So I have a choice to make (+updates)

Focus vs. T/A  

19 members have voted

1. 1. I'm adding this for you, FOG. -Camino

• Keep the Focus
    • Trade for the T/A

My current daily driver (as most of you know) is a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3. Recently I ran across a Trans Am that looks to be in my price range (finally) So, I'm going to drive the Pontiac tomorrow and if I can swing it I *might* trade. But I'm really attached to the Focus and it's excellent gas mileage.

THE BREAKDOWN

2001 Ford Focus ZX3

* 2.0L DOHC I-4/ 5 speed manual

* 84,900 miles

* Excellent gas mileage/Generally fun to drive

* Paid off in roughly 2 years

* Positive equity

1998 or 1999 (Not sure which) Pontiac Trans Am

* LS1/ 6 speed manual

* 85,000 miles

* All the options including leather

* $8900 takes it home

* Not a WS6 unfortunately

The main thing about the Focus is that it's a nice car that I'm not upside down on but it's not really my persona. I've always wanted a Trans Am and it would fit me so much better, yet it would probably be a bit higher payment and would be another 2 or so years of payments. According to EPA.GOV I'd be losing 5 MPG in the city and 2 MPG on the highway (The highway is most important because of my frequent trips home) that works out to roughly $300 more per year in fuel. The other expense concern would be insurance. I have a picture perfect driving record, but naturally it will be more $$$ than the Focus but I could offset some of that cost by switching my Camaros to classic car insurance.

I'm not sure what to do... I'd love to have the Trans Am, but I'm not sure I want to give up the characteristics of the Focus and I'm not sure I want to buy a car that is 2-3 years older.

UPDATES ON LIFE

1) I haven't been around much lately because I cut off the internet at my house. I figured I'd try to brave one month without internet before I move back to school and hook up the cable.

2) My family recently purchased a Buick... TA-DA, a low mileage 1993 Regal Custom now resides in my driveway (white wall tires, wire hubcaps and all) to cut down on fuel costs as the Silverado has been parked. It's not a bad car, has the 3800 and reminds me a lot of my 1990 Lumina from back in the day (Not a good thing nessecerily, since it is supposed to be a few steps up) I don't really like driving it though because it seems so floaty and is extremely hard for me to get in and out of.

3) I recently posted the topic about needing custom plates for the Camaros... I think I have decided to take Camino's suggestion on the '68 and get "Primal" meaning first/original and I think I have settled on "Thrash" for the '73 because of my love for thrash metal. That would incorporate my two loves, cars and music. And, too, with the 406 and all the car does thrash a lot.

Edited by Camino LS6
adding poll

Wow... Focus or Trans Am.... :scratchchin:

Dude, you only live once - go for the Trans Am!!! :thumbsup: But be logical about it and make sure you can afford it and that it won't kill you financially. I had a '95 Trans Am and sorely miss it; however, having two kids (13 & 2), a T/A isn't a great, practical family hauler. Go for the fun while you can.

Just my :twocents:

Very cool that you picked "Primal". :thumbsup:

I think you'll be surprised at how much you will save by putting the Camaros on Classic insurance, I bet that it will more than offset any additonal premium for the T/A over the Focus. You should do this even if you don't buy the T/A.

I agree with Ocn, drive the T/A first.

I say you use this opportunity to get the car you know you've always lusted after:

Posted Image

Admit it - a beige 02-06 Camry is what really sets your heart afire. Ever since that rental a couple of years ago you've longed for another one. Why wait? Do it now. You're only young once.

If you'll be doing mostly highway driving then you can expect MPG in the high 20's, maybe very low 30's, assuming you stick around 65-70, in 6th gear. So the fuel economy is good, but it's the extra 10-30 cents per gallon of premium gas to consider...

If it were me, I'd get the Trans Am. But like you said, I'd be leery about the insurance costs, especially if you aren't 25 yet. Part of the reason I'm still driving my Lumina in college is to save money on insurance to pay off loans. I'd say go for it if you can afford the insurance.

It seems like a good deal but I would ask myself if I had enough toys or not at some point. I mean yo do have two nicley restored Camaros right? The Trans Am will cost a lot more in gas and insurance. If those weren't an issue and I was in your shoes I'd do it in a heart beat. If I only had the focus I'd do it in a heart beat. Having two sick Camaros though, I'd have to weigh the cost of the new car compared to my other debts and really think if it is worth it or responsiable to do it. That being said I'll be the first to admit that I don't always do the responsible thing financially.

I say you use this opportunity to get the car you know you've always lusted after:

Posted Image

Admit it - a beige 02-06 Camry is what really sets your heart afire. Ever since that rental a couple of years ago you've longed for another one. Why wait? Do it now. You're only young once.

Older people buy the Camry, so he should wait until his like 60 and then he'll be right in line with the Camry's age demographic.

Tee!!! Aaa!!! all the way!!!

Drive the T/A and see how much you like it.

I would never take the GTO to school, so in your case I'd probably stick with the Focus and wait until I was done to get something I really wanted. If the GTO got lots of dings and scratches as most cars that "live" on campus do, I'd be pretty pissed, and I assume that you'd be the same way with the T/A. With the Focus, you obviously wouldn't be happy, but I don't think it'd mean as much since the Focus is "just a car" and the T/A actually would mean something to you.

