G8 Teaser

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That short overhang is awesome and those wheels and tires are damn sexy. Throw on some cross drilled rotors and painted calipers and you will have a ride that M3, AMGs, STIs and Evos drooling at your 4 door sedan with IRS and a V8 to back it up. I am so there if this comes out and I may pass on the Vette.

Love the wheels... the best aspect of the overall design of the Commodore/G8 styling IMHO are the taut proportions... short front overhang, plenty of front wheel to front door distance...the look says RWD...a complete break from the awkward Grand Prix and it's long FWD overhang and way-too-short wheel to door distance...

I think the G8 will be a great Charger competitor...much better looking than the Charger, IMHO...and hopefully with an available 6-speed manual. For all the whiners, f*ck 'em...they can buy Grand Prixs and spin their front tires.

Actually, the racing version of this car at the Rolex 24 looks pretty good in racing colors, even thought it is on a Scott and Riley chasis.

don't get to excited, it's only going to be a MCE.

people seem to think it's going to be a brand NEW G8 for 2010? it's going to be the same platform etc, built in a new location with a refreshed exterior.

Same platform, yes. And probably similar powertrain options and dimensions. But I would bet heavily that it will be a substantially different car, with a very different roofline, interior, etc. Like the GTO, I expect the first G8 to retain the Holden "look" around the greenhouse, which to my American eyes looks kind of goofy (apologies in advance to any Holden fans hereabouts). I expect the Oshawa-build G8 to be a more dramatic design statement.

the color is awesome, don't think I've seen anything like it on a GM since the GXP concepts from the early 2000s. I would love to see it on CTS and other GMs---in general I'd like to see richer colors on GM models.

That is what I noticed as well "the notch" and so to me that is a significant change to the arrow head we are familiar with. It keeps one foot in the past and one planted in the future. The worst thing GM can do is completely rework the logo to the point that people would not recognize it as they did with Old. Only true GM fans knew that they were Olds when the new logo came out. But to be fair, I personally like the new Olds logo when it first came out on the Aurora (or was it the Intrgue?) thoght it had an Infinity/Lexus/Mazda feel to it.

Guest YellowJacket894

GMI's RIA sucks donkey balls. Can't chop out of a paper bag. The Underground has them beat in every way, especially presentation.

From the teaser released I do not see what is exactly obvious that the car in question is a rebaged Commodore.

The HSV wheels are kind of a clue.

As are the headlights and the hood bulge.

Anyway, it looks like the reworked the fascia. It's similar but subtly differently from the Commodore's it looks like...which is nice. They gave it a new fascia as opposed to just tacking a grill on the existing one (a la G5)

Same platform, yes. And probably similar powertrain options and dimensions. But I would bet heavily that it will be a substantially different car, with a very different roofline, interior, etc. Like the GTO, I expect the first G8 to retain the Holden "look" around the greenhouse, which to my American eyes looks kind of goofy (apologies in advance to any Holden fans hereabouts). I expect the Oshawa-build G8 to be a more dramatic design statement.

IF Pontiac gets an Oshawa built, Zeta II, G8 - then, I agree.

Edited by Chazman

Even Toyota the company that could do no wrong is taking hits on the new Camry. Is this the start of a new trend?

With Toyota being the percieved leader of the auto industry (even without having overtaken GM), then it's only natural that the heat is turned on them: news about a leader's (or percieved leader's) failures are far 'juicier'. It's a variant of the 'sex sells' thing.

If the G8 turns out as sexy as I thin kit will and it, has v8 power and a good price I may just get this over the new CTS, from a price point and performance perspective (at least till the V comes out) I'm sure the Pontiac will be the better car.

A few questions though.

1. How much is this likley to cost? Maxing in the low 30's?

2. What drivetrains are likley. Maybe the new 6.2 LS3 base engine from the updates vette? That would be sweet.

3. What's the time frame? ITs supposed to be out the same time as the new CTS right?

If the G8 turns out as sexy as I thin kit will and it, has v8 power and a good price I may just get this over the new CTS, from a price point and performance perspective (at least till the V comes out) I'm sure the Pontiac will be the better car.

A few questions though.

No clue but I would say you are close.

2. What drivetrains are likley. Maybe the new 6.2 LS3 base engine from the updates vette? That would be sweet.

No it will have whatever engine the Comodore SS has, so L98 60 GenIV V8. And if there is a V6 it will get the 3.6 DOHC.

3. What's the time frame? ITs supposed to be out the same time as the new CTS right?

Sometime this Fall has been thrown around quite a bit.

I'm a little skeptical that iw will use the AU drive trains. The GTO got the LS2 when the old manaro just had the last generation 6.0 if Im not mistaken.

Two reasons why georgejetson may be onto something:

1) IIRC, the GTO at first got the GMNA-spec LS1 instead of the 300hp Holden version?

2) It looks like the G8 is already getting some HSV parts (hood, wheels).

Whatever the V8, I don't think I'll mind. The car still rocks.

Thing is though, can the L98, which isn't sold in NA, pass the emissions? And is it worth it spending money to certify an engine that will only be sold for one gen?

Whatever....LS2, L98, yada yada... GM will figure it out and the car will have a V8.

Whatever the V8, I don't think I'll mind. The car still rocks.

QFT

The Commodore-to-G8 nose job seems tastefully done, so I'm wondering what happened at the rear: a slightly different bumper just to meet US regulations, or tail lights and trunk cover changes as well?

A few questions though.

