Why do you buy a car?

On a scale of "cool" to practical, how do you choose your car?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of "cool" to practical, how do you choose your car?

• 5 Entirely Cool. Give me an awesome design that I have to shoehorn myself into.
    • 4 Cool, but somewhat what I need. If you need 4 doors, buy the coolest sedan possible.
    • 3 Somewhere between. Buy the sportiest thing the kids will fit into!
    • 2 Practical. Buy the most appealing car in the segment you are looking for.
    • 1 Entirely practical. Buy the car that is the best on gas, insurance and the pocketbook in the segment you are looking for.

I realize this is an oversimplification of the car buying process, but it is an important factor. Just wondering what you guys think. Myself, I am Practical. The Cobalt was one of the best choices of the economy compacts, and the "cool" back end and yellow colour were extras... I like them, but they didn't make my decision.

The last car I owned was a 1991 Caprice wagon that I factory ordered. My friends at the time thought I was nuts. I was 29 when I ordered it and still single. However, I put a 200W Cd in it, complete with bazookas in the footwell of the third row. I had the windows blacked out. I put American Racing wheels on it. It actually looked "tubbed" when I was done with it. The first runner up was the 1991 Thunderbird SC. Strange, eh? I had also looked at the (then)new Previa but it was over priced (what else is new?) and way under powered. Practicality has always been important to me. The Caprice had ABS, a single air bag and a torquey V-8. I knew I was buying a boat and would have to be able to tow and I had a canoe. The T-bird would have been a boy magnet, though. Kinda glad I never got it, though: I put 240k on the Caprice in 6 years and only put a condenser, a set of front shocks and a starter on it. Not bad. Oh, and I towed my boat to Florida in 1995. Beautiful!

3, which is why I chose the Cobalt. It turns heads, but its also no more car than I need at this stage of my life. For a second car, it'd be #5, as long as I can see out of it.

#4 Hence my purchase of a CTS. I'm not sure what I'm going to do next time around. I may trade the CTS for two cars. A new Saturn Sky for fun and a 1996 Fleetwood for around town daily driving. Or just might get another '08 CTS.

I like practical cars, but not to the point that they're boring. I need a little excitement in my automobile. For example, I'd be more inclined to buy a Mazda6 or Altima than a Camry. I frankly don't care if people think my car is "cool" or not. I've got better things to worry about.

Oldsmoboi:  What year/what engine is your CTS??  I just took a couple 2005's that i've been driving around for the past couple weeks.  They are both 2.8L, V6 which is okay be me with this gas madness on.

[post="21483"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have a 2004 with 3.6vvt.

I realize this is an oversimplification of the car buying process...

Definitely.

Whether I like it or not is what matters to me. I could care less whether it's practical or cool. The Fiero? Love it. The G6 sedan? Love it. One's practical and one isn't, but they're both cool in my eyes. I didn't vote. Edited by blackviper8891

I'm definitely balanced between 4 and 5. (leaning more towards 5) I'm driving a 2006 G6 GT sedan totally cause i think it looks cool. I've been putting some miles on a couple Cadillac CTS's that i took in on trade, just cause i think they're fabulous looking. I have two kids and a great dane. Have i ever owned a mini van? not on your freaking life!! My next demo is a Pontiac Torrent. Why? I totally think they're cute........

