G8 Teaser

looks even hotter. IF it continues to look this good and has an interior like the holdens this will be my next car on a few conditions.

it has to have NAV

it has to have an LSD

LSD? What's that? Not familiar with that TLA..

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting..I've heard of limited slip differentials in the context of '60s muscle cars, not in the context of modern cars...I would expect traction control to be there.

LSD and "traction control" have nothing to do with each other. A limited-slip-differential does provide more torque to the tire with more traction (right?), and it also allows for the inside wheel/tire to rotate slower during turns. If I understand it correctly, LSD is the modern day analog to "Posi-Traction."

Interesting..I've heard of limited slip differentials in the context of '60s muscle cars, not in the context of modern cars...I would expect traction control to be there.

I'm surprised you've never heard of it....especially being an owner of an M3 and all...LSD's are like the modern version of posi...kinda (it offers benefits in both the straight and curvy).

Most cars come with an open diff (like mine. 2.81 open...so stupid...want to change it out for a m5 3.15 lsd).

Your M3 has a LSD...I don't know why BMW didn't put LSD's across the entire model ranges like they used to. Or at least offer it.

I'm surprised you've never heard of it....especially being an owner of an M3 and all...LSD's are like the modern version of posi...kinda (it offers benefits in both the straight and curvy).

Most cars come with an open diff (like mine. 2.81 open...so stupid...want to change it out for a m5 3.15 lsd).

Your M3 has a LSD...I don't know why BMW didn't put LSD's across the entire model ranges like they used to. Or at least offer it.

Interesting..I've heard of limited-slip differentials, but I'd never heard that acronym... then again, I'm not a hardware guy.

Edited by moltar

Lose the hood inlets and its perfect.

Those are a retro touch, probably to placate the oldsters that whined about the '04 GTO not having a hood scoop..though I don't mind 'em. The taillights are from the Holden Commodore SS V-series, it looks like..

I like the grille treatment.

Edited by moltar

Love the hood scoops. It's one of the few heritage design elements that Pontiac can call it's own and that has been relatively continuous for a very long time (even if used questionably in more than a few cases). Not crazy, though, about this JC Whitney clear taillight trend (Aveo, Fusion, etc). No matter, this car will be a sold-out hit a la Solstice.

L98...as in the same L98 from the 84-91 Corvette, and 87-92 Trans AM GTA and Camaro IROC/Z-28? If thats the case, it seems GM is going backwards considering we have had the LT1/LT4, LS1/LS2, LS6/LS7 motors since then. The import fan boys will have a field day at our expense if that is truw. Please tell me I am missing something here?

L98...as in the same L98 from the 84-91 Corvette, and 87-92 Trans AM GTA and Camaro IROC/Z-28? If thats the case, it seems GM is going backwards considering we have had the LT1/LT4, LS1/LS2, LS6/LS7 motors since then. The import fan boys will have a field day at our expense if that is truw. Please tell me I am missing something here?

I doubt if it's something that old..I'd assume the G8 will have the same 6.0 as the '06 GTO?

Wheels, Australia's most respected car magazine, says the VE Commodore (G8) has "steering and ride that are as good, or better, than any current BMW".

Unsurprisingly Holden used this quote in their advertisements.

I don't think anyone will be disapointed with the way the G8 drives. Its amazing.

I'm liking it... It looks like the front end has another dimension to it, as compared to the Holden. It's more of a "beak" and not just a flat/blunt nose.

Yes, looks like there is a bit of pointiness to the fascia...I'd like to see an offset license plate. Centered plates are just so ordinary.

Edited by moltar

The current 4th generation L98, from what I understand, is simply an LS2 tuned to abide by Australian legislation, putting out 362bhp and 391lb-ft.

I would not be surprised to see the G8 house the 400hp/400lb-ft American LS2 instead.

Edited by PrimeGTP

I doubt if it's something that old..I'd assume the G8 will have the same 6.0 as the '06 GTO?

L98 is just a version of the LS2. In Australia all V8 Holdens badged versions get a 6.0 L98 with about 360hp (270kW), while the HSV badged versions get a 410hp (307kW) LS2.

As the GTO had the LS1, then LS2, I would assume Pontiac would get the LS2 again for the G8. But if not and they do get the L98, it isn't the end of the world.

You are mixing eras. The original Grand Am was a (two-door or four-door) LeMans on a performance chassis with a Grand Prix interior. It was introduced in 1973, IIRC. The first STE was the Pontiac 6000 STE which was introduced in the 1980's some twenty years after the era you claim. By the time that I could afford a 6000, the STE was no longer available. However, I did buy and own a 1992 Grand Prix STE as soon as it became available. I owned my GP STE until 1997.