So, I guess if I were deciding, I'd stay with the Focus and get a T/A or something after I got out.

At school you will have to worry about the T/A getting vandalized...that is a garage type car. Plus winter driving? I am 1000% for you getting the T/A and ridding your mojo of the Focus...but practicality might be more important here.

And my Corvette automatic is returning high 20's in mixed driving, so the 6M should do better than that.

At school you will have to worry about the T/A getting vandalized...that is a garage type car. Plus winter driving? I am 1000% for you getting the T/A and ridding your mojo of the Focus...but practicality might be more important here.

And my Corvette automatic is returning high 20's in mixed driving, so the 6M should do better than that.

Mid 20's and my Cobalt won't even make it to 25 mpg?!

Mid 20's and my Cobalt won't even make it to 25 mpg?!

What the heck are you doing to that poor car? :P I get 27 in pure city driving. This last tank was a mix of city/hwy and I averaged 31.

FOG, I'd seriously consider getting the TA if the test drive goes well. Good examples are becoming harder to come by, and they are still commanding a decent price. If the expenses for the TA kills you, you can always pick up another 4cyl car for a DD, but hold onto the TA foras long as possible It might be possible to get it insured by the same insurance outfit that you'll use for the Camaros, but as an exotic. It's true...American Colllector's INsurance, for example, would have let me do it with an SSR. If you do both the Camaros with one company, they might be willing to work with you on the TA.

this is an interesting thread because it is an example of the function/need vs. want/fun dilemma everyone faces buying a car.

i would lean to the T/A, although check the T/A for rust before you decide.

at least you know what's wrong with your focus. hard to be sure what the 'issues' might be with the t/a.

it's like when they were running 199 leases on new GTO's....my gm card would have taken care of the downpayment and the wife said 'you can have one'.....but she knew putting the kid in the backseat of the two door would make me mad, and she knew RWD on winter ice would make me mad and she knew the 9 cu ft trunk would make me mad. so i ended up with the 500 instead. GRRRRRRRR

Edited by regfootball

...and you're still mad. :AH-HA_wink:

You know what, if I were buying any used car, especially a sports car, I'd check it for questionable body repairs. Look inside the door jambs, look at the front aprons, anywhere you can think of for anything that seems obvious, or suspicious. Yes, quality repairs can be made, but there are some chop shops left out there, and so many F-bodies and Mustangs have been in accidents...

I think you'll be surprised at how much you will save by putting the Camaros on Classic insurance, I bet that it will more than offset any additonal premium for the T/A over the Focus. You should do this even if you don't buy the T/A.

I checked on it a few years ago and the savings were HUGE. But I wanted to hold off until I got the cars a little further along (Because the insurance is based on what the cars appraise for)

LOL... Death before Toyota!

Older people buy the Camry, so he should wait until his like 60 and then he'll be right in line with the Camry's age demographic.

LOL I'm only 25 but I'm already finding gray hairs in my goatee... Maybe that qualifies me for bland "my car" land...

I would never take the GTO to school, so in your case I'd probably stick with the Focus and wait until I was done to get something I really wanted. If the GTO got lots of dings and scratches as most cars that "live" on campus do, I'd be pretty pissed, and I assume that you'd be the same way with the T/A. With the Focus, you obviously wouldn't be happy, but I don't think it'd mean as much since the Focus is "just a car" and the T/A actually would mean something to you.

That's an excellent point! So far I haven't had any trouble finding "acceptable" parking places but I'm also not afraid to hike what feels like a mile to class either.

I went to check out the car today and it was pretty much all that I had hoped for; a nice slightly used F-Body that I could clean up to be something very nice. I did not test drive it though because I'm not sure about financing right now (Not that I couldn't get financed, just haven't checked on it) I did sit in it and discover that I am very cramped and that I hate the GM coal chamber interior. But honestly, I'm so big that I'm pretty much cramped in ANYTHING this side of a conversion van.

Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted but right now it looks like odds are still on the Focus.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I guess the way I look at it is when I was in college and grad school, most of the time my car sat outside, exposed to the horrid Ohio/Michigan/Illinois winters, so I usually drove vehicles that were reliable, but not ones I cared about the appearance of. My Mustang GT stayed at my folk's place in a heated garage, and I pretty much only drove it when I visited home.. I didn't want to sit outside and deteriorate...

I called the bank about financing and got the bad news I was affraid of getting.

The car is too old to be financed on a used car loan (and my window of opportunity is closing fast if I want an F-Body--Usually the limit is 5 years old) I could technically get a personal loan but 1) Interest would be higher 2) I'd have to have a co-signer because of my low level of income. If it were a used car loan, the co-signer wouldn't be needed because naturally the car would be the asset that backs the loan.

I'm going to keep my eye out for something in the 2002 range. As of right now used Mustang GTs are running about 2-4 grand less than comparable F-bodies. Probably because they're plentiful and probably because the name is still being produced and demand is up for the new body style. Not to mention the F-Body was by many accounts a more desireable car in comparison anyway.