser who thinks Altezzas look cool! You know how utterly ridiculous Altezzas look on, say, a Mustang? It ruins the identity of the car. It does the same thing to this "Pontiac". Oh, and Holden, thank you for the boring ass Aussie styling from the windshield back! <_< You've managed to give us another basically boring, dated bodyshell with a thin layer of "sportiness" sprinkled on. At least they didn't put that stupid, high wing on it.

Good things:

3.6L entry level, should do a lot to make it more successful than GTO.

Front end styling.

Everything under the skin.

Low, classy rear spoiler.

Excellent interior.

Manual availability, at least in the V8.

Thanks, Holden! You already installed cheap looking, Pep Boys taillights in this car! Now it looks like every other loser who thinks Altezzas look cool! You know how utterly ridiculous Altezzas look on, say, a Mustang? It ruins the identity of the car. It does the same thing to this "Pontiac". Oh, and Holden, thank you for the boring ass Aussie styling from the windshield back! <_< You've managed to give us another basically boring, dated bodyshell with a thin layer of "sportiness" sprinkled on. At least they didn't put that stupid, high wing on it.

Good things:

Front end styling.

Excellent interior.

:rolleyes:

Well it looks like from what I have read so far that I am out on buying this car and I am so pissed!

How can they not offer AWD as an option. I can't believe this I hope that you can and we just have not heard about it yet.

I will be so mad you guys have no idea. I need AWD where I live and I really want this car, but GM messed up. I mean the one car that I like a lot. And it looks like I won't be able to get it. (I love the CTS also but I can't afford it)

:rolleyes: So the 04 GTO did not come with hood scoops and everyone BITCHED!!---So they fixed that but everyone still BITCHED!!---Now on this ALL NEW G8 sadan Pontiac adds hood scoops and GUESS WHAT HAPPINS???---- :hissyfit: ----YEP MORE BITCHING!! It seems NO MATTER what they do there will allwase be those who LOVE TO BITCH!! <_< This is a dramiticly styled RWD opt V8 powered muscle sadan that SO MANY have been wating for for many YEARS but what happins???---BITCH!!---BITCH!!---BITCH!! Who of all those BITCHERS actually works for the other Domestic or Asian manufacturers?? :scratchchin:

Guest YellowJacket894

Looks like gm4life already has a good photo of it.

No one answered my question, either:

Now, which bank do I rob to get one of these?

:rolleyes: So the 04 GTO did not come with hood scoops and everyone BITCHED!!---So they fixed that but everyone still BITCHED!!---Now on this ALL NEW G8 sadan Pontiac adds hood scoops and GUESS WHAT HAPPINS???---- :hissyfit: ----YEP MORE BITCHING!! It seems NO MATTER what they do there will allwase be those who LOVE TO BITCH!! <_< This is a dramiticly styled RWD opt V8 powered muscle sadan that SO MANY have been wating for for many YEARS but what happins???---BITCH!!---BITCH!!---BITCH!! Who of all those BITCHERS actually works for the other Domestic or Asian manufacturers?? :scratchchin:

Some people will whine about anything...the only way they are happy is when they are complaining...

Well it looks like from what I have read so far that I am out on buying this car and I am so pissed!

How can they not offer AWD as an option. I can't believe this I hope that you can and we just have not heard about it yet.

I will be so mad you guys have no idea. I need AWD where I live and I really want this car, but GM messed up. I mean the one car that I like a lot. And it looks like I won't be able to get it. (I love the CTS also but I can't afford it)

Buy a set of 4 winter tires. Problem solved.

It will probably have traction control....put on a good set of snow tires and it will be fine for winter use...

As it's own car, this is a beautiful Pontiac. It's amazing that the additions Pontiac made actually made the car more appealing, instead of less appealing which is usually the case, and was with the GTO, imo. I love that the headlights complete the look that is fairly reminiscent of a last gen 7-series, and I think that's great. The attention to sheetmetal really gives this car the presence of a 30k car, and I love that the front end really does flow with the the rest of the car, adds more dimmension to the design, and doesn't go overboard. And that rear wing is actually a huge improvement! Nice!

That interior of course is fantastic, and Pontiac will now have definitely one of the best sedans in its price category, especially if they can get under 30k with a 6 cylinder version. What would kill is if the V6 had these mods, or similarly good looking mods and wheels.

I could complain that Pontiac didn't go in a different direction, but that would be missing the relevance of the statement of releasing this car. It's so important and so great that Pontiac gets a RWD Zeta, and is the first out the gate. I hope for their sake, the marketing is there, the pricing and content are super competitive, and that they easily surpass the 50k mark, all retail. That would fantastic, and way more than the predecessor Bonneville could have ever dreamed of. Well, this is way more car than Bonneville ever was.

EDIT: The paint job is amazing. The rear, although derivative, looks great.

Edited by turbo200

I like it, turns out that it's a very nice evolution of the Grand Prix.

I thought the same thing too!! I see the Bonneville GXP in the front and the current Grand Prix in the rear. It is like it combines the best of those two cars into one rear drive car. That is the way it has to be. Since Pontiac and Buick and GMC are in the same dealership, Pontiac gets the midsized car that does not clash with the Buick, and Buick gets the fullsized car that does not clash with the Pontiac.

Good things:

Front end styling.

Excellent interior.

you don't know what you're talking about. this athletic design has more sport, more aggression, more tension, more stealth, and mroe good design sense than any Pontiac in decades. Boring is the GP that looks geriatric with its big old butt and nasty overdone wedge shape. This is a Pontiac that will help thier image.

And here is comes, creeping; the derision:

>>"why cant it have the LS2!!!! it wouldve been perfect then."<<

>>"the availability of a manual immediately..."<< Oops: {the manual option will be added after the car is launched.}

>>"That thing is gonna chug fuel like nobody's business, espeically at almost 4000lbs. ...DOD would have been nice"<<

>>"it should have at least 400 hp and 400ftlb"<<

>>"The hood vents give the face of the car an Aztek-like feel."<<

>>"Apart from the odd nose..."<<

So far- my theory seems to be holding water....

this is nonsensical. The engine is fine....these are opinions that ultimately won't hold water. The GTO had valid complaints surrounding it; yes, people were excited a RWD coupe beside the Vette was coming from GM, and that made a lot of people optomistic. GTO had no visible competitors, and no precedent before it, this car has both, and it is a success so far.

you don't know what you're talking about. this athletic design has more sport, more aggression, more tension, more stealth, and mroe good design sense than any Pontiac in decades. Boring is the GP that looks geriatric with its big old butt and nasty overdone wedge shape. This is a Pontiac that will help thier image.

:chillpill: Frankly, Bill knows what he's talking about far better than you do: his opinion. Now I disagree with him on this, but I don't agree with your attitude. Instead of throwing in a bunch of gobbledeegook "design speak," why don't you just say that you find the lines classy and understated, with more tension, stealth, blah blah...obviously he finds the understated lines boring. Diff'rent strokes. I can see where he's coming from, but not to the point where I agree with that (like I did with the truly-boring GTO).

---

I'm still debating this car...from some angles it looks fantastic. From others it looks very generic, and sometimes, even a little awkward. It's better than the car it replaces, and at least the interior is superb. I think overall I give it a B+ in execution, but I wanna see it in person before I give my final verdict.

Edited by Croc