At any rate, you are throwing in things like fuel injection to support your assertion that GM had a fascination with European cars. Well, fuel injection is just a fuel delivery system. Theoretically, it has always had the potential to deliver fuel more efficiently and extract more power from an engine than a carburetor. However, fuel injection systems had reliability issues until the advent of digital systems. American manufacturers have used fuel injection for decades prior to the 1960's.

I suppose that you will next claim that the handbrake is "European."

Not mixing eras here just the Fact Pontiac claimed the rubber nosed 73-74 GA was a Euro fighter. They also made one factory wagon too since you failed to mention this too. Pontiac made several attempts at this in the 60's-70's 80's and 90's. The first, second and third gen GA's were all claimed to be Euro inspired and it is safe to say they were not very Euro in many ways. As a owner one of the few of the GP STE you can also attest it was not as Euro as Pontiac claimed.

On Fuel Injection if you knew your history well you would know the 300 Mercedes in 1955 was the first mass produced fuel injection car. It was something Delorean saw and like as an engineer. He also got to work with it on the 57, 58 and rare 59 Pontiac's. He wanterd to bring this to Pontiac but GM stopped him as well as the other sport sedan items that were offered overseas but failed to show up till much later in American cars. As for pointing out fuel injections problems that is one of the most widely know things to most auto enthusiast over the years. I have played with enough 60's Rochester units to know that alone.

As for GM getting inspired by Europe it goes way back to Harley Earl. Bet with your lack of history you did not know the grill from the 55 Chevy was inspired by a Ferarri at the Paris show that Mr Earl saw. He stole many an idea form his many trips over there as did many of the engineers like Delorean.

The Fact is Delorean started and tried to take Pontiac in a more Continental direction and never go the support. Over the years Pontiac tried to do it with other models and never had the platform to pull it off. Now they have a real chance with the world platforms they will be able to use and it should help their image and sales.

As for you hand brake question, show me a legitimate real Euro performance sedan that does not have one today out side the mistake they made in the Caddy CTSv. There are still complaints on that omission.

You had better read the books I recomended. Not only are they a great read but they are filled with what, how and why many things were done at Pontiac. I think you would understand where I am coming from once you learn the facts from those who live the era.

How's this for a tease?

Photo Gallery @ Autoblog

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Love the looks of the car, I am just not big on the scoops they just look out of place and if they are fake it is all the better to remove them.

I can't wait to see it in person in Cleveland and give it good look in person before I make a final judgement.

But so far I like it and hope the wheels and brakes stay with the production car.

Edited by hyperv6

Not liking those teaser pics at all. Without a doubt, there will be major division on this car once the official pics/in-the-steel viewings are in, IMO. Not far enough- how many even here have campaigned for a 'new Pontiac look'-- this definately isn't it; very 'G6 grilles on a GP'. I understand the 'stopgap' issue, and I hope for Pontiac's sake I am in a strict minority, but I have a strong gut feeling here....

I'm waiting until I see it in person until I make a real judgement on it... can't really tell by pictures... I've seen tons of photos of the Commodore on line and I like what I see from the pics, but I need to see it in person.

The current 4th generation L98, from what I understand, is simply an LS2 tuned to abide by Australian legislation, putting out 362bhp and 391lb-ft.

I would not be surprised to see the G8 house the 400hp/400lb-ft American LS2 instead.

Thanks for the update, I was hoping it was an updated LS2 and not the"old" L98.

Not liking those teaser pics at all. Without a doubt, there will be major division on this car once the official pics/in-the-steel viewings are in, IMO. Not far enough- how many even here have campaigned for a 'new Pontiac look'-- this definately isn't it; very 'G6 grilles on a GP'. I understand the 'stopgap' issue, and I hope for Pontiac's sake I am in a strict minority, but I have a strong gut feeling here....

Of course you won't like it..it doesn't have Wide Track, tailfins, yards of chrome, BOF, vinyl seats, a hardtop or carburators... we know you won't like it... :)

The front end is the best thing about it, imo, so far. The fenders should have had the same scallop with arrowhead as the Solstice. As it is, you can purchase vents like that at Pep Boys to tack onto anything. The midsection and rear end... very tepid. The taillights are generic. Pretty much what I feared... and expected, really. I am moving toward it a tenth of an inch at a time. Next tenth: seeing official pics, then real-life pics at the Show... and finally in person.

I think it looks fine. They can't alter the biggest Holden design signature (the roofline and big greenhouse) without a much bigger investment than "stopgap" volumes will warrant, but my American eyes like it better here than on GTO and the rest is fine. It's not a knockout design statement but it's cool enough.

That said, the fact that it's not a total visual knockout means it will succeed or fail on the features/price equation. $40k for an LS2 ain't gonna cut it.