1. A Commodore SS sells for nearly $US37K in Australia. A price starting around $US35K is likely, similar to the 300C.

2. Too keep costs down they'll stick with the L98, with 6-speed manual or automatic transmissions. A more powerful V8 may come later to match up against the SRT8 at a similar premium.

At 37K they will sit on dealers lots. Better get it close to 35K loaded and under 30K for a stripper.

Right you are...they had better price the entry level car at $ 29.5 K or so...no more than that. Lucerne comes in at mid-20s and that's a Buick.

I don't know if I like it. The shortness and bluntness of the front end doesn't grab me. It does look too much like a previous-gen BMW. Also, considering it's replacing the Bonneville, it looks small. It should be at least the size of an Audi A8.

Well lets uncover the rest before we get too critical.

Uncle Bob is not perfect but he is no fool. This car will work well in the end when all is said and done.

The important thing is to let Pontiac roll out is plan of what they plan to do and get the whole picture as this is only one car in the big puzzle.

Just don't try to compare the new Pontiac to the past as it's time to update Pontiac to compete with the other companies not just Chevy.

Like some have said, it looks like a previous gen 3er. Which I liked. But the problem is, that was 1999. This is 2007.

Nail on the head. There's nothing new anymore... :(

I happen to like F and R overhangs, too, dammit.

at $35k, the Commodore SS with a 350hp V8 would be an absolute bargain, being that it competes well with the 5-series. Will it sell well at that price? That's another story. That would be up to marketing, and it would take a hell of a lot of work to convince the american buying public they should consider a 35k Pontiac sedan. There's no precedent there. Pontiac is the maker of rental cars, and have one genuine hit in the past five years: Solstice. Five years is a long time to go without cars that are perceived as relevant.

... Lucerne comes in at mid-20s and that's a Buick.

The bottom-of-the-line Lucerne CX comes in at $26,410 base MSRP. The fact that it is a Buick should not have that much of an impact on the price. Admittedly, you cannot estimate the price of the G8 based on the glimpse shown in that ABC News video. However, I will do it anyway. It seems that some fans here expect GM to sell the car at a loss. I don't. Based on the quality of paint and the design of the wheels, this car has to be more expensive than my 2004 Grand Prix Comp-G. This will put it well above $30 K. I see few prospective buyers for this car downmarket of the current Grand Prix GXP, which comes in at $29,430 base MSRP. The sweet spot probably comes in at $35 K or so. GM can hold down costs by offering a few relatively well-equipped content levels. This might knock a few hundred off the price. But, the G8 priced under $30 K is not likely.

isn't everyone a little too focused on the style of this car being that it doesn't represent anything more than a stopgap? Clearly, Pontiac isn't going anywhere with the current look, and a new look is being developed, be it Sosltice-derived [Please God, no] or something else. So, why are we all bashing Pontiac for a stopgap car that they are lucky to be getting.

I say take what you can get. If they manage to make a good looking car, this will go on my list along with the next CTS as my favorite cheap sedans, and that's a big accomplishment. If the car is a decent success maybe we can get a Zeta II G8 with a real name [Gran Prix!] and a real look [full length grille!].

the G8 priced under $30k sounds like it would be ludicrous, and a loss-leading venture. As much as it would be great to see it happen, I doubt there will even be a V6 version. Right about 32k, though, this car would be an overwhelming bargain.

>>"Pontiac is the maker of rental cars, and have one genuine hit in the past five years: Solstice. Five years is a long time to go without cars that are perceived as relevant."<<

Anyone who gives a f**k about Pontiac had better hope that the bulk of consumers don't make their decisions based on past perceptions alone, or the Division is dead.

>>"Pontiac is the maker of rental cars, and have one genuine hit in the past five years: Solstice. Five years is a long time to go without cars that are perceived as relevant."<<

Anyone who gives a f**k about Pontiac had better hope that the bulk of consumers don't make their decisions based on past perceptions alone, or the Division is dead.

Therein lies the rub, eh?

Unfortunately, Lutz wasn't too far off when he described Pontiac as 'damaged.' I believe that the Solstice has given the brand hope for the future.

every new product must carry some of those genes, or Pontiac is DOA after Wagonner gets his walking papers. The B-P-GMC channel system could reduce Pontiac to a niche brand very shortly.

at $35k, the Commodore SS with a 350hp V8 would be an absolute bargain, being that it competes well with the 5-series. Will it sell well at that price? That's another story. That would be up to marketing, and it would take a hell of a lot of work to convince the american buying public they should consider a 35k Pontiac sedan. There's no precedent there. Pontiac is the maker of rental cars, and have one genuine hit in the past five years: Solstice. Five years is a long time to go without cars that are perceived as relevant.

how do you know it competes well with the 5-Series?

do you actually believe that many 5series shoppers are going into a Pontiac dealer to shop?

isn't everyone a little too focused on the style of this car being that it doesn't represent anything more than a stopgap? Clearly, Pontiac isn't going anywhere with the current look, and a new look is being developed, be it Sosltice-derived [Please God, no] or something else. So, why are we all bashing Pontiac for a stopgap car that they are lucky to be getting.

I say take what you can get. If they manage to make a good looking car, this will go on my list along with the next CTS as my favorite cheap sedans, and that's a big accomplishment. If the car is a decent success maybe we can get a Zeta II G8 with a real name [Gran Prix!] and a real look [full length grille!].

you have the CTS on your list of 'favorite cheap sedans'??????

Thing is though, can the L98, which isn't sold in NA, pass the emissions? And is it worth it spending money to certify an engine that will only be sold for one gen?

The L98 passes Bin IV emissions, Europe, so it will easily pass the emissions in the US.