Buick Skylark to replace Excelle in China in '09

Flybrian

Future Watch: Buick Skylark for China in 2009
Link to Original Article @ Inside Line
Posted Image
Artist rendering by C.H.U.D.

SHANGHAI, China — General Motors will launch a new Buick Skylark compact in China in 2009 that could be exported to the U.S. as a 2010 model.

The Skylark will replace the Daewoo-based Excelle in China and will be assembled by the Shanghai GM joint venture, Inside Line has learned.

GM also is considering whether to add another Chinese Buick, the new Australia-sourced Park Avenue sedan, to its U.S. lineup in 2009, supplier sources told IL.

The new Skylark is based on GM's Delta 2 global small-car architecture. It will share its underpinnings with the next-generation Chevrolet Cobalt, Opel Astra and Pontiac G6. A new Saab, the 9-1, will be based on the same platform, as will the next-generation Saturn Astra.

The current Buick Excelle that's built in China is a version of the Daewoo Lacetti that's also sold in North America as the Suzuki Forenza and in other overseas markets as the Chevrolet Optra. The next-generation Lacetti also is expected to shift to the Delta 2 platform in Korea.

The new Park Avenue is based on the Holden Statesman and goes on sale shortly in China. IL has learned that Buick's U.S. dealers have asked for the car in late 2008 as an '09 model. GM has tentative plans to assemble a redesigned Park Avenue, based on its Zeta rear-drive architecture, in North America in late 2010, alongside a new rear-drive Chevrolet Impala.

What this means to you: The Skylark could be the first GM import from China.

I would say, yes and yes. :thumbsup:

As gas prices rise, there will be room for another compact in GM's line-up...

Though if they are going to do that-they need to make sure it is done right, or don't even waste the time.

It needs to be full of toys, and priced around the same as the Astra. Price will be huge.

As far as the Park Ave, that is a no-brainer.... :idhitit:

SHANGHAI, China — General Motors will launch a new Buick Skylark compact in China in 2009 that could be exported to the U.S. as a 2010 model.

The Skylark will replace the Daewoo-based Excelle in China and will be assembled by the Shanghai GM joint venture, Inside Line has learned.

GM also is considering whether to add another Chinese Buick, the new Australia-sourced Park Avenue sedan, to its U.S. lineup in 2009, supplier sources told IL.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

I would say, yes and yes. :thumbsup:

It needs to be full of toys, and priced around the same as the Astra. Price will be huge.

As far as the Park Ave, that is a no-brainer.... :idhitit:

Love the name! :thumbsup: I hope the Skylark makes it to the US. However, I feel it should be priced higher than the Astra (and it should be worth the extra cost too.) Yes, the Acura TSX would be a great start for developing a premium compact Buick.

The Saab 9-1 development bothers me though... I'm afraid GM will cheapen the Skylark to give the 9-1 some type of exclusivity (Think G6 vs 9-3) or tune the Skylark's suspension way too soft. Both of them need to be 'youthful' premium/luxury compacts but have different flavors. 9-1 should keep with its Scandinavian roots in style, ride, & feel while staying casual luxury... The Skylark should lean towards driver/passenger comfort, confident road manners, while taking on a slightly formal guise but without the appearance of trying too hard. We don't want an overwrought Baby Buick dressed up in mom's clothes. For looks, think more 2008 Mercedes C-Class and less 2002 Jaguar X-type.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-merced...ss/138843/full/

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-merced...ss/138838/full/

You know.. we one day will thank Buick China for showing GM North America the way with Buick. Buick China understands what was Buick was and what a Buick should be. GM North America had no clue. Also notice they are impacting Cadillac too. The SLS over there is why they DTS and STS here are going to become one car. They( GM) is really trying hard to change. This is why they are making common parts, models, platforms globally. This will lead to more products, and less money being spent regionally. It is now global money. The models will differ regionally.

Now.. if some foreign country GM sells in that appreciates Oldsmobile would come into play.. LOL!

I am thankful for another thing.. Buick China sees the value in the names. Too bad GM North America did not. I think they maybe now.

I only Skylarks I have fond memories of are the ones from the 1960's and the ones from the 1980's. That one from the 1980's was so close to Riviera.

Thats what I read. Maybe I am blind.

You're right, you are blind.

:P

The Skylark name is more memorable than the Excelle name (which sounds like a Hyundai, to be perfectly honest). Hopefully, it's not memorable for the wrong reasons.

Whatever the name is, I just hope the car is best-in-class (even if it's only-in-class).