Even among geeks and nerds it's been proven the car buying decision is tied to our emotional response. I'd argue this is not true anymore for a good percentage o the population since a huge chunk of Americans go out and buy a Camry or Accord based entirely on a preceived reliability/quality index set forth by such trash as Consumer Reports. I voted Number 5. My Datsun was the first car I ever bought where I set out for good fuel economy. But just a few years ago I sold my reliable and comfortable 1993 Olds Achieva Quad4 (8 valve) for $2500 and the same day plopped down $5000 for a 174,000 mile 1968 Camaro with no radio (harness or speakers), no heater, no fan, no AC, no door locks, brakes that would not even be adequate on a ride-on lawnmower and to top it all off a vintage 70s T-top sunroof that leaked like Niagra Falls. The wiring harness was mostly junk and the radiator was totaol junk. None of that mattered. It had close to 400 horsepower in a wicked reliable engine and accelerated like a bat out of hell. Did I mention it was my daily driver for almost two months? Yes it was the only car I owned in Aug. and Sept. of 2002. Then I bought a winter beater: a 1987 Caddy Fleetwood Brougham. After the tired old Olds motor $hit the bed I went out and bought a more "practical" winter beater... a 1983 Pontiac Firebird. It had a crate 350 so I had to have it, For $500 how could I say no? The T-tops came off several times that winter cause I loved driving with them off even if I did have to blast the heat and bundle up in a thick jacket. And the kicker? A few months after I sold the Firebird, knowing my G/F was pregnant with our daughter I bought a 1991 Blazer... even though it was a 4x4 and had the 4.3 in it the truck was a 5-speed and two door. Never would have bought it if it had been an automatic. More recently I wanted to buy a 1966 Corvair so that I could have a 4-door classic. That way I would be justified in taking the girlfriend and out baby along to the local carshows since the Camaro is too "Mad Max drag racer" for a girl let alone a baby. There's a small chance I'll still buy that Corvair. So yes, I voted #5. I buy based on what I find mechanically fascinating, performance orianted, pleasing ot the eye, or in the case of the Camaro all three.

Thanks buddy. To a guy like me wiht Gasoline in his veins that's a real compliment. I forgot to mention the time I almost bought a 1963 Impala for a daily driver... it was a 2-door hardtop and had a tired old 283. The car needed some major electrical work but I was ready to sell my '87 Cougar XR7 (85K miles) so I could afford it. I loved that car. Would have bought it for my daily driver too if someone had not beaten me to it. That car also had manual drum brakes all around. Except it weighed about another 1500 lbs. more than the Camaro. Scary. The X-frame was what really would have given me headaches since it had some substantial rust on it.

Your choice list, as I read it does not include buying for performance as opposed to looks! I look for the most "bang for the buck", that will also meet my transportation needs. If you want to talk "playtoys" , that's an entirely different subject! BUT.............. you haven't lived 'til you have driven a good 9C1!

Always #4. Only cars that really apply to #5 from my view is Exotics. If theres a trunk 4-5 seating capacity and dont cost over $50,000 new they are at least somewhat practical. Driving Buicks and Oldsmobiles for over 10 years proves the practical with reliability and what was great economy during those times. the 86 2dr LeSabre was definantly inspired by sex appeal. Then a 89 NYer so my daughter had her own door to get in and out of. Then came the LSS, I had decided 4 dr would be it as long as we were family of three. I had become confortable with the size and ride of this type of car. Test drives showed me the "latest" H bodys were great ride, drive and creature comforts so I was set on a Eighty Eight LS of some sort. I also found sex appeal in the 4drs body shape. Then I's spots dis here car wist a sunroof, den I's see's its gots leather,buckets and console, den I's sees some funny wheels, den I gets around ta de paper on de windo with de list that says sports suspension and SUPERCHARGED 3800.............. SOLD ! the end

Razor: "If theres a trunk 4-5 seating capacity and dont cost over $50,000 new they are at least somewhat practical." I can see your point.

I'm a 2. We owned two cars, and when my Monte Carlo was smashed we didn't even need another car. We traded in the wife's car for a brand new four-door hatchback because it offered the most practical use for our needs for now, and the near future, all while having the creature comforts one would have to pay extra for in another make. It's mostly about what we just need, because the majority of cars on the road are all merely appliances anyway. Heck, the majority of the time I bike the 2.9 kms to work, and will walk in the winter. Why pay for a vehicle and its insurance when I'll hardly ever drive it anyway? I have better thiings for my money to be spent.

I admit I love getting ahold of "the latest thing". I've had quite a few first-year vehicles.

Right now I'm in love with the HHR, G6 GTP coupe, Solstice, Civic EX coupe, Impala, and Cobalt SS and SS/SC, among others... Mustang, LXs, etc.

I've been accused recently of being "obsessed" with cars by a family member. It's like they didn't know I've been this way since I was born.
:rolleyes: http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif Edited by ocnblu