Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Anybody else like Smashing Pumpkins?

Great band, one of the ones from the 90s that I think will be still be remembered long after the fact. It's one of the few bands where they have changed their style throughout the years yet I still enjoy it all. My favorite album is Siamese Dream. My favorites on it are Soma, Disarm, Cherub Rock, and Mayonnaise. Soma is just a kick ass song, one of the best ones put out by SP IMHO.

People complained about Adore's change of direction but I like it. And even though Machina didn't sell well, it's a great album with a lot of good songs. One thing SP never seemed to do was sell out their sound to become more mainstream. They always did their own thing and a lot of their songs are very introspective and just have a sound that is entirely unique to them. I'm hoping the new album lives up to the rest of them...the cover is very interesting; Lady Liberty sinking with a setting sun in the background, quite symbolic of the state of America today.

Posted Image

Old group image from '93

Posted Image

Edited by mustang84

I like them. I think they got unfairly lumped in with the other grunge bands in the mid 90s because Melon Collie..... had a lot of songs that dealt with teen angst, etc. I wasn't too thrilled with Adore, but really like the songs on Machina and the two new ones from the Rotten Apples CD.

I've been a fan. I have (in chronological order) siamese dream, pisces iscariot (which I am listening to right now, thanks mustang), Mellon Collie and Adore. When I saw them live at an HFStival years ago, the sound was terrible, which turned me off. Still like their CDs though, want to hear more from the new one. Is the lineup still the same this time?

Everyone is going crazy right now around here... They're currently performing at one of the local clubs up town for like 9 nights in a row or something.

They decided to play one venue on the west coast and one on the east coast... looks like trAsheville was the venue of choice for this coast.

Yes... my late teen years are full of memories involving S.P. songs.

I love 1979, I was born in 1979 so it fits.

Guest YellowJacket894

Great band. I do regret giving Machina to a friend of mine. I just found the album hard to get into, though, compared to the early releases.

What can I say? I love "Zero" (and the Evergreen Terrace cover version as well).

I'll have to review them now that I'm well beyond my grunge phase. The only songs of theirs that I heard and liked were Zero and Bullet with Butterfly Wings. A lot of the other stuff was too mellow. But like I said, I'll have to look them over.

Smashing pumpkins is my favourite passtime! Wait... What?

Oh.. The band.. Riiiiight...

Yeah, I like them! :D

So I downloaded two songs from this new album, "Doomsday Clock" and "Tarantula", hmm... As much as you guys seem to like them, I'm not feeling it. I think I'll do as I said and stick to Soad. :P

Check out their older catalog (pre-Adore). I haven't heard the songs you are talking about yet, but SP's older stuff is very good.