Waait a minute... I just caught this:

That better not mean it's gonna be made in China.

it's way too early for anyone to make serious declarations on where the car will be built, besides those in the know, but I think like Epsilon and Zeta are being designed to be built in modular factories with platforms that share commonality all around the world, the same will be true with Delta. GM is just getting the most mileage it can out of unique designs and its platforms. The only thing I would say is a concern right now is the execution---this better be on the same page as the Buick Riviera Shanghai in dramatic design inside and out befitting of a luxury car, and with the right quality.

The only thing I would say is a concern right now is the execution---this better be on the same page as the Buick Riviera Shanghai in dramatic design inside and out befitting of a luxury car, and with the right quality.

I'm confident GM will be able to differentiate the Delta II and Epsilon II models.

No, the Skylarks from 1980 onward were all compact cars, not mid-size, and that includes the ugly, previous models. I prefer the name Skyhawk for this car, I was hoping Skylark would return to its 1975-79 (compact for the day) roots as a rear-drive compact, but more luxurious and heavily differentiated from its Chevy cousin.

Damnit. I really don't like the idea of a compace Buick positioned under the current/next gen LaX coming here. An ES350 fighting LaX should be the entry point for Buick in this market. I think the premium compacts should be left to the 9-1 and Astra; the sporty compact to the G5; and the volume compact for the Cobalt. IF a Buick DID come here in compact form, I'd perfer they go all out and do everything possible to trump the TSX. Think ahead, and try trumping the next gen TSX. Though a smaller car, it's should be very luxurious. The 9-1 should be right below the Skylark on the GM's totem pole of NA compacts (IF THEY DO INDEED BRING ONE, WHICH I THINK IS A MISTAKE), period. Also, I love that they're reviving the name, no matter what market it's sold in.

When they start bringing into the US Chinese GM's I will no longer purchase from the General.

I can understand that, not because I'm someone who just hates anything non-American, quite the opposite actually... but America has sold its soul to China already and most things you probably buy anyway already comes from China. And I would have no problem with this if China was an environmentally conscience, pro-human-rights country. However it goes to show that both Americans and Chinese have devalued life enough so that we feed off of this system hurting both Americans but especially the poor Chinese.

General Motors, however, has always impressed me with the standards they set wherever they build and whatever they build. I don't find GM one of the big manipulating corporations in spite of their massive wealth and power.

Edited by Cananopie

When they start bringing into the US Chinese GM's I will no longer purchase from the General.

It's okay for GM to import vehicles from Australia, Korea, Germany, Sweden, etc... but it's not okay for GM to import a vehicle from China? :huh:

Get your checklist out, because GM won't be the only one in a few years. I personally welcome this.

• 4 weeks later...

Damnit. I really don't like the idea of a compace Buick positioned under the current/next gen LaX coming here. An ES350 fighting LaX should be the entry point for Buick in this market. I think the premium compacts should be left to the 9-1 and Astra; the sporty compact to the G5; and the volume compact for the Cobalt. IF a Buick DID come here in compact form, I'd perfer they go all out and do everything possible to trump the TSX. Think ahead, and try trumping the next gen TSX. Though a smaller car, it's should be very luxurious. The 9-1 should be right below the Skylark on the GM's totem pole of NA compacts (IF THEY DO INDEED BRING ONE, WHICH I THINK IS A MISTAKE), period. Also, I love that they're reviving the name, no matter what market it's sold in.

I totally agree. With GM combining Pontiac, GMC, and Buick into one dealer network, I believe a Delta II based model would only dilute the Buick brand over here. Buick needs to retain its position as a near luxury division with a midsize crossover (Rainier or Invicta), a large crossover (Enclave), a convertible (Rendezvous or Skylark), a four door coupe halo car (Riviera), a midsize front drive sedan (LeSabre or Regal), and a large rear drive sedan (Park Avenue or Electra). In GM's brand lineup, the Cobalt (how I wished Chevrolet would change that name!) would serve as the bargain compact, the Astra would serve as an upscale foreign competitor compact (although they really should add a sporty four door sedan to the lineup), and the 9-1 would serve as a luxury compact. I believe the Pontiac-GMC-Buick dealer combo should not have a Delta II based model in their lineup unless a sporty crossover could be developed on the platform for GMC. I would hate to see the Skylark model name applied to a platform so undeserving of this historic name.

