RIP: Monte Carlo

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/28/rip-che...off-monte-carlo

GM on future Monte Carlo's: "No comment." Rest in peace Monte Carlo, maybe you'll return soon!

Production ends in Canada June 20th; May 4th last day of ordering; no 2008 model.

I find the Monte Carlo SS strangely intriguing. As GuionM noted elsewhere, it's faster than the Malibu SS 454 of the 1970's, the Buick Grand National of the 1980's, and the Camaro Z28 LT1 of the 1990's.

I find the Monte Carlo SS strangely intriguing. As GuionM noted elsewhere, it's faster than the Malibu SS 454 of the 1970's, the Buick Grand National of the 1980's, and the Camaro Z28 LT1 of the 1990's.

Ahh yes but did they look a beached whale with a chevy symbol glued on it? If this car wasn't the poster child for NASCAR there would have been no hope for the MC in the first place

I have a feeling we're going to see a new Monte Carlo/Chevelle/GTO. I don't know which one were getting, and I'm betting on only one, but I am definitely expecting one of the three.

(Note I have seen no info to back that up, just a hunch)

I have a feeling we're going to see a new Monte Carlo/Chevelle/GTO. I don't know which one were getting, and I'm betting on only one, but I am definitely expecting one of the three.

(Note I have seen no info to back that up, just a hunch)

I'm betting on two out of three.

I am kind of sad to see it go. I liked my 2000 in the time I had it. It worked well in all the things I wanted it to do except of course for the typical 2-door downfalls. It wont be around to be a choice in 2009 when my lease comes up and that kind of sucks. People can blast it all they want but it was comfortable quiet and easy to deal with.

Like them or not, the last Montes were solid, reliable, well-built cars that did their job well. The Monte Carlo name was its biggest downfall, as it tried too hard to look like past Montes, but had to succumb to FWD W-body proportions.

If two RWD Chevy coupes are too much, I like the idea of spawning a "large" coupe based off the new Malibu. It would fill the void created by the MC, and allow Chevy to add them to Malibu sales the same way that Honda, Toyota, and now Nissan do with their respective coupes.

I will miss it. The last 2 door personal luxury coupe may not have been quite up to it's usual standard with all the Chevy decontenting but it was the last vestige of a much simpler time when gas was reasonably priced, products were actually made in America, Oldsmobile was still in existance, the Cutlass Supreme was the best selling car, Buick had a full lineup of popular selling vehicles, Walmarts were few and far between, quaint old downtown/mom and pop stores still existed and you actually cared about and knew who your neighbors were and tried to keep money in your community. These are sad times we live in!

Edited by ponchoman49

Chevrolet NEEDS a big, luxurious coupe to be sold next to the Corvette & Camaro.

Call it Chevelle, or Impala or Monte Carlo, in any case it has to look the part. &

just like the Camaro it should be a HARDTOP!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

I am kind of sad to see it go. I liked my 2000 in the time I had it. It worked well in all the things I wanted it to do except of course for the typical 2-door downfalls. It wont be around to be a choice in 2009 when my lease comes up and that kind of sucks. People can blast it all they want but it was comfortable quiet and easy to deal with.

I am with you on this. Except for getting people in and out of the back seat, which is typical of all coupes, this car was easy to live with, comfortable and had become quite reliable (according to CR and other sources).

I think that there are some styling quirks that a nip and tuck should and could have fixed. So, now it's gone. Too bad, because I think that GM could have accommodated 2 personal luxury coupes in their line-up: one at the Riviera price-point and the other at the Monte Carlo price-point. What happened? In the late 80s, the GM line-up had numerous mid-size and up coupes in their line-up. Now, there are NONE and most of them were reasonably attractive in terms of styling.

I am with you on this. Except for getting people in and out of the back seat, which is typical of all coupes, this car was easy to live with, comfortable and had become quite reliable (according to CR and other sources).

I think that there are some styling quirks that a nip and tuck should and could have fixed. So, now it's gone. Too bad, because I think that GM could have accommodated 2 personal luxury coupes in their line-up: one at the Riviera price-point and the other at the Monte Carlo price-point. What happened? In the late 80s, the GM line-up had numerous mid-size and up coupes in their line-up. Now, there are NONE and most of them were reasonably attractive in terms of styling.

The market shrank. Hence why the Charger was brought back as only a sedan. they couldn't make a case for it.

It should come back on the Zeta chassis. I dont know if any one noticed but the super bowl ad with all the cars on it . Well all of them are back coming back or there is some rumor about them coming back. Toward the end of the ad you see a glimpse of an 86-87 grey monte LS go by. If you arent a car guy you would never have seen it maybe it means something. RIP to my favorite nameplate (maybe not forever) .

Edited by mrmonte

I will miss it, front wheel drive and all. The last of the MC/GP/Cutlass/Regal coupes to exist. I considered buying a '99 brand new, but decided I would rather have an Olds so I bought my Cutlass Supreme instead. With Olds gone, I would have bought a new MC to replace the Cutlass, but having a bench seat was more important to me. Since the '00+ models did not offer one, I settled for the Impala.