I do like the idea of a Zeta based Park Avenue large rear drive sedan for Buick. The sheet metal needs to be restyled for the American market as it lacks the correct flair for the brand in the United States (especially the Impala inspired tail lamps). I am glad that China has revived the brand. I believe their vision of Buick might not totally align with our vision of the brand. GM needs to consider each product's worth to the brand before they bring the product to the United States.

Edited by cire

I totally agree. With GM combining Pontiac, GMC, and Buick into one dealer network, I believe a Delta II based model would only dilute the Buick brand over here. Buick needs to retain its position as a near luxury division with a midsize crossover (Rainier or Invicta), a large crossover (Enclave), a convertible (Rendezvous or Skylark), a four door coupe halo car (Riviera), a midsize front drive sedan (LeSabre or Regal), and a large rear drive sedan (Park Avenue or Electra). In GM's brand lineup, the Cobalt (how I wished Chevrolet would change that name!) would serve as the bargain compact, the Astra would serve as an upscale foreign competitor compact (although they really should add a sporty four door sedan to the lineup), and the 9-1 would serve as a luxury compact. I believe the Pontiac-GMC-Buick dealer combo should not have a Delta II based model in their lineup unless a sporty crossover could be developed on the platform for GMC. I would hate to see the Skylark model name applied to a platform so undeserving of this historic name.

I do like the idea of a Zeta based Park Avenue large rear drive sedan for Buick. The sheet metal needs to be restyled for the American market as it lacks the correct flair for the brand in the United States (especially the Impala inspired tail lamps). I am glad that China has revived the brand. I believe their vision of Buick might not totally align with our vision of the brand. GM needs to consider each product's worth to the brand before they bring the product to the United States.

Hmm...our American "flair"

Posted Image

Posted Image

VS

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yeah...no. Don't let it be "Americanized" Just get rid of the chrome strip out back and call it a day.

Edited by Dodgefan

Hmm...our American "flair"

VS

Yeah...no. Don't let it be "Americanized" Just get rid of the chrome strip out back and call it a day.

You're comparing a $50+k car to a $20+k car. I would hope the $50k one would be much nicer looking. I'm not saying the LaCrosse is a great car, but that's not a very good comparison at all. Wait until the next LaCrosse to see how Buick is going to be. It should be very similar to the Chinese one seeing how they are being developed together as one model for the most part, and it will show us how the "global" Buick will turn out. That's like comparing the Malibu to the CTS and saying the Malibu is complete crap because it doesn't compare in the least to the CTS.

The Nova based Skylarks in the late 70's were renames of the 73-75 Apollo, and forgettable. The A bodied 'Larks from 65-72 were way better and more collectable.

Anyway, like the 2010 Camaro, I will believe it when it's for sale in dealers.

Wait, you still don't believe the Camaro will be built?

:rolleyes:

You're comparing a $50+k car to a $20+k car. I would hope the $50k one would be much nicer looking. I'm not saying the LaCrosse is a great car, but that's not a very good comparison at all. Wait until the next LaCrosse to see how Buick is going to be. It should be very similar to the Chinese one seeing how they are being developed together as one model for the most part, and it will show us how the "global" Buick will turn out. That's like comparing the Malibu to the CTS and saying the Malibu is complete crap because it doesn't compare in the least to the CTS.

Well not quite, because the CTS and Malibu aren't in the same brand portfolio...a more accurate comparison would be the DTS to the CTS...in the CTS' favor.

If we ant to do another comparison...this one is actually more accurate...

"Americanized" G6 GXP (which was recently unveiled)

Posted Image

VS

"Not Americanized" G8

Posted Image

And remember, just because a car is cheaper doesn't mean it can't be beautiful.

Posted Image

Just to clarify, I'm not saying American design is bad, because we've got such awesomness as said Sky, Charger, Corvette Z06 and so on...but there's no need to "Americanize" a car to fit a "brand identity" that doesn't really exist. Buick has portholes and a waterfall grill...and to a smaller extent curvy lines...which for the most part haven't worked out for it...and Pontiac had it's split grill and hood scoops.

Edited by Dodgefan

The Nova based Skylarks in the late 70's were renames of the 73-75 Apollo, and forgettable. The A bodied 'Larks from 65-72 were way better and more collectable.

I'll definately agree with you here.

Posted Image

Anyway, like the 2010 Camaro, I will believe it when it's for sale in dealers.

But this is a go and isn't it supposed to be 2009?

That said, I do hope if they bring back the Skylark name then they put it on something worthwhile. Let's not bring back names just to bring them back. If they do make a new Skylark then a GS and GSX could be performance versions (as long as they